Menu

ACE PACEs or School of Tomorrow

I'm on homeschool burnout. I have a 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old, 1 year old and one of the way. My oldest 2 love doing school and I love being able to search the web for fun lessons. But this pregnancy has been difficult. (I'm suddenly allergic to everything and now dehydrated and losing weight instead of gaining.....frustrating!!) I've been reading about ACE PACEs or aka "School of Tomorrow". Anybody using it? What's your thoughts? I want a grab and go curriculum but I don't want it to be so easy for my oldest that he's bored. I've heard mixed reviews so I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it, loved it, hates it, etc!

This can be a touchy subject, because just as soon as one posts they hate/love/use and it works/used and it failed/etc., someone else is there to post an opposite opinion. Some people use it and like it, but I see a large amount of negative replies every time someone asks about it here or elsewhere.

With that said, I'll tell you about my experience with it. I went to a private school that used ACE in grades 5, 6, and 11. I truly learned nothing those years, except how to skim through the Paces as fast as possible. The questions in the booklets are directly, verbatim, from the text the child just read, but with blanks inserted. All I had to do was skim quickly for a sentence starting with those same 2 or 3 words and there was the answer. Then for quizzes, the questions are taken from the booklet questions, so instead of reviewing everything you've been "learning", you only have to memorize the questions. Finally, the questions for the tests at the end of each booklet are taken from the quizzes... you get the idea. It was a lot of busy work. I don't remember much or any homework from those years, except memorizing Bible chapters, but that was assigned by the school, not the curriculum. It just wasn't a challenge.

ACE Paces are designed for a child to do by himself sitting alone, facing a wall in his cubicle. I realize that wouldn't likely be the case in a homeschool, but this means there aren't any fun science projects, engaging storybooks, interesting math manipulatives or even chalkboard demonstrations to bring math to life - nada. It's just the kid, the workbooks, and the wall with that goal chart to remind him to hurry.

In 11th grade, I was supposed to be learning about chemistry, but I didn't. I didn't understand what I was reading, and I was redirected to the text when I asked questions. There were no experiments or even demonstrations. I passed because I was able to memorize the words and regurgitate them on quizzes & tests without understanding. The 9th grade BJU Physical Science class at another school taught me more about chemistry than the 11th gr. ACE did. I do not remember anything from 11th gr. except being frustrated with the science and the English. In my final English Pace for the year, it asked for some sort of essay but was not specific. I couldn't figure out what they wanted from me. It hadn't taught anything specific enough or given examples of what was expected, so I really had no idea what sort of paper to write. I just sort of "BS'ed" my way through it, sweating bullets that I'd get a horrible grade. I got an A+, and was shocked that I did. In contrast, the previous year I had an English teacher who let us know how many pages or words were expected, taught various types of formatting, let us know the basics he expected from us on each paper. I had to think and work hard for the A's I earned in that class.

I'm not fond of the self-grading aspect either, especially not the way ACE does it. I was an honest kid, but once (and only once) I cheated on math, memorizing a whole page of answers from the grade book. I knew kids who only did their schoolwork this way, though.

That is my personal experience with ACE Paces. As you can guess from it, I don't recommend it.

If you want something that is in booklet format like Paces, look at Christian Light Education and LifePacs.

Best of luck to you! I know what it's like to burn out & need to simplify. Also, your children are still very young, especially the 2 & unders! They don't need formal curriculum at this point.

Wow! That was very helpful, I really appreciate your help. I've heard so many different sides of this curriculum and what appealed to me was that it's all lined out. Not that I don't want to be involved in their school, it's just I want to make sure that even on days I'm struggling, they'll still be able to learn! Haha! I'm mainly looking for lessons for my 5 year old. He's advanced in his learning so I'm constantly having to surf the web for new things. The 2 1/2 year old is using puzzles, board books, iBooks, coloring, etc and confessions of a homeschoolers letter of the week lessons. The baby of course, toys, being read to and chewing on everything! Haha! I'll look into the two other curriculums you suggested. Thanks for your help!!

I've never used ACE, but I know an adult who was schooled with it like Annabel Lee, and she's told me basically the same thing about her education. On the other hand, I know people who use it now with their kids and are very happy with it. It seems to get very mixed reviews.

At 5yo your dc doesn't even need to be doing a lot of 'schoolwork,' but if he really wants some things to do, I would recommend Kumon workbooks or Rod and Staff preschool workbooks. I used these with my younger kids, and they enjoyed them. Add some library books to read aloud to the kids and a simple phonics book if he's ready to start reading (Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading, Phonics Pathways, Alpha Phonics are all good). If you don't want to bother with trips to the library and have the money, splurge on a Sonlight core (or shop Amazon with their book lists).

For K, you really need reading, writing, and math, then some library books. Can you just pick open and go curriculum for each of those subjects and hit the library regularly? Get some audio books as well, so you don't have to read aloud as much. ;)

A K'er is unlikely to be independent, no matter what you use, so you might as well just plan to do the bare minimum for right now. It won't hurt him, even if he's advanced (my oldest is advanced and didn't learn anything new at private school in K, and he's just fine).

I have some time sensitive errands I must run right away, but I will try and get back to you in a few hours.

ACE is a wonderful option for SOME families, especially when used for all grades, and not in and out. One of it's strengths is the COMPLETE package, not the individual pieces (especially when those pieces are used out of context of previous grades and other subjects).

Me and my older 3 brothers all did ACE for a few years. My oldest brother did it till grade 6 I only did grades 1 and 2. We all had to go back a year when we left it. It never really required us to learn the concepts at all, we just had to memorize everything.

The only thing from ACE that I would ever use with my kids is their reading program. It was excellent. I don't know a single kid that was in that program that was able to go to college without upgrading substantially.

Here is a thread about ACE, along with a post I made that gives links to other threads on ACE.

ETA: Hope your pregnancy evens out soon, and that you are able to rest and feel better.

Thanks for posting those links. It saves me a lot of typing. :001_smile:

No curriculum is perfect. Curriculum is just a TOOL that a teacher tweaks and uses as PART of her/his teaching plan. All curricula has it's strengths and weaknesses. Often we pick a curriculum that delivers--hopefully not just promises to deliver--what we need the most strongly, because that is where we as a teacher are the weakest.

The best thing about ACE is that is doable for families/schools where other curricula are just not doable. It delivers what it promises to deliver in most cases.

I don't need to write about ACE's weaknesses as others are posting them. I agree there are weaknesses! If others here were not posting them, then I would include them in my posts. Every curriculum is weak somewhere. The most complete and wonderful curricula, are often weak in that they cannot be completed because of volume of work and difficulty of level; that is THEIR weakness. And that is a catastrophic weakness for an overwhelmed teacher.

ACE is cheesy and patriarchal and politically incorrect. I need to include that as no one had posted that yet in this thread. :lol: But, despite that, I still recommend it for certain families.

Well, I am not a fan of ACE and I agree with some of the comments that have made here. I also don't think that switching to ACE would necessarily help in your situation as your oldest is probably still too young for independent schooling. (I know mine were at that age).

I did want to caution though that with any curriculum that has been around a long time that you need to check when people used it. There may have been significant revisions since that person used it. I believe the a lot of the ACE curriculum underwent revision in the late 1990's and that new editions of social science (and maybe science) have been recently released. I don't know whether these revisions eliminated the "fill in the blank" style of ACE (I doubt it :) ) but it may have improved it. I really don't know but I think it is worth considering.

I have used the ACE creative writing and literature (grade 1 and grade 5) and it is not as much "fill in the blank" as I thought it was going to be. I think the English and word building are worth a look for some families in some circumstances.

Maybe you could share what you have been using so far and people might be able to suggest ways to make it easier?

I'm on homeschool burnout. I have a 5 year old, 2 1/2 year old, 1 year old and one of the way. My oldest 2 love doing school and I love being able to search the web for fun lessons. But this pregnancy has been difficult. (I'm suddenly allergic to everything and now dehydrated and losing weight instead of gaining.....frustrating!!) I've been reading about ACE PACEs or aka "School of Tomorrow". Anybody using it? What's your thoughts? I want a grab and go curriculum but I don't want it to be so easy for my oldest that he's bored. I've heard mixed reviews so I'd love to hear from anyone who has used it, loved it, hates it, etc!

Your oldest is 5? How about just reading books, playing board games, watching educational videos, and playing? Paint, draw, use clay. Build forts.

This is just a season in your life, not forever. A 5 year old really does not need any curric.

I have used ACE and it's ok, but I think it would be more work for you at this age.

Your oldest is 5? How about just reading books, playing board games, watching educational videos, and playing? Paint, draw, use clay. Build forts.

This is just a season in your life, not forever. A 5 year old really does not need any curric.

I have used ACE and it's ok, but I think it would be more work for you at this age.

:iagree:

Even a 6yo doesn't need much in the way of formal instruction. Phonics, arithmetic, some exposure to your community via field trips and whatnot, fun science-y things like growing crystals with bluing and charcoal, good children's books that you read aloud.

If I were in your situation, I would consider using BJU K5 DVD or online. The programing is educational and fun including puppets and activities. I bet your 2 1/2 year old would even enjoy watching some of the classes. Your oldest could also do the workbooks, etc. that are included in the package. While a program like this is not necessary for a 5 yr old, it would give you a much needed break and provide a ready to go, enjoyable learning experience for you dc. BJU has samples of the DVDs/online classes on BJUs website along with samples from the books and workbooks.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry you're feeling overwhelmed! I have a 5 year old, 3 1/2 year old, 1 1/2 year old, newborn, and a 7 year old. I totally understand! My days are long and yet I never have enough time for everything.

I can't speak to ACE because I've never used it. I have some friends who do and from the samples I've seen, it's very fill in the blank with very little critical thinking. It seemed monotonous to me. But I know it works well for them and they like it. To each his own. :)

I can tell you what I'm doing with my son who is 5. It's been very open and go and easy, even with a newborn added in. We use All About Reading Level 1. He loves it. It's very simple and thorough. It requires no planning of me. I just grab it with the readers and we work on a lesson. We are also doing Right Start Math Level A. It's also open and go. I keep all my manipulatives in a tub and I pull it all out. We work on it for about 15 minutes and then put it away. I also like Lollipop Logic as a fun workbook and the books from Tin Man Press have fun logic activities. No planning required for either.

What if you used something like that? Something planned for you. All About Reading and Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading would not require planing. Right Start Math doesn't require planning and I think Saxon is scripted for younger grades. I'm sure there are many others that I'm not aware of.

For science we just read books-Let's Read and Find Out About Science books and Usborne science readers. For history, he tags along with his sister, listening to her history picture books as outlined in Tapestry of Grace. But you could easily just read great picture books for each subject. A science curriculum that is completely scripted is Nancy Larson K. It comes with everything included.

For your toddler, have you looked at the lesson plans and ideas at Hubbard's Cupboard (free) and Flowering Baby (paid)? They might give you an outline to follow so you're not spending each day coming up with ideas and activities. I could spend hours on pinterest but I just don't have that time. I need it planned out.

So those are the things we do at our house. Maybe you could find something easy to use. And, your son is 5 so he's still young and if you spent the rest of the semester reading, painting, and watching some educational videos it would still be ok. But I understand if he wants to do school and wants that time with you. My son does. He looks forward to our school time.

Hope you find something that works!

I took a moment to follow Zoo Keeper's link, which led to more links. I found a post by SarahV (or similar - I apologize) on how she uses it as part of a classical, LCC-inspired education with a large family. After reading many of her posts, I think the biggest problem I have with ACE is the implementation in my school. A lot of private schools make this mistake with ACE, assuming it's completely self-teaching. That was a point my school even advertised to prospective students' parents. I still have my own ideological issues with the curriculum itself - not the unrelated Bible verses, cheesy cartoons, etc. - the actual curriculum.

This. You don't have to be burnt out teaching a 5 year old. Read lots and lots. . .maybe do some free Progressive phonics readers together. Count things.

ACE isn't something I would personally consider, but I do recognize that it has its place for certain people in certain difficult situations. For a 5 year old though, it would just be busy work.

Just popping in...

I've written several posts on my blog about why we LOVE ACE PACEs. You (and others) might find it useful. :)

Blog: http://gracebasedgodlytomatoes.blogspot.com/

{The posts related to the ACE PACEs seem to be pretty popular on my blog, so you can find many of them on the right side of the main page. Also, I noticed that another WTM forum user pasted some of my blog posts on her blog. I'm okay with that! BUT, she mentioned that the link wasn't working. That's because I changed the domain name.}

Also: I've addressed many comments from the naysayers on my blog, but just real quick here:

-The science and social studies paces ARE very fill-in-the-blank. However, in *our* home, science and social studies learning doesn't stop there. ;-) They get "critical thinking" from other things we do (I like checking out Living Books that correlate to their PACES). Also, the Lit/CW paces have a LOT of critical thinking.

To each her own and all...but I just wanted to address that one very common negative comment about ACE. :-) I'll also add that another thing I enjoy about ACE is that it is VERY "just the facts, ma'am"...which means we aren't spending alllll dayyyy longggg immersed in school-related stuff. I prefer to spend the 2.5-3 hours it takes to get PACES done to just get it done and move on with the rest of our day. {I do have four kids, after all...so I'm speaking of the start of child #1 to the end of child #4...but some days it takes less time} I know others feel differently, but I prefer not to spend the day focused on academics. We enjoy getting OUT of the house, spending lots of time out of doors studying nature, on nature walks, doing lots of read-alouds together, handicrafts (beading, scrapbooking, card-making, etc.). The straightforward no-frills approach of ACE lets us do that.

Is it my "favorite" curriculum? No, not really. As far as curricula goes, there are more exhaustive (and exhaustING) programs out there. But, coming from an unschooling background, I prefer to keep curriculum to a minimum.

I've also noticed that 80% of the negative comments (all over the web..not just here) come from people who have never even used PACEs. Just saying.

I've also used BJU's DVD program (as high as 3rd grade) in the past and that is EXTREMELY mom-intensive up until about 2nd grade. (I only mention that because I saw someone suggest that. Trust me, ACE's K program is going to be WAY less work on you than BJU's K5 DVDs!!!)

I'll also add that another thing I enjoy about ACE is that it is VERY "just the facts, ma'am"...which means we aren't spending alllll dayyyy longggg immersed in school-related stuff. I prefer to spend the 2.5-3 hours it takes to get PACES done to just get it done and move on with the rest of our day. {I do have four kids, after all...so I'm speaking of the start of child #1 to the end of child #4...but some days it takes less time} I know others feel differently, but I prefer not to spend the day focused on academics. We enjoy getting OUT of the house, spending lots of time out of doors studying nature, on nature walks, doing lots of read-alouds together, handicrafts (beading, scrapbooking, card-making, etc.). The straightforward no-frills approach of ACE lets us do that.

It's amazing what opportunities can open up for some children using leaner curricula like ACE and American School, because they are NOT doing academics all day.

I was taught half of my school years with ACE. It is behind and I remembered facts for the tests and totally forgot about them after that. The Social Studies, Science, and English is okay. If you are going to try it PLEASE steer clear of the Math. It's is super behind and your children will not understand math. After I finished ACE elementary math (getting fairly good grades) I went to a new school and flunked pre- algebra twice. I've really loved CLE math for my own children.

I used ACE Paces for 7th grade through 12th(graduated '91). Yes, yes and yes to the things listed here. It was very fill in the blank and yes, the math wasn't great. It wasn't bad for me because I read insatiably AND came from a family that used discussion to teach a lot. I made it through college easily anyway. I know a couple of families that have (recently) used it for K-6. One family had 2 daughters .. one begged to do something different and one begged to continue so it really depends on the child. The one who begged to continue loved following along with the Ace kids whose story continues in each pace. CLE (Christian Light Education) usually gets rave reviews here on the boards so you might look into that. Bottom line is, I wouldn't feel bad about using it if that is what you feel you can do.. but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had another option. I would love an all in one option which, if followed for the whole 12 years, would graduate my kids having learned all that they should have nut it just doesn't work for our family..

Well this is all very....interesting.

I can't really get on board with the idea that a curriculum is "behind." It seems to me that you'd just place your child where s/he will thrive, regardless of what level or grade number is on the cover...right? As for not being prepared for pre-Algebra, I just don't see that in the ACE community (speaking of others who have gone on to higher levels of Math). I guess it goes back to "birds of a feather" and how you'll find LOTS of good, positive stories in the ACE support group (so maybe that's why I have seen more positive reviews?).

In any case, just as I finished writing this, my husband and I sat down and decided that Charlotte Mason seems middle of the road for what we like (unschooling & PACEs), so currently I'm exploring those options. Never-ending. :(

I can't really get on board with the idea that a curriculum is "behind." It seems to me that you'd just place your child where s/he will thrive, regardless of what level or grade number is on the cover...right? :(

ACE does not have grade levels. There are SUGGESTIONS based on NORMAL child development, but the curriculum was designed for the child to be tested and placed at their ability level.

To say that suggestions based on normal development are behind a teacher intensive curriculum designed for graded private schools that cherry-pick and redshirt their students, doesn't make sense to me. This isn't even apples and oranges. This is apples and helicopters.

• 9 months later...
Guest Sjmormino

I just started using Ace/Pace with my almost 8 year old son I can see how if left alone with this curriculum he could easily manipulate a lot of the work without actually learning. I do however really like this curriculum! We use several Classical Curriculums that I love for teaching purposes but for my son, who is a visual learner, the language based learning was not enough. I still use all my favorite curriculums for teaching and we read aloud together a lot but the Paces have been a great supplement for added reading and vocabulary. I started him on the 3rd grade books so they would be challenging and I spend 5-15minutes with him each day on each book making sure he is learning the material. We still have plenty of time for our Classical education and Singapore math. The math books match up well for extra practice with Singapore math. His reading has already advanced because there is so much reading in this curriculum and Social Studies and Science are basically just vocabulary in my opinion not a true History or Science curriculum which again has been an added benefit for advancing reading skills and comprehension. As a full curriculum I would give it a thumbs down but for challenging and inexpensive busy work it gets 2 thumbs up!

Every curriculum needs to be evaluated in CONTEXT of everything ELSE that is going on in the child's life.

Also the children who are left floundering the most, from completing JUST ACE and almost nothing ELSE, are children who would have struggled to even complete the other curricula.

ACE used along with kids who unschool, work, and attend church and have lives works quite well. ACE students don't need more curriculum, just more SOMETHING. The something CAN be more curriculum, but it doesn't HAVE to be. It's the MORE that counts.

Kids who just rip through pages and then watch TV, are going to turn out like any kids who watch TV all day, and maybe even better.

NOTE: ACE is continuing to be updated. My reviews are based on the older editions, and I'm not sure how significant that is.

I have a fairly advanced 6 year old (summer birthday) and last year we seriously just did math, handwriting, and spelling (he'd been reading fluently since 3 or we'd have been doing phonics). We read library books of his choice and weren't even remotely consistent with school work until 6 months ago.

Just want to encourage you that scaling WAY back to something you can manage right now is totally fine. It's not harmful. They still make progress. LegoMan went through three math grades despite my lack of any consistency.

In terms of independent work, I have to tell you that's really not going to happen with a 5 year old (but don't I wish it were possible). Try to spend 10-15 minutes a day each on 2-3 core subjects. Don't stress the days you miss. Read some library books and call it good.

Oh sweet mommy, don't burn out when your oldest is 5 :). My 3rd born is 5 and I have littles too (and some olders). I also use ACE for some things (not all, just science, social studies, CW/Lit, and sometimes WB) for my girls who are reading, but I don't/wouldn't use it for K because it is a bit more complicated looking than it needs to be, too expensive etc. for that level. I don't like the way they do initial phonics instruction either. It isn't independent anyway until you have a confident reader/printer, nothing really is! My 5th grader works mostly on her own (and did last year too), but my 2nd grader still needs me for most things.

So. Big hugs. If you are burning out, stop everything. Pick one nice picture book to read aloud to all of your children each day. After you do that for a while, take a look at what CLE recommends for K. It is easy, gentle on YOU and little one, and developmentally appropriate. It's affordable too. Do 3-4 pages daily and you are done. Keep reading those picture books. That's it. That's mostly what I'm doing for my 5-yo this year, with some extra Bible and a Canadian history read aloud everyone does together.

Let her play the rest of the time - dress ups, play dough, Lego etc.

Really. Don't overburden yourself. It is EASY to do with your oldest child, but not necessary or fruitful. Take good care.

((((HUGS!!!!))) Please, please, please give yourself a break!! I am old. My kids are older now (11 and 12). Please don't stress out about "school" with a 5 year old. I know the pressure - family, friends who's kids "know to count to 1 million by 3s and can read", DH (even if he's super suportive), In-laws, parents.... I know. You feel like you NEED to do something. You NEED a schedule. You NEED curriculum.

If I had a magic wand, and I were granted a do-over. For K, I would:

Do ONE phonics curriculum. Probably OPGTTR.Or Phonics Pathways. Or Alpha Phonics. One. Not all. Not supplementing. One. And we'd do it every day for about 15-20 minutes.

I'd get a math. I love Horizon, so I'd use that. CLE is highly regarded as well. Pick ONE. Not all. Not supplementing. One. And we'd do it every day for about 15-20 minutes.

And we'd read a bible story every day. Probably from The Vos Children's Bible. One a day. Every day.

And we'd go to the library and get 20 picture books a week. Great ones. Fun ones. Sonlight list ones and 100 Great Books ones, and the Read Aloud handbook ones. And we'd snuggle and read. We'd drink tea and walk in the woods. We'd paint. And bake. And make a mess. And do laundry. And draw with chalk on the driveway. And have sleepovers and read at bedtime. With nice music and a candle. And we'd do crafts. Seasonal fun things. Like leaf prints and stuff like that.

And I'd do that all year. And in 1st I'd add in FLL. And that's about it.

Take a deep breath. It's a marathon. You'll be OK!

I only know one person who was educated with paces. She started in a school with cubicles and basically untrained teachers and was then pulled out to home school still using paces though her mother dropped the cubicles once she was more confident. She turned out OK but said it was a boring way to school. I think it was easier once the changed to home schooling because they finished by lunch.

Even an advanced 5 year old doesn't need that and a 2.5 year old just needs you to read to them and provide stuff to play with.

We used ACE briefly, and in general my kids enjoyed it.  They liked the independence and the structure.  I stopped using it for 2 reasons. 1) My older two children complained the science was so oversimplified it was outright wrong.  I have not verified their complaints because I was planning to stop anyway due to reason 2) expense. (With 4 children, it was stretching my budget thin.)  My 3rd child LOVED the read and fill-in-the-blank thing, though.  She has requested to go back to it.  Instead, we are going to give Starline Press a try for one subject.  It appears to have a similar format, but secular.

My cousins were educated in a very small ACE school, and I asked them their opinion before I bought it.  They all pretty much liked it (one complained about the insistence on making kids read the directions rather actually helping them with math, but she otherwise liked it (which to me is more implementation than a flaw with the curriculum...though they do advocate that approach.)  

I think it would be excellent though for the use you describe...to get you through a tough year.  As for whether it will be too easy for your 5th grader,  I can't say.  None of my kids had any difficulty with elementary level curriculum, but my oldest tried one high school course, and he had to drop it because it was too hard (World Geography).  My only kid to complain the material was too easy was my gifted youngest...so I tried placing her way ahead of age level, and then she hated it!  I will say that on a good day, my kids could complete all their subjects in 2 1/2 hours.  (It was rare that they applied themselves in that manner, but it did happen.)   Some might consider that a little too easy...but if the family is stressed by a new baby, medical issues, etc...I think this is a great way to take some burden off of mom, and allow school to get done.  Sometimes that's more important!

• 2 weeks later...

Bluedarling: I'm wondering if you ordered the Starline Press yet? I am trying to find something secular for science and history and looked at the Starline Press. I like what I see, but the cost is WAY more than ACE. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost, especially if it is basically ACE without the religious aspect. 

My daughter loves the ACE paces, so I want to stick with something workbook based.