Menu

Which Otterbox for iPhone--or something else?

shanvan

Dh and I have finally purchased iphones and a phone plan after years of passing around his company flip phone. Now we are looking at cases. Today I was looking at the Otterbox Defender or Commuter and couldn't decide if the bulk of the Defender is worth dealing with for extra protection, or if the Commuter is enough. Or, maybe there is something better? Any advice?

I'm on my 3rd, yes THIRD, Defender, ha ha. It's not as bad as it sounds. On my first one, the rubber case got floppy and tore in a few places and OB replaced it under warranty (and I notice that they are using what seems to be a more durable material). I broke the second one, by dropping it onto concrete, hard enough to crack the hard plastic case :o. Couldn't even blame it on the kids. But the phone inside was unscathed, so it's now living in it's 3rd case, which saved its life after it took a very brief swim in the bathtub. Yes, I've been hard on my phone :D

The Defender is a bulkier case, but it completely encases the phone, so I can throw it into my purse with my keys, hand it to my 4 yo to play with, whatever. It's survived many drops from the grocery cart onto a cement grocery store floor too. So for all those reasons, the extra bulk has been worth it to me.

My dad has his in a commuter, and it is quite a bit slimmer, but there is definitely less protection. It all depends on what you think will work best for you.

I think you are both selling me on the defender. With our old company phone I was in the habit of slipping it into my back pocket, but I can get used to a new habit, and honestly, back pocket is really not the best place for a phone. I can't tell you how many times I needed to get to the phone while sitting on it in the car!

I have a Defender. The silicone is annoying because it gets stretched out (I need to look into that warranty, I've had mine since April).

I have toyed with the idea of getting a different case. But I like the silicone on the outside (which is why it stretches, because it's on the outside) because it's grippy. It's much less likely to fall out of my/kids hands, purse, pocket, etc. because it's not slippery at all.

I'm going to see about getting a new silicone and if I can't I will probably order a new defender.

You can get most of the Defender (4s) cases on Amazon for about $20, I think they are $50 at Best Buy.

I have a Deffender, which I am grateful for because I too have broken 2 of them and I am on my 3rd. Without it my phone would be HISTORY.

It's big and ugly, but I don't know what else to use. If anyone has any ideas of anything that offers equal protection, but looks a little more stylish . . . I'm all in.

Yes, they are way cheaper on Amazon. Where did you buy your case? I bought my original case at the AT&T store when I bought my phone. I didn't even need a receipt--they just looked it up by my account number and gave me a replacement case with the same SKU.

I bought mine at Best Buy :glare: . I knew they were much cheaper on Amazon but I was too afraid to even leave the store with a "naked" phone. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to find the box and maybe email Otterbox directly. I guess I could go to Best Buy but I avoid it when at all possible. :thumbdown:

I bought mine at Best Buy :glare: . I knew they were much cheaper on Amazon but I was too afraid to even leave the store with a "naked" phone. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to find the box and maybe email Otterbox directly. I guess I could go to Best Buy but I avoid it when at all possible. :thumbdown:

Well, if worse comes to worse, Best Buy can probably at least provide you with the proof-of-purchase you'd need to get it replaced under warranty. I think they retain things by phone number too :)

My kids have the commuter case, and We really like them. Their iPods have survived falls on concrete without any issues.

The commuter slides in and out of pockets easily, and it is smooth to hold. The defender is quite a bit bulkier, but I would guess you wouldn't notice if you hadn't held the commuter first.

We have used Defenders for what seems like forever. I don't EVER worry about my phone or iPad. DH works on a railyard and he and all of his coworkers swear that the Defender is the only thing that keeps their phones safe. I swear the Defender is the only thing that will keep my technology safe from my kids!

My kids have the commuter case, and We really like them. Their iPods have survived falls on concrete without any issues.

The commuter slides in and out of pockets easily, and it is smooth to hold. The defender is quite a bit bulkier, but I would guess you wouldn't notice if you hadn't held the commuter first.

Agree with all this. The defender is quite a bit bulkier. And the commuter works great.

Dh and I have finally purchased iphones and a phone plan after years of passing around his company flip phone. Now we are looking at cases. Today I was looking at the Otterbox Defender or Commuter and couldn't decide if the bulk of the Defender is worth dealing with for extra protection, or if the Commuter is enough. Or, maybe there is something better? Any advice?

I have a Defender. Check Craigslist. I got my brand new one for $15 and my friend got hers for $10, as they bought several. There is a guy who is selling these and I was not going to pay $50.

I had an otterbox and while I liked it - it's quality wasn't great and I had to replace it pretty quickly.

I now have a Case-Mate Phantom. It's awesome. It's tough like the otterbox but wirh much better construction. The plugs stay in and the rubber on the case is harder so it doesn't creep and peel. It comes with a clip that I use when I work out. It also has a built in screen protector. I love it and would highly recommend it.

I'm waiting for my Speck Candyshell Grip to arrive. I have been asking for reviews, and doing lots of reading, over the past couple weeks. One thing I read about Otterbox that put me off was some were having their hair get stuck in it. Mine will arrive by tomorrow, so I can give a personal review then if you'd like.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Grip-iPhone/dp/B0093IHX7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357569936&sr=8-1&keywords=speck+candyshell+grip+iphone+5

I love the Otterbox Defender, but haven't tried the other Otterboxes. My first was on my iPhone 3, and it was worth it's weight in gold. One day when I had to attend a meeting downtown I fumbled it a lot and it took 3 FLYING dives onto hard concrete within 20 minutes. No damage, not even to the case. I have also demonstrated its durability to others many times by tossing it across rooms onto hard floors.

Now I have a 4S, and while I still like the Defender the rubber pulls away from the plastic shell more easily and it's not as easy to close the flap over the charging portal (these problems are due to case shape, which is due to device shape -- I much preferred the more rounded shape of the 3 and its case).

My dds have iPod Touches, and we bought them Otterboxes for them. These also have rubber-pulling problems, which eventually lead to flap tears (since kids can't help but play with the flaps while using them). My eldest used some birthday money to buy a different (pink) case from Target -- don't know the brand, but it works just as great as the Otterboxes for 3/4 of the price, and doesn't have the rubber-pulling or flap tearing problems.

If you don't have time to shop around definitely get an Otterbox. However, if you can shop around a bit you might find something just as durable that you like just as much.