Menu

movie version for pride and prejudice

The best one that sticks to the story line the most is the BBC 1995 mini series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I thought the more recent movie with Kiera Knightley was dreadful. The real oldie with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier is entertaining but you'd hardly recognize the story! Hollywood really took liberties! There is also a pretty good British Masterpiece Theatre version from the 1970s and it sticks to the story, but the production values are cheap and the acting painfully wooden at times.

It really depends on what you want, as to what version to watch.

A lot of people are extremely passionate about this particular story, and so are very passionate about particular versions. ;) It so happens, this is NOT that book/movie I feel passionate about. (For me, that's the book of Lord of the Rings, and the love/hate relationship I have with the Peter Jackson movies ;)). So, I've very much enjoyed all of the versions of Pride and Prejudice I've seen. And, as someone with both a film and a literature background, I see pros and cons to each of the various productions. Below is a quick review of each that I've seen. BEST of luck in matching up! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

1940 film (118 minutes)

Fun and lively actresses playing the sisters; Lawrence Olivier a bit too stiff and distant to see what Lizzie saw in him. Diverges, as older Hollywood films do, from the book. Black & white, and feels like a movie from the '30s/40s, if that is of concern. (I personally like older and classic movies, but not everyone does.)

1980 TV mini series (265 minutes)

Not bad. The acting was fine, but never "popped", and the actor playing Mr. Darcy seemed pretty stiff, so I never felt the "spark" needed to want to see Darcy and Lizzie get together. Pretty close to the book; old videotape production and small budget feel.

1995 TV mini series (300 minutes)

The best of the TV versions. On the plus side: sticks closest to the book of any of the versions I've seen, with only minor liberties. The actors playing Darcy and Lizzie are great. On the negative side: many of the secondary characters are weak to downright poor. For example, Lizzie's 15yo younger sister looks 30 and has a smoker's voice -- just completely wrong casting. And the portrayals of Mr. Collins and Mrs. Bennet are like over-the-top caricatures, which is very distracting. While the scenes with Lizzie and Darcy "pop", other parts feel a bit like a stilted stage production.

2005 movie (127 minutes)

The best of the film versions. The characters feel and act the most like real people living in the real times in this version. All of the acting, down into the secondary characters is very strong and believable. Beautifully shot, with a lovely piano theme running throughout that is almost like an unseen character. Diverges some from the book, but mostly due to a few additions of some dialogue that is definitely a bit post-modern.

2004 movie BRIDE and Prejudice (111 minutes)

A light, musical spin on the basic story, set in modern-day northern India -- a culture that has much in common with that of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. A bit weak in the writing and some of the acting, but lively, colorful, and an amusing cross-cultural take on the original. Worth watching after you've read the novel and seen a faithful TV or movie version.

The best one that sticks to the story line the most is the BBC 1995 mini series with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I thought the more recent movie with Kiera Knightley was dreadful. The real oldie with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier is entertaining but you'd hardly recognize the story! Hollywood really took liberties! There is also a pretty good British Masterpiece Theatre version from the 1970s and it sticks to the story, but the production values are cheap and the acting painfully wooden at times.

I totally and completely agree. I am looking forward to watching this again with my ds. I think it might torture him but he is going to read the book so I think he should watch the best version!

Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version is best, of course.

I do have to throw out the LDS version for consideration. It's not overtly Mormon, just making fun of Mormon culture (husband hunting, etc. It fits in with Austenian times surprisingly well). It's a modernized take, the sisters are roommates in college. The best part is Mary ends up with Collins! Yay! Otherwise, fairly close to the original story.

Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version is best, of course.

I do have to throw out the LDS version for consideration. It's not overtly Mormon, just making fun of Mormon culture (husband hunting, etc. It fits in with Austenian times surprisingly well). It's a modernized take, the sisters are roommates in college. The best part is Mary ends up with Collins! Yay! Otherwise, fairly close to the original story.

I saw the Mormon version and it was really cute. The restaurant named Pemberley. The guy who played the Mr. Collins character was a hoot!

I agree the "bolly wood" version was fun!

the 1980 version looked like a old soap opera set though it was well done

def. a "Firth" fan here and I personally loved the over the top Mr. Collins

for what it is worth the 1995 version was the one I convinced my supposedly Austen hating dh to watch we me and he LOVED it! he laughed uproariously and has watched every Austen book movie/ tv production with me since.

This got my dh into Austen as well. We watched and rewatched it so much we could quote lines at each other. My dh loved Mr. Bennett.

I didn't think it was overacted. It is supposed to be funny. I think those playing caricatures, like Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Lydia were supposed to appear ridiculous.

One of my favorite lines I use with my kids is: MUST YOU TEAR MY NERVES TO SHREDS??? (said in in my best Mrs. Bennett voice!).

I am looking forward to watching this again with my ds. I think it might torture him but he is going to read the book so I think he should watch the best version!

You might be surprised. My then 11th grader had to read P & P for a lit class he was taking, and he dreaded it. But, after he got started, he loved it, especially the humor and the "over the top" characters. P & P ended up being his favorite book of the semester.

Brenda

I didn't think it was overacted. It is supposed to be funny. I think those playing caricatures, like Mr. Collins, Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Lydia were supposed to appear ridiculous.

One of my favorite lines I use with my kids is: MUST YOU TEAR MY NERVES TO SHREDS??? (said in in my best Mrs. Bennett voice!).

:iagree: I think Austen's intent was to over-exaggerate the annoying characters. It just makes them so much more recognizable.

BBC one with Colin Firth is the best and our very favorite. The Keira Knightly one had us mad in under ten minutes and we shut it off.

The Keira Knightly one is pretty much artistic shots of Keira Knightly. And the scene in the rain?!! I do have to say that I love the soundtrack though.

we love the Firth version, too. We watch it every year after our week-long Bible conference and make any college boys staying with us watch it as a service to their future wives :) We quote it quite a bit, too. Dh always says, "no lace, I beg of you!"

we used to love the old B&W Olivier version, stilted but some great parts. I liked the lady Catherine in that one. We didn't get 5 minutes into the Knightly version and we had to turn it off in disgust. I'm sorry, but a bright, intelligent Elizabeth Bennent would not have been giggling under some bleachers at a dance...yuk.

can we get a link to the mormon version?

Here's the link on Amazon. It's also available at Deseret Book. Also, if you do get the DVD, and you want to see the original uncut version with the more overt Mormon references, go to scene selections and find the page with Lydia. Push the up button 3 times and a CTR ring will pop up on her finger. Select that to get to the alternate version.

For as much as I ADORE the BBC/A&E version of P&P with Colin Firth (swoon), I also like having this set to rotate to: http://www.amazon.co...ejudice bbc dvd

The actors aren't so beautiful, and the approach is all more distinctly british and quiet, which I suppose fits (duh). Emma is actually my favorite out of that set.

Yes, that's the 1980 TV version I mentioned above. :) I really get a laugh out of the (1987) Northanger Abbey from that same boxed set. But I also really enjoy the more recent (2007) BBC TV version of Northanger Abbey, too.

I also love how beautifully the (1995) Sense and Sensibility movie was visualized. The acting in the recent (2008) TV version of Sense and Sensibility was very nice, too.

And the characterization in the 1995 film of Persuasion is wonderful! Well scripted, and well acted, all the way around.

Great, light fun, all of these TV and movie versions of Austen tales! :)

Lori...Oh, see I didn't realize that older BBC set had been on tv! I didn't even make the connection, even though I read your post. It makes sense though. :)

I sometimes listen to a Jane Austen movie in the car on the way to and from speech therapy. The drive is long, so I can get in the entirety of one of even the long movies. And if I get caught in traffic and put it in park, it will flip from just audio to video, hehe.

That old BBC version of P&P has its moments. Especially the scene where Lizzie suddenly meets Darcy at Pemberley. The deer in the headlights look on the actress's face is priceless. First she sees Darcy's dog and then a light of realization dons in her eyes and a look of dumbfounded horror slowly shows on her face. Cracks me up every time! I never thought Ehle looked embarrassed enough in the 1995 version.

Also, at the very end when Darcy proposes to Elizabeth the second time when they are out walking, I actually liked the way they did that scene better in the earlier version than the 1995 Firth one. The way Darcy tucks Lizzie's arm under his was really touching to me. I think that little bit in the 1995 version is played a bit too stiff by Firth. One of his very rare not completely perfect moments! I read somewhere that he actually didn't like the way he did that scene but there was no time to redo it.

I really get a laugh out of the (1987) Northanger Abbey from that same boxed set.

This one is so funny, love it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YIGNKE/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359212376&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

I wanted to like this version of Persuasion, but it's just not quite there. It has the most awkward kiss I've ever seen.

The Keira Knightly one is pretty much artistic shots of Keira Knightly. And the scene in the rain?!! I do have to say that I love the soundtrack though.

The scene in the rain is my favorite part in the entire movie! You can actually feel the passion between them. They want to kiss, but they are so furious with each other!

I LOVE the Kiera Knightly version, the acting, the way it is filmed, the music. I like the Colin Firth version as well, but as someone else said to me he is the only part well played in that one.

And I can totally see someone as intelligent as Elizabeth Darcy giggling with a best friend talking about boys under bleachers at a dance. Just because you are intelligent doesn't mean you still aren't a woman, especially since Elizabeth is a romantic.

Start with Kiera, if they enjoy it, then move on to the Colin Firth version.

I have to agree with Chelli. I loved the Kiera Knightly version! It was beautifully and artistically filmed, and the soundtrack was wonderful! Yes, the Colin Firth version was good, and followed the story line more closely, but I enjoyed the KK one more. I suggest watching them both!

I love all things P&P. I own 4 different versions. My favorite is the Kiera Knightly one. It is beautiful and captures the essence of the story. I've never been one who worries about tiny details being correct in movies. To me, movies and books are separate and I try to enjoy them separately.

The Colin Firth one is the next best. I also have issue with the characters being so much older than they would have been, but it is pretty accurate to the book. It is long and I don't feel the chemistry between the characters in it like I do in the Kiera Knighly one.

Frankly, the Kiera Knightly one is a better "movie." My husband will actually watch and enjoy it, but he won't touch the Colin Firth one.

We have also been enjoying the Lizzie Bennet diaries on youtube. And the Mormon one is a favorite of mine as well. :)

Oh my. We will have to agree to disagree. I think the Kiera Knightley one is so off the mark. I hate the way they harlequined the story and made it Austen meets Bronte (with tortured Darcy as romance cover hunk striding over the misty moors to his beloved) It took abeautifully understated ironic and intellectual comedy of manners, full of wit and insight into character, and turned it into a run of the mill modern love story. Blech.

FWIW, I would always recommend the 1995 BBC version. It's the one that's most accessible, I think. DH likes it and he'd die before he'd watch the Kiera Knightley version. (I wasn't interested in it personally, so luckily he didn't have to suffer!) DD watched the whole thing with me when she was....5? She really enjoyed it and anything inappropriate went right over her head thanks to the way it was written and played. There are certainly other good versions but the 1995 is the one most people can enjoy, I think.