Menu

Manti Te'o drama--did we talk about this yet?

Moxie

I really can't believe he wasn't a part of the whole thing. It's even more bizarre if he wasn't. I thought his own dad said he visited with this girl several times in Hawaii, but now it looks like they're saying he never met her. :confused1: The information out there right now seems to be so weird. If he was in on it, was it to gain sympathy to try to win the Heisman? I really don't get it at all.

Well, it occurred to both me and my husband separately after reading the Deadspin article. The cousin or family friend (forgetting which) who was behind the account -- I could imagine that either they were lovers and this was a way to communicate, or that he was willing to help Manti construct a beard. (He has many reasons to not want to be out as gay.) I can't imagine a highly successful football player having any trouble getting real life girlfriends. The friend was in a car accident around the same time as the "girlfriend" and was often found when the family expected to see the girlfriend.

It is also more sympathetic than doing it to get PR for the Heisman.

Maybe he lied to his dad about meeting her so he wouldn't look like an idiot. Maybe he lied to a lot of people about meeting her so he wouldn't look like an idiot.

People lie all the time to save face. I still don't feel too sorry for him, although if I was his friend, I would still *try* to be nurturing. My thought would be that people get screwed over all the time with or without Twitter or the Internet.

If I knew him, I might just give him a hug and refer him and his parents to an Internet safety class. Or I might just say, "Okay, let's stop telling people about this now and move forward." Not too nurturing. Like I said, I'd try.

SIGH.... I am a Notre Dame graduate. It is really rather embarrassing.

I liked the guy. Liked him a lot and now this. It is hard to believe that while he said he love that girl and he never thought to go visit her when she had cancer?? it is very strange.

To defend the university, Notre Dame didn't have to go public on this. This is Manti's personal issue. However, I wish ND made this public before the Heisman announcement. Maybe they need time to verify it?? I don't know. I heard Manti told the university a week before Heisman. It is become very embarrassing right now. No wonder we loss the championship game....

The more I read, the more I think he is just THAT naive. I don't believe he would make up a girlfriend and then kill her off after a year just for publicity. I might be wrong in the end but that is where I'm at. He is either super naive or an evil genius.

SIGH.... I am a Notre Dame graduate. It is really rather embarrassing.

I liked the guy. Liked him a lot and now this. It is hard to believe that while he said he love that girl and he never thought to go visit her when she had cancer?? it is very strange.

To defend the university, Notre Dame didn't have to go public on this. This is Manti's personal issue. However, I wish ND made this public before the Heisman announcement. Maybe they need time to verify it?? I don't know. I heard Manti told the university a week before Heisman. It is become very embarrassing right now. No wonder we loss the championship game....

He says that he got the phone call on 12/26 from the girl that he thought was the dead girlfriend. He met with the university official that day or the next day. This would have been a couple weeks after the heisman.

I don't know what to think. I would like to believe him...

I first heard about this on the news this morning. It sounds like he was duped and is embarrassed now but who can you believe anymore (thank you Lance Armstrong!).

I was at the laundry mat several weeks ago and watching Dr. Phil (or one of those shows). And it was women who had online "relationship" with a person they had never met. These women thought they were in love and planning a life with someone they had never met. Turns out it was a women not a man they had been corresponding with and talking on the phone with.

If its true he is obviously not the first person to have had this happen to. His just happened to occur in a public forum.

Really, who stops to think, "Could the person I'm chatting with be fake? Is an elaborate hoax being played on me"?? I can see how he fell for it. It is too bad that those around him never questioned the relationship but I can see how a nice guy could get taken like this.

I could see how anyone could get fooled like this until the point she claimed to have had lukemia and been sick. Why would he not go see her then? I really don't see how someone could say they were in a serious relationship but never try to see them when they're dying. What about her funeral? Did he not want or try to go to that either?

Just being fooled into a relationship, I get. It's the dying and death I don't quite understand. Especially with the timing.

I could see how anyone could get fooled like this until the point she claimed to have had lukemia and been sick. Why would he not go see her then? I really don't see how someone could say they were in a serious relationship but never try to see them when they're dying. What about her funeral? Did he not want or try to go to that either?

Just being fooled into a relationship, I get. It's the dying and death I don't quite understand. Especially with the timing.

Here is a chilling article about illness and the Internet:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/the-lying-disease/Content?oid=15337239

I doubt his victim story, especially after seeing the timeline. Incidentally, the person who owns (or hacked into, perhaps?) the @lennaykay Twitter account, which he made multiple tweets to previously, posted this today:

"My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real." :001_rolleyes: