Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 48

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go with a TBR challenge this year, an ebook challenge (they cross over nicely), and an Ancients challenge. Still working out the details, but will post once I have it sorted out. I would love to do a "friend picks" challenge.

I can recommend a couple of Turkish authors for a country challenge. CS Lewis sounds interesting, as does chunkster.

Signed,

The Newbie ;)

This past week I read a novel called Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada.

Looks interesting. Added to my wish list.

A reading challenge for me would be to start and finish one book before starting another. :D

:smilielol5:

I'm not Canadian, but both The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake were page-turners for me.

Seen the movie of the first one and loved it. Added Oryx and Crake to my wish list.

Stacia, I absolutely LOVE Richard Scarry :D.

This week...

Started Reading:

Gone Girl

Still reading:

Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose

Completed:

41. Matched

40. Days of Blood and Starlight

39. Daughter of Smoke and Bone

38. The Hole in our Holiness

37. Romeo and Juliet

36. The Night Circus

35. Alone With God

34. What Angel's Fear: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery

33. The Strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

32. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

31. Frankenstein

30. The Lotus and the Cross

29. Desiring God

28. Blood Feud: The Hatfields and the McCoys

27. Among the Gods

26. The Deadliest Monster

25. Faith of My Fathers

24. A Good American

23. They Say/I Say:The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing

22. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

21. Insurgent

20. Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints

19. The Strength of His Hands

18. The Meaning of Marriage

17. Funny in Farsi

16. The Constantine Codex

15. What the Dog Saw

14. What is the Mission of the Church?: Making Sense of Social Justice, Shalom, and the Great Commission

13. Gods and Kings

12. A Skeleton in God's Closet

11. My Hands Came Away Red

10. The Omnivore's Dilemma

9. Dead Heat

8. Redeeming Love

7. Family Driven Faith: What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God

6. Organized Simplicity

5. Year of Wonders

4. The Holiness of God

3. The Paris Wife

2. The Peach Keeper

1. Relic

A question about the TBR or dusty books challenge - What about reading groups? Would taking part in that challenge mean not reading books for your reading group? I'm thinking I would like to do a TBR/dusty books challenge except that those books would still have to be between books I read for my reading group. Or I could go buy all the upcoming books for my group so that they can gather a little dust before 2013 starts.

Chunkster challenge - There are several books I'd like to read that fall into this group: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire books (have only read the first book), and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

Right then, you convinced me. So who gets the first 300 pages? Sir Thomas More?

The first 150 pages are "The Close of the Late Middle Ages" and then it's actually seriously titled "Drab." "Drab Age Verse" is an actual title of a chapter. The last section is titled "Golden" and covers Sidney, Spenser, Donne, and etc. Now I haven't managed to read it myself--I tried and got bogged down in the late middle ages--so maybe I should read it this year...we could have an OHEL challenge!

Thanks to this, I bought Howatch's Wheel of Fortune. I'm sure I have it in paperback around here somewhere, but can't find it.

I also bought the James Herriot grouping of 3 books ... I haven't read those and keep wanting to.

I wish the Sayers books were cheaper, that's the regular price, I think.

Seriously! You are going to read the whole wheel of time series? You are one awesome and adventuresome dudette. I read the first one but never got around to reading the others. Hmm! Okay - for December I'll read the 2nd book The Great Hunt.

Are you game? Support Angel in her quest to read the series. During December read at least one book in the Wheel of Time series. And end the year with a chunkster. :hat:

Aww, Robin, you are sweet to join me!! Well, for one book at least LOL! Thanks for the support!! And, yes, I will be rereading the whole Wheel of Time series. It just feels wrong to pick up the newest book and begin reading. I like to be immersed in the story (I know, sounds silly). I think that maybe only 2 or 3 times did I not reread the whole series when a new book was published. So I have read The Great Hunt quite a few times :D. Robert Jordan got bogged down a bit in books 9 and 10 but on the whole, I love the series. I like David Eddings better as an epic fantasy writer but Jordan is a close second. I do wonder how long it will take me to finish them all :lol: There will be some incentive, though, since I've been waiting years to see how they are going to end it. And they better end it good!

I will be starting The Eye of the World after I finish All Roads Lead to Austen.

I recently finished Reached by Ally Condie. I unfortunately found it fairly boring; the plot was predictable and somewhat contrived, and the interesting ideas presented in the first book never really had their moment.

I'm working on several books right now: The Hobbit (halfways through, family read-aloud), Les Miserables ( over 500 pages into the unabridged version - that Victor Hugo sure has a lot to say!), The Silver Chair, and Augustus Caesar's World. After I'm done with these, I hope to knock out a few more partly-read books, but I doubt it will get me to 52, even though I usually get quite a bit of reading in during Christmas break.

I'm making a rule for myself for next year - before I start reading any new book, I have to finish a book I already have. This rule applies as long as there are unread books in my house, so probably all year. :p As for reading goals for next year, I want to read at least two Russian classics, and finish several ancient history books that I am partways through.

Here is this year's list so far (I've starred my favorites):

34. Reached by Ally Condie

33. Matched by Ally Condie

32. Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green

31. The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne Valente*

30. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

29. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman*

28. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O'Brien*

27. Divergent by Veronica Roth*

26. The Chosen by Chaim Potok

25. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

24. Guiding Readers and Writers, Grades 3-6 by Fountas and Pinnell*

23. Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements by Jeffrey Willhelm

22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

21. Why Don't Students Like School? by Daniel Willingham

20. Improving Comprehension With Think-Aloud Strategies by Jeffrey Willhelm

19. The First Days of School by Harry Wong

18. Mechanically Inclined by Jeff Anderson

17. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

16. Elizabeth I by Margaret George*

15. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

14. Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

13. The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pene Du Bois

12. The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff

11. Marva Collins' Way by Marva Collins

10. Rex Barks by Phyllis Davenport

9. Climbing Parnassus by Tracy Lee Simmons

8. The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

7. Homer Price by Robert McCloskey

6. Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens by Jane Dunn*

5. Her Fearful Symetry by Audrey Niffenegger

4. Crossed by Ally Condie

3. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon*

2. The Book That Made Your World by Vishal Mangalwadi

1. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

We listened to two Agatha Christie books during our long drive. We listened to And Then There Were None, and

Thirteen at Dinner.

And Then There Were None was creepy. We all loved it, except my youngest who said it wasn't good to listen to before bed (he's only 7). The second book was good, but not creepy. We enjoy listening to mysteries on our car rides. :001_smile:

We listened to two Agatha Christie books during our long drive. We listened to And Then There Were None, and

Thirteen at Dinner.

And Then There Were None was creepy. We all loved it, except my youngest who said it wasn't good to listen to before bed (he's only 7). The second book was good, but not creepy. We enjoy listening to mysteries on our car rides. :001_smile:

I love And Then There Were None!! My older dd read it last year and loved it, too. I hadn't considered reading these out loud to my younger dd. That may be our next read aloud after The Hobbit!

I would love to do a "friend picks" challenge. I can recommend a couple of Turkish authors for a country challenge.

I would love the "friend pick" challenge too. Am I remembering correctly that you've mentioned Orhan Pamuk previously? (I read "My Name is Red" a couple of years ago.) Were you talking about "Snow"?

Stacia, I absolutely LOVE Richard Scarry.

Another Richard Scarry fan! Thanks for the image--it gave me the seasonal nudge I needed.

One can never go wrong with Richard Scarry. He is absolutely my favorite children's author.

Working my way through the Numa Files and the Anna Strong series. On book 6 and book 3 respectively.

Lizzie, I've been thinking of you a lot lately. How is your husband holding up? You & your dc? Sending you peace, healing, and hugs. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/grouphug.gif

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

That's one I've been meaning to read for years too!

Also, as far as the TBR pile, I'd still have to include getting my book club books during the middle of it (if I do it) because I never know what we will read ahead of time.

Ooooh, I want to read this one too! It has been on my shelves forever, so it can count toward TBR and chunkster. Two birds, one stone http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/thumbup.gif

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Go up to the top of the thread and across from the title is Follow this Topic. Click on it and it will give you the option to have instant notification, daily or weekly (I think) Then you should be able to find in your content under your profile.

Thanks!

Working my way through the Numa Files and the Anna Strong series. On book 6 and book 3 respectively.

I've read a few Numa Files.

Hey, Book-A-Weekers, don't forget to check Amazon's cyber monday e-book specials! I have just started going through their list and there are hundreds of goodies. I've seen Susan Howatch, Anne Perry, and Dorothy Sayers already (all of whom have been mentioned on BaW threads recently). If you don't have a Kindle (I don't but it is on my Christmas wish list), you can still buy the books and read them on a Kindle app. The Amazon choices should make Barnes & Noble ashamed of themselves; there's never anything good for Nook :glare:

Thanks for this. I'll check. Any good kid books?

I have a Nook and Kindle. I find myself using the Kindle far more. I still like the interface on the Nook better but the prices on Amazon are better. Plus, the site is easier to navigate.

I'm in for the Dusty Book Challenge and the TBR challenge. My TBR list is long and I have books on my shelves that are begging to be read.

Is Chunkster a long book or book series challenge?

The Republic, by Plato -- Plato was a dummy. That's what I say.

:rofl: I didn't use that phrase, but that's what I thought. I finally quit reading it a few years ago because as much as I really enjoyed how he wrote & how those 2 characters were setting up the one they were arguing with, I was fed up with all of Plato's assumptions :).

I'm not Canadian, but both The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx and Crake were page-turners for me.

The Handmaid's Tale is the one Atwood book I have ever liked. I haven't read the other one because for the most part I don't like her style at all and there are plenty of other Canadian literary authors :). I had to read The Edible Woman and Two-Headed Poems for classes in university and have read at least one other of her novels when an American friend of mine sent it to me when he discovered her while at Princeton (him, not me--I went to a Canadian university) and loved her writing.

I love this idea! I've read some Atwood (book club) but I can't think of any other Canadian authors I know. I'm in for this one for 2013.

Sounds like an excellent idea. I have several sitting on my shelves still. Also here's a link to Canadian books and authors so folks can get an idea of what and who is out there.

This is a great link. Here's another link to a thread I started a few years ago about studying Canadian literature that also has some authors listed with titles. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/24425-canadians-et-al-canadian-lit-studies/

A question about the TBR or dusty books challenge - What about reading groups? Would taking part in that challenge mean not reading books for your reading group? I'm thinking I would like to do a TBR/dusty books challenge except that those books would still have to be between books I read for my reading group. Or I could go buy all the upcoming books for my group so that they can gather a little dust before 2013 starts.

I'm not in any other reading groups anymore (I was in a few social reading groups before I joined this one), but some of these new challenges only involve one book or a few, so you could do them in between I would think.

Les Miserables ( over 500 pages into the unabridged version - that Victor Hugo sure has a lot to say!),

I'm making a rule for myself for next year - before I start reading any new book, I have to finish a book I already have. This rule applies as long as there are unread books in my house, so probably all year. :p As for reading goals for next year, I want to read at least two Russian classics, and finish several ancient history books that I am partways through.

Wow, you're brave to read Les Miserable unabridged. I've never tried that because I found the abridged one wordy already and I don't think I could read all those pages on the sewers of Paris.

Wow, you're brave to read Les Miserable unabridged. I've never tried that because I found the abridged one wordy already and I don't think I could read all those pages on the sewers of Paris.

I'm a little worried about the sewers. So far (in preparation? ha) I've waded through 60 pages on Waterloo and another 40 or so on the history of a Parisian order of nuns. I should have familiarized myself a bit more with the politics of the French Revolution before I started - a lot of it is going over my head. But I'm enjoying learning more about the backgrounds of the characters, especially the bishop.

I would love the "friend pick" challenge too. Am I remembering correctly that you've mentioned Orhan Pamuk previously? (I read "My Name is Red" a couple of years ago.) Were you talking about "Snow"?

One can never go wrong with Richard Scarry. He is absolutely my favorite children's author.

Yes, Orhan Pamuk. Though I have to admit he's driven me crazy of late. DH says it's because I'm not Turkish and don't truly understand the mindset from which he writes. Maybe so, but I really did just want to slap most of the main characters in "The Museum Of Innocence" more than once. I'm going to give him another chance with either "The Black Book" or "Istanbul". I haven't read "Snow" though it is generally recommended as a good "gateway book" for him.

The other author I want to read that DH recommends to Westerners is YaĂ…Å¸ar Kemal. "Mehmet, My Hawk" is one of his books. Mr. Kemal is of Kurdish origins which brings a different flavor to his writing. It was always assumed in Turkey the HE would be the Nobel Laureate, not Pamuk.

On a lighter note, I just adore Richard Scarry. Lowly Worm was an imaginary friend in our house growing up.

Chunkster challenge - There are several books I'd like to read that fall into this group: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, the rest of the Song of Ice and Fire books (have only read the first book), and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.

Let's just make reading groups an exception so you or others don't have to go out and buy them before the end of the year. Plenty of allowances for stumbling upon a group read of a book have been wanting to read but just haven't gotten around to it.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is another one I've been meaning to get to.....

Is Chunkster a long book or book series challenge?

Chunkster is a long book usually 500 pages or more. Some say it's a 1000 or more, like my hubby who likes to torture, err gift me with really really long books. So we'll have to decide on our definition of a chunkster - I'm leaning toward 500 ish.

Chunkster is a long book usually 500 pages or more. Some say it's a 1000 or more, like my hubby who likes to torture, err gift me with really really long books. So we'll have to decide on our definition of a chunkster - I'm leaning toward 500 ish.

I'm adding Wheel of Time to my Kindle right now and it looks like it clocks in at 814 pages. I vote we call 500+ a chunkster.

All this talk of Richard Scarry is making me add him to my to-read list. The only book I've ever read (read aloud) of his was the manners book and that was the night my grandmother had her heart attack while DD and I were spending the night at her house. We had the book in the car so we read it in the ER while we were waiting for news on my grandmother. After that I never had much interest in his books. I probably should try again.

All of my girls learned to read with Richard Scarry's help. A few years ago I found cheap a trilingual Best Word Book Ever ( aka Mein allerschĂƒÂ¶nstes WĂƒÂ¶rterbuch (with a little German intro by Scarry himself, who spoke German)), and it's been a popular supplement to language studies. Even Wee Girl can say "Il ne mange pas le grille-pain!"

All this talk of Richard Scarry is making me add him to my to-read list. The only book I've ever read (read aloud) of his was the manners book and that was the night my grandmother had her heart attack while DD and I were spending the night at her house. We had the book in the car so we read it in the ER while we were waiting for news on my grandmother. After that I never had much interest in his books. I probably should try again.

Richard Scarry is wonderful for the preschool/early elementary age because of the highly detailed illustrations in many of his books. There is much discussion to be had of what Lowly Worm is doing or what is happening in the background of the pictures. I must confess that every time we eat couscous someone says "Couscous the Algerian Detective!" I think that it is from the Scarry collection The Best Storybook Ever.I read every story in that book aloud multiple times. Wonderful memories.....

My 2013 challenge (good grief -- 2013 -- can that be right?) is going to be keeping up with these threads every week!! I have one comment, though. When y'all are multi quoting and just quoting, could you type in the book title about which the quote refers? I'm seeing lots of "ooh yes I read that and loved it" but can't know what title is being talked about, especially since we all tend to write about multiple books each week.

Anyhoo. I am also currently reading Bright Lights, No City, and am excited to find another interesting book on Africa. Not far enough into it yet to have much to say!

I am also almost done listening to The Two Towers, and have to say that Faramir is an awesome character! I also am appreciating the books on a different level now that I'm listening to them, because as an impatient reader I usually skipped the songs and long descriptive paragraphs or the long speeches. I really missed so much by doing that.

I didn't list another book that I had completed, a fun mystery by Charlotte and Aaron Elkins called A Dangerous Talent. It is set in New Mexico, my where I grew up, and is about art fraud and art detectives, and of course has a murder mystery to boot. Good page turner, and apparently the first of a new series featuring Alix London.

I wonder if anyone has favorite Christmas or holiday reads? Mine include Sayers' The Nine Tailors, a collection of Miss Read novellas, Christmas at Fairacre, and because I love the Discworld series, Hogfather. What do y'all like to turn to in December to escape the holiday frenzy?

I wonder if anyone has favorite Christmas or holiday reads? Mine include Sayers' The Nine Tailors, a collection of Miss Read novellas, Christmas at Fairacre, and because I love the Discworld series, Hogfather. What do y'all like to turn to in December to escape the holiday frenzy?

The Miss Read books you mention rank highly with me!

I put Susan Howatch aside because of a seven day-er that I picked up at the library, Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith, the author of Pride, Prejudice and Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. This is his wacko version of the three wise men which has received some favorable reviews. I'll let you know more later.

Yes, Orhan Pamuk. Though I have to admit he's driven me crazy of late. DH says it's because I'm not Turkish and don't truly understand the mindset from which he writes. Maybe so, but I really did just want to slap most of the main characters in "The Museum Of Innocence" more than once. I'm going to give him another chance with either "The Black Book" or "Istanbul". I haven't read "Snow" though it is generally recommended as a good "gateway book" for him. The other author I want to read that DH recommends to Westerners is YaĂ…Å¸ar Kemal. "Mehmet, My Hawk" is one of his books. Mr. Kemal is of Kurdish origins which brings a different flavor to his writing. It was always assumed in Turkey the HE would be the Nobel Laureate, not Pamuk. On a lighter note, I just adore Richard Scarry. Lowly Worm was an imaginary friend in our house growing up.

When I read "My Name is Red", I really enjoyed it, but felt like I was probably missing a lot of cultural references because I'm not Turkish. I will have to look for something by YaĂ…Å¸ar Kemal.

So glad to see all the Richard Scarry fans on here!

So we'll have to decide on our definition of a chunkster - I'm leaning toward 500 ish.

500ish sounds good to me.

My 2013 challenge (good grief -- 2013 -- can that be right?) is going to be keeping up with these threads every week!! I have one comment, though. When y'all are multi quoting and just quoting, could you type in the book title about which the quote refers? I'm seeing lots of "ooh yes I read that and loved it" but can't know what title is being talked about, especially since we all tend to write about multiple books each week.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/hurray.gif about seeing you on here all of next year. And, good point about repeating titles/authors to help clarify.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/laugh.gif about Hogfather. I love that book. I also love the short story A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote. Don't know that I know of other 'holiday' specific reads, other than watching the movies Elf and Die Hard. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/lol.gif]

(Speaking of things like holidays, does anyone do &/or go see any SantaCon events? Some of them are adult only, but many do daytime gatherings that are fun w/ kids too -- just even to go see if you're in the area of one. I've been to Santarchy in Washington D.C. for the past few years, but won't be there this year. I've only done the daytime stuff, not the evening bar hopping, etc....)

Oh, I just thought of another holiday read: Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris. I haven't read it yet, but thought of it because dh & I kicked off the holidays last weekend by going to see a local production of the SantaLand Diaries, based on Sedaris' foray into the world of being a Macy's elf in NYC. Very funny. Off to go request this book from the library....

Ha! Finally figured out how to cut and paste a picture. Took me long enough. Just had to share! Happy reading today!

Cool pic, Robin! Love it!

Richard Scarry is wonderful for the preschool/early elementary age because of the highly detailed illustrations in many of his books. There is much discussion to be had of what Lowly Worm is doing or what is happening in the background of the pictures. I must confess that every time we eat couscous someone says "Couscous the Algerian Detective!" I think that it is from the Scarry collection The Best Storybook Ever.I read every story in that book aloud multiple times. Wonderful memories.....

My kids' favorite story from that collection is Ernst the Swiss Mountain Climber, who keeps getting taxed with the job of bringing Heidi's slope-challenged cow back down the mountain. When small people around here ask for help with the same thing they've needed help with a dozen times, they're often answered with, "This is the last time I will bring your cow down from that mountain!" (Which of course means, I'll help you as long as you need.)

They also appreciate Hans the Dutch Plumber, who stuffs a fat Texan tourist into the hole in the dike.

Hey gang! Just a heads up that Sunday is moving day and I'll be moving the thread over to the Chat board. A nice new warm cozy spot to discuss our books. Hmm! Where shall we place the sofa and the cushy chairs? And of course, we need the requisite fur baby.

480366_10151288042456492_1955963703_n.jpg

When I read "My Name is Red", I really enjoyed it, but felt like I was probably missing a lot of cultural references because I'm not Turkish. I will have to look for something by YaĂ…Å¸ar Kemal.

500ish sounds good to me.

:hurray: about seeing you on here all of next year. And, good point about repeating titles/authors to help clarify.

Cool pic, Robin! Love it!

The Turkish mindset truly is different. It's not completely Western, it's not Middle Eastern, it's not Eastern. After 6 years married to one and living here for quite a while I still learn something new every day. They truly are a people suspended between East and West, and they are quite comfortable with that position. They remember their past as the Ottomans well. They're amazing.

I also vote for 500-ish for the Chunksters.

I will also try to quote names and titles too.

Hey gang! Just a heads up that Sunday is moving day and I'll be moving the thread over to the Chat board. A nice new warm cozy spot to discuss our books. Hmm! Where shall we place the sofa and the cushy chairs? And of course, we need the requisite fur baby.

480366_10151288042456492_1955963703_n.jpg

Can I call dibs on snuggling that adorable darling?!

wow, this is the coolest thread! I am now going to have to look for your threads from previous weeks to get ideas. Will you continue on next year and start a new book-a-week tradition? I would love to join!

We're not going anywhere ... well anywhere besides the new "Chat" board. 2013 will be more book a week!