Menu

Hitting the ROAD??? Help me wrap my mind around this!

dietmom

DH is between projects right now and really wants to hit the road. We have homeschooled before but this year all 3 of our kids are in school. They are ages 8-11-13. He wants to just pull them all out and hit the road for a few months and go somewhere warmer to explore. I am in such a routine here-it is hard to consider for me how I would make this work. It would be music/language lessons on hold for a few months. The plan is to hit a few places in the south--not necessarily to travel all around the country--so we wouldn't be driving all the time. He is so excited about this--and i'm just nervous. Anyone have some great ideas how you would make this work--or is it just nuts?

Are you planning to put them back into school for the next school year or as soon as you get home? I have to say, if I was just pulling them for a few months and planning to re-enroll as soon as we got home, I wouldn't do it. Not with a 13 year old. Maybe with early elementary kids but not Jr. High. If you were planning to homeschool next year, sure. If you were planning to finish out the school year at home, maybe.

But as for specific suggestions, I would focus on figuring out where the 11 and 13 year olds (especially) are in math and make sure you keep them on track there. I would use your months on the road to read some awesome literature that they might not really get exposed to in public school. And I would spend a lot of time on writing and grammar, since that is often very lacking in public school. I would do what I could to keep up their vocabulary in whatever language(s) they are learning. I've never done anything like this and it sounds fun and doable but I would think you should make sure you aren't fragmenting your oldest child's education just before he heads off to high school.

The ex-governor of Maine, Angus King, took his kids out of school and did this when his term expired. He wrote a book on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Governors-Travels-Politics-Learned-America/dp/0892729732/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354308906&sr=8-1&keywords=Angus+King

Angus King chronicles RV travels in new book

By Clarke Canfield, The Associated Press

Posted June 24, 2011, at 8:18 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — The day after leaving office following an eight-year stint as Maine’s governor, Angus King hit the road.

For the next 5½ months, King, his wife and their two children lived together in a 40-foot RV, driving 15,000 miles and traveling through 33 states.

The journey was King’s way of making the shift from being “The Man†with a staff, constant press attention and 24-hour-a-day police protection to being “simply a man,†he writes in his new book, “Governor’s Travels: How I Left Politics, Learned to Back Up a Bus, and Found America.†The book will be on bookstore shelves in mid-July.

“The trip turned out to be the perfect transition from a job like governor because it was utterly different from what I had been doing, but it was still engaging,†King told The Associated Press. “I didn’t go from the intensity of being governor to sitting in a rocking chair and reading a newspaper. I went to something that was very engaging. But instead of worrying about the Legislature, I was worrying about whether the next RV park had a dump station.â€

King was elected governor as an independent in 1994, his first run for public office, and was re-elected in a landslide in 1998. Prohibited by law from running for a third term, he left office in January 2003.

He and his wife decided to buy a motor home equipped with all the comforts of home, take 12-year-old Ben and 9-year-old Molly out of school and embark on an extended, leisurely trip with no specific itinerary. King kept a log during their travels, which he then took to Down East Books.

The result is a 160-page book that chronicles the voyage, which took them from Maine to Florida, then west through the southern states to California, north to the Pacific Northwest and back east through the northern states and Canada.

The book drives home the themes of transition, family and travel, King said, while encouraging people to live their dream.

“It’s amazing the number of people I talk to who get kind of misty about the idea of traveling across the county with their family,†King said. “Either they did it as a kid, they knew someone who had done it or they always want to do it. It seems to be a fantasy many Americans have, and part of the purpose of the books is to encourage people to do it. If I can learn to back up a bus, believe me, anybody can.â€

The book will be distributed nationally, said editor Michael Steere.

King, 67, said he’s also going to the Family Motor Coach Association’s annual convention in August in Madison, Wis., where he’ll present a slide show and try to sell a few books.

“It’s a fun book,†he said. “This isn’t going to replace ‘Look Homeward, Angel’ in high school literature classes, but I hope people will enjoy it from the perspective of travel and RV-ing.â€

Are you planning to put them back into school for the next school year or as soon as you get home? I have to say, if I was just pulling them for a few months and planning to re-enroll as soon as we got home, I wouldn't do it. Not with a 13 year old.

I agree with this. I think with a 13 year old I would be hesitant to pull the student if I was going to have to put them right back in. Would you be able to talk to the school and maybe take their work with them? Would the kids get behind in their language/music lessons?

I notice that you are not new here. Did you homeschool at one time or afterschool?

That makes a difference IMO on how to go about this. We have a fun thread going on how to home ed for one year out of a carry on suitcase. I can't figure out how to link with a kindle fire so you need to hunt for it. That will give you some ideas on what is needed. Most of the posters there have been doing this for a couple of years at least. Both parents and kids are adjusted to home ed. I think it might be hard to jump in to home ed and need to do it on the road with a teenager. Let us know a few more details and we might have more suggestions.

I'd do it in a heartbeat, even in 8th grade. I wish we could take our sabbatical in the middle of the year instead of the summer, so I COULD do this.

Ds left his school in 8th for 7 weeks to be a page in the Senate. I wish I could have homeschooled him after--so I do understand the concern about putting them back in mid-year. I'd just plan on keeping them out.

One fun thing to make writing exciting would be to have them either contribute to a family blog or design/write their own. We will do this with dd when we go to Jerusalem.

I think it'd be fun to hang a big map in the RV and keep track of where you are.

Have them keep journals with photos they take, brochures, etc. (Blogs are online journals but you could do a book one.)

Keep going with exposure to the languages they are studying by loading ipods with exercises they can do, maybe children's books in that language, etc.

A dad wants to spend all day, every day with his family having an adventure? He has the means to fund it? I could have the car packed and everyone strapped in in an hour and a half!

If the kids had to go back to school, I'd request their work from the school, toss out any busywork, and replace the inevitable edict to write a journal with a blog. I'd suggest we spend an hour or two in a library or cafe most mornings working on maths, languages and general reading while Husband packed and sourced food. Load up with audiobooks from Librivox and audios of their languages, blog in the evenings, bring instruments if they are portable and have a great time!

I think it'd be nuts not to go. It'd be forever the fish that got away.

(I really hope my future husband has a four wheel drive...)

A dad wants to spend all day, every day with his family having an adventure? He has the means to fund it? I could have the car packed and everyone strapped in in an hour and a half!

If the kids had to go back to school, I'd request their work from the school, toss out any busywork, and replace the inevitable edict to write a journal with a blog. I'd suggest we spend an hour or two in a library or cafe most mornings working on maths, languages and general reading while Husband packed and sourced food. Load up with audiobooks from Librivox and audios of their languages, blog in the evenings, bring instruments if they are portable and have a great time!

I think it'd be nuts not to go. It'd be forever the fish that got away.

(I really hope my future husband has a four wheel drive...)

Agree on all counts! We have done a 3 week road trip in the middle of the school year and would have happily made it longer if my husband could have gotten more time off from work.

With the caveat that we're RV'ers and have done long road trips when both our boys were homeschooling -- I wouldn't pull kids out of public school for a few months of traveling if I were planning on putting them right back in school next year unless all of the kids were absolutely gung-ho about it. If not I think it's too disruptive to their lives and simply not fair to them.

Do YOU want to do this?

Without knowing more background, I can't encourage or discourage this. My first gut-check has NOTHING to do with school. It sounds kind of sudden. You are nervous? Listen to yourself!

You and the children do have a right to keep your life, if you want to. His excitement isn't more important than your desire for stability, no matter what your religion is. A leader is steady and puts the needs/wants of his followers equal or higher than his needs/wants.

I'm just reading a few lines of text, and don't know you or your husband or all, but all I see is warning bells here.

Thanks for all the suggestions--I am not new here--I homeschooled my kids when they were in the younger years and pulled my oldest out after the 4th grade and HS him for the past 2 years. This is his first year back in school after all that time. They are at new schools this year and going through adjustments to new friends and experiences. My oldest would come home in a heartbeat but I know he needs to be back in school this year and at the beginning of the year made it clear he should stick it out.

it's funny someone mentioned the governor's book--as my husband just finished an unsuccessful run for state legislature-and that is part of his reasoning for this trip--to get away from people that recognize him locally and memories of the event.

My second son LOVES school and would never want to be homeschooled. He has a great school and does

doesn't want to leave new friendships that he is forming. My other 2 would probably be all on board for it if I could excite them about it. I think some of my biggest concerns are them missing out on having real daily responsibilities and relationships for an extended amount of time. My main hopes for what my kids learn are to be responsible, work hard, and be able to help others. I fear an extended trip may send the wrong message in that way.

Most people would jump at the chance to do something like this, but it really sounds like it is not something that you want to do. When traveling you get a chance to meet lots of interesting and different people, school friendships can be made later, kids will still learn to be responsible and hard working if it is something that you model and encourage in them and they would likely enjoy the trip if both you and your dh were excited about it. If it isn't something that you can do with a fun attitude it will show up on the trip. Traveling is like everything else, there is good and bad and you have to decide the the good outweighs the bad for you and will you still be able to enjoy it?

My dh and I took 1 1/2 months to drive cross country from Alaska to the east coast after one of our jobs ended. We had a blast even though we camped a few nights in 30 degree temps and about froze and we had brake problems. It is a trip we will both always remember and hope to be able to do something similar with dd as she gets older.

I think some of my biggest concerns are them missing out on having real daily responsibilities and relationships for an extended amount of time. My main hopes for what my kids learn are to be responsible, work hard, and be able to help others. I fear an extended trip may send the wrong message in that way.

I don't think being away for a few months will send a signal to your kids that they are not to be responsible, work hard, and help others. There is so much to learn by traveling and seeing the world (or the country)! I have found that traveling broadens my kids and increases their maturity level. I'd get this trip in before anybody starts high school and the transcript hoopla and all that.

Best of luck on your decision, and remember that mere months will go by in the blink of an eye....there is still plenty of time for the kids to be in school.

I think this would be a valuable experience for the kids, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for some serious relationship building.

It might be very helpful for the various family relationships, especially if your DH was busy and distracted a lot by the run for state legislature.