Menu

Is anyone else annoyed by the change Netflix made?

Zebra

Not end of the world stuff, just one of those annoying little things in life!

I used to watch a show on Netflix, like say "The Office" and it would automatically go to the next episode that I hadn't watched yet. NOT ANYMORE. I find this hugely annoying. They changed it so that now when you click "play" it just plays the first episode. You have no idea what you watched or where you are. I have too much else going on to remember what episode I watched last :nopity: .

DH called them and they said it's something they are "trying, to see if people like it". He told them we didn't like it! I *think* it may not apply when you watch Netflix through a Wii or something like that. Just when you watch things on your computer. Like those of us caught in the dark ages.

Does anyone else care? Or is it just my life that has been ruined :crying: ??? It's been like groundhog day around here, I keep watching the first episode of things over and over again....

Yes, definitely call and complain if you don't like it! (And if you do like it, just pretend I didn't post this :laugh: !)

I guess I just don't understand WHY you would even want things to work this way. Don't most people start a series, and watch it here and there and have no idea where they are? Isn't it annoying to have to go find the right episode every time? That's part of what I love about Netflix streaming, you don't have to put in a DVD and wait for it, and then figure out where you were. If you watch a movie, you can stop in the middle and start right up again where you left off.

When I first got Netflix 18 mos. ago, I always had to click to play the next episode. The change to automatically going on to the next episode is really quite recent, and I hated it. I don't always want the next episode, and if I happen to be across the room when the current episode ends, I have to zoom over there to send it back to the browser. I haven't watched anything today, but if it's back to *my* normal, I'll be excited beyond belief.

Possibly I need to get out more if that excites me, lol.

this is only with certain shows I have found, they don't always do that. Dh watched Once Upon a time this morning and it goes back to the show he just watched. Deep Space nine goes to the next episode and stays there until I watch it. Other shows go to the beginning of the season, or a show I didn't finish watching. Some kids shows go to the next show, or stays where it just finished.

When I first got Netflix 18 mos. ago, I always had to click to play the next episode. The change to automatically going on to the next episode is really quite recent, and I hated it. I don't always want the next episode, and if I happen to be across the room when the current episode ends, I have to zoom over there to send it back to the browser. I haven't watched anything today, but if it's back to *my* normal, I'll be excited beyond belief.

Possibly I need to get out more if that excites me, lol.

That's not what I mean...it's still doing that "automatically going to the next episode" thing! That annoys me too, but not as much.

Let me try to explain myself better. If you are watching a show, and the last episode you watched was season 3, episode 4...when you go back to watch the next episode and push "play", it won't play season 3 episode 5, it will play season 1 episode 1. And if you watch Season 1 episode 1, and then go back to watch it again, it will still play Season 1 episode 1 AGAIN. It doesn't not keep track of the last episode you watched anymore. I want to just start where I stopped last time. To that you have to go in and pick exactly which episode you want to watch. Which is too much work for me!

I don't know if that made more sense or not.

this is only with certain shows I have found, they don't always do that. Dh watched Once Upon a time this morning and it goes back to the show he just watched. Deep Space nine goes to the next episode and stays there until I watch it. Other shows go to the beginning of the season, or a show I didn't finish watching. Some kids shows go to the next show, or stays where it just finished.

I think it's a big conspiracy to drive me crazy....

We watch on Netflix on the Wii and I haven't noticed that change. However, if I did, I would be letting them know pronto! Why on earth would they think anyone would like to watch the same show over and over. Sounds like a change they had to make internally and are trying to pass it off as progress to the customers. Nuts to them.

It's doing it on our Roku box too. I hate it. When I watch more than one episode at a time, it goes back to the one I just watched instead of moving forward. Also extremely annoying. I don't usually remember what episode number I just watched, so just press play.

Oh thank goodness. I noticed that the other night and thought I was going nuts bc it was 2am and I was all, "wha? Wait? Didn't I just watch that? Heyyyy, this is some crazy devavu going on..." Why would anyone think anyone would like that?!

We watch on Netflix on the Wii and I haven't noticed that change. However, if I did, I would be letting them know pronto! Why on earth would they think anyone would like to watch the same show over and over. Sounds like a change they had to make internally and are trying to pass it off as progress to the customers. Nuts to them.

Uh, yeah. When did this turn of events happen? Because as of last night, it knew exactly where I'd left off in Midsomer Murders and Black Books. I can't be expected to remember where I left off if the database can't. :confused1:

You can click on "recently watched" on your Netflix homepage and then click on the last show you watched from whatever series it is you want to continue watching. It will bring you to that show's page and highlight the episode (that you just watched, not the next one). So that is something, but still a pain IMHO.

When I watch Netflix on my computer it automatically plays the next episode in order (ep 4 if what just ended was ep 3) but I haven't tested it coming back to the same show days later. I know using Netflix on my Apple TV makes me kinda crazy. Some shows have three menus to get through (main list of episodes, selected episode, list of episodes AGAIN with play button to play selected episode) :crying: I wish there was a "play season" button for those of us who want it, or "play from history" to see where you left off.

You can click on "recently watched" on your Netflix homepage and then click on the last show you watched from whatever series it is you want to continue watching. It will bring you to that show's page and highlight the episode (that you just watched, not the next one). So that is something, but still a pain IMHO.

But this means I have to find a computer to go into my homepage... (Roku and Wii don't always have recently watched).

For recently watched on my Apple Tv it only lists things you've completely or partially watched on that device and only completely watched items from other devices. Frustrating if you want to switch mid program. If you search for the program again and select the episode it will give you the option to start over or continue from where you left off, but still you have to search for it again.

That's not what I mean...it's still doing that "automatically going to the next episode" thing! That annoys me too, but not as much.

Let me try to explain myself better. If you are watching a show, and the last episode you watched was season 3, episode 4...when you go back to watch the next episode and push "play", it won't play season 3 episode 5, it will play season 1 episode 1. And if you watch Season 1 episode 1, and then go back to watch it again, it will still play Season 1 episode 1 AGAIN. It doesn't not keep track of the last episode you watched anymore. I want to just start where I stopped last time. To that you have to go in and pick exactly which episode you want to watch. Which is too much work for me!

Ah. Well, that's an issue that you would want to report as a problem. I've had that happen before. It isn't a change or a new feature; it's a problem. :-)

I used to watch a show on Netflix, like say "The Office" and it would automatically go to the next episode that I hadn't watched yet. NOT ANYMORE. I find this hugely annoying. They changed it so that now when you click "play" it just plays the first episode. You have no idea what you watched or where you are. I have too much else going on to remember what episode I watched last :nopity: .

DH called them and they said it's something they are "trying, to see if people like it". He told them we didn't like it! I *think* it may not apply when you watch Netflix through a Wii or something like that. Just when you watch things on your computer. Like those of us caught in the dark ages.

Does anyone else care? Or is it just my life that has been ruined :crying: ??? It's been like groundhog day around here, I keep watching the first episode of things over and over again....

WTH? That's just stupid.

Mine doesn't do that. It holds your place.

I have noticed it too....but only with some of the shows...but like someone else said...it is better if you click on the "recently watched" picture instead.

But has also annoyed me with Netflix...is having a show just be taken off Netflix...one day is't there and the next day it's gone...and you are in the middle of a series...ANNOYING.

Seriously? To see if people liked it? I'm totally calling them to complain. I thought it was a bug with the system! Now that I know it's intentional, I'm actually really annoyed. Who would like that??? I have shows I've not watched in some time but if I go back to them, I want to know where I am. Netflix used to keep track of that for me and now they don't? What exactly is the advantage here?

I noticed this recently too and I don't like it. I hope they change it back. It's a huge pain to try to figure out which episodes we've watched and which ones we haven't.

Seriously? To see if people liked it? I'm totally calling them to complain. I thought it was a bug with the system! Now that I know it's intentional, I'm actually really annoyed. Who would like that??? I have shows I've not watched in some time but if I go back to them, I want to know where I am. Netflix used to keep track of that for me and now they don't? What exactly is the advantage here?

Yes, call and complain! When DH did it they thanked him for his feedback. So hopefully if enough people complain about it...

that doesn't even make good sense.

I really hate how search works on netflix. You can only search for keywords in titles and artist names. Not subjects, themes, country of origin, etc.. Yes you can click on the tags in each film but it's not as good.

I also hate how the search results come up as tiles, not a list. You used to be able to switch to list view that could be arranged different ways (date, alphabetical) but i don't see how to do this anymore. Am I missing something? It's like they're just dumbing and dumbing it down.

Now, when one episode ends on Netflix then it does like a 20sec countdown before it plays the next episode. I LOVE IT. :hurray:

I haven't had issues w/ it rememberin where I am in a season UNLESS I go back and rewatch an episode. Like, I started rewatching a series from Season 1, so it assumed that I was at Season 1 then I restarted Season 1 with someone else, and then I had to go find out where I left off so I could keep watching it after that. It still remembers where I play, and I haven't had any show start at season1, episode 1 for no reason.