Menu

How to start a blog? And is it helpful?

1. Decide whether you want to do Blogger or Wordpress. Think of a name and register.

2. Now you have a blog! Figure out a design. It's not hard, or get a friend to help.

3. Start writing stuff.

I have a book blog (in my sig) which I really enjoy because I can talk to lots of other booklovers. I consider it personal hobby time and don't do it during the school day.

I blog, but not about homeschooling. It's my way of reaffirming that I'm still something other than mom/teacher/den leader. Mostly it's random thoughts, though half about family as well so that our extended family can see how the boys are.

It's easy to start one with blogger or wordpress or the like. They walk you through the process and it's pretty user friendly.

I blog, but not about homeschooling. It's my way of reaffirming that I'm still something other than mom/teacher/den leader. Mostly it's random thoughts, though half about family as well so that our extended family can see how the boys are.

It's easy to start one with blogger or wordpress or the like. They walk you through the process and it's pretty user friendly.

1. Decide whether you want to do Blogger or Wordpress. Think of a name and register.

2. Now you have a blog! Figure out a design. It's not hard, or get a friend to help.

3. Start writing stuff.

I have a book blog (in my sig) which I really enjoy because I can talk to lots of other booklovers. I consider it personal hobby time and don't do it during the school day.

How do I decide between Blogger or Wordpress? Are they both free?

You guys are my "friends to help."

:thumbup1:

For me it is beneficial as a journal of our hs activities. I have a separate, more personal blog where I post the stuff that is unrelated or might embarass the kids. It's private and can't be googled even if you know the name of it. I use blogger, but only because that was where I started my first one years ago. It's all very easy, just use a preset design template to begin with. I use Windows Live Writer (a free download) to create my blog posts, but you don't need that to begin with.

My kids have a blog as our relatives are in different parts of Asia and Australia. Their blog is mainly photos and videos of funny things they did. I update their blog whenever I am free. So on a busy or tiring month, I might end up updating their blog once a month. However my in-laws find it convenient to show relatives and friends their blog as its like an online photo album

My kids have a blog as our relatives are in different parts of Asia and Australia. Their blog is mainly photos and videos of funny things they did. I update their blog whenever I am free. So on a busy or tiring month, I might end up updating their blog once a month. However my in-laws find it convenient to show relatives and friends their blog as its like an online photo album

Yes, this is along the same lines as what I was thinking. We live in Africa, and the rest of the family is in the States, so I wanted to show family and friends a little of our lives as missionaries here. I also thought that blogging about homeschooling might help keep me accountable as we begin our homeschooling journey. I would also like to become a better writer. Do you have to stick to just one topic (like homeschooling) when you blog, or can you have all sorts of topics in one blog?

Do you think you'll ever want to monetize or have a biz aspect to your blog? If so, I'd suggest Wordpress.

Blogging is super easy. How time consuming it is depends on you. If it detracts from homschooling depends on you. For me, I think it adds to homeschooling- I do a weekly report regularly (there's an awesome weekly thread on the K-8th bd) and it keeps me focused and helps me see what we've accomplished. Also, for us, it is a journal of what we've done. Our house fire toasted our scrapbooks and the blog is what I've done instead. My kids love reading throug it, remembering what we've done, have ideds for posts, have guest posted, and my older kids have started blogs themselves.

Mine is more of a variety blog that includes the 52 book/yr challenge, homeschooling, our house re-build, projects, thoughts on faith and parenting, curriculum nad books reviews, give-aways, etc. (a big "no-no" in the blog world) but having more than one blog would be too much for me regarding time.

I've made some great friends through blogging (Hi, Kristen!), have been offered some great writing/ opportunities becasue of my blog.

Also, one of my goals for blogging was to share MY opinions and values with family members that were always in my face with THeiR politics, THEIR religious beliefs, THEIR thoughts on education/ homescholing (negative) and I am VERY opinionated on my blog (don't laugh, Caitilin!). These folks are some of my most faithful readers. They are much less antagonistic/mean-spirited towards me re: our differences, mainly, I think, because they can "see" how we live and why.

For me, 2 thumbs up on blogging!

Do you have to stick to just one topic (like homeschooling) when you blog, or can you have all sorts of topics in one blog?

Some blogs will focus only on food, sewing, sports, etc. but my favorite blogs to read are the ones that discuss everything.

For those of you who blog, do you find it beneficial? Does it take too much time away from your efforts to homeschool?

I blog to try to capture our lives so our distant families (mostly my Mom) can read about it. I use the "Schedule" feature on blogger a lot. While watching TV with my children at night, I'll write post and schedule them to post later in the week. I like to write sometimes a week's worth of posts at a time when I can.

Do you have to stick to just one topic (like homeschooling) when you blog, or can you have all sorts of topics in one blog?

Some blogs will focus only on food, sewing, sports, etc. but my favorite blogs to read are the ones that discuss everything.

For those of you who blog, do you find it beneficial? Does it take too much time away from your efforts to homeschool?

I blog to try to capture our lives so our distant families (mostly my Mom) can read about it. I use the "Schedule" feature on blogger a lot. While watching TV with my children at night, I'll write post and schedule them to post later in the week. I like to write sometimes a week's worth of posts at a time when I can.

Oooo! I was just going to write a blog post about blogging! I'll practice here.

1st--what's the point of your blog? Mine is to take a picture every day for a year and then write about that picture. But, here's the catch--I write humor, so it has to be funny. That's my shtick.

2. It takes up a lot of my time. But that's because I have a bulldog personality and if I start something I will complete it. Yesterday's post was #330 for this year. But, you might not post every day, like me. Or you might not insist that it be funny, like me. If I didn't have my constraints (writing every day, has to be funny) I wouldn't post as much, and I wouldn't work so hard on my posts, and I'd be done lots faster.

It doesn't take up Homeschool time. It takes up my evening time. Darling Husband is counting down the days until this year is over so he can get me back in the evenings.

C. Just because you spent the time to write something, doesn't mean you have to post it. It's tempting to think, "But I wrote all this stuff and I don't want to erase all my work!" Nah. Just erase it and start over, or post something small or don't post at all. Don't waste your readers' time, or you'll lose your readers.

4th. It's ok to write about your life, but think of the most intimidating person in your life (your father-in-law? Your priest?) and imagine that they read your blog. Make sure that you would be able to look those people in the eye after you post your blog. I allow people to look into my life in my blog, but I make sure I don't cross any lines that would embarrass myself if I had to look my FIL in the eye after posting it. Over the 330 that I've written, there have been about 3 that I'm a little embarrassed about.

5. Don't use the blog as a vent. No one else wants to read that.

F. Write what you would like to read. I'll start writing and realize, "If this was someone else's blog, I wouldn't bother reading it." And then I switch things up and add stuff that would catch my own eye if it were in someone else's blog.

7th. Be very careful when writing about other people. Since I write a humorous blog, my friends know that if they make an appearance in the blog, there will be humor involved. Some people are ok with gentle teasing and some people are NOT. I know my friends and so far, I have not hurt their feelings in the blog. When you write about someone else, write respectfully about them.

8. Just like here at the WTM forums, not everyone will agree with what you write. It's your blog and you can say what you like, but don't forget rule 4th--you've got to look the people that you know in the eye.

9. If you don't like writing, you probably won't keep up the blog. Feel free to start, but don't feel bad if you stop. I've started a billion different hobbies that I thought I'd love, only to realize, I don't. Only do this if you enjoy it. For me, it's been the best thing that's happened to me since my kids were born. It clears my head and keeps me connected to my friends.

Link to my blog; Dustylizard.wordpress.com

And here's one I wrote about homeschooling that was fun: Slobfests, Meteors, Dragon's Eggs and Surly Hair.

Where does one find this schedule feature of which you speak?

Ugh. I've lost the edit button and keep quoting myself.

Anyway. I went with blogger since I didn't want to download anything to get wordpress running. If I knew at the time that Google owns blogger I would have gone with wordpress. I can't transfer the blog without losing my current skin/format, and it took a week to get it that way so I'm stuck for the time being.

I'm also on Blogger. It's easy to use, but yeah, Google owns it. I think Wordpress is only slightly more complex and it has some great features. I have a hard time with the login protocol for some reason, though.

Common wisdom says to focus your blog on a topic, but the topic can be your life. If you're planning to try to get a big following and stuff, you'd do it a bit differently, but it sounds like you just want to tell your friends and family about your life, so you can keep it simple and it will be great. :)

I love blogging. I have always liked journal-ing and writing though so blogging seemed a natural progression. I did some preliminary research and eventually opted to go with Wordpress. I love it and don't have any complaints.

Yes, I've read yours! Thanks for your input. :)

Thanks! I didn't know you could do that. That schedule feature sounds helpful!

C. Just because you spent the time to write something, doesn't mean you have to post it. It's tempting to think, "But I wrote all this stuff and I don't want to erase all my work!" Nah. Just erase it and start over, or post something small or don't post at all. Don't waste your readers' time, or you'll lose your readers.

4th. It's ok to write about your life, but think of the most intimidating person in your life (your father-in-law? Your priest?) and imagine that they read your blog. Make sure that you would be able to look those people in the eye after you post your blog. I allow people to look into my life in my blog, but I make sure I don't cross any lines that would embarrass myself if I had to look my FIL in the eye after posting it. Over the 330 that I've written, there have been about 3 that I'm a little embarrassed about.

5. Don't use the blog as a vent. No one else wants to read that.

F. Write what you would like to read. I'll start writing and realize, "If this was someone else's blog, I wouldn't bother reading it." And then I switch things up and add stuff that would catch my own eye if it were in someone else's blog.

7th. Be very careful when writing about other people. Since I write a humorous blog, my friends know that if they make an appearance in the blog, there will be humor involved. Some people are ok with gentle teasing and some people are NOT. I know my friends and so far, I have not hurt their feelings in the blog. When you write about someone else, write respectfully about them.

8. Just like here at the WTM forums, not everyone will agree with what you write. It's your blog and you can say what you like, but don't forget rule 4th--you've got to look the people that you know in the eye.

GREAT tips.

Okay, yet another question: why all the pseudonymns for children I see on homeschooling blogs? Is it for the children's privacy, or trying not to embarrass them? Part of me is attracted to it, and part of me is annoyed by it; in one sense for the homeschooling community--like here, where you don't know everyone very well--I'd want pseudonyms, but if I especially want the blog for family and friends, I don't think they're going to understand why I'm making up other names. If you've chosen the pseudonym route, could you please explain the thought process behind that? Does your family find it weird?

Where does one find this schedule feature of which you speak?

In Blogger, when I open a post to start writing, there is an area to the right called "Post Settings" that lets me put in the Labels (homeschooling, water polo, food, etc.) and the "Schedule" is just under that.

I am working on my 3rd time to post 365 days in a row. Since I write my posts at night while everyone is sitting around watching TV, I don't think it takes away from family time since I am "with" them, just not really watching TV.

I used to think a blog would be helpful as an online homeschooling journal, but then I discovered Evernote. I love Evernote for online homeschool journaling! Blogging to me is great if you are interested in sharing research, info, homeschooling experiences, with the public (though you can certainly keep it private).

I use Wordpress (link in my siggy) because it appears more professional, and I'd like to hopefully make a little extra cash here and there eventually. If you want to make money with a blog, it is good to have at least a major theme, so people know what they are getting when they come to your blog. If you just do it for your own ramblings, and maybe you moved far from family so you're trying to keep in tough, then it doesn't matter as much. I've seen some blogs where it appears people are simply venting about their lives every couple days/weeks/months.

I typically write posts for my blog early in the day, before DD1 even wakes up. DD2 is usually eating breakfast or watching a little TV, so I have some time to gear up for the day, and get some words out on virtual paper. I like it, but the desire to make a little extra cash does give me a little pressure, and then disappointment if my hits are going down. That's not too fun. I think my blog is a bit too much of a niche though.... dunno. If the blog was busier, I could see it cutting into the homeschool day more, but that's a long ways off, so I don't see that being a problem.

Wordpress I think you also get more people running across your blog because of their Reader. Blogger doesn't really have a good way to search the blogs that are hosted there (maybe I'm wrong, but I've never seen it).

HTH!

Okay, yet another question: why all the pseudonymns for children I see on homeschooling blogs? Is it for the children's privacy, or trying not to embarrass them? Part of me is attracted to it, and part of me is annoyed by it; in one sense for the homeschooling community--like here, where you don't know everyone very well--I'd want pseudonyms, but if I especially want the blog for family and friends, I don't think they're going to understand why I'm making up other names. If you've chosen the pseudonym route, could you please explain the thought process behind that? Does your family find it weird?

I use pseudonymns, but that's because I want my blog open to a wide audience. I do have a few pictures of the kids, but I try to have most of them from a profile view (from the side), from behind (focusing on the activity), or far away. I don't think the blog is putting my family in any danger, but I don't want to over expose us either.

Mine are for my dc's privacy, mainly because of my dh's profession- though I'm pretty sure any privacy I thought I was assuring is shot at this point. My kids LOVE their psuedonames and grandparents actually call some of my kids by them.

I've been blogging with Blogger for several years now. For me it is pretty much an online scrapbook of our homeschooling. I design some of our own studies and put them on there and list resources as well hoping that it will save a reader some time if they are looking for the same thing. I haven't blogged so much this past year. My part-time job has been a time hog. I take pictures of things I want to blog about so I won't forget later on.

I call the kids Boy10 and Boy7. That way, when I write about them, you know whether it's a boy or a girl, and how old they are. When I read other people's blogs and they use other names, I'm scrambling to remember "Is that the 17 year old?" "Is that the girl or the boy?"

We have friends who refer to my kids IRL as Boy10 and Boy7. The kids think it's funny. And someone that doesn't know my husband bumped into him the other day, recognized him from the blog and said, "Hey look! It's Darling Husband!" (I call my DH by the full name of Darling Husband.) We think it's all very funny.

I also have a blog. You’ve gotten lots of good tips. One thing I’d add is to really think about why YOU want to do it, not why other people do it. Blogging is very different if you are trying to make money or get a following or you just want a place to share stuff mostly with your friends.

For me it’s mostly that I enjoy writing and it’s a good outlet for that. It started as a sort of everything blog and has become mostly a book blog with occasional homeschooling and other stuff. I have found that I really enjoy the book blogging the most.

I have found that at times it interferes with homeschooling. There have been times where I found myself trying to do an activity or stopping to take photos so that I could later write about it. For me that became distracting. That’s just me, I think many others are able to blog about homeschooling without becoming self-conscious about it. I’ve backed off a bit on homeschooling related posts for that reason.

I chose pseudonyms for the privacy. I felt like I’m writing about my kids by my choice not theirs. I’m very careful about what I share about them anyway. I don’t share anything negative or that I think would embarrass them. But I’m sensitive to the idea that they may one day not really want the story that I thought was so cute when they were five out there on the Internet. It’s still a public blog so I’m not naive enough to believe it’s truly private but I feel like the pseudonym gives them a bit more privacy. My family and friends don’t think it’s weird. They know why I made that choice. I personally chose names that could be real names and that are somehow related to their real name or have some personal meaning to us but that just aren’t their real name (so on the blog they are John, David and Ruth none of which are their real names). That for me was easier to write and easier to read than to use cute nicknames.

ETA: I chose Wordpress. I was a complete newbie when I started and not particularly computer savvy. I still don’t really know much about things like design or layout or anything about code. I have found Wordpress really easy to use.

I think blogging can be actually beneficial for homeschooling. For me, it helps me organize my thoughts and show off things we've done in ways that remind me that we're doing things. And it has gotten me positive feedback, which, again, is nice to hear. Homeschooling can be lonely. Blogging (and forums) can help with that. Like anything, it can get to take up too much time. I used to blog more - nearly every day. Now I blog once or twice a week on average - whenever I feel like it.

I do use pseudonyms for my kids, but not because I'm trying to keep things super private - more because I don't want them to be quite so searchable when they get older and could be embarrassed that blogged that their handwriting was terrible or that they said some cutesy little kid thing.

My kids blog is all about my kids, so their schooling, projects, summer classes, playdates......basically everything they do. So its not one topic per se but its all about them.

my blog is a good outlet for me, so I don't talk dh's ear off every night. I also wanted to share with family in a non-threatening way, so they could see what our lives are like. Mine is public, so I use fake names for my kids- mostly to guard their privacy, years from now, they probably won't want a ready-made online trail of themselves filled with posts about their struggles with math or such. I also do it for security, so hopefully strangers can't figure out exactly who we are or where we live.

I started out on blogger, it is super easy to set up. moving to wordpress. org (not the .com) was a learning curve, moving all my stuff was a pain. I do prefer wordpress though and wish I had started there. I think blogging is also a great way to introduce people to the homeschool lifestyle.