Menu

Wow!

amo_mea_filiis.

Ds and i just ran to CVS to get dd's meds (he wore his boots!) and there were new signs posted around the pharmacy. They were simple signs, printed in black and white, and just taped up in a few places. I asked the pharmacist if the signs were made because they were needed (meaning someone did something to prompt the signs being printed) and she said yes.

The signs are to let people know that there is NO SMOKING allowed in the store! It's 2013 and people still need to be told that you can't smoke inside almost all buildings?!

The signs are to let people know that there is NO SMOKING allowed in the store! It's 2013 and people still need to be told that you can't smoke inside almost all buildings?!

You know, I'm nearing 50yo and I don't remember any stores ever allowing smoking. Restaurants, yes, but stores--never.

You know, I'm nearing 50yo and I don't remember any stores ever allowing smoking. Restaurants, yes, but stores--never.

I'm past 50, and I do remember it. I remember my mom walking around the grocery store with a cigarette in hand. Department/discount stores too. They all had those ash tray trash cans throughout the store. :eek:

Florida has had no smoking indoors for so many years now, I don't even remember when it began.

Oh, yes, I remember smoking in stores...but not much. There was a time when it was not considered proper to walk with a cigarette in your hand, so perhaps those of you who are older than 50 grew up in an area where people knew The Rules, lol. I know that my grandmother would never have smoked in a store.

I worked in a small department store in the rural midwest in the early mid-'80s and people smoked while shopping.

Our family business was a gas station (full service, as was typical back then) and I have a picture of my grandpa pumping gas, smoking.

Restaurants in our hometown area just went smoke-free a few years ago. I know it was only five years ago that we were home and the hostess was smoking away while getting our menus and seating us.

There was a time when it was not considered proper to walk with a cigarette in your hand, so perhaps those of you who are older than 50 grew up in an area where people knew The Rules, lol. I know that my grandmother would never have smoked in a store.

Totally off topic, but it was also improper for a woman to smoke. My great grandparents disapproved of my grandfather's marriage because my grandmother smoked. Didn't matter that he also smoked. :tongue_smilie:

Really? I am quite a bit younger than you and I remember people smoking in stores. Might depend upon where you lived.

I think that it does. When I lived in a small KY town, people smoked in the grocery store. There were ashtrays at the ends of the isles and even the cashiers smoked. This was right around 1995 or so.

It probably depends on where you're from. I'm in the North East. I don't recall people smoking in stores when I was young. However, in the late 80's I went to visit my sister in NC. We went to the grocery store and there were older people smoking in the produce department. :ack2:

We smoked in our office at work until the mid-90s (Florida).

I wonder if the "No Smoking" sign is for those using ecigs? I can't imagine anyone would light up an actual cigarette inside of a store these days.

I've noticed a few signs lately telling people that ecigs are not allowed. Maybe people who smoke them think they don't count and it's been a problem in places that already have no-smoking policies. I don't know anything about ecigs, so I don't know what kind of smoke, if any, they emit.

Guest inoubliable

We vacationed in NC a lot when I was a kid. I remember people walking about the Piggly Wiggly smoking. I thought it was gross and then my mom told me that in NC.....tobacco was a fruit. :laugh: I don't know if it was legal, though. Now that I think about it, I suppose it could have just been a small town not giving a flip about whether they could or not.

Guest inoubliable

It probably depends on where you're from. I'm in the North East. I don't recall people smoking in stores when I was young. However, in the late 80's I went to visit my sister in NC. We went to the grocery store and there were older people smoking in the produce department. :ack2:

Oh good. It wasn't just me, then. And my memory isn't completely shot.

My husband smoked for a few years. His high school allowed students to smoke in the hallways between classes. His grad school in NYC allowed smoking during classes. Everyone smoked -- profs and students. They also held some of their classes at a beloved local bar, McSorley's Old Ale House. I wonder if any schools do that nowadays?

The only thing I ever attempted to smoke were clove cigarettes. They smelled so good. Too nasty to smoke, though.

I've noticed a few signs lately telling people that ecigs are not allowed. Maybe people who smoke them think they don't count and it's been a problem in places that already have no-smoking policies. I don't know anything about ecigs, so I don't know what kind of smoke, if any, they emit.

From what I've read, it's just water vapor.

I think that it does. When I lived in a small KY town, people smoked in the grocery store. There were ashtrays at the ends of the isles and even the cashiers smoked. This was right around 1995 or so.

It has just been in the past 2 years or so that people don't smoke in the grocery store here (very rural Kentucky).

Although here is a crazy one for ya. My mother smoked in her hospital bed after giving birth to me. Obviously I don't remember that..LOL. (That was over 38 years ago.)

I believe it. It was once common for people to light up anywhere and everywhere. I'm a former smoker, but I always tried to be considerate of where I smoked, even if it was allowed. I didn't smoke in my house either. Well, I did when I lived alone, but not when I had roommates, and not after dh and I moved in together.

Maybe it also depends on "when" you're from. Despite my username, I'm also from the northeast (NJ), and that's where I remember my mother smoking in stores. This was in the 1960's though. We moved to Florida in 1969, and people smoked everywhere here too.

My husband smoked for a few years. His high school allowed students to smoke in the hallways between classes. His grad school in NYC allowed smoking during classes. Everyone smoked -- profs and students. They also held some of their classes at a beloved local bar, McSorley's Old Ale House. I wonder if any schools do that nowadays?

There was a high school in the Orlando area (Winter Park High for those who might know it) that allowed smoking in the late 1980's, but not in the hallways. They had a student smoking lounge, and the students had to have parent permission to be allowed in.

I believe it. It was once common for people to light up anywhere and everywhere. I'm a former smoker, but I always tried to be considerate of where I smoked, even if it was allowed. I didn't smoke in my house either. Well, I did when I lived alone, but not when I had roommates, and not after dh and I moved in together.

Maybe it also depends on "when" you're from. Despite my username, I'm also from the northeast (NJ), and that's where I remember my mother smoking in stores. This was in the 1960's though. We moved to Florida in 1969, and people smoked everywhere here too.

There was a high school in the Orlando area (Winter Park High for those who might know it) that allowed smoking in the late 1980's, but not in the hallways. They had a student smoking lounge, and the students had to have parent permission to be allowed in.

I remember people smoking *everywhere* and those icky ash trays all around. And the cigarette vending machines. I'm glad those are all gone!!

Yes. In my childhood in NC men smoked at the grocery store and pretty much where ever else they pleased. I don't remember if ladies did the same. I am sure some must have, but can't recall.

I wad married in 1994 and moved to Georgia, where I still recall going to a grocery store and seeing people barefoot and smoking. I guess those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" existed for a reason.

Well, we're probably the same age. ;) I said I didn't "recall", that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I just don't remember it.

I'm past 50, and I do remember it. I remember my mom walking around the grocery store with a cigarette in hand. Department/discount stores too. They all had those ash tray trash cans throughout the store. :eek:

Florida has had no smoking indoors for so many years now, I don't even remember when it began.

I'm from Central Florida and I have a scar on my palm from where I walked into a cigar that a man was holding down while he was looking at yogurts in Publix (I couldn't have been more than 3....so, ummmm, more than 35 years ago). *As a side note - I can't believe I remember such tiny details about that incident.

Although here is a crazy one for ya. My mother smoked in her hospital bed after giving birth to me. Obviously I don't remember that..LOL. (That was over 38 years ago.)

The woman in the bed next to me lit up whole the babies were on the room in 1990. I'd requested a non smoking postpartum room (!) and they'd "run out" LOL Sometimes things change for the better

Lol, nurses used to light up at the nurse's station and most of our patient smoked too unless they were in a room where someone had oxygen. I had a prof in college who smoked in our pathophysiology lab......he would take his cigarette out of his mouth to use as a pointer as he showed us stuff on a specimen.

Really? I am quite a bit younger than you and I remember people smoking in stores. Might depend upon where you lived.

Me, too. I remember being really shocked when I was very young by seeing one of my teachers smoking in the mall. Just because she was a teacher, though. Lots of people smoked in the mall.