Menu

let her continue or pull her? - gymnastics

HappyLady

My DD (almost 5) takes gymnastics. She's been doing this for 2 years now. A gymnast, she will never be. I'm ok with that, but she refuses to do a lot of what they want her to do, and the other kids in her class can do. It's nothing advanced, just a simple flip over a bar, like you'd see kids doing on a playground. She's terrified of the bars. In fact, she's in class right now, bawling her eyes out and shaking like a leaf because her group is doing work on the bars. They're letting her do something else instead.

If this class didn't cost us $55/month I'd let her continue, but that's a lot of money for her to only do some forward rolls and jump on the trampoline, you know? I have definitely seen progress with her (when she started she wouldn't even go on the balance beam. Now she'll do forward rolls, etc, on it). But I don't know how much longer I should keep her in it to see if she'll get over her fear of doing a lot of what they expect her to do (which I don't think is much).

She loves the class. Why, I don't know. She's shy so it's not like she even talks to anyone in her class, but she gets very upset when we talk about not going anymore and maybe finding something else for her to do.

I just don't know what to do at this point. I want her to do what she "enjoys" but if she's going to cry in almost every class because she's scared, should she really be doing this?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If she weren't interested in gymnastics, I'd say take her out. We did that with our youngest when she lost interest. This is a topic we talk about amongst gym moms a lot--when enough is enough. We've all seen our kids in tears over a back handspring or a nasty fall on beam, or heartbroken after a bad meet--so I know exactly how you feel!

If your daughter enjoys the class, don't take her out because there are some skills she hasn't gotten yet. There will always be skills a child needs to learn and fears to overcome. Every gymnast has a hang-up at some point. The life lesson they learn by sticking with something until they master it is invaluable. Once she masters the skill, then consider if it's appropriate to take her out rather than stopping because it's hard.

Us gym moms know that our kids will likely never be in the Olympics, etc, but what kids learn in gym goes way beyond physical skills. Confidence, poise, composure, performing in front of large groups--those are skills that can help carry a person through life.

Afraid of beam and bars: is she afraid of heights? On the beam, at least you have more of a feel of control with your feet on something.

I would let her continue. Maybe talk to her and set some rules. No crying. No being asked to do bars. (With the agreement of the instructor/gym). Consider having a few very short private lessons. Talk to her and let her know that she will be working on bars during that time. Have the coach just hold her up in the air. Is she okay with that? Have him hold her up in the air next to the bar. See, no different! Then, hold her next to the bar with her hands on the bar. Coach always firmly holding her. Gradually, have her take some of her weight to hold herself up. Coach should always be near. Of course, you could always take her to a park to work like that with you instead. Set it up with her knowing exactly what will be done. If she does it with no crying, she gets a treat. Maybe a trip to get ice cream or a bag of M&Ms.

:iagree: I wouldn't open up a big-drama discussion with a little one either. They are pretty easy to please, but asking them to give up something is almost always a recipe for tears.

I wouldn't spend $55 a month on any class for a less than 5yo unless it was something she was absolutely passionate about. I'd pull her and have her do something else in the mean time. I basically looked at classes for younger children as exploratory so I wasn't willing to spend much money until they got a little older.

I second Jean's suggestion of finding an Open Gym time (at your current gym or elsewhere).

DD4 was in gymnastics this past year, and while she didn't cry during class, she wasn't enjoying the classes and would also refuse to do the exercises occasionally. She loves gymnastics - she just didn't love the classes. Maybe that's the case with your DD, and perhaps it's why she says she wants to continue despite her obvious discomfort?

We now take DD to open gyms once a week or so, and she's loving it.