Menu

s/o How to introduce grammar stage children to mythology?

This is a S/O of not wanting to expose children to Greek mythology through Percy Jackson.

I am wondering what the best way is to expose children to harder reading like Greek Mythology? And WHY do we need to expose them to this at such early ages (I will have to re-read WTM to clarify some of these things).

This thread was really helpful to me when I asked about reading classics in general: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/448291-when-encouraging-children-to-read-the-classics/page__hl__+classics#entry4600189

Greek Mythology isn't something I've even tried to tackle yet, my oldest 2 are in 5th and 2nd grade so I guess it's time to think about it.

I schedule it in school as it correlates to the era we are studying. I personally do not think the means of first exposure is that important, so if they encounter it in their own leisure reading prior to a formal study I really don't give a hoot.

Why expose them? Because they are wonderful stories, ages old for good reason. They are stories that make us culturally literate. I like illustrated versions for grammar stage, but ones that don't baby up the language or talk down.

SWB's idea of exposing children to the great stories in grammar stage, then again in logic, then again in rhetoric is so that they have a familiarity and comfort with and affection for the material. The unabridged works are less likely to intimidate if the kids have grown up on the stories. But no one "needs" to go with early and repeated exposure if it isn't a fit for values.

This is a S/O of not wanting to expose children to Greek mythology through Percy Jackson.

I am wondering what the best way is to expose children to harder reading like Greek Mythology? And WHY do we need to expose them to this at such early ages (I will have to re-read WTM to clarify some of these things).

This thread was really helpful to me when I asked about reading classics in general: http://forums.welltr...cs#entry4600189

Greek Mythology isn't something I've even tried to tackle yet, my oldest 2 are in 5th and 2nd grade so I guess it's time to think about it.

Do you have a particular concern about introducing your Dc to mythology? I'm asking so I can tailor my answer to your situation. As to the why, I don't think you do 'have to' expose them to mythology or a particularly difficult level of reading. That's your choice. I opted to wait until my Dc were older to cover mythology. As to harder reading, they read books that were as difficult as they wanted for leisure (and still do). I'd say read alouds at the ages of your Dc were generally well above their independent reading level (but not far above their comprehension level). Occasionally we still read some picture books. Even though they may not be difficult, some are written with great skill and beauty which we can still appreciate. Otho Dd is reading Jane Austen's Emma, which will maybe be difficult for her, though maybe not since she read Pride & Prejudice earlier this year and blew me away by joining in on Ds's TOG Rhetoric discussion. Time will tell. It really is all a matter of what fits your family.

Do you have a particular concern about introducing your Dc to mythology?

No, not at all. I would like them to be exposed to more meatier and classic stories, and I just haven't figured out a way to get them there yet. I posted on the other thread why consistent read alouds aren't always possible, and I still need to try the audiobook idea. I think Greek myths will be impossible to do without reading them aloud though.

No, not at all. I would like them to be exposed to more meatier and classic stories, and I just haven't figured out a way to get them there yet. I posted on the other thread why consistent read alouds aren't always possible, and I still need to try the audiobook idea. I think Greek myths will be impossible to do without reading them aloud though.

There are (roughly) a bajillion good audio books for Greek myths and lit. For starters, the D'Aulaire book and a wonderful version of the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne are on audio. The Odyssey narrator is outstanding. DS9 has listened to it probably a dozen times. (It is cheaper on Audible.)

http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Greek-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/0449014169/ref=tmm_abk_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1359163257&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061254576/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I found that my boys had vivid imaginations and spent a lot of time in make believe situations. It seemed to be a natural thing to introduce them to stories of old - fairy tales, Greek/Roman mythology, etc. None of them had issues with it. They loved the Odds Bodkin audio version of The Odyssey when they were all young. From there we added in age appropriate reading materials of the same stories. We liked the Rosemary Sutcliff versions in middle school and the Grueber's Story of... series.

I introduced my kids to the Greek gods at a very early age. Instead of giving my little boys plastic action figures I read them stories from D'aulaire. Aren't Greek gods the original hero/ action figures? They also listened to Jim Weiss story CDs and any other picture books I could get my hands on. There are really quite a lot of excellent children's books that deal with Greek myths. We read Mary Pope Osborne's retelling of The Odyssey many, many time, there are lots of other retellings of the Odyssey etc on CD that I got from our library. There is also a CD version of the MPO Odyssey that my younger son got one Christmas. We really have lots of it about.

From that we branched out. They enjoy reading Norse and Egyptian mythology in both tradition versions (translated) and popular retellings.

There are (roughly) a bajillion good audio books for Greek myths and lit. For starters, the D'Aulaire book and a wonderful version of the Odyssey by Mary Pope Osborne are on audio. The Odyssey narrator is outstanding. DS9 has listened to it probably a dozen times. (It is cheaper on Audible.)

http://www.amazon.co...59163257&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Check your library too. I was able to listen to some audio classics through my laptop. I had access for two weeks at a time. We were able to listen to some audio books that would have been quite expensive otherwise. Sometimes my voice gets tired.

I would get from the library the Greek Myths and Norse Myths by D'Aulaires and Gods and Goddesses of Olympus by Aliki, especially for the 2nd grader. Then let them take it from there.

My 6yo read all these books and they really sparked his passion for mythology. Percy Jackson just fed the fire.

You can't go wrong with the D'Aulaires. I'd pick up their Norse Myths too.

I agree. Dd loves the D'Aulaires books and re-reads them regularly. I believe sotw ancients is where we first came across mythology. There were tons of nicely illustrated picture books on Egyptian, Greek & Roman mythology. Dd enjoyed them so much she's become a little mythology expert. We started sotw early so she was first introduced to the stories when she was 4 or 5 (my memory is getting fuzzy) and is now almost 8.

She read the Mary Pope Osbourne Oddyssey books but after getting some reviews here I decided against letting her read the Percy Jackson ones for now.

For those of you who use Netflix, one interesting things that has come out of her being a mythology buff is that dh showed her the classic avengers cartoons and something called super-hero squad and shelved the episodes. The current movie would be way to scary and intense for her because she's very sensitive but I think she has watched all the classic cartoons along with a few others that came up in "you might also like" after watching the avengers. She compares the different ways Thor & Loki look and talk in the various versions and gets a kick out of it.

I just have to throw this out there. I don't personally feel that Greek Mythology is *hard*

I was reading anything and everything I could find on Greek myths when I was around 10 or 11 years old.

There are so many ways to share these stories with children. Heck my 5 year old listens to them. I'm pretty sure there's a scribble around here somewhere that my 2 year old says is Hades. These stories are as natural to me to read and tell and pretend with the kids as The Billy Goats Gruff. (Or Aesop) Our tulips are even given Greek Goddess names each spring. Seriously. They are fun and imaginative. I can't imagine turning them into a school type subject.

D'Aulaire's book of Greek Myths, Mary Pope Osbourne's Greek myths and her Odyssey books, Bulfinch's Age of Fable are some of our favorites.

We've never even seen or read a Percy Jackson book. Not terribly planning on it either.

I've used a couple of resources that mine have ALL loved.

D'Aulaires books (Greek myths, Norse Myths)

Usbornes Greek Myths for Young Children ~ I predict that this will be the book that my 8yo obsconds with when he has his own children someday ;) I read it aloud to him many times when he was younger and now he reads it to himself. The pictures are wonderful and the text isn't too long.

and I've found Classic Myths to Read Aloud by William Russell invaluable.

We've read others, but these are our favorites.

We started w/SOTW when the older child was 6. Then we read all of the suggested books from the A.G. and have gone from there. Now that my older is in logic stage, her 2nd time through the history cycle, she is using CHOLL as a guideline of reading. It includes some mythology at a deeper level than she had the first time around, though her appetite in everything assigned for "school" is usually whetted and she reads further on her own.

True. But I guess I was referring to the references to Percy Jackson and Greek mythology being "harder reading material" and "why we need to expose them at early ages." To each his own.

Our family may be unique in that we consider storytelling and myth and folktale and the fairy tale to be *more than* something to relate to a school subject.

True. But I guess I was referring to the references to Percy Jackson and Greek mythology being "harder reading material" and "why we need to expose them at early ages." To each his own.

Our family may be unique in that we consider storytelling and myth and folktale and the fairy tale to be *more than* something to relate to a school subject.

Oh, I do think you made a good point. The myths aren't hard. We have also always read lots of myth/folk/fairy tales outside of school. I just schedule them in school so as to make sure I don't miss anything, or that one kid who didn't read or listen to this or that particular story doesn't miss it, to give it cultural/historical context, etc. DS9 has been on an ancient mythology tear since we did ancients last year. DD is all about the folktales and myths about cats. This extra reading is at their own prompting, on their own time, and has nothing to do with school.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to your "why" question--two main reasons. First, we're following the outline in TWTM where you read stories and literature from and about the time period you're studying in history. That deepens your child's exposure to and understanding of history and begins to give them a context for future studies. Second, if a child is already familiar with the great works of various time periods from early exposure to age-appropriate versions (i. e., the Iliad and the Odyssey), they won't be intimidated when they encounter the full versions later on.

We started with SOTW and the books recommended in the AG in 1st grade. I got the D'aulaire Greek Myths book, and my son read it himself numerous times. I then got the Norse gods one when he was in 2nd grade. He LOVES mythology. He is reading through the Percy Jackson stuff now on his Kindle, as they come available at the library. He is enjoying those too. I haven't read much aloud on the subject. He just reads it on his own

This thread was really helpful to me when I asked about reading classics in general: http://forums.welltr...cs#entry4600189

When I first replied, I forgot to answer the OP's question! and so am editing to add: I really like Classical House of Learning Literature for ideas. It's definitely worth a look.

OP, I was thinking that there's nothing really wrong with meeting Greek gods via Percy Jackson, if you wanted to. I know many disagree for their own children, but here's why I think it is okay:

1. We know a family with two extremely well-rounded and well-educated parents and a son (about 9yo) attending Westminster boy's school in London. A private school par excellence, certainly. It is Percy that got him interested in mythology. AND his mother has no idea that she should be mortified by this. Perhaps she shouldn't? Just maybe it is okay?

2. Button hates mythology. Just detests it. But he loves Droon; and in fact, he's become much less resistant to & much more engaged by the King Arthur stories since he began reading Droon (and since he ran into Arthurian characters in the Magic Treehouse series) that even Droon has served me well in my goal of a fine education. Yes, Droon.

3. Who wants their child to have reverence for the Greek gods? I don't think you are risking much by making their early exposures to Greek mythology a bit trivial -- though remember, Percy Jackson feels quite serious and adventurous to the readers. I think a serious appreciation of the Greek stories can be reached when the child is older and more mature. I don't fret about Button trivializing the heroism or the grotesqueness of ancient war (and ancient warriors) when he is in high school. Or not "getting" the gravitas of Ares/Mars after he's twice gone through the history cycle.

4. If it is important to you to introduce your child to Greek mythology in a more serious way: I am not arguing with you about that goal. I'd be happy to support you in it if I can. I just gently suggest that an alternative perspective can be held, and not only by literary lightskirts. ;)

Regarding early exposure, here are pros and cons that I can see.

Pros:

1. WTM argues that by getting the plotlines in their heads while they are young, later and deeper readings will be easier. This makes good sense to me, and fits how my children work.

2. In a classical, or just a culturally rich, curriculum the child will come across references to the mythological characters & situations, and their experience is deepened and enriched and just more fun when they "get" these references.

Cons:

Everything takes time, and parents and children all have their own interests and own challenges. For example, Button who hates mythology. My goals include changing that attitude, and taking the long view. Also around here education takes a big chunk of our day; we use our car time wisely with music & audiobooks; and mythology for my 7yo is not my highest priority.

That said, I really hope to get his toes wet with the Greek, Roman and Viking stories before middle school. Button took well to some of the picture book Beowulf, so that's in his head; and we've had luck with picture book Shakespeare, in a similar vein; and we're doing a King Arthur audiobook; so I think progress is in the works.

HTH! And be sure to note -- if you haven't already -- that many of the "picture book" retellings are at the right level for your 5th grader. Rosemary Sutcliff, Michael Morpurgo, &c.