Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

How's his foot now? Take him in if you even think it might be broken. I once waited all night before taking my ds in because I didn't want to go to the ER with the other kids in tow (dh was out of town of course) and turns out his arm was broken. I felt like a horrible mother for waiting all night long.

I really think that mothers missed an evolutionary turn somewhere because we really should have x-ray vision. It would be so useful.

I completely forgot i even posted. Lol.

When he got up this morning he was fine. :)

He did great in PT, tolerated his boots, and i have not heard a single complaint. Last night's pain must have just been from hitting it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest inoubliable

From the PM files of KK (ahahaha. That sounded weird!) :

Cairel ( <-- super secret agent name) asks - "I'm new to this free-thinking thing. I literally just "woke up" one day. My husband knows and my two teenage sons know a little less. I'm wondering how I can "break the news" to my kids. I don't want to rock their world, but I also don't want to leave them feeling like everything *I've* ever told them was a lie. I will respect their decision on whatever they decide to be true, but I want to show them more options. What can you suggest?"

I've already suggested a few books (Good Without God, Beginner Guide to Humanism, Raising Freethinkers, and The Magic of Reality), the secular humanist website for some general information, and that we ask here for suggestions on a secular science program for 8th graders (she is currently using BJU). She does believe in a deity of some kind, but not that Jesus was/is god and not in the inerrancy of the Bible.

So. What say you?

Also - this site is awesome for coming up with names. LOL.

KK I had the same thing! The day I finally said, out loud, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD was so liberating. It feels good to just go with your gut and admit it after years and years of playing the game out of fear of what might happen "in the end". I started inserting "some people believe" into a lot of conversations. I am honest and tell that the way I was raised we believe x,y,and z. I them to know about the christian faith so that they are knowledgeable but I also want them to know about all other faiths so they are well informed. I tell them that when they are adults they can choose what they want.

From the PM files of KK (ahahaha. That sounded weird!) :

Cairel ( <-- super secret agent name) asks - "I'm new to this free-thinking thing. I literally just "woke up" one day. My husband knows and my two teenage sons know a little less. I'm wondering how I can "break the news" to my kids. I don't want to rock their world, but I also don't want to leave them feeling like everything *I've* ever told them was a lie. I will respect their decision on whatever they decide to be true, but I want to show them more options. What can you suggest?"

I've already suggested a few books (Good Without God, Beginner Guide to Humanism, Raising Freethinkers, and The Magic of Reality), the secular humanist website for some general information, and that we ask here for suggestions on a secular science program for 8th graders (she is currently using BJU). She does believe in a deity of some kind, but not that Jesus was/is god and not in the inerrancy of the Bible.

So. What say you?

Also - this siteis awesome for coming up with names. LOL.

I suggest Oak Meadow for secular middle grades science. Very thorough, but be aware there is a lot of writing. I don't believe you need to do them in grade order either. Pick which one floats your boat for that year.

Love Raising Freethinkers. I second that recommendation.

On telling your children... I have to say that I'm not convinced there needs to be a "moment of revelation" per se. If your children ask you questions about beliefs and faith, there is an opportunity to say "well, I've been thinking about my own beliefs on that, and questioning some things, so I'm reading and pondering...." Letting them know that you are open to other thoughts, other ideas, other possibilities does not wipe out all the years you said you thought something else. It's not lying, in fact, it is being completely honest. To admit that you, the parent, the adult, are still thinking and wondering and questioning... well, that just opens up a whole new dialogue on the perspective of humanity. It is a great opportunity to have a thoughtful open dialogue with your children. To let them explore and question along with you is a gift.

KK I had the same thing! The day I finally said, out loud, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD was so liberating. It feels good to just go with your gut and admit it after years and years of playing the game out of fear of what might happen "in the end". I started inserting "some people believe" into a lot of conversations. I am honest and tell that the way I was raised we believe x,y,and z. I them to know about the christian faith so that they are knowledgeable but I also want them to know about all other faiths so they are well informed. I tell them that when they are adults they can choose what they want.

This exactly. The moment I finally really truly admitted I didn't believe was extremely liberating. I remember feeling free to love everyone. I've always believed in gay rights and HATED love the person, hate the sinner but I found it hard to reconcile my belief to the bible. If I was a good Christian I'd be sharing the gospel. I'd be in church indoctrinating my kids. How freeing it was to wake up!

As for telling the kids...I don't think you have to tell them everything all at once. One of the first things I did was ask my 13 yo if I ever told him about hell. He told no and I asked him if he believed in hell. He said he wasn't sure and I assured him there was no hell and that was that. My 7 year old asked me the other night if god knew what he was thinking all of the time. I took that opportunity to say some people believe there is a god who can but I don't personally think so.

KK, I haven't heard of any of those books. They are going on my Amazon list. :D

Do any of you live in TX? Dallas area, specifically? What is it like there for secular homeschoolers? Is everyone a religious homeschooler or are there options? Does everyone ask what church you go to when they meet you?

We are facing a move and I worry about this kind of stuff.

My brother does and he's an athiest but not a homeschooler. I know my brother and his family are very involved in freethinker/Athiest events and there are plenty to choose from.

ETA: I live in TX. Just a few hours from Dallas. :D

I suggest Oak Meadow for secular middle grades science. Very thorough, but be aware there is a lot of writing. I don't believe you need to do them in grade order either. Pick which one floats your boat for that year.

I wish I had chosen Oak Meadow. I was so close but there's no way DS could have handled the writing.

Me likey! Now...where's my PVJ&T?? :laugh:

I've been waiting for an opportunity to send some PVJ&T! Is it weird that my phone already knew that word as soon as I typed PV? lol

On a side note...I need a siggie. Anyone want to help? I don't like to put my kids in my siggie. I also like to be incognito. .

Guest inoubliable

No Valentines plans here DH and I don't really celebrate it, and besides he's 3,000 miles away so not much we could do anyway. The kids and I are participating in a One Billion Rising event instead.

Saw this and thought of your post.

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rape-a-lack-of-conviction

How did the event go?

I wish I had chosen Oak Meadow. I was so close but there's no way DS could have handled the writing.

My ds detests the physical act of writing. I let him do it all on the computer. Even then, I think the writing can get to be a bit much, so sometimes I would change it up and turn an essay into an oral presentation/speech. Also, there are usually a couple of things from which to choose, and I let him choose a project/experiment quite frequently.

Guest inoubliable

We saw those videos and now the kids are BEGGING to look for the asteroid. Maybe someone, somewhere, will get some cool pics/vid of tonight's and you can show your DS tomorrow.

Saw this and thought of your post.

http://www.informati...k-of-conviction

How did the event go?

The event went really well. The kids loved it. I tried to convince my DH to go to an event in his neck of the woods but he wouldn't hear of it. He said it would be weird to attend a women's event without a woman.

Those statistics are staggering. If so little are being prosecuted and an even smaller amount convicted what message does that send to the perpetrators?

Guest inoubliable

The event went really well. The kids loved it. I tried to convince my DH to go to an event in his neck of the woods but he wouldn't hear of it. He said it would be weird to attend a women's event without a woman.

Those statistics are staggering. If so little are being prosecuted and an even smaller amount convicted what message does that send to the perpetrators?

The numbers were staggering. It took me a few minutes to really process it. I really had no idea.

We saw those videos and now the kids are BEGGING to look for the asteroid. Maybe someone, somewhere, will get some cool pics/vid of tonight's and you can show your DS tomorrow.

We are going to go get our throats swabbed to make sure it isn't strep, and then the rest of the day I plan to bust out the solar system and planetarium kits he got for Christmas. We were gonna study division and start our plant unit, but Neil Degrasse Tyson lectures, and space crafts (hahaha get it!) seem like a good idea with all the space news going on.

Guest inoubliable

We are going to go get our throats swabbed to make sure it isn't strep, and then the rest of the day I plan to bust out the solar system and planetarium kits he got for Christmas. We were gonna study division and start our plant unit, but Neil Degrasse Tyson lectures, and space crafts (hahaha get it!) seem like a good idea with all the space news going on.

There's never a bad time for some NDT! :laugh:

Hoping it's not strep, and you guys start feeling better soon!

I can't read the entire thread, but I hope it's O.K. to jump back in.

Any one of you have super sensetive kid obsessed with god? I have a 6 year old boy who cries sometimes because one day we will all die and he will be alone. He asks about god and all the normal 6 year old questions, but if I can't answer anything. He is toooo sensitive and emotional and I can't reason with him. The other day he asked to go to church so he can be close to god. My DH and I just stared. No words. What do I do with him? Is this the age thing that he will outgrow? His older brother never really cared much about religion (other than Zeus of course, he is cool).

sounds like its more about anxiety to some extent. i mean, thats what god is, right, its a myth to bring comfort. I would maybe try to help him make a personal alter he can 'pray' at in his room when he needs that sort of comfort, but also work on his anxiety more directly in other ways. maybe try some self-talk to calm him, reassure him that you guys will always be there for him (statistically you are unlikely to die before he is an adult, so its ok to fudge it . .and even if he points out that you cant promise that, you can point out how small a chance it is that you will die early . . and how much happier he would be if he just believes that you will live). i think i've heard of picture books for worriers but i never took note. my youngest is a worrier, but not quite that bad

i think NdGT should be the patron saint of secular homeschoolers.

I joke (half) that he's my kids' babysitter.

I can hardly wait for the new Cosmos series.

Guest inoubliable

I can't read the entire thread, but I hope it's O.K. to jump back in.

Any one of you have super sensetive kid obsessed with god? I have a 6 year old boy who cries sometimes because one day we will all die and he will be alone. He asks about god and all the normal 6 year old questions, but if I can't answer anything. He is toooo sensitive and emotional and I can't reason with him. The other day he asked to go to church so he can be close to god. My DH and I just stared. No words. What do I do with him? Is this the age thing that he will outgrow? His older brother never really cared much about religion (other than Zeus of course, he is cool).

I'd try to reassure him that he would never truly be alone (as in, there will always be meaningful people in his life). Point out that he has an older brother who will always be his brother. Same with other family members. http://www.amazon.com/Tenth-Good-Thing-About-Barney/dp/0689712030

This is an excellent book to start talking about what happens with something dies (it's about a cat, so it's not *too* traumatic).

sounds like its more about anxiety to some extent. i mean, thats what god is, right, its a myth to bring comfort. I would maybe try to help him make a personal alter he can 'pray' at in his room when he needs that sort of comfort, but also work on his anxiety more directly in other ways. maybe try some self-talk to calm him, reassure him that you guys will always be there for him (statistically you are unlikely to die before he is an adult, so its ok to fudge it . .and even if he points out that you cant promise that, you can point out how small a chance it is that you will die early . . and how much happier he would be if he just believes that you will live). i think i've heard of picture books for worriers but i never took note. my youngest is a worrier, but not quite that bad

This is great advice. My DH felt so sorry for him last night, he promised him heaven with endless video games and all his family together. The poor kid went to sleep in peace, but I think this is beyond dishonest and will eventually backfire.

KKinVA, thanks for the book rec. I will check it out!

Shouldn't Carl Sagan be the patron saint? Saints have to be dead, don't they?

My eldest would make a case for The Demon Haunted World being like her Bible, in terms of influence.

We are thinking of going to the UU in town for my sensitive kiddo, that way he could form some sort of relationship with a god like figure if he wants to, but he could do it in whatever way works for him without any fear of judgement, and I wouldn't feel like the congregation would burn me at the stake if they actually got to know us.

Plus being in a new town, it would give us a chance to meet other liberal commie treehuggers.

Totally off topic, but we just went to the Urgent care place. I tested positive for strep, but DS did not. He does have the same symptoms as me, but with more sneezing and congestion. They wrote him a prescription for antibiotics, despite the negative test.....would you go ahead and start them or wait for the full culture results?

Guest inoubliable

My eldest would make a case for The Demon Haunted World being like her Bible, in terms of influence.

Thanks for mentioning this! My Amazon cart grows still.

Guest inoubliable

Totally off topic, but we just went to the Urgent care place. I tested positive for strep, but DS did not. He does have the same symptoms as me, but with more sneezing and congestion. They wrote him a prescription for antibiotics, despite the negative test.....would you go ahead and start them or wait for the full culture results?

I would. I think that might be SOP for when a doc suspects strep. I know I've always been given antibiotics and told to start them even when the culture results aren't back yet. Especially if you tested positive.

I would. I think that might be SOP for when a doc suspects strep. I know I've always been given antibiotics and told to start them even when the culture results aren't back yet. Especially if you tested positive.

Good to know! I was too busy trying to stay upright to remember to ask when/if he should start them.

I came home from the doctor, looking like death warmed over, and seriously barely able to form a coherent sentence, and discovered a rather adorable young man (he is 24) in his military uniform at our house. DHs best friend is in town for drill!

Welcome to our new house...don't mind the random dresser in the middle of the kitchen or the pile of kleenex and blankets and the empty moving boxes that the cat has strewn around!

I said "hi, don't come near me!" and am now upstairs in bed with the snuggle kitty and a frozen coffee.

Our space crafts will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday!

My DD had a hard time with death. She panicked about it quite a lot. It was Gandalf who helped her and also HP. In the third movie Gandalf consoles a terrified Merry. DD really liked what Gandalf said about what was essentially a very Celtic idea of green moors and blue skies. We had fascinating discussions about whether or not that is heaven or whether or not that is something that many people's brains go to before they finally shut down.

Talking helped. Lots and lots of talking. And books and movies where family lines appeared. Yes, DC you are going to die. So will I and I'll probably go first. But I won't be leaving you alone. You will have your own spouse most likely, friends like I have been lucky to have, and a child hopefully holding your hand on the way out. And if there is something on the other side of death yep, I'll be there waiting. If there isn't, thank you for making my life worthwhile. And for crying out loud, don't live your life expecting something better. Make THIS count.

Guest inoubliable

Our space crafts will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday!

Strep is definitely no fun at all. Get lots of rest over the weekend!

what do i know about saints? i grew up jewish. but i want him to be a symbol of what we stand for as secular homeschoolers. of course, they may be some secular homeschoolers who are more in to art than science, but anyways.

sorry about the strep. i keep wondering if i shoudl get checked, since the sore throat is the worst symptom here, but i'm also very sneezy and snotty, so i'm just hiding my head in the sand and planning to have my kneecap drilled on monday. :crying:

Guest inoubliable

Yes a big multidimensional universe. It's just mind bogglingly big. We always think we are so big and so important and really, what are we? We are like smaller than a virus.

Yes. Mind bogglingly big. Exactly.

Guest inoubliable

i keep wondering if i shoudl get checked, since the sore throat is the worst symptom here, but i'm also very sneezy and snotty, so i'm just hiding my head in the sand and planning to have my kneecap drilled on monday. :crying:

Ack! Your kneecap??? I hope it's nothing serious.

Yes a big multidimensional universe. It's just mind bogglingly big. We always think we are so big and so important and really, what are we? We are like smaller than a virus.

Exactly! I wish I had a better physics teacher at school, I would have gone into theoretical physics. Universe is fascinating. I would much rather live and pay the price with death than never to have seen this world. I always drag my kids outside to stare at stars and we talk how insane it is that we are seeing the past. The vastness and strangest of it all gives me peace. I think it's O.K. to not have answers or find meaning. Being alive is meaning enough. My 6 year old disagrees.

Now I want to watch Mindwalk.