Menu

do you feel weird not schooling all day?

momma aimee

my son is in 1st. Right now we are doing just math and reading, and we are done in less than 90 minutes a day. so by say 10 am we are done with school.

i know he is getting good coverage, i am pushing a bit more, but i do not feel we are lacking ...

we are in temp housing in a different states and while i brought more with us; we've not been diving into it.

i guess i am stuck on comparing ourselves to public school but i feel kinda weird having him play and listen to me read and watch PBS and so on the rest of the day -- *shrug*

anyone else?

When I only had 1 and we were doing K I did feel weird and always second guessed everything. I'm much more comfortable now with our schedule now that we are "reading" and doing very well at math, too. I think I always wondered if we were doing "enough". We try to do 4 hours a day most days (which is still less than ps) but some days we have less lined up. I make sure they get plenty of outdoor time to play and even on light days I do read alouds and individual reading time.

When I only had 1 and we were doing K I did feel weird and always second guessed everything. I'm much more comfortable now with our schedule now that we are "reading" and doing very well at math, too. I think I always wondered if we were doing "enough". We try to do 4 hours a day most days (which is still less than ps) but some days we have less lined up. I make sure they get plenty of outdoor time to play and even on light days I do read alouds and individual reading time.

I know what you mean, but I don't usually feel any guilt about it. If I do, then I organize and do more. :) I think for me having very little to no TV during the day keeps me from feeling guilty. I figure they are working on play skills and imagination when they are not watching TV. :)

Also, FWIW, I have started getting into a routine of doing memory work over breakfast with the kids and it makes me feel like we are much more productive.

HTH

I felt weird when we first started homeschooling, especially since my oldest did spend two years in the school system and I used to work in the school system. At first I tried to drag out his second grade work to six hours a day, but it just didn't fly because he was done with it in two hours and then I just gave him busy work. Finally, I succumbed and just did the short days.

I will say enjoy it because it doesn't last! He's in the middle grades now so most days are four hours days although there are one or two six hour days each week now that he is starting on some college prep classes (his goal is to start college at 16 with a program our state offers, so he only has 3 1/2 years to go). Oddly enough, my younger son is now in second grade and it takes us 3 to 4 hours to finish school, granted we cover more subjects than I did with my older son at that age. I think it's because I have homeschooled him from the beginning and I have more experience, so I am more aware of what he is capable of at this age. Plus, he enjoys learning more than his older brother did at this age.

At first, I did, then I didn't. Having volunteered at my son's school, I know we are getting a lot done every day, even if we're done hours before the public school let's out. We fill the rest of our day with projects, outdoor time, and play with friends.

Yes, I do, it feels like I'm cheating or something.

But I'm almost halfway through Phonics 1 and halfway through math so we're right on target. And I know the books we read and listen to are much more than what he would get in school. I agree that one on one is more intensive than what they would get in a classroom. I know some gets that homeschool through a tutor and all they do is two hours per day.

I'll bet many of the things you are doing would "count" as school--reading to your child and educational shows, cooking and baking, trips to the store and bank and post office--I considered all of these and more as educational. Puzzles and games, crafts--there are all kinds of things that homeschooling families tend to do that "fit." Not that you need to "count," but don't discount what you do either.

Have fun! Merry :-)

Yes, I do, it feels like I'm cheating or something.

But I'm almost halfway through Phonics 1 and halfway through math so we're right on target. And I know the books we read and listen to are much more than what he would get in school. I agree that one on one is more intensive than what they would get in a classroom. I know some gets that homeschool through a tutor and all they do is two hours per day.

No, not really.

But we are usually busy... we may not be sitting down doing seatwork for hours on end, but keeping the house going, ferrying the kids to all their activities, running some of those activities, etc. is a full time affair around here. So it's not like I'm sitting around most days.

We don't do it all in one shot, so we aren't often done till the afternoon. My first-grader's day is more like: breakfast, chores, play, math, play, language, play, lunch, quiet time, play, history, play, dinner, play, read aloud, play, bed... I figure that's a much better use of her time. :)

I'll bet many of the things you are doing would "count" as school--reading to your child and educational shows, cooking and baking, trips to the store and bank and post office--I considered all of these and more as educational. Puzzles and games, crafts--there are all kinds of things that homeschooling families tend to do that "fit." Not that you need to "count," but don't discount what you do either.

Have fun! Merry :-)

:iagree: Today I took my 4yo & 2yo to the grocery store, and the local preschool class was grocery shopping while we were there. They must be making a meal in class or something. It was weird to see these kids the same age as my 4yo doing essentially the same thing as us, but well, our trip to the grocery store was clearly more educational than the preschool's. None of the kids seemed to be having fun, so for today I wasn't plagued by "what ifs" about preschool. I'm sure the what ifs will be back tomorrow, though.

I felt nervous about it -until my DD finished up her yearly curriculum in 6 months doing only 1 page a day (10 minutes). Then we started on another program to fill in time before I moved her onto the next level and when I recieved her book for next year discovered that it will just be review because the "fill in time" program covered it all. :laugh:

So schooling 3 hours a day 3-4 days a week my DD who is a rising first grader (still 4 weeks of K left) is now ready to skip first grade and do 2nd grade work - and she is an average student - not gifted or even advanced.

My DS who is a rising K is ready to move onto 1st grade work as well - without doing anything more then 10 minutes of math, handwriting, reading and a smattering of interest led science 3-4 days a week - basicallyjust whenever I could pull him away from playing.

Public School must waste so much time or something becuase I don't know how we accomplished this - but we did :confused1:

No. We do 2 hours max with my 7 year old for 2nd grade. 3 days a week I do 15-30 minutes with my 4 year old. It just depends on her focus. I don't feel guilty because I know my 7yo is way ahead of his peers and my 4yo is right on track. As others said, the focused one on one study is worth more than class instruction.

I don't feel guilty. Instead of looking at time spent, I look at what we accomplished and how my children are doing overall. For example, I spend 45 minutes to an hour doing school with my K'er (just turned 6). That includes read-aloud time. Our seatwork is very short - 10 minutes for reading instruction is all he can handle, because that's hard work for him. And math only takes about 5-10 minutes, and he'll start talking numbers outside of "school" time, clearly showing that he's well beyond where he needs to be in K. His reading is coming along, and he is technically ahead of the average K'er in school right now, just because they only started in August (he is not at all advanced in reading). His writing is also coming along, and now we're learning cursive because he wants to. :) So with the little bit that he does, I have no problem sending him outside to play. He is getting so much more from the imaginative play outside than he would get from sitting inside a desk doing book work. He's learning about nature out there. And when we read, he remembers things. A couple weeks ago at church, he drew the layers of the ocean, with representative critters in each layer - just from reading a Cat in the Hat book. How many public school K'ers know the parts of the ocean? :p

My oldest has much more seatwork. His school takes about 3 hours total usually. But it's neat to hear him spouting out facts that we didn't even teach in school. Just yesterday, a van conversation involved Mt. Everest, and he was talking about where it was. Then he started naming a bunch of countries that are in Asia. We don't do formal geography besides what is integrated into history, but he knows all those countries in Asia! It was really neat to hear him spouting them off. If he were going to school, he probably wouldn't be doing that. But because he's at home and he's spent time just looking at a globe and reading random books and such, he knows all this geography. Very cool. This happens all the time with science and history as well. I don't teach formal science right now - I just let him read and follow his interests. He's always telling me neat science facts that I didn't know! And history is one of his great loves, so he knows way more about world history than I do. :D Given all that (and the fact that he's working ahead in most subjects anyway), I have absolutely zero guilt when school is over and I let him go play. That gives me time to work on the house or get dinner started, or even piddle around for a bit. We did our work, usually getting as much or more done as the public schools do in a day, so I'm fine with it! It doesn't take that long to teach a concept to ONE kid. In a classroom, it has to be presented a billion different ways to reach each different kid. In my homeschool, I know exactly how to present it so my kid gets it right away most of the time. And if he doesn't, I just change approach until he does. But most of the time, I know his learning style well enough that it isn't an issue. It doesn't take me 45 minutes to present a math lesson to him. It takes more like 5 minutes... maybe 10 if we get good discussion going at the white board. So nope, no guilt at all. :)

Nope. No only do I not feel guilty about not spending all day doing school, I believe my kids are better off b/c of it. "School" is not the end-all-be-all of learning. Far from it. I'd rather have my little kids playing and using their imagination for hrs and hrs vs. sitting at a desk doing academics. (ETA: How is learning defined? I think this plays a key role in how a child's day is viewed. For example, if learning is defined as sitting at a desk reading a textbook and filling out worksheets, then the key ways children learn from my pov is not being recognized as learning. Learning via exploring their environment (for example, learning about pulleys/levers by actually using them vs. reading about them in a textbook, etc) is a higher educational objective for me than how "school" is traditionally viewed.)

FWIW, I am no longer in the "hypothetical/wondering" end of the perspective. Our approx. 1 hr of "sit-down" academics/day/grade level approach through middle school age w/no academic pre-school time at all has produced successful young adults who are thriving. They are independent thinkers, hard-workers, self-reliant (w/the exception of our adult Aspie who will never be completely independent), and self-motivated.

I wasn't sure where this homeschooling experiment was going to take us way back when we started. I am so glad that we began this journey b/c I am thankful for the time I have had w/my kids while they were(are) growing up and I am proud of the people they have chosen to become.

My ds is a first grader and we do about 2 hours, but it coincides with my dd as well. So he may have to wait if I'm n te midde of something with her. We cover readng, phonics, math, handwriting, WWE, and he does some Greek and history/science read alouds.

I used to teach in the school system and believe me SO MUCH TIME is wasted, it's not even funny!!! For example: discipline takes a lot of time...stopping and waiting for all to pay attention, stopping and telling kids to be quiet or get working or whatever, if I had a dime for every 5 minutes that were wasted because we were waiting for the next thing to happen...going to PE, art, music, recess, lunch....teaching over and over again until each and every student understood...so when those who did understand, if I let them start working...they would be done early...and then disrupt the rest of the class...and then I would be "forced' to give them busy work just to...well...keep them busy....I HATED THAT....so, yes we get done really fast here too...but when they are done, they are doing other "learning" activities...legos, crafts, imaginative play with each other, piano practicing, and the list goes on and on...so the book learning gets done fast, but the life learning goes on and on...ENJOY IT....and don't let others make you feel guilty.

I used to teach in the school system and believe me SO MUCH TIME is wasted, it's not even funny!!! For example: discipline takes a lot of time...stopping and waiting for all to pay attention, stopping and telling kids to be quiet or get working or whatever, if I had a dime for every 5 minutes that were wasted because we were waiting for the next thing to happen...going to PE, art, music, recess, lunch....teaching over and over again until each and every student understood...so when those who did understand, if I let them start working...they would be done early...and then disrupt the rest of the class...and then I would be "forced' to give them busy work just to...well...keep them busy....I HATED THAT....so, yes we get done really fast here too...but when they are done, they are doing other "learning" activities...legos, crafts, imaginative play with each other, piano practicing, and the list goes on and on...so the book learning gets done fast, but the life learning goes on and on...ENJOY IT....and don't let others make you feel guilty.

My dh works in the school system and yes! so much of that time is spent with crowd control activities. And busywork to keep the crowd under control the whole period. My 4th grader is done most days by 1.

If it would make you feel better just add something fun to the afternoon. A science experiment or nature study walk. Arts and craft or a board game.

That's the beauty of homeschooling. They really do learn more in that concentrated time rather than stretching their day out over 6-7 hours. Also downtime to just look out the window and watch the squirrel is better imo than being constantly kept busy and entertained and worksheeted to death in school.

It gives them time to think and ponder and formulate questions and solve problems if they aren't always being bothered.

I'm trying to remember my oldest ds's 1st grade year. Phonics reading practice, some math, handwriting, lots of read alouds (picture books and chapter books and non fiction books). Yep everything else that could fall under the heading of science, history, geography etc was just following interests and done in the spirit of play.

Not only do I not feel weird (anymore), I feel very thankful that my young children do not have to sit still for such huge portions of their day.

It isn't natural or healthy for a small person to spend many hours sitting, even if interrupted by activity. It isn't very healthy for us moms either, actually. I become more convinced all the time that more of our learning should be active learning, for both mental and physical health.