Menu

Miniature schnauzers?

SebastianCat

We have one, a sweet girl named Freya. The only real drawback is that they are barkers at anyone new/not known well. I can't imagine life without a Miniature Schnauzer now that we have one. She follows us everywhere, likes being with us, and is content so long as we're around. Freya is rarely naughty and loves being in my lap or next to it.

Have you thought about getting a rescued dog?

Have you thought about getting a rescued dog?

Yes, we're also considering rescues. We're debating the whole "get a puppy who grows up with our kids" vs. "rescue a great dog and give him a new life" thought process right now.

I'm actually OK with some barking. Our house is already pretty loud from the kids - one more adding to the noise won't bother us too much. :)

We have a wonderful mini schnauzer and I can't imagine our life without her. She is truly a family member.

The only negative is that I have to buy special dog food for her because she has a sensitive tummy and will vomit if she eats high fat food. If we keep her on the right food, we have no issues.

We got her as a puppy, so she has grown up with our kids. She is almost eight now. She plays hide and seek with them, lets them dress her up in doll clothes, and considers it her job to make sure everyone stays together when we go hiking. She will literally herd us the entire time we are out and gets incredibly stressed out if we get too far from each other. She is a great traveler, too. Honestly, I can't think of anything bad about her except having to buy more expensive dogfood.

As far as the barking...I cannot tolerate it. She would try to bark when she was little and I would make an unpleasant/nnoying noise each and every time she started to bark and she quickly learned not to do anymore. The only time she barks now is for play or when daddy comes home.

Oh, and she sings with me :). It is so cute. I would always sing to my girls to wake them in the morning and one day, our sweet puppy met me at their bed and started singing too. So, now I can say, "you want to sing?" And she gets so excited and sings with me. Adorable.

Yes, we're also considering rescues. We're debating the whole "get a puppy who grows up with our kids" vs. "rescue a great dog and give him a new life" thought process right now.

I'm actually OK with some barking. Our house is already pretty loud from the kids - one more adding to the noise won't bother us too much. :)

I think schnauzers can be great family dogs! I've known a few in my life. One didn't like kids much, but that was because he'd been tormented by them :(. The other was just a sweetie. I don't think barking is a deal-breaker, either ;) .

I will say, that we've not had good luck rescuing older dogs. We have done well adopting older puppies through rescues, though. You can definitely find a great adult dog through a rescue, but you need to be really, really, really, patient. That's something I'm not good at when I've decided we want to add a dog to our family!

Good luck!

I don't like incessant barking, and I've never met a Miniature Schnauzer that didn't drive me crazy with the barking. It's a particular pain living next door to one (it was a relief when that dog passed away ... I know that sounds cold, but there it is). They are not a dog I would consider.

I am NOT a "dog person." My friends have a Mini Schnauzer, and I LOVE him! He is very well trained- it took effort on their part- most of a summer, if I recall correctly. He does bark when the doorbell rings, and right when I come in the door. Then he is fine- he responds to the command "Doggie NO!" and he;s FINE! An absolute joy- and I never- really- NEVER say that about dogs. He is so good he even responds when I give the correct command.

They got him as a puppy, and the family did obedience school with him.

For me, I am good with the barking. She only does it when there are strangers too near the house. If they are walking by the fence she'll likely bark. If they ring the door bell, she *will* bark. If they come into the house, she will bark at first. Once they sit down she'll grumble but be okay. Freya is a WONDERFUL traveling companion. We've driven across the country with her a few times, no problems.

We have a full-blooded mini-Schnauzer, courtesy of the SPCA. They think she was about a year old when we got her. I don't know how much of ours' eccentricities are hers alone or how many are breed-specific, but I only halfway joke when I say that I know why someone turned her in.

Pros: 1) she is always happy. She was unfailingly cheerful and chipper around my FIL in his last years of life, although he tended to be very glum. It's like she ignored him and just bounced around, bouncing up onto his lap uninvited. She was so cute, that it was very good for him, but if you are looking for a respectful, empathetic dog, this is not it. 2) She is a persistent barker, not continuously, but she barks any time there is something to bark at. She is very attentive to her house and her yard, and she's got different barks, including a "general alarm" bark and a full-blown panic bark. I come running when I hear the full-blown panic bark. 3) She is very snuggly and will gaze into your eyes with love.

Cons: 1) she prefers dogs to people (maybe unique to her, if she was in a puppy mill the first year of her life.) She will not be loyal or obedient to me if another dog distracts her. 2) She will do everything in her power to get out of the house, and when she gets loose, she'll run for at least half a mile. It's dangerous and maddening. In her older years, she has mellowed and has come back twice when we haven't been able to find her right away. 3) She is a "sass-mouthed dog," to quote my realtor. The realtor has two schnauzers of her own and says they are a breed that will talk back like no other. You can hold an argument with a schnauzer; no joke. 4) She will get into the trash to show her annoyance at something. 5) Through no fault of her own, they are known to have several specific health problems--mine had surgery today for bladder stones. (And my little Yorkie has knee problems: normal for that breed.) 6) Schnauzers need to be groomed. It's a PITB, but it can be done at home to save $$. In my area, a full-service grooming is about $45, last time I checked.

So that's what I know based on our girl--we like her a lot, but when she is gone, we'll get another breed. Dh loves westies (he will have to groom), and I'd like to try a papillion.

We had one, but gave her to a family member when we were expecting. She was pretty energetic as a puppy, but has really mellowed over the years. She is a great dog! Easy to train. She never really was very barky, but expects attention and someone to talk to her when people get home from work/school. She snuggles and loves to be played with. At 10 years old, she has diabetes now and vision problems (vet warned us of this since she is a miniature breed, so not a surprise) and probably won't live too much longer. Would get another one in a heartbeat if we were in the market for a dog.

I agree with all that was said. I don't mind the barking because ours barks for a reason, not just to bark, and it's actually nice to have the alert. She will stop if we tell her and understands us with other commands even though we never trained her. We found her almost 6 years ago. She was old-ish when we found her and she's still doing great. She was already house trained and really has a mellow attitude. She is also a little mommy to our kiddos, especially the younger ones. She will "protect" the younger ones when my husband or my ds12 is wrestling or playing with the younger ones or even if they getting a hug. She'll bark at the person hugging them. What's funny is it's only the little ones, not the bigger kids. It's really sweet. One thing she has done that is so sweet is when the last two babies were born, she would follow me when I would go to their room if they were crying or when I lay them down or she will lay outside their door. It's easy to see what she is doing and is so sweet. She is a bit snippy and will snap-bite if she is touched in a way that she doesn't like or if you are trying to get her and she doesn't want to be gotten. :) We're not sure of her background before we found her, so that may have something to do with it. When she has snapped at the kids, it's not a full bite, just a warning and she immediately crawls up to them like she is saying she is sorry. We watch her around other kids when we have company and usually put her up to protect her and the kids. She is a great dog and we will get another when she dies. She is loyal, loves to be in someone's lap and even cuddles in bed with the kids if we let her or we don't know she got in their room. :) I don't mind when she's been to the groomer's, but otherwise it's just gross because she stinks. There might be different dispositions in each dog, but from what I've read and also what I've read on this thread, it sounds like schnauzers are similar. Also, I've always had girl dogs because they seem to be calmer and sweeter. Just my opinion and experience.

We have two 2.5-year-old Miniature Schnauzers that are family members. Remus and Riley have more blog posts than my children - sad but true. LOL Our dogs are sweet and love to cuddle.

We worked hard to not have barking dogs by shaking an empty soda pop can with a few beans or coins inside when the puppies would bark.

Thankfully because of that earlier work, they rarely bark in the house or yard, but they are still idiot dogs when they see other dogs when we are walking. I think that is called a "reactive dog" and we are going to work on it this spring.

We have a snoodle, part mini schnauzer, part mini poodle, and it is very territorial and a barker. Never again would I get one of these mixes or single breed. She is not friendly either, think grumpy old lady. Won't play unless dd keeps a treat with her or has her ball. Has no interest in being with anyone (dd goes out to play, the dog stays on the deck).She has bitten my dd several times because dd picked her up. Nope...not a dog I would consider buying again.

We had a mini-schnauzer. She was a real joy. She wasn't yappy at all. In fact she rarely made a peep. Sweet, easy to please, and overall a great dog. She was good with my boys too, but they were older when we got her. She was a rescue. She was 8 years old when we took her. I'd have another in a heart beat. Good sturdy little dog.

I agree with all that's been said. Our Schnauzer barked incessantly at "strangers" (anyone who came to the door, known or not, and everyone who walked past our home). He also bolted out the door at every opportunity.

He was a sweet, happy dog, but those two habits made him a handful.

HIH,

Lisa