Menu

Way to Go Pyrex Company!

fairfarmhand

About 2 weeks ago, I bought a large Pyrex baking pan. Today, I put some yeast rolls in it for baking and when I opened the oven, the pan was shattered into a million pieces in my oven. Immediately I called the company. They are sending out a replacement AND giving me a 30 dollar credit for whatever items I'd like from their website. I am so impressed. I didn't have a receipt or the packaging, but they simply took my word for it.

I just wanted to brag on them for their customer service. The young man I talked to was polite and helpful and he even apologized on behalf of the company for the mess in the oven and the waste of food.

I saw a news item about this very thing recently. The new Pyrex is not the same glass formulation as the old Pyrex and sudden changes in temperature are MUCH more likely to make it shatter. The company knows this and that is why they didn't question your story.

Cherish any old Pyrex that you have!

I'm glad they fixed it and no one was hurt.

I've had a new pan shatter and it scarry-scarry. (It was a frozen lasagna, thawed in the fridge then left on the counter for a short time; obviously not long enough though.) I love my old stuff now and treat it like delicate glass. I'll never ever put a cold pan into the oven again.

I saw a news item about this very thing recently. The new Pyrex is not the same glass formulation as the old Pyrex and sudden changes in temperature are MUCH more likely to make it shatter. The company knows this and that is why they didn't question your story.

Cherish any old Pyrex that you have!

Do we know when it changed? Most, if not all, of my Pyrex is from when we first married, and I've taken it out of the fridge and popped it in the oven many times.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120202/15510717640/shattering-pyrex-to-show-massive-weakness-trademark-law.shtml

Looks like the company was sold in 1998. I think most of my pyrex dishes pre-date that.

Do we know when it changed? Most, if not all, of my Pyrex is from when we first married, and I've taken it out of the fridge and popped it in the oven many times.

http://www.techdirt....emark-law.shtml

Looks like the company was sold in 1998. I think most of my pyrex dishes pre-date that.

Here's a good article about the change. It states that the timing is unclear.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/january/home-garden/glass-cookware/glass-bakeware/index.htm

It used to be made with borosilicate and is now made with soda lime glass which is less expensive to produce.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120202/15510717640/shattering-pyrex-to-show-massive-weakness-trademark-law.shtml

I remember when they used to advertise that the stuff was good for fridge to oven. It was a selling point. Now the packaging has warning labels. Because of this I'm slowly changing out all my glass cookware to stainless.

According to the company website, you should ALWAYS preheat the oven before placing the pan in it. They say nothing about a cool or room temp pan going into the oven but they do mention to always preheat prior to placing the pan in the oven.

I took my pan out of the fridge for about an hour (so the rolls would rise) After they rose, I heated the oven and set them in there after the oven was the right temp.

Is there a way to tell the age/maker of the pan?

The Pyrex is stamped on the bottom. If you have some of both old and new, you can easily tell the difference. The older Pyrex looks clear/grey when you look at an edge. The new ones have a greenish color at the edge. I try to only bake in the old stuff.

They've also changed their traditional glass measuring cups. The new ones just got terrible reviews on America's Test Kitchen. They advised going to garage sales to find the old ones! :laugh:

There is a kitchen wares dealer at one of our local antique malls. He sells new and used stuff. I just bought two old-school measuring cups with the measurements molded in. He said it was the last batch he was able to get.