Menu

Creating a high school non-fiction reading list

I'd like to pick a handful of titles to have ds read in high school. My goal is to have him pick one book a year, and have it large enough to pick at and absorb throughout the year. There would be no written assignments, just discussion. I'm leaning more towards history/science/human geography type titles, but need some more ideas.

Currently I have:

The Creators, The Discoverers, & The Seekers by Boorstin

Churchill's History of the English Speaking People Volumes I - IV

Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence

I hope to read Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything this year, otherwise it would be on the list.

What other titles would make good options?

I would probably tend more toward books with a specific focus, rather than ones that try to cover everything. The more specific books have always been more interesting to me, and I learn more from them (as do my kids).

Some suggestions:

Guns, Germs, and Steel falls into this category, but if you get interested in that, you might also try Plagues and Peoples, which is where Diamond got most of his information. And you could read a few chapters out of Collapse, but it's not as well pulled together. If the Viking chapters in Collapse interest you, you could then move on to The Far Traveler -- you can kind of see how we pick out our books.

Bryson's The Mother Tongue

Women's Work, The First 20,000 Years

In Defense of Food

The Future of Life

These are just a few that have worked for us. They spark an interest and then the student moves on to read more.

For what it's worth, we tried Churchill, but gave up on it. He seems to assume we already know the history, so we didn't learn anything in those areas where we were clueless. On the parts where we did already know the history, we didn't learn anything further. We got more out of Simon Schama's History of Britain TV series.

I wish I could find a good comprehensive British history book, because Churchill just didn't work for us.

I would probably tend more toward books with a specific focus, rather than ones that try to cover everything. The more specific books have always been more interesting to me, and I learn more from them (as do my kids).

Some suggestions:

Guns, Germs, and Steel falls into this category, but if you get interested in that, you might also try Plagues and Peoples, which is where Diamond got most of his information. And you could read a few chapters out of Collapse, but it's not as well pulled together. If the Viking chapters in Collapse interest you, you could then move on to The Far Traveler -- you can kind of see how we pick out our books.

Bryson's The Mother Tongue

Women's Work, The First 20,000 Years

In Defense of Food

The Future of Life

These are just a few that have worked for us. They spark an interest and then the student moves on to read more.

For what it's worth, we tried Churchill, but gave up on it. He seems to assume we already know the history, so we didn't learn anything in those areas where we were clueless. On the parts where we did already know the history, we didn't learn anything further. We got more out of Simon Schama's History of Britain TV series.

I wish I could find a good comprehensive British history book, because Churchill just didn't work for us.

My high school child enjoys making lists. Her GoodReads lists are in my and she has them divided by grade.

Thank you, both. I'll check out your recommendations.

Lies My Teacher Told Me

and thought Salt was much more interesting than Guns, Germs & Steel, although we read that too.

We'll read the first when we do US history, I ran across Salt in my search.

I also happened across these titles:

Plagues and Peoples

The World is Flat

I also have Napoleon's Buttons, which he will read for science, but I'd like some more science titles to consider too.

Edited by elegantlion
plagues not plaques

Paula,

Not what you are asking about but something that I suspect your son would enjoy are the non-fiction books that Scott McCloud has written about comics: Understanding Comics and Reinventing Comics.

How about Mary Roach's book Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers?

(Can you tell I have a son? :lol::lol:)

On topic: Sand County Almanac (Aldo Leopold)

Anything by Sue Hubbell but I particularly like A Book of Bees and Broadsides from the Other Orders.

I can't let one of these sorts of threads go by without mentioning the Oliver Sachs book Uncle Tungsten.

And something that maybe you can get through an Interlibrary Loan: any volume in the Opposing Viewpoints Series. This is an tremendous resource for discussion and developing critical thinking skills. The books in the series present essays with various opinions on assorted facets of complex topics. Recently my husband borrowed the volume on Artificial Intelligence. Essays in the book examine technological and ethical issues on the subject and its applications. I recently read some of the essays in the book on Coal. (Yeah, I know I am a little weird.) So many issues facing us are reduced to five minute soundbites which do not even begin to tackle the issue or implications of a stance. These books are incredibly thought provoking but not cheap! I am grateful that our library has a number of them. (Link.)

May I also suggest visiting a college library to examine one of the books by Edward Tufte? (Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think most small city libraries will have his works.) In the age of Powerpoint abuse, learning how to present data in a clear and meaningful fashion is critical. Tufte is the master. His website is great too.

Edited by Jane in NC
Another suggestion!

My husband loves the history of science and highly recommends the following narratives:

Paralax: the race to measure the cosmos

The Measure of All Things: The seven-year Odyssey and Hidden Error that Transformed the World

Ds is currently reading "The Science of Michael Crichton". He started to read one on the science of Harry Potter but didn't like it because he said that the science was a bit iffy in that one.

He's also read "What Einstein told his cook: kitchen science explained" by Marlene Parish. There was a sequel to that one that he liked too.

"The velocity of honey and more science of everyday life" was one that he read a couple of years ago.

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you were looking for. They are more popular science in a sense. Ds reads them for fun, not for school.

Oh, and we liked "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by William Kamkwamba.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder (nominally a novel, but constitutes an introduction to the history of philosophy)

Flatland by Edwin Abbot.

Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter. (for the mathematically inclined)

A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper by John Allen Paulos.

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Chaos by James Gleick.

My dh adds his suggestions:

Among Schoolchildren, House, or Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder

Home or City Life by Witold Rybczynski

Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll (about computer security, hacking, and ethics; reads like a spy thriller)

Ever Since Darwin by Stephen Jay Gould

Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis

Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin

I'd like to pick a handful of titles to have ds read in high school. My goal is to have him pick one book a year, and have it large enough to pick at and absorb throughout the year. There would be no written assignments, just discussion. I'm leaning more towards history/science/human geography type titles, but need some more ideas.

Currently I have:

The Creators, The Discoverers, & The Seekers by Boorstin

Churchill's History of the English Speaking People Volumes I - IV

Barzun's From Dawn to Decadence

I hope to read Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everything this year, otherwise it would be on the list.

What other titles would make good options?

Boorstin's The Image is a favorite of mine. I try to reread it each presidential election cycle.

Why We Buy by Paco Underhill

Flu by Gina Kollata (not sure on spelling)

The Road to Serfdom by Hayek

Flu by Gina Kollata (not sure on spelling)

This is a fascinating and worthwhile read. However, I was concerned over her portrayal of Kirsty Duncan vs the boys. The Kirsty I knew (not well, but also by reputation -- I was a student in the same department as her), while serious and intense, did not jive with the Kristy in the book. There are worse crimes than being female and young and attractive, and there was plenty to write about without going there.

My dh adds his suggestions:

Among Schoolchildren, House, or Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder

Home or City Life by Witold Rybczynski

Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll (about computer security, hacking, and ethics; reads like a spy thriller)

Ever Since Darwin by Stephen Jay Gould

Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis

Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin

Please thank your dh for me. Ds just finished Cuckoo's Egg today and absolutely loved it! I'm looking forward to getting other books from this thread.:001_smile:

And something that maybe you can get through an Interlibrary Loan: any volume in the Opposing Viewpoints Series. This is an tremendous resource for discussion and developing critical thinking skills. The books in the series present essays with various opinions on assorted facets of complex topics. Recently my husband borrowed the volume on Artificial Intelligence. Essays in the book examine technological and ethical issues on the subject and its applications. I recently read some of the essays in the book on Coal. (Yeah, I know I am a little weird.) So many issues facing us are reduced to five minute soundbites which do not even begin to tackle the issue or implications of a stance. These books are incredibly thought provoking but not cheap! I am grateful that our library has a number of them. (Link.)

snipped quote.

Oh my! Thank you so much for mentioning the Opposing Viewpoints Series. I had never heard of these before. We just checked out a handful from our library and started reading Coal- fantastic. We are having some wonderful discussions here! (And we must be a little weird, too b/c Coal is fascinating to us- especially since we have been on a couple mining tours.)

snipped quote.

Oh my! Thank you so much for mentioning the Opposing Viewpoints Series. I had never heard of these before. We just checked out a handful from our library and started reading Coal- fantastic. We are having some wonderful discussions here! (And we must be a little weird, too b/c Coal is fascinating to us- especially since we have been on a couple mining tours.)

You are most welcome. Glad to hear that your library carries the series.

Your fellow energy nerd,

Jane

I love this question and approach. Non-fiction so frequently gets short shrift. There have been many good suggestions, but they have mostly trended to recent books. Maybe some of these aren't meaty enough for a whole year, but they are all non-fiction classics. Off the top of my head:

"What color is your parachute?" -- Not just advice about how to find a job

"Godel, Escher, Bach" -- The ultimate book for the "mathy".

"The Making of the Atomic Bomb" -- more interesting than you might think

"The Soul of a New Machine" -- Or anything by Tracy Kidder

"From the Crash to the Blitz" -- In-depth study of one American decade -- the 30s

The Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin

along with

In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin

Moneyball by Lewis....good for sports and math geeks alike

combined with

Freakonomics - good for a "new" take on social problems

Biographies of anyone who has a similar passion to your child.

I'm loving this thread! I don't usually come over to the high school board, but I'm glad I did today! There are so many good suggestions here! I wanted to second 7 Habits of Highly Successful People suggestion. (Or the teen version) Aside from academic skills, I want to prepare my kids for life- and I think that book is EXCELLENT and I will definitely be requiring that. Also, some finance books. Total Money Makeover is popular, but I haven't researched all the options for this yet. My brother read one (maybe Automatic Millionaire?) when he was in high school and he started saving for his retirement at 16.