Menu

Why all the name changes?

Denisemomof4

I wonder, too. I feel like I have amnesia! I've found that some of the name changers have a distinct "voice" and I recognize them immediately, however many I don't recognize, despite their post count, and I'm too lazy to click and see who they were :o . That makes them seem like noobs!

Guest inoubliable

This is how I feel about the name changes...

Grumpy-Cat.jpg

Hahahaha. I'm one of those who changed names. I only did it yesterday when I found out that someone who knew me had Googled something that I was talking about that day and a thread here popped up in the search results. A thread I had participated in. She told me about it and I just felt like that was a little too close for comfort. The name I was using before, well if you knew me IRL you'd know that was my screen name.

Guest inoubliable

So now you think we can simply forget that name ? :)

No? LOL. But I didn't want any snoopy family members finding a well-known screen name (for me) on any board that I frequent. ;) Besides, I've been told that I am.... inoubliable.

I've been here for almost three years, and I feel like I'm walking in a new neighborhood too, Denise. I was going to change my name for privacy reasons also though.

Then I saw that there is a history setting, like you said. Does that mean if I change my name three times the first name will no longer be there?

I changed mine because my screen name was my first name. I'm having problems with family members right now. It's so easy to change my name now and I've wanted to for at least a year but didn't want to the bug the moderators.

I kept my name in my siggy for awhile though and kept my picture the same. I recognize lots of people by their pictures anyway.

Sorry if it bugs people. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to pretend I had a little more privacy.

I changed mine because my screen name was my first name. I'm having problems with family members right now. It's so easy to change my name now and I've wanted to for at least a year but didn't want to the bug the moderators.

I kept my name in my siggy for awhile though and kept my picture the same. I recognize lots of people by their pictures anyway.

Sorry if it bugs people. That wasn't my intent. I just wanted to pretend I had a little more privacy.

I still knew you were you because you kept the same picture. That was very helpful. :)

I hate to gripe, I really do, but after 14 years here, it's just not the same anymore. :(

I find it quite disconcerting, too. It was OK when it was just a few people, but it seems to be quite the trend to change your username, and it's difficult to get used to so many at once.

My only change was that I finally added an avatar. I had no choice. The white-silhouette-chalk-outline-thingie was creepy. :ack2:

I changed my name. I had wanted to change it for a while but didn't want to bug the Mods. I have posted some stuff here recently that was about living where I am and I know that DH is a privacy freak. Just wanted to have a little more anonymity. Left my avatar the same as a way to ease the transition. I'm not a common "voice" here anyway so I didn't think it would bug anyone. I'm sorry to contribute to the confusion!

I never expected to do anything but lurk when I signed up for this board. The other name was easy for me to remember but not private. I have a number of friends who I suspect might lurk here probably thanks to me recommending the WTM to them! I just didn't want to be identified at a glance. I didn't want to bother the moderator's so I kept what I had. I wish I had put more thought into it this time--there are many great names I have thought of since! But no plans to switch again, I plan to live with my lack of creativity. I am honestly still a bit shocked that it worked.

I added an avitar etc the same day because dh was willing to help me figure out how. I was so happy to get rid of my old name he wanted to enhance my experience I think.

I changed mine because what I was using was the name I used on message boards for a long time where I had posted more identifiable information over the years, so it wasn't very private. Although the old name can be found on my profile, I don't think it comes up in a google search. I kept my same avatar, but I'll probably change it after a while. One change at a time.

Sorry it bugs people but I understand the reasons for it, obviously. I don't feel too badly though. I did it when I only had around 800 posts and I kept my sig the same for now. I used to change my avatar often so I did change mine but I think that was before the name change function became active. And I don't plan to change it again.

It sounds like a decent number of people don't care to investigate to see the name history. So while it is there and somewhat negates the privacy you could get through a change, I figured a lot of people won't bother to check (esp. when I don't post a ton) and anyone that goes through the trouble will get the small reward of knowing my old name.

As far as privacy concerns, my old name wasn't so identifying and I wasn't having so many problems that I needed to ask to start over a new account. But I saw an easy option where I wouldn't have to bug the mods and would give me enough of a change w/o starting over here. And like others, I signed up here when I wasn't expecting to hang around here.

Call me grumpy, but I HATE it. I do not think that users being able to change their own name fosters any sense of community. I find it annoying to constantly be wondering who half the posters are, and I don't really care to click and investigate.

I would agree that changing a name (esp. name/avatar/sig) as often as it looks to be allowed would be annoying.

And there are some that I'd be really thrown off by if they changed -- again, if they changed their avatar at the same time and went to a completely unrelated name. For example, you have far more posts than I do and I see them (and like them!) often enough that I'd probably wonder where you went if you'd changed names and I didn't know.

Call me grumpy, but I HATE it. I do not think that users being able to change their own name fosters any sense of community. I find it annoying to constantly be wondering who half the posters are, and I don't really care to click and investigate.

Same here. It is very disorientating. I did try to look up one person to figure out who they were and I still couldn't figure it out, it is not worth the time. I find that I skip over a lot more posts and threads.

I changed my name. There are so many variations of Wendi/Wendy on here I was getting confused. Every time "Wendi" posts, I think it's me posting :p. My poor little mind was all mixed up. I did keep my avatar and siggy. I figured it would be easy to identify my posts. "Oh look! There's a maniacal raving from THAT girl. Again."