Menu

I don't like smoothies

I'm still having issues with finding healthy whole food breakfasts. Most of the time it is just dd and me for breakfast. She is content with frozen waffles. I don't mind them either, but every day is a bit much. They are not helping our weight loss efforts.

But the alternative I see in every book and website is green smoothies, or smoothies without greens. I don't like smoothies. I really and truly don't like them except as a treat in the summer after a long hot day. Nor do I like sweet in the mornings. The thought of that much sugar on an empty stomach makes me want to hurl.

Where I live it is cold in the mornings 360 days of the year. I really want warm and savory for breakfast. But I'm at a loss as to what that looks like other than some type of egg breakfast or toast with butter or biscuits or the occasional waffle with lemon curd.

Does anyone have any ideas for quick, healthy, whole-food, plant based breakfasts that don't involve smoothies?

My usual breakfast is plain Greek yogurt with blueberries and pecans; I also add some stevia, but if you don't mind plain yogurt you could skip that. It's not warm, though...

My dh has oatmeal every morning - for one person, it's easy to make in a few minutes in the microwave. I buy whole rolled oats (not quick) from the bulk bin, so it's also inexpensive. The non-quick oats take only a couple more minutes to zap (or cook on cooktop - whole oats cook in only 5 minutes; I've often wondered how rushed our culture must be that we need quicker oats than that...) and they're much more slowly absorbed so you don't get as much of an insulin spike (if that's even a worry for you). You can then add dried fruit, or nuts, sweetener of some kind if you want, and milk or yogurt (I had oatmeal with Greek yogurt mixed in once - that was heavenly!) That breakfast is both warm and savory.

My favorite cold weather breakfasts are tofu scramble/burrito and what we call "Dad's mess." For the "mess" we just cut up some potatoes and fry them up with some EVOO, onion and garlic and then season however we feel like it. My DH likes to use paprika and additional garlic and onion powder. We mix in some tofu with it and on a rare occasion we add faux sausage or tempeh bacon. You can add beans and veggies to both dishes depending on what taste you're going for and both can be made the night before so you're not taking forever making breakfast in the morning. :)

In Israel they eat salads. In Egypt it's ful. If you just change your mindset, you can have a bowl of steaming veggie soup in the morning. Or maybe some roasted veggies? My DH doesn't put sugar in his oatmeal or cream of wheat. ATS take about 20 minutes to cook, but if you do them in the crockpot, and make enough to last a few days, it's more convenient.

What DO you like? You could invent something? Maybe latkes with potatoes or zucchini and any other veggies you want to include.

Guest russman

Veggie breakfast burritos are versatile and filling.

Muffins with fruit butter

Zucchini pancakes or waffles

Pannekoeken is favorite at my house

Hot cereal with maple syrup

Huevos Rancheros

Veggie hash w/potato or sweet potato

Guest submarines

Have you tried making them yourself? Experimenting with recipes? When you describe those sweet smoothies that are full of sugar, they don't sound at all like the yummy smothies I make at home :tongue_smilie: . You can also make super thick smoothies that taste like soft fruit ice cream.

My favorite warm low carb breakfasts are omelettes or almond flour pancakes. I also add Greek yogurt to everything!

Cool. I figured out the multiquote.

My favorite cold weather breakfasts are tofu scramble/burrito and what we call "Dad's mess." For the "mess" we just cut up some potatoes and fry them up with some EVOO, onion and garlic and then season however we feel like it. My DH likes to use paprika and additional garlic and onion powder. We mix in some tofu with it and on a rare occasion we add faux sausage or tempeh bacon. You can add beans and veggies to both dishes depending on what taste you're going for and both can be made the night before so you're not taking forever making breakfast in the morning. :)

I eat soup often for breakfast. Especially when it's cold.

In Israel they eat salads. In Egypt it's ful. If you just change your mindset, you can have a bowl of steaming veggie soup in the morning. Or maybe some roasted veggies? My DH doesn't put sugar in his oatmeal or cream of wheat. ATS take about 20 minutes to cook, but if you do them in the crockpot, and make enough to last a few days, it's more convenient.

What DO you like? You could invent something? Maybe latkes with potatoes or zucchini and any other veggies you want to include.

These are what I'm thinking is going to have to happen. A change of mindset and simply more veggies. On days I run in the morning I can add grains like toast or oatmeal.

I don't like smoothies either. I also believe that they are not really that good for you. If you are going to eat some fruit and veggies, you eat way less of them when they are in their natural raw state. Too much fruit or veggies in one go can be very hard on the kidneys.

I have either raisin bread (homemade) or a piece of fruit for breakfast.

Have you considered some almond flour baking? we LOOOOVE the recipes at elanaspantry.com. The breakfast bars were DELICIOUS and the paleo pumpkin bread is to die for. I bought one of her books and have made her crackers. The sesame ones are my favorite. I think subbing some almond flour for other carbs would help with weightloss efforts and the extra protein would be good.

almond flour is EXPENSIVE so I bought 25# at Honeville Farms for FAR cheaper per lb. We have been loving the new recipes with it. You also eat less because almond flour has more fat, is more satisfying, and carries you longer.

Do you like refried beans? I simmer onion, throw in the beans (canned but want to try to make my own) add cumin, then serve topped with chopped onion, tomatoe, black olives. SOOOO yummy. We also stirfry veggies and serve with or without eggs. I stirfry curried veggies and mashed tofu. YUM! Breakfast pizza (almnd flour crust) or breakfast burrito. I LOOVE a southwestern style veggie stirfry in the morning with red pepper, LOTS of onion, corn. If we am really hungru I will served with fried potato. Rice pudding with stevia or very little sweetener. We LOVE pumpkin rice pudding. I bought many extra roasting pumpkins this year, ooked, and bagged in individual bags. If you like pumpkin, now is the time to buy them for cheap!

I was doing smoothies but like you, I was missing a warm, savory breakfast. Last week we switched to green smoothies in the afternoon. We definitely get more veggies in by making smoothies and they have done AMAZING things for dd's herxing. :)

I don't like smoothies either. I also believe that they are not really that good for you. If you are going to eat some fruit and veggies, you eat way less of them when they are in their natural raw state. Too much fruit or veggies in one go can be very hard on the kidneys.

I've honestly never in my life heard of this. Too much potassium, yes, can be bad for your kidneys, but most Americans don't get enough potassium in their diets and really only people with already damaged kidneys are told to watch their potassium intake. Meat and dairy are actually the worst foods for your kidneys. I'd love some information on why smoothies would be bad for you as every health professional I know recommends them. :)

I've honestly never in my life heard of this. Too much potassium, yes, can be bad for your kidneys, but most Americans don't get enough potassium in their diets and really only people with already damaged kidneys are told to watch their potassium intake. Meat and dairy are actually the worst foods for your kidneys. I'd love some information on why smoothies would be bad for you as every health professional I know recommends them. :)

What I am trying to say (but as usual worded it very poorly) is that having fruit and veggies all vitamised, with some of the fiber removed is not so great for your body all in one go. I am not saying that smoothies are bad for you.

Drinking too much fruit juice is hard on your kidneys, especially apple juice.

I still haven't found any info on this. And from what I've read, apple juice is a good cleanser for your kidneys so it's often recommended when you're trying to repair your kidneys.

What I am trying to say (but as usual worded it very poorly) is that having fruit and veggies all vitamised, with some of the fiber removed is not so great for your body all in one go. I am not saying that smoothies are bad for you.

Drinking too much fruit juice is hard on your kidneys, especially apple juice.