Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

We have three priests that serve our parish and each homily is like a history lesson. They always teach context. They have a LOT of schooling to go through to become a priest, and I really appreciate that.

I reverted last year, and one thing you will find in reading all of those conversion books is that the process is almost always the same, the same journey and you really understand that it's not just you. And, the conversion process is also just like your first, when you came to the understanding of Christ (that was in the book, Forming Intentional Disciples, and the author wrote out the process and yep, you can just check it off.)

If you really want a great book that will blow your mind, read How to Go From Being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in Ninety-Five Difficult Steps. You will swear that the author had a video camera set up in your house and somehow knew all your thoughts.

I actually already have this book on my Kindle app for my phone. I really don't enjoy reading things on my phone but what I have read is interesting. I do feel that his tone is a bit "angry" toward Evangelicalism. I'm not angry. I have felt like such a crappy Christian for so long because I just don't connect with God in the same style as Evangelicals. Now that I'm exploring Catholicism again I feel so happy and thankful. I feel like maybe all this time it wasn't me.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually already have this book on my Kindle app for my phone. I really don't enjoy reading things on my phone but what I have read is interesting. I do feel that his tone is a bit "angry" toward Evangelicalism. I'm not angry. I have felt like such a crappy Christian for so long because I just don't connect with God in the same style as Evangelicals. Now that I'm exploring Catholicism again I feel so happy and thankful. I feel like maybe all this time it wasn't me.

I personally know the author and I can assure you that he is not angry. He and his wife were on the brink of becoming Catholic for many years, and he is a sociologist, so he had plenty of time to observe discrepancies about evangelicalism.

Forgive me again! for not doing the quote thingy right. I promise not to use it anymore until I learn.

I just wanted to add that I love the Journey Home. It is very assuring to hear testimonies from others who have experienced the same things. It can be VERY lonely at first.

At the bottom right of the post you want to quote, there's a QUOTE button, just hit it.

If you want to quote a few, hit the MULTIQUOTE on all the quotes you want, then hit reply.

Journey Home was all I watched as I was reverting. You are so right.

I have everybody who PMd me responded to or added. To make the FB group Secret (and not readable by your family and friends), it meant you all have to friend someone who is already a member and then that person will add you to the group.

So if you want in, PM me for my FB page link and let me know your name (so I know who to look for). Then add me as a friend (you don't have to keep me as one if you don't want to ;) ) I will accept the friend request and add you in to the group.

I am sorry if I have missed anybody. The ipad is glitchy sometimes. Justamouse and Parrothead can also add people, if I don't get to you quickly enough.

I can just barely use FB with any accuracy or finesse, and you give me power? If FB goes up in a puff of smoke it will be my fault.

I can just barely use FB with any accuracy or finesse, and you give me power? If FB goes up in a puff of smoke it will be my fault.

Yup! All hail Admin Chucki! You can't break Facebook. It is indestructible. Kind of like a cockroach.

Yup! All hail Admin Chucki! You can't break Facebook. It is indestructible. Kind of like a cockroach.

Yes, that is exactly how I feel about it, but I didn't have much choice. I was being left behind. I'm still pouting about it.

\Having power makes things better, though. Thanks.

I personally know the author and I can assure you that he is not angry. He and his wife were on the brink of becoming Catholic for many years, and he is a sociologist, so he had plenty of time to observe discrepancies about evangelicalism.

That is good to know. Now that you mentioned that the author is a sociologist I can see how the book reads like a collection of observations rather than a personal journey.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

I am staying offline more often for Lent, but I wanted to pop in here and say thanks for directing me to this thread and the eventual social group. I am in the midst of exploring things right now, but I am a Cradle Catholic and cultural Italian Catholic that grew up in the 1980s happy lovey dovey CCD. Consequently, I feel as though I actually didn't learn too much other than a few basics. I am a first generation American on my father's side, so we did do a lot of things that were things my family apparently did in Italy that were intrinsically Catholic. My grandmother and father really didn't go to Mass much, but they followed everything else and said the Rosary. It's kind of weird in retrospect. My husband was raised without religion in his life other than basic Christianity. His mom went to Catholic schools but didn't practice, his dad went to vacation bible school randomly without a particular attachment to religion.

You can see where I have some struggles going on here! I am looking forward to exploring the thread so it might help my thoughts.

Sounds like my experience growing up. CCD was mostly a waste of time. I feel like there is so much I missed out on.

So are you all wandering off to FB and abandoning this thread? I'll miss you!

I'm still here.

No, the FB is in addition to, not instead of. Fear not.

Indeed.

Also, I believe some gals were hunting down cameras to show me pictures of their home altars. :) I ran the idea of making our own by DH and he had no objections. We're moving this summer so he thought it would be something to do after we moved.

Good morning-

I'd love to ask this q. on FB but I don't have an account. I have been reading so many great books and reading many testimonies that have me nodding my head in agreement. BUT. I keep bumping into Mary. I think she's wonderful and certainly deserves more credit than the Protestant Church gives her.

It's the Marian adoration that troubles me. Are there any books or advice you could give. I know that this is not uncommon, nor do I mean to be controversial. It's just where I seem to get stuck.I'm happy to pursue this offline if someone prefers.

It's the Marian adoration that troubles me. Are there any books or advice you could give. I know that this is not uncommon, nor do I mean to be controversial. It's just where I seem to get stuck.I'm happy to pursue this offline if someone prefers.

What is it that troubles you? If it's rumors that Catholics "worship" Mary, that's just plain not true. At the end of His life, Jesus said to his disciples that Mary would be their mother now, and we believe that passes down to us, so she's our mother now too, and we respect her in that way.

Our pastor has two good points on this that he mentions frequently. Neither is a specific church teaching, but they are helpful allegories anyway.

One: if a kid wants something big, they often go to mom to get her to ask dad. As the "children" in a heavenly family, it's nice to have this same option. We don't pray to Mary. We do ask her to pray for us, just like we would ask a friend the same thing. The theoretical kid here could ask his friend to ask his dad, but asking his mom to do it is more likely to be effective. Or mom is more likely to let him down gently, while his friend would egg him on.

Two: imagine you're at a party, and your mom is also there, and everyone greets you, makes conversation, but ignores your mom, just doesn't acknowledge her at all. That would be hurtful, to her and to you on her behalf. Wouldn't Jesus feel the same hurt? That doesn't put Mary on the same level as Jesus, but helps to explain why just ignoring her altogether can't be right.

It is important to keep always in mind that Mary always, always leads us to her son. Mary wants nothing more than to draw us closer to Jesus.

During my process of coming back to the Church this was also my struggle. I kept coming up against Mary. What I finally realized was that I was ready to accept the authority of the Church on everything else. I was ready to believe that something that looked like bread was really the Body of Christ. I decided to step out on faith on the whole "Mary thing" because I thought, "Even though I don't get it, I trust the Church on everything else, they must be right about Mary."

It was only two or three months later that I realized I was fine with Mary. I still probably don't have the kind of piety for our Blessed Mother as some, but it's all a journey.

I don't know if that's helpful for you. A book I read was Scott Hahn's Hail, Holy Queen. I don't know what perspective you are coming from but I found the scriptural arguments for Marian theology to be very helpful.

Just an FYI on the FB group: I have responded to everyone who has PMd me. I am going to be at an AHG campout all day, so it will be late tonight or tomorrow before I can add anyone else. You are all welcome join, but I just won't be home to do it! Parrothead and Justamouse can also add you if you need in today.

And again, we are not shutting down over here. Just giving another option with increased privacy for those who want that. :)

Has anyone bought/read YouCat?

It has an overall high rating on Amazon, but I am hesitant to get it after reading some of the negative comments/reviews. Since I feel as though I am still relatively young in my faith due to poor catechisis (sp?), I do not want to confuse myself or my children by not being able to pick out errors on my own. Does that make sense?

ETA: we are currently reading the St Joseph's Catechism No.1 together, but I am looking for something more for my dd12 for next year.

Has anyone bought/read YouCat?

It has an overall high rating on Amazon, but I am hesitant to get it after reading some of the negative comments/reviews. Since I feel as though I am still relatively young in my faith due to poor catechisis (sp?), I do not want to confuse myself or my children by not being able to pick out errors on my own. Does that make sense?

ETA: we are currently reading the St Joseph's Catechism No.1 together, but I am looking for something more for my dd12 for next year.

I haven't seen it. It seems possible that the presentation is not necessarily what one would wish (though I don't know . . . just glanced through the reviews). But I would be confident of its being free from error. It is a church publication.

Do you know the "nihil obstat"? It is given to books that were reviewed by a bishop and declared to be free from error. There are things about which faithful Catholics may disagree, but a book with a nihil obstat is not going to lead you astray, doctrinally.

Though, you should know, too, that the nihil obstat is no longer required so just because a book doesn't have it, doesn't mean it's bad.

I know that the master catechist who teaches our co-op's theology class used the YouCat last year in her class, in addition to the Didache textbooks and the regular CCC. She said that she liked the more relaxed style and that it addresses teen questions on topics relating more specifically to modern life.

(Insert standard disclaimers here: I'm EO, and I've not used it, etc, etc. )

What is it that troubles you? If it's rumors that Catholics "worship" Mary, that's just plain not true. At the end of His life, Jesus said to his disciples that Mary would be their mother now, and we believe that passes down to us, so she's our mother now too, and we respect her in that way.

I don't believe that Catholics 'worship' Mary. I think it's just hard to have that kind relationship with her when it has always been taboo to do so. It still feels unnatural for me.

I appreciate your reply.

It is important to keep always in mind that Mary always, always leads us to her son. Mary wants nothing more than to draw us closer to Jesus.

During my process of coming back to the Church this was also my struggle. I kept coming up against Mary. What I finally realized was that I was ready to accept the authority of the Church on everything else. I was ready to believe that something that looked like bread was really the Body of Christ. I decided to step out on faith on the whole "Mary thing" because I thought, "Even though I don't get it, I trust the Church on everything else, they must be right about Mary."

It was only two or three months later that I realized I was fine with Mary. I still probably don't have the kind of piety for our Blessed Mother as some, but it's all a journey.

I don't know if that's helpful for you. A book I read was Scott Hahn's Hail, Holy Queen. I don't know what perspective you are coming from but I found the scriptural arguments for Marian theology to be very helpful.

What you say makes a lot of sense. I have found this to be true for some of the other doctrines that stumped me at first. And now upon reflection they aren't an issue anymore.

*I think I finally got the hang of the quote option.

Do you know the "nihil obstat"? It is given to books that were reviewed by a bishop and declared to be free from error. There are things about which faithful Catholics may disagree, but a book with a nihil obstat is not going to lead you astray, doctrinally.

This is supposed to be the case, and it's generally true, but with all the flaky theology that was taught in some places in the 60's and beyond with the so-called "spirit of Vatican II," books with heterodox or misleading elements occasionally slipped through the cracks. For whatever reason, the Vatican was sometimes slow to deal with this. There were some books that had been causing confusion for years, and finally had their imprimatur withdrawn when John Paul II became pope, and more specifically, when Cardinal Ratzinger became head of the CDF (one of the reasons he got the nickname "God's Rottweiler"). Christ Among Us is one of the most notorious examples.

Even decades later, there are still imprimatur-ed copies of these books being sold in second-hand shops, so caveat emptor. If it comes from the mid- to late 20th century, is billed as an "updated" presentation of the faith, and contains material that doesn't sit right with what you know of Church teaching, by all means look it up and see if there's any controversy about its status. (Or just skip it. It's been my experience that, apart from a few publishers who are known for their orthodoxy, most of the Catholic books published in those decades aren't of lasting quality.)

Books from the 1950's and earlier that bear these official marks, and Vatican publications, are very unlikely to have significant problems. But even the CCC had some modifications after it was published, because the first edition had some passages that gave an incomplete and potentially confusing version of the teaching in question. It sounds as if the issues with the YouCat were more serious. I would hope they've sorted it out by now, but haven't looked at it myself.

As a point of terminology -- just as we don't worship Mary, we don't adore her, either. (Adoration is for God alone.) You might hear some Catholics saying otherwise, but they're either misinformed or maybe just being careless in their use of language. It happens. :cool:

The special honor, love, trust, veneration we give to Mary is an extension of the honor we give to other created things, but in the most pure and intense form. :001_wub:

The worship of God is in a whole different category. This Catholic Encyclopedia entry has a technical description.

As for how to make Mary part of our lives -- the natural way would be to ask her, simply, as a child would, to show us how. She is very understanding and gentle, and would never want to barge in and put someone off. Not that it can't be helpful to study her theological and scriptural significance and so on, but she's a person, and personal relationships are built on experience.

Hi all! :seeya: I haven't been keeping up with your group, but may I pop in with a quick question?

My mom was raised Catholic and told me that the name she took at confirmation was Frances. In the Orthodox tradition, we take the name of a particular saint, so I'm assuming it is the same in the Catholic church. She said she doesn't remember at all that it was even a specific saint. She is no longer interested in Catholicism in any way, but I am curious who her saint was. Is there a way to find out? Like if I called the church where she used to go, might they have records that would tell me? This would have been close to 1960, but the little church is still there.

Hmm, I don't know. I'll try to ask her.

ETA: As I was looking at the different saints with that name, I came across this one and thought, 'This just HAS to be the one!' As if... it's almost that familiar feeling. There's a pretty good chance it was someone else and I'm dead wrong! :) My great-great grandparents immigrated from Italy during this St. Frances' lifetime - she came to America from Italy and is the patron saint of immigrants.

Good morning-

I'd love to ask this q. on FB but I don't have an account. I have been reading so many great books and reading many testimonies that have me nodding my head in agreement. BUT. I keep bumping into Mary. I think she's wonderful and certainly deserves more credit than the Protestant Church gives her.

Mary was one of my largest stumbling blocks, so many of us have felt that exact same way.

Here's the thing, yo udon't overnight have a relationship with someone, right? So, take your time and get to know each other. :D

I don't believe that Catholics 'worship' Mary. I think it's just hard to have that kind relationship with her when it has always been taboo to do so. It still feels unnatural for me.

I appreciate your reply.

I love what Father Longnecker has to say about Mary, because he was once Protestant, so he totally gets it. Here's his article, "Do Catholics Worship Mary." And "Do Catholics Pray to Mary?"

Hmm, I don't know. I'll try to ask her.

ETA: As I was looking at the different saints with that name, I came across this one and thought, 'This just HAS to be the one!' As if... it's almost that familiar feeling. There's a pretty good chance it was someone else and I'm dead wrong! :) My great-great grandparents immigrated from Italy during this St. Frances' lifetime - she came to America from Italy and is the patron saint of immigrants.

Mother Cabrini spent some time at our parish! She is very popular with Italian immigrants, obviously. But so is Francis of Assisi.

Why do you want to know? Just interested in who might be interceding for your mom? :) I think either of these saints would have been a popular choice with Italians in the 1960s so you could read up on them and talk with your mom. I don't know if anyone on this thread is old enough to know what the traditions were like in the 1960s. Much as now, things varied from region to region and parish to parish. Nowadays, the patron one takes at Confirmation is sometimes a deeply investigated, prayerfully made decision. And sometimes (like with me) they say, "Oh, your middle name is already "Catholic", you're good." (Mine is Elizabeth of which there are a lot of saints!).

When my grandmother was baptizing her children just before and just after 1960, they were required to have Catholic names for baptism. Three of her kids do but her oldest, they just picked a name they liked for her legal name and when she was baptized just more or less randomly picked a female saint whose name began with the same letter.

So, sometimes names had a lot of significance in those days. And sometimes they didn't. But I firmly believe that the saints up in heaven are forgiving and want as much company as possible and are praying for us regardless. So I encourage you to see if your mom feels like she had a connection to either Franci/es (she would have used the feminine spelling, regardless).

That is good to know. Now that you mentioned that the author is a sociologist I can see how the book reads like a collection of observations rather than a personal journey.

Thanks,

Elise in NC

Yes, his wife specifically told him she wasn't interested in being the next Scott and Kimberly Hahn. Hence, he did not write a personal journey.

My confirmation name was chosen in about 5 minutes by flipping through a book of saints and choosing someone named Christina who did some far out things like levitate. There was really no thought involved. My fabulous 70s/early 80s Catholic education at work again.

elīsheba, it looks like you are correct. I checked on Catholic Answers and read that nuns and sisters are part of the laity like brothers. I must've misunderstood what they were teaching in elementary school (4th grade, I think).

It's likely enough they would be lumped together in terms of encouraging vocations to "the priesthood and religious life". So possibly you are remembering that?

Mother Cabrini spent some time at our parish! She is very popular with Italian immigrants, obviously. But so is Francis of Assisi.

Why do you want to know? Just interested in who might be interceding for your mom? :) I think either of these saints would have been a popular choice with Italians in the 1960s so you could read up on them and talk with your mom. I don't know if anyone on this thread is old enough to know what the traditions were like in the 1960s. Much as now, things varied from region to region and parish to parish. Nowadays, the patron one takes at Confirmation is sometimes a deeply investigated, prayerfully made decision. And sometimes (like with me) they say, "Oh, your middle name is already "Catholic", you're good." (Mine is Elizabeth of which there are a lot of saints!).

When my grandmother was baptizing her children just before and just after 1960, they were required to have Catholic names for baptism. Three of her kids do but her oldest, they just picked a name they liked for her legal name and when she was baptized just more or less randomly picked a female saint whose name began with the same letter.

So, sometimes names had a lot of significance in those days. And sometimes they didn't. But I firmly believe that the saints up in heaven are forgiving and want as much company as possible and are praying for us regardless. So I encourage you to see if your mom feels like she had a connection to either Franci/es (she would have used the feminine spelling, regardless).

Yep, that is exactly why I want to know! :) My mom already thinks I'm off my rocker about this whole saints' intercession stuff, so I don't want to push too much. When I asked, her reply was simply, "I have no idea which saint that was. We probably were given a list of names to pick from. I really have no clue." She left behind everything Catholic many years ago and I don't believe there is anything else she would be able to tell me. That's why I wondered if there were records kept of things like that.

Hi all! :seeya: I haven't been keeping up with your group, but may I pop in with a quick question?

My mom was raised Catholic and told me that the name she took at confirmation was Frances. In the Orthodox tradition, we take the name of a particular saint, so I'm assuming it is the same in the Catholic church. She said she doesn't remember at all that it was even a specific saint. She is no longer interested in Catholicism in any way, but I am curious who her saint was. Is there a way to find out? Like if I called the church where she used to go, might they have records that would tell me? This would have been close to 1960, but the little church is still there.

It could also be St. Frances of Rome, another famous Italian female saint. http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=49

I love Frances of Rome, I so wanted to name one of my girls Frances after her and call her Francie. (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite books, too, and I loved little Francie.) Sadly my husband was not on board.

You could try to call the parish where she was confirmed. They would definitely have record of the confirmation itself, but I don't know if they record patron saint names.

Yep, that is exactly why I want to know! :) My mom already thinks I'm off my rocker about this whole saints' intercession stuff, so I don't want to push too much. When I asked, her reply was simply, "I have no idea which saint that was. We probably were given a list of names to pick from. I really have no clue." She left behind everything Catholic many years ago and I don't believe there is anything else she would be able to tell me. That's why I wondered if there were records kept of things like that.

yes, there may be records. If you know the date or year of her confirmation and the church where the confirmation took place their confirmation names may have bee recorded. I know my current diocese has done away with the practice of picking saint names. But I think this is a recent occurrence.

It could also be St. Frances of Rome, another famous Italian female saint. http://www.catholic....php?saint_id=49

I love Frances of Rome, I so wanted to name one of my girls Frances after her and call her Francie. (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my favorite books, too, and I loved little Francie.) Sadly my husband was not on board.

You could try to call the parish where she was confirmed. They would definitely have record of the confirmation itself, but I don't know if they record patron saint names.

My husband really wants a Francie for the same reason. I love that book, too, but I don't know about Francie . . .

As Easter Vigil gets closer, it is time for me to start thinking about my first Reconciliation. The RCIA director recommends that for the first time we make an appointment with the priest and do it face to face. However, to be honest I'm a little nervous about this. I've spoken to a deacon and he said it is perfectly fine and acceptable to choose one of their scheduled reconciliation times where I can be anonymous. According to the deacon, as long as I let the priest know this is my first time, he will guide me through the process. Does anyone have any advice? Do you prefer anonymous or face to face confession? Any tips or encouragement are welcome. As an ex-protestant the sacrament of reconciliation is a little intimidating to me.

Thanks,

Robin

When I went to confession for the first time in close to 30 years I picked a priest I didn't know and went in face-to-face. He was the kindest of men and walked me through the whole thing.

That first time is a doozy but the more you do it the easier it gets. You may want to bring a handful of tissue.

As Easter Vigil gets closer, it is time for me to start thinking about my first Reconciliation. The RCIA director recommends that for the first time we make an appointment with the priest and do it face to face. However, to be honest I'm a little nervous about this. I've spoken to a deacon and he said it is perfectly fine and acceptable to choose one of their scheduled reconciliation times where I can be anonymous. According to the deacon, as long as I let the priest know this is my first time, he will guide me through the process. Does anyone have any advice? Do you prefer anonymous or face to face confession? Any tips or encouragement are welcome. As an ex-protestant the sacrament of reconciliation is a little intimidating to me.

Thanks,

Robin

I still get nervous, and I am a cradle Catholic who made my first confession in 1969! It's easier if I go frequently, though.

I have never had a bad confession experience, though I know a few people who have. Most priests are very understanding and will want to help you in receiving this sacrament. That is why they are priests. I personally prefer face to face confession but you can do it either way. You will not shock the priest with anything you say! Believe me, they have heard it all before. God bless you as you prepare to receive this healing sacrament.

Confession time about confession: I always forget the Act of Contrition. It is a combination of nerves and having to memorize different versions with each kid for theirs. ;). I try to carry a card with it on there now. Or I have to make one up on the spot. And I have been doing this pretty regularly for 17 years now.

But Reconciliation leaves me with such peace. It is such amazing thing to confess, get counsel, and actually hear you are forgiven. And it helps me to be accountable.

It could also be St. Frances of Rome, another famous Italian female saint. http://www.catholic....php?saint_id=49

Man, now I want a Frances, too! What a great story of her life! (Actually, what about Francesca?, Francie for short?)

What a beautiful story! :)

Thanks,

Robin

I always prefer going not face to face. It's almost never anonymous since we have such a small parish and know the priests pretty well. But I just prefer the darkness, and the penitential posture that the "anonymous" set up provides. When I came back to the Church I was making my first confession in 12 years and, that time, I did go face to face. But I was going to a priest I knew well and had guided me but was not expecting me (I don't think I knew then that you could make appointments). He was super helpful.

You should do whatever you are comfortable with but just say, "This is my first general confession." If you feel well-prepared, just dive right in. But it's also fine for you to then say, "Could you guide me through an examination of conscience?"

Cheat sheets are also totally fine. You can write a list of the things you'd like to confess and also write down what you are supposed to say when, including the Act of Contrition.

I'm always nervous about confession but it is a great grace. I hope your first is a wonderful experience of God's mercy for you.