Menu

Searches

Joan in GE

First, thank you for all your hard work!

Second, I was just trying to search Moby Dick....

First I tried with those two words, though they weren't capitalized and got 'nothing'.

Then I tried with just 'moby' and got two threads...The Moby part was highlighted in yellow...But, within a thread, there was a post that had Moby Dick in italics and the Moby part was not highlighted...meaning there could be posts where the person just had Moby Dick in italics that then did not show up...here's the thread where it didn't show

So then I tried to search by putting Moby in italics but every time I did control i for italics, it changed my screen so I was never able to search with an italicized word....

Don't know if this is too hard to change but it might affect literature searches...

Thanks,

Joan

I am also experiencing trouble searching. In fact, I tried to search this very thread and couldn't find Moby Dick! Most of my time on these boards is spent searching. I can't do any of that today.

I'm sure this will get fixed, but just thought I'd post about it. Looking forward to learning the new board! Thank you all!

Don't know how easy this will be to solve....Just searched my board name "joan in geneva" in the members section....It came back as no "joan geneva", I presume because the 'in' is taken out in Google searches...Since it is an inherent part of my 'name' I would never be found... :crying:

Yes, I'm having a huge problem with searches too. Most of the time it just times out, without giving me any result (everything seems inordinately slow), but other times it says the search found nothing, and I'm searching for really obvious stuff, named curricula that have been posted about many times.

I probably missing something really obvious, but I can't figure out HOW to do a search on the new forums. Where is the search feature located? Thanks

The search box is at the top right of the screen. On every page. I had problems finding it to, guess it was too obvious! Click the little gear icon to go to the advanced search. I haven't had much luck with it, I'm sure it will be working better at some point.

The search box is at the top right of the screen. On every page. I had problems finding it to, guess it was too obvious! Click the little gear icon to go to the advanced search. I haven't had much luck with it, I'm sure it will be working better at some point.

Thank you! I knew I would feel stupid when someone pointed it out to me, and sure enough I have no idea how I could not see something so obvious!

Joan,

I searched "joan in geneva" in forums and this thread came up. Only this thread. It is as if the past never happened.

Lee in New England

Yes, it still seems to be a problem...The old format where when you start to type a name in for the author of posts, the options would come up, doesn't seem to exist any more....

Maybe I'll need a new Board name...

Joan (GenevaJ)

I just did a search of Moby Dick and got pages worth of thread results, so I am wondering if this has been resolved. :001_unsure:

This is curious - I get 15 threads but not pages of threads....Only two of those are on the high school board so probably that was what I was doing by mistake before....But I'm wondering why I don't get pages of threads - or did you mean 'posts'?

Joan

This is curious - I get 15 threads but not pages of threads....Only two of those are on the high school board so probably that was what I was doing by mistake before....But I'm wondering why I don't get pages of threads - or did you mean 'posts'?

Joan

Your right, I just went and did it again and only get the 15 total and the two on highschool board. :confused1: I do not know if I had some strange window or did something different, but now I am a bit confused. Sorry!

I have experienced trouble with the search function.

I KNOW that there was a thread whose title included "life of Pi" sometime in the last six months, but the search function does not find it.

Also, it is difficult to get to the advanced search; I have not been able to consistently replicate it, and it seems more complicated than before.

I do not know if I had some strange window or did something different, but now I am a bit confused. Sorry!

No problem! I only brought it up again hoping that one of those 'John's who is working on this will realize that something is still amiss....

Also, it is difficult to get to the advanced search; I have not been able to consistently replicate it, and it seems more complicated than before.

Yes, it seems like the 'wiring' is not yet 'hardwired' somehow - very hazy.

One part of the search function that I miss is when you put in the name of the poster - it would start to do automatic fill...then you knew the search function would work properly too as it recognized the whole poster name....not leaving out prepositions...

Joan

Give me a few search terms to test. I may need to just update the index.

John

Here is another example. I know that the high school board has some lengthy threads on the topic of physics: which curriculum to choose depending on math ability, how to schedule using "College Physics" by Knight Jones, AP physics, etc. I even know that I commented on a thread about the Knight Jones schedule in the last week. But when I search for physics on the high school board, I get many threads with little or no relation to physics and not the threads that I know are out there.

(Is this in part because the search function is also scanning signature lines, so that posts where someone has physics in the signature is showing up?)

The current search function would also be helped a lot by bring back thread tags, especially those added by people other than the original poster.

[ETA: This is the thread that I can't get to come up on searches. When I went through the high school forum, it was on the second page.]

<Hand slapping forehead> Oh duh! I have been trying to work up the nerve to ask how to do a search. No kidding about the obvious. :tongue_smilie:

If you click on the little gear beside the search box, then you can plug the username (like Joan in Geneva) into a search by author box. Is that what you're trying to do?

Well, you can do that. But it doesn't have the old feature of autocompleting names as you type them. That was very handy. For example, some people are Jane in VA, but others are Janeinva. My name has parentheses. It can be hard to remember these details. The autocomplete helped a lot.

If you click on the little gear beside the search box, then you can plug the username (like Joan in Geneva) into a search by author box. Is that what you're trying to do?

Yes, I had gone into the advanced search mode and put it in there....but I see that now it is working...perhaps they've been working on this?

I agree about 'autocomplete' being extremely useful....

Joan

John

My own posts used to be findable by going to the advanced search feature and putting in my user name "Pen". How would they be found now? A search of the word Pen says no posts with that term.

My own posts used to be findable by going to the advanced search feature and putting in my user name "Pen". How would they be found now? A search of the word Pen says no posts with that term.

Click the gear by the search box. Put Pen in the search by author box. Switch the radio button from search by topic to search by posts. It will come up with all of your posts.

John

Here is an example. I was trying to find this thread recently: http://forums.welltr...n-reading-list/

I remembered some of the words from the thread, namely "Rybczynski" and "Cuckoo's Egg" and used them as my search terms. I thought they would be unusual terms to make it easy to find the desired thread. I am attaching screen shots showing both searches, neither of which found the thread.

Another poster was kind enough to find the thread for me -- I'm not sure how -- which is how I am able to link it now.

I also tried searching on google, and this link showed up:

http://forums.welltr...p/t-354049.html

which does not work.

However, just now when I tried searching on google again, a new result shows up with the correct link:

http://forums.welltr...n-reading-list/

I'm attaching a screen shot of the current google results.

Thanks for all your work in improving the site!

post-6896-0-89268100-1353873605_thumb.png

post-6896-0-33707300-1353873614_thumb.png

post-6896-0-74552100-1353873994_thumb.png

I am also having search issues. When I search on google with site:welltrainedmind.com, a lot of results come up and I can only see a sentence or two, but when I click on the links, they don't work. So I come here and repeat the search, only three results come up, and not the same ones. I know the threads I want to read are in here somewhere, but I have no way to find them. :(

On a related note: why do only a few results come up when I search for posts by a user? I know the person has several thousand posts, but the search finds only three.

Are you putting the username in the search box or using the advanced search to search by author? If you are putting the username in the search box, then I think (*think*, lol) it is only finding the posts where their username is in the body of the message.

I know I've already responded to this thread, but the lack of search results really has me frustrated. Previously, I spent most of time on these boards searching old posts - so I wouldn't have to post similar questions many times a day.

Yes, I have regularly gone into advanced search. Pratchett (as in Terry) is only listed about 5 times. Sigh.

It just makes me so sad. I find I am spending less and less time here. :sad: I mean, it shouldn't be this hard. Should it?

I remember disliking the old forum's search function and naively thought the new board would be so much better! Ha!

Are you putting the username in the search box or using the advanced search to search by author? If you are putting the username in the search box, then I think (*think*, lol) it is only finding the posts where their username is in the body of the message.

So if I put in my name under author in the advanced search and don't restrict it by date, I only have posts show up back through October 2012. I have a few more posts than that.

On the positive side, a lot of tags are now showing up and there were more (and better) results for a search on physics. I hope this means the tech team is rested and full of turkey and pie so they can face tinkering with board parameters again.

So if I put in my name under author in the advanced search and don't restrict it by date, I only have posts show up back through October 2012. I have a few more posts than that.

On the positive side, a lot of tags are now showing up and there were more (and better) results for a search on physics. I hope this means the tech team is rested and full of turkey and pie so they can face tinkering with board parameters again.

My *guess* would be that it is limiting it to a certain number of posts because it only gives me posts back to November, if I search by my username. It probably would place too many demands upon the server to come up with *all* of my posts. ;)

Click the gear by the search box. Put Pen in the search by author box. Switch the radio button from search by topic to search by posts. It will come up with all of your posts.

Hmmm... I am only getting 6 pages of posts -- basically only going back to about July 2012. NOT the list of all my past posts. Even limiting it to, say, just the High School Board, does not allow it to go further back, or show ALL my past posts...

Currently some of the search only goes back one year for a large amount of posts. I am working on changing that.

Thank you! That would help a lot!

And on a side note... The previous format had an "archive" button which allowed you to see a humungous list of ALL past threads for that forum. Could we have an archive button for here? And that ideally includes all the archive of the previous format? Thanks for considering this! Warmly, Lori D.

I know I've already responded to this thread, but the lack of search results really has me frustrated. Previously, I spent most of time on these boards searching old posts - so I wouldn't have to post similar questions many times a day.

Yes, I have regularly gone into advanced search. Pratchett (as in Terry) is only listed about 5 times. Sigh.

It just makes me so sad. I find I am spending less and less time here. :sad: I mean, it shouldn't be this hard. Should it?

I remember disliking the old forum's search function and naively thought the new board would be so much better! Ha!

I am in EXACTLY the same situation! I used to search a lot, and could come up with a lot. Now, it is very odd, random, and scanty what comes up for searches. And I find I spend less time here, too, as a result...

I am also having search issues. When I search on google with site:welltrainedmind.com, a lot of results come up and I can only see a sentence or two, but when I click on the links, they don't work. So I come here and repeat the search, only three results come up, and not the same ones. I know the threads I want to read are in here somewhere, but I have no way to find them. :(

Exactly my experience, too!

Same problem here in the Classified section. If you can't bump and you can't search, you can't sell.

Completely agree. I'm hoping to get interested emails from other sale sites like homeschoolclassifieds.com since I don't seem to be getting replies on the things I listed here yesterday and I thought at least one of them would go quickly. :(

Completely agree. I'm hoping to get interested emails from other sale sites like homeschoolclassifieds.com since I don't seem to be getting replies on the things I listed here yesterday and I thought at least one of them would go quickly. :(

I did sell an item and my thanks to that intrepid buyer. However, I can't tell anyone that I sold the item because when I try to edit the post, it tells me that too much time has elapsed. The window for editing was even shorter than the old forum.