Menu

Gluten free bakers - how many flours do you have?

Granny_Weatherwax

I have a recipe for a teff flour upside down cranberry cake that I wanted to try. Today is dreary, icy and cold so I thought a nice cheery cranberry confection would brighten the day.

Once I popped it into the oven I decided to clean off the shelf with my GF flours.

I have 13 different bags of flours and starches.

Teff, Tapioca, almond, white rice, brown rice, sourghum, potato, etc.

I also have two containers of flour blends - one for yeast breads and one for non-yeast goods. These are a mixture of the other flours and don't really count as different types.

This GF lifestyle is wonderful but somewhat complicated in the kitchen. I do love it though. B)

The following are in my baking mix, so I use them the most:

brown rice

gram (garbanzo bean)

quinao

tapioca starch potato starch

I also have:

corn starch

sorgum

teff

sweet rice

coconut

I think more.

I have used white rice, but not anymore.

I have a yeast mix, but I don't really make yeast breads anymore. I decided the mix doesn't have enough nutrients. If I recall correctly, the mix is corn starch, tapioca starch a couple other things. It makes really good sandwich bread, but I don't think good tasting sandwich bread is good for me or the kids so much. We don't do a lot of sandwiches now.

I have used white rice, but not anymore.

I have a yeast mix, but I don't really make yeast breads anymore. I decided the mix doesn't have enough nutrients. If I recall correctly, the mix is corn starch, tapioca starch a couple other things. It makes really good sandwich bread, but I don't think good tasting sandwich bread is good for me or the kids so much. We don't do a lot of sandwiches now.

Why did you stop using white rice flour?

I don't eat many sandwiches anymore either.

Why did you stop using white rice flour?

I don't eat many sandwiches anymore either.

Because it has less fiber. We've been gf for 11 years. I adjusted to gf baking differences a long time ago. Now, I'm challenging myself to get more nutritional bang from my cooking and baking. For me white rice does not fit. I'm substituting flax for some of my flour now too.

I bake with regularly:

1. millet flour
  2. corn flour
  3. garbanzo bean flour
  4. sorghum flour
  5. corn starch
  6. sweet rice flour
  7. tapioca starch
  8. potato starch
  9. arrowroot starch
  10. coconut flour
  11. quinoa flakes

and i use these in small quantities in yeast breads for 'whole grain' effect:

1. rice bran
  2. buckwheat groats
  3. hemp protein powder

I have one flour mix for my son's sandwich bread, which uses some flours I cant tolerate (tapioca and sorghum), and I have a sweet break/muffin/cake mix. Over xmas i mixed up extra of my biscuit flour mix, which i usually make as needed, to use in some of the cookie recipes.

and of course, corn meal, mostly for corn bread though.

I need to find tapioca starch. Tapioca flour is the only thing I can find. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong part of the store.

Can anyone tell me where it would be? Or are you getting it in specialty stores?

I also cannot find garbanzo bean or quinoa flours.

Tapioca flour and starch are the same thing. Potato flour and potato starch are *not* the same thing. But tapioca is. I know. Weird.

Have you checked Amazon for flours? I get some from there.

I'm baking more and more with grain free flour such as flax, coconut, almond, etc.

tapioca starch and flour are the same things, unlike potato. there is some sort of processed tapioca starch/flour, but i dont know where to find that. Have you checked out your local health food stores for the flours? I tried several quinoa flours but did not like the taste, but i LOVE the flakes. they give great body, kinda like baking with oats (which we cant do). the quinoa flakes are in the hot cereal area. and i use garbanzo, garfava and soy flours interchangeably, but my daughter was off soy, so i dropped the soy for a while

Tapioca flour and starch are the same thing. Potato flour and potato starch are *not* the same thing. But tapioca is. I know. Weird.

Have you checked Amazon for flours? I get some from there.

I'm baking more and more with grain free flour such as flax, coconut, almond, etc.

Well, it seems as if I missed the memo on Tapioca.

I have been using almond and coconut as well. My new cookbooks have sections dedicated to each type of flour so it has been easier to get out of my comfort zone.

Have you checked out your local health food stores for the flours? I tried several quinoa flours but did not like the taste, but i LOVE the flakes. they give great body, kinda like baking with oats (which we cant do). the quinoa flakes are in the hot cereal area. and i use garbanzo, garfava and soy flours interchangeably, but my daughter was off soy, so i dropped the soy for a while

I have to go to the bigger city for the less common flours (i.e. teff and millet). I'll have to look for quinoa flakes there, too. I have regular quinoa but not flakes. I haven't seen the flour either.

I should look online.

Well, it seems as if I missed the memo on Tapioca.

I have been using almond and coconut as well. My new cookbooks have sections dedicated to each type of flour so it has been easier to get out of my comfort zone.

Would you mind giving the titles of the cookbooks? Dd8 is on a wheat-free diet and a two day rotation diet so I am always on the lookout for non rice-centric recipes.

White rice flour

Brown rice flour (often in use)

Tapioca flour (often in use)

Teff flour (often in use)

Sorghum flour (often in use)

Potato Starch

Cornstarch

Corn flour

Oat flour (seldom used)

Almond flour

Hazelnut flour

I measure by weight as a substitute and amend my old recipe books as I go. I've found that banana bread with Teff flour as part of the mix is outstanding. All my flours live in the refrigerator or in the freezer.

I don't bake as often as I once did, though.

Not nearly that many. Besides having a celiac, we have a whole lot of other "issues". I can't stand the taste of garbanzo flour or quinoa. I'm allgergic to corn, teff, sorghum and millet as well as wheat, and my other dd has anaphylactic reactions to tree nuts as well as things like chichory that are found in some gf mixes. We've just slowly been moving to doing fewer breads overall. This month, I'm trying out snack bars and granola bars that are flourless.

Would you mind giving the titles of the cookbooks? Dd8 is on a wheat-free diet and a two day rotation diet so I am always on the lookout for non rice-centric recipes.

Here is the lady's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Real-Sustenance-Gluten-and-Dairy-Free-Recipes/149273335092266

Here are the cookbooks: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gluten-Free-Baking-Guide-Part/dp/0977611140/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gluten-Free-Baking-Guide-Part/dp/1938104013/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

They were on special a while back, BOGO.

All of the recipes I have tried have been wonderful. I like these cookbooks because she discusses the pros and cons of each flour, when they should and shouldn't be used, substitutes that work and don't work, and much more.

Brittany is always posting DF, GF, and EF recipes on her FB page.

Oh, gosh, I gave up on gluten free baking unless I'm using a mix. I used to buy so many flours, but still, needed to buy another one every time I wanted to try a new recipe. Add to that the terrible results I got about 75% of the time and I decided to stick with a few good mixes. We don't have baked goods except on special occasions anymore anyway.

Here is the lady's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Real-Sustenance-Gluten-and-Dairy-Free-Recipes/149273335092266

Here are the cookbooks: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gluten-Free-Baking-Guide-Part/dp/0977611140/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Gluten-Free-Baking-Guide-Part/dp/1938104013/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

They were on special a while back, BOGO.

All of the recipes I have tried have been wonderful. I like these cookbooks because she discusses the pros and cons of each flour, when they should and shouldn't be used, substitutes that work and don't work, and much more.

Brittany is always posting DF, GF, and EF recipes on her FB page.

Thank you very much!

I have a home made mixture of sorghum, potato starch, and tapioca, and another mix with those three plus white rice flour (dh is allergic to brown rice). I also have coconut flour and almond flour in the freezer but I don't know what to do with them - they are so expensive I'm afraid to use them. :o

Do any of you grind your own flours? Do you need to buy it already ground?

I am not gluten free but I have used my nutrimill to make flour from garbonzo beans, lentils, black beans, quinoa, and millet. I use a coffee grinder to make almond flour. I buy coconut flour because that one is work to make.

but your avatar is a cupcake :laugh: :drool5:

That's because it looks so delicious and wonderful. LOL! I really cannot eat sweets anymore except on rare occasions and after a full meal. Otherwise, my blood sugar goes whacky on me. So sad, but true. The cupcake makes me feel better somehow.

And I used to love to bake and was quite good at it. It all stopped 10 1/2 years ago when my son went gluten free. Or, at least it slowly fitzed out over time once I realized I was never going to be able to bake anything that was satisfactory to me. Since then, I've also realized I've got major problems with sugar, so I really avoid it. A blessing in disguise, I guess you could say.

• 2 weeks later...

dont know why it didnt occur to me to link this - a blog post i made 3 years ago about the flours in my pantry, complete with a picture - click on the pic for full size. of course, its so out of date! i've gotten rid of some stuff and added others, but still i thought the pic was such a clear visual of how complicated the gluten free lifestyle is

dont know why it didnt occur to me to link this - a blog post i made 3 years ago about the flours in my pantry, complete with a picture - click on the pic for full size. of course, its so out of date! i've gotten rid of some stuff and added others, but still i thought the pic was such a clear visual of how complicated the gluten free lifestyle is

Thanks for sharing.

I have...

Grain: sorghum, millet, quinoa, white rice, brown rice, sweet rice, potato

Bean: garfava

Other: almond, coconut

Starches: corn, tapioca, potato, arrowroot

Mixed: cup-4-cup, Mama's almond blend, Bob's GF ap.

I'm trying to do more grain-free baking, so I use the almond and coconut for most things, c4c or mama's for pizza crust.