Menu

I need gift ideas around the idea of "The Great Depression"

My husband's office party always does a themed gift exchange, and this year's topic is The Great Depression.

Let's just say that shopping and gift giving is not my thing. Can I get some gift ideas please?

:)

ETA: The gifts should be in the $20 range. Cute gag gifts are appropriate, but it actual junk gag gifts would not be appropriate.

...That's kind of a weird theme. :confused1: Let's celebrate the good old days, when people were really poor?

Nevertheless:

A Shirley Temple DVD set, or other 30s movie box set

Something homemade--jam, something sewn esp. if the fabric is re-used or 30s style

Something vintage--floral hankie or linen or teacup

...That's kind of a weird theme. :confused1: Let's celebrate the good old days, when people were really poor?

Nevertheless:

A Shirley Temple DVD set, or other 30s movie box set

Something homemade--jam, something sewn esp. if the fabric is re-used or 30s style

Something vintage--floral hankie or linen or teacup

:iagree: strange theme...

How about a cookbook? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312608276/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0934860556&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X4PJQE9AWBPT6DRMMC2

Monopoly

Feed sack kitchen towels

A copy of a Steinbeck novel

A single share of a stock

Pie plate + bird vent

A bottle your own brew kit with a Prohibition warning on it.

An Erector set

A one-way ticket to Alcatraz bookmark stuck in an Al Capone biography

A copy of Annie or the Lil Rascals

I agree that the theme is bordering on bad taste given the current woes of 2012? But, perhaps they meant well?

Regardless, one Depression Era Recipe is a RITZ "Mock Apple Pie". Why not do up a gift basket of a RITZ package, pre-made pie crusts, and spices (adding up to $20 budget). Wrap it up in a bag or clear shrink wrap with a bow.

20111110mockapplepiepriu.jpg

Type up the recipe (see below) and add it to the bow:

Ritz Mock Apple Pie

The classic pie, featuring Ritz crackers baked in a golden crust, is perfect for the holidays.

Pastry for two-crust 9-inch pie

36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1 3/4 cups crumbs)

1 3/4 cups water

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Grated peel of one lemon

2 tablespoons margarine or butter

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside.

Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and peel; cool.

Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with margarine or butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie. Trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 425°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely.

That pie photo is making me hungry! People from that era really used to give homemade food items as gifts. Christmas cookies on a nice plate is the type of thing my depression-era aunt used to give for Christmas--and I love that tradition of giving. Why not give a homemade food item presented on a nice dish or plate that the recipient can re-use, (like the pyrex pie dish pictured above.)

If you live near any antique or thrift stores, you might see what old items are available there. You might even find a nice pie plate or mason jars for those authentic homemade goodies. This makes me think of the scene from Holiday Inn where the homemade preserves he gave as gifts explode.

D: What kind of gift theme is that?? My grandparents stories about the depression are not really something that seems cheerful or giftish. They were in Oklahoma during the depression. All their stories are TERRIBLE.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0312608276

This book has eggplant parmesan and chocolate biscotti recipes in it. I know my family wasn't eating that. My grandfather was sent to school with the same lunch everyday. A biscuit with bacon grease on it. Now...I might think "Yum!" but he didn't like talking about that.

I would give someone a nice jar full of Oklahoma dirt. They really don't get it.

This book has eggplant parmesan and chocolate biscotti recipes in it. I know my family wasn't eating that. My grandfather was sent to school with the same lunch everyday. A biscuit with bacon grease on it. Now...I might think "Yum!" but he didn't like talking about that.

I know, right? We have the story about the relative whose family ate beans every day. One day someone took him to a restaurant, and he was so tongue-tied that he ordered...beans. My grandfather lived in a tent by the river. Stuff like that.

I know, right? We have the story about the relative whose family ate beans every day. One day someone took him to a restaurant, and he was so tongue-tied that he ordered...beans. My grandfather lived in a tent by the river. Stuff like that.

Yeah, that is why I said I would give dirt.

I can see how the years might lessen the impact of how bad it was, but having a major disaster be a party theme? It's weird.

I agree that the theme is bordering on bad taste given the current woes of 2012? But, perhaps they meant well?

Ha ha ha! This is a economic think tank. They chose the theme very much on purpose!

I'm actually planning to take the Mock Apple Pie as my potluck dessert.

Thank you everyone for ideas!! I love the Prozac idea. And the moonshine idea. Well, all of them! I'll let you know what I decide on.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: The party is today, and here's what I am taking:

1. A glass bowl filled with cocoa mix labed "Dust Bowl."

2. A pretty basket with a bag of oranges in it.

3. A jug of moonshine. Yes, the local liquor store had moonshine!

I've wrapped all these in brown paper bags with a pretty ribbon on top.

That is a weird topic.

What about a bowl of dust.....? Or a copy of The Grapes of Wrath. Or, a bunch of vengeful grapes.

I think I need some sleep. :laugh:

Sounds good Cindyg, hope it goes well!

OT but I just read this book for the first time last month, wow, what a book, but I'm still depressed... I need that prozac. Thank goodness DH read it too, so I have someone to talk about it with.

perfect! :)

Sounds great! Thanks for updating...seriously, I love hearing what people end up doing when they ask here for suggestions!