Menu

junky library books

Would it be wrong of me to kind of 'ban' the fluff books for a week or two from my girls (5th and 2nd grades)? Especially the 5th grader, she's reading all these Fairy books, Baily Schoolhouse, and Thea Stilton books. She flipped out when I made her read 6 pages of a DK Volcanoes and Earthquakes book today.... I'm like, you spend hours reading a handful of easy peasy books a day, but you're crying over having to read some nonfiction? Sounds like time to put things back in perspective.

What do you think? I'm happy they like to read, but they're reading EASY books for them and I don't like my 5th grader rarely challenging herself.

FTR, we're listening to Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH on CD, and she is about halfway through Little Women but just stopped. I've encouraged her recently to finish it, which she said she's interested in doing, but she just picks up those easy peasy books in her free time.

Suggestions?

Those fairy books -- so ridiculous! DD got bored with them when she realized that she was finishing multiple books before we even got home. I was so glad.

I don't have a problem banning that sort of stuff for a while, but I tend to go in a slightly different direction and let them read whatever they want in their free time, but they still have to read whatever I assign for schoolwork without complaining.

Here is what I do, all of my fluent readers (in this case the 9 and up) are limited to 2 fiction and must check out at least 2 nonfiction books (no maximum) from the library during the school year. THEN I have usually ordered some fiction that are ready for pickup that they can help themselves if there is any. That way they are much choosier about what they decide to take home. We visit the library once a week to 10 days and have an extensive book collection at home.

I have this problem with my 7th grader. She had been choosing books that are not only below her reasing level and but just fluff (think Diary of a Wimpy Kid). I finally decided to use bribery. I told her she had to read at least 6 "classics" and I would buy her a candy bar for each one (candy is a rare thing in our house and she has a very sweet tooth). So far she has read Black Beauty and Stuart Little, both below level but at least a classic. She has also listened to "The Hobbit" and "Bridge to Teribithia" on audio, but told her they didn't count since she didn't actually read them. I think she is working on "Treasure Island" right now. It is difficult to find books on her level that she is actually interested in reading and are good quality literature.

No, she means the junky chapter book fairies series that are recently written. Though Andrew Lang is a good suggestion for something better. ;)

I wouldn't ban or limit them. I just can't imagine doing that and the power struggle feels to me like it would come back to bite you eventually. I would simply push the required reading more solidly. The two are not necessarily linked, IMO.

No, she means the junky chapter book fairies series that are recently written.

Yes, she meant these ones, ugh!

I don't allow dd to check them out from the public library (also not the Geronimo Stilton, Wimpy Kid, kind of books). She sometimes brings back these books from her school library, and I don't nag her over those.

We've got a whole shelf full of those fairy books. Luckily she gave them up when she was around 8 or so. Dd doesn't care to read more than one book at a time. She chooses one, then I choose one. I always make sure I have plenty of what I want her to read on hand.

I don't generally put limits on what my kids do in their free time unless I feel that it gets in the way of school time. I limit screen time, because if I don't, I start seeing addictive behaviors creep into our day. ("Mom, when can we watch TV? Mom, can I play on the computer? Mom, can we watch TV, yet?" and on and on all day.) If I felt that their reading choices were affecting their outlook on schoolwork, I would not hesitate to place limits. I would say that reading fluff is a privilege that they must continually earn. I might even give out coupons for reading fluff for every time they do their assigned reading without complaint.

But are the reading choices actually effecting the schoolwork? I feel like a connection has been drawn when it may not actually exist. Her dd reads a lot of junky fairy books. And she got upset about having to read just a few pages of nonfiction. But why should the first be the cause? I just don't see the logic here. It's the equivalent of seeing a kid eat an apple and then seeing him throw up and saying, "Gee, I can't allow him to have apples anymore because they cause vomiting." Well, I guess there's a remote chance that the kid is allergic to apples, but we all know it's much more likely that he's caught a virus. I know it's not a popular view here, but every study I've ever read about this has said that letting kids read what they want in their free time leads to kids who read better across the board.

I hate to say this, because it would bug me too, but I would not limit her free time reading. I was an avid junk reader (Nancy Drew, babysitters club, etc). I read all the time and loved it. I read plenty of good books too, over the years. My mom tried to limit my fluff and encourage good books, but it just didn't work. I would just quit reading. Not to be willful or defiant...I just didn't want to read those books.

I would expect her to read school assignments without complaining, but let her read what she wanted in her free time.

To combat re-reading the same books over and over. I have turned our literature time in to a set reading time. My boys all read for a set time after lunch, based on age and ability. All books read during literature must be new to them and approved by mom. Can they occasionally read a Magic Treehouse or Geronimo Stiltion yes, but then they need to balance it out with other good literature. They are also assigned 1-2 books per month that I choose. These must be read and narrated to me. I have found forcing them to read decent to great literature every day is helping them to chose better books. Are they always great? No, but they are reading at or above their level most days. They are all reading fluently with good comprehension. They will all read a non-fiction book if asked even if that is not the preferred genre.

We didn't ban them but I did put limits on how many they could check out each time. DD managed to work her way through the entire Rainbow Fairies collection AND Geronimo Stilton via the library. When she wanted to take many out I would have her search for ones she hadn't read and/or limit it to 5 books at a time. For DS that limit applies to the Pokemon Graphic Novels he likes to check out. DD is fond of finding new books to try, I have to be the one to suggest books to DS but make him find several new to him books each trip. The only things I ban are things that just aren't age appropriate (as best I can anyways) - which is really hard to do for DD as she has already read so much of the 4th-6th grade books that interest her.

We didn't ban them but I did put limits on how many they could check out each time. DD managed to work her way through the entire Rainbow Fairies collection AND Geronimo Stilton via the library. When she wanted to take many out I would have her search for ones she hadn't read and/or limit it to 5 books at a time. For DS that limit applies to the Pokemon Graphic Novels he likes to check out. DD is fond of finding new books to try, I have to be the one to suggest books to DS but make him find several new to him books each trip. The only things I ban are things that just aren't age appropriate (as best I can anyways) - which is really hard to do for DD as she has already read so much of the 4th-6th grade books that interest her.

Melissa wanted to check out My Little Pony and Strawberry Shortcake books. I let her, but as long as she got 2 age appropriate books as well. It worked out very nicely, I might add.

Does she have a school book assigned that is age level? I make sure dd reads books I want her to read but schedule them in for school. This way I know she is always reading a book with more substance or on/slightly above her level. Because of this I don't have to ban the fluff she wants to read. I also have adopted the library idea from TWTM where they need to pick out a science book, poetry, folk/fairy tale, art, lifeskill, and biography every other week. She does not have to read everything but needs to read enough out of them to have gleaned some new info and report it to me. Everyone is happy with this arrangement...I know she is reading a wide variety and books on her level and she is able to get books that might be fluff.

I know the answer is probably yes, but has she been shown a variety of age appropriate fluff? If you can get her away from that particular style (like the Fairy ones), maybe she'll find something else that clicks with her. At least if she's a bit more challenged by the level, you may be able to forgive some of the "fluffier" topics.

We started categorizing books as either broccoli books or candy books and we let our kids know what kinds of books fell under each category. We always tell our kids that to be a healthy person you have to eat a variety of foods and limit your sweets as well as control how you spend your time with a variety of activities. I suggest having family time, every night before bed, where as a family you read good "broccoli" books. We always read for about 30 minutes, before the kids go up to their rooms to read to themselves. Also, set a good example by reading your own broccoli books and have them read their own "broccoli" books as part of the school curriculum. But in the end, let them read what they want during their own free time.

My DS is a good reader and since we began homeschooling, we have had official school reading time. During his school time, he must read books of my choice. I used to do 30min fiction and 30min non fiction every day. Now that he's older, we mix it up more and the time is longer, but that's the basic plan. Some of these books are books he would never have chosen on his own and ends up liking and then reading more by that author on his own time. Some of them are books he didn't like and that's ok. He usually really likes the non fiction ones, but never chooses them on his own. After he reads my selection for the day, he is free to read whatever he wants. If he is smart and picks good books, then his choice might become my choice for the day.

On the other hand, a couple of my kids have had a more difficult time learning to read. They are the same age as my son when we started the my choice/his choice system but I don't think they are ready for that. I let them choose whatever they want for their quiet reading time because I want them to like reading. We read my choices orally for now.

Would it be wrong of me to kind of 'ban' the fluff books for a week or two from my girls (5th and 2nd grades)? Especially the 5th grader, she's reading all these Fairy books, Baily Schoolhouse, and Thea Stilton books. She flipped out when I made her read 6 pages of a DK Volcanoes and Earthquakes book today....

If she's not reading what you, the "teacher", has assigned or if she's otherwise not co-operating with school work, banning her from something she enjoyed for a period of time seems an appropriate punishment.

I'd only ban the one who flipped out when you asked her to read 6 pages the Volcanoes and Earthquake book. And if she has any reading disabilities, I'd seek another method of discipline.

We struggled through this too. We just limit the number that come home and require a variety to be checked out. Set her up to enjoy another kind of book by reading one aloud, just up to the fascinating part. Then, just say, "eh, I'm tired of reading today." See if they don't grab that book and keep going by themselves. ;-)

We started categorizing books as either broccoli books or candy books and we let our kids know what kinds of books fell under each category. We always tell our kids that to be a healthy person you have to eat a variety of foods and limit your sweets as well as control how you spend your time with a variety of activities. I suggest having family time, every night before bed, where as a family you read good "broccoli" books. We always read for about 30 minutes, before the kids go up to their rooms to read to themselves. Also, set a good example by reading your own broccoli books and have them read their own "broccoli" books as part of the school curriculum. But in the end, let them read what they want during their own free time.

I agree that it's important to get your vegetables so to speak, and to read good, challenging books that are beautifully written. But if I did that and said to my kids that some books are better than others, it would cut my kids' reading in half. My kids are so easily influenced by my opinion that if I say I think a book is junky, they simply won't read it, even if that's not my intention. And if they didn't read the light stuff, then their reading fluency and practice would drop because as much as they enjoy reading the challenging stuff... it's more challenging.

I agree reading in front of your kids is really key though. And demonstrating that you're reading fun things and things that challenge you.

If a child isn't getting their schoolwork done, then yes, taking away other free time is totally fair. But again, why is a connection being drawn here to this particular activity? I can't imagine giving a punishment that involves taking away pleasure reading. It's like making a child write lines - it's sure to turn them off to writing - and this seems like it could potentially make a child associate reading with control and unpleasantness.

I don't know the fairy books the OP means, but my kids went through a period of reading the Gail Carson Levine Disney fairy books. They are a higher reading level than those others fairy books appear to be. I didn't really like the Disney aspect of it, but it was free reading choice so I didn't really care. (after my quick preview of them---which I always do) Something like those may lead the OP's dd to the Ella Enchanted stories or others. At least she would be reading a book by a Newbery award winning author even if it is Disneyized. That was my thinking when my ds read those books. The art is pretty good!

And then I would introduce her to other fairy books. Peter Pan, Andrew Lang stories, Tolkien (she might like the elves), Five Children and It, Treasury of Flower Fairies (poetry) and so on. Even something fantastical like Catwings.

My ds also gets stuck wanting to read the same tawdle over and over. I guess it's comforting. And easier than being overstimulated by all the options at the library to choose from. It helps to have a plan to show kids how to narrow down a search at the library.

I have banned my ds from checking out the same books over and over from the library. But I scaffold him when choosing other things. We may just pick one area of the library (the A's for example) and just look and I show him how to skim through and read the back. It also helps to read excerpts. He has decided to look for Mrs Piggle Wiggle and The Borrowers on his own after getting a taste from WWE. I do require him to take out two nonfiction as well as his other choices.

I do have limits on what my child is allowed to read. I don't allow things like Big Nate comics or Wimpy Kids because I do not like the values in them. My ds understands that. In future I wouldn't allow Twilight or Hunger Games for the same reason. I'll let my littles look at Dora or Sesame Street type books, but I don't buy them and any given to us eventually get donated. I honestly believe that if you surround children with quality (and quality twaddle can be found, paradoxical as it seems) literature from the get go, by read alouds and guiding them in their library browsing and teaching them critical reading skills, they'll choose high art over low art more often.

I just don't understand categorizing books as good or bad, or for school or not, because I choose not to keep books in the house I would object to anyway. There are a lot of pretty horrible books out there that are just mass produced and have very little redeeming qualities. But it's nice to give your brain a break. Sometimes I read a book that is way beneath my intellectual ability because it's fun. Think about all the adult twaddle available that everyone succumbs to at some point in their lives. At one point certain classics were considered frivolous wastes of time. Honestly I feel if an adult only read Tolstoy, Hesse, or Dostoevsky and never tried the Anne Rice or the Dan Browns of the world, they wouldn't be a very well rounded individual.

There's just plain silly mass marketed fluff and then there's *fluff*. You have to learn how to tell the difference.

She is probably not going to be reading the fairy books when she is 15 though. I would deal with the school issue separately, get he to get at least not all the same author/series from the library and seed books around the house. Maybe the books are performing an emotional function. Admittedly I hated little women but I have read other classics.