Menu

Help me think through something regarding an umbrella school

First off, let me make it clear that in my state the private school umbrella version is just like homeschooling in almost every way. I still can call myself a homeschooler, go to homeschool support group meetings, and apply for the state scholarships as a homeschool student. You can't take part in public school activities as a Private Umbrella School student but we don't do that anyway...

Now with that said, I thought it would be a wonderful thing to enroll in a private umbrella school. I wanted more accountability. And so I did. This school gives amazing feedback, tons of personal attention and counselling, and they answer or return all of my phone calls very quickly. They allow you to choose your own curriculum. Upon enrolling, I was told my 5th grader needed to take more tests. Basically, she said that it would prepare him for test taking. That's one example of how the advisor may point out small things that could be improved. She is very very knowledgable and they have hundreds of enrolled students. This school isn't going anywhere either, as they have a large staff and plans in place, should she need to step out of the role of supervisor. They provide counselling for every single step of the college process, as far as when to take the PSAT, SAT, and how to specifically apply for our state scholarship program. They also make recommendations as needed for better class standing, for instance if we used Lifepac Science we would get regular Science credits, but if we used Apologia Science and did all the labs, that can be considered HOnors Science.

I'm just wondering if all of this is necessary. I mean, it's costing me 100.00 per month. Would all of this be worth it to you? I think that navigating the middle and high school waters could be pretty stressful, but then I think about that 1000.00 per year and I'm thinking maybe I should have tried to navigate on my own.

I am the type of person that does not want anyone involved in our educational decisions w/the exception of those I specifically "invite" in (like private tutors). I would not pay $ to have anyone do what you describe b/c those types of suggestions would aggravate me to no end. (first, I would not be willing to give my 5th grader more tests, and second, in no way do I believe that Apologia is even close to an honors level course. :tongue_smilie:)

I would personally use that $1000 for tutors, enrichment opportunities, etc.

That said, if individuals have no idea what they are doing and really need the support to provide their children an appropriate education, then the $1000 is well-spent. I guess it boils down to how willing a parent is to educate themselves on what is appropriate educationally and then making sure they follow through. (though, the WTM can provide the first for not much $. )

That is a question you have to ultimately answer yourself. You might find that some years, it is worth it to you.

Can you choose it one year & drop it another year, then rejoin? Because, I could see that you feel it is really nice right now (other than the $$), but might feel good enough to 'go it alone' next year. By the time you are looking at high school, you might change your mind & decide it is worth it.

I have some really good IRL friends who help me navigate the waters of day-to-day HSing. I have The Hive for helping me freak out or not freak out about high school. Those are both free.

Some people, including quite a few IRL acquaintances, pay $$$$ for the extra assistance from an umbrella school - especially when it comes to high school transcript assistance.

Now with that said, I thought it would be a wonderful thing to enroll in a private umbrella school. I wanted more accountability. ...

I'm just wondering if all of this is necessary. I mean, it's costing me 100.00 per month. Would all of this be worth it to you? I think that navigating the middle and high school waters could be pretty stressful, but then I think about that 1000.00 per year and I'm thinking maybe I should have tried to navigate on my own.

For accountability I would have opt for a ISP that gives money for curriculum. I would have accountability since my kids would have to meet the teacher every 20 days and be quized on their work.

My neighbour has a daughter in a christian umbrella school for a few years already. However her daughter goes to school once a week full day for peer group classes. My neighbour also works from home and has a toddler (she was pregnant when her daughter was in K). So for her case, it was money well spent.

That is a lot of money for just accountability, counseling, and record keeping. Are you paying for the curriculum of your choice too? Have you looked to see if there is any program through your local school district (we are in one, and they pay for the curriculum of our choice) or maybe a virtual school through your state (you'd get accountability, but free, except you might not be able to pick your own curriculum....some let you some don't).

ETA: and this is for the 10 year old? Or both? If it's for the 10 year old...you're looking at around $8,000 by the time he graduates, right?

Edited by ~AprilMay~

No, there is nothing acceptable in my state for a virtual school. They only offer Connections. Besides, I don't want to be accountable to a public school system or teacher.

Its 1000 for two kids, 500 each. So it's really 4000 for one and 5000 for the younger, by graduation. Which is why I'm really re-thinking this.

I would pay $100/month for them to stay OUT of my business! So, no, it is not worth it to me.

Other than this forum, do you have local homeschool support groups that can help you navigate your specific state? I'm on several local yahoo groups, and we ask/share an abundance of information...for free;)

For middle school, no. For high school, maybe.

Only because the high schools around here are notorious for rejecting all homeschool work and requiring everyone to start over as freshman no matter their age. I'm seriously debating using an accredited program when we hit high school because if anything were to happen to me or dh, I would want the security that a tragedy wouldn't compound on itself when the kids had to enter school.

Of course, I could be confused b/c I don't think we have umbrellas here. Are you getting credits/transcript too, or just advice?

I am the type of person that does not want anyone involved in our educational decisions w/the exception of those I specifically "invite" in (like private tutors). I would not pay $ to have anyone do what you describe b/c those types of suggestions would aggravate me to no end. (first, I would not be willing to give my 5th grader more tests, and second, in no way do I believe that Apologia is even close to an honors level course. :tongue_smilie:)

I would personally use that $1000 for tutors, enrichment opportunities, etc.

That said, if individuals have no idea what they are doing and really need the support to provide their children an appropriate education, then the $1000 is well-spent. I guess it boils down to how willing a parent is to educate themselves on what is appropriate educationally and then making sure they follow through. (though, the WTM can provide the first for not much $. )

This. Every bit of it.

I know people who basically do this (though not that much money, but they choose to pay money for this type of situation at an umbrella) and I do not get it at all. I'm not upset that the option exists and I accept that they're helping some people, but I can't imagine what makes it worth it. My knee-jerk reaction is to say it's for people who lack confidence, but the reality is that many people who seem to be very focused and confident seem to pick that option, so I think that can't be it.

Transcripts, and an accredited diploma as well.

Transcripts are not that hard. Really.

Keeping track of dates for taking the college entrance tests isn't that hard, either--get a calendar, mark them down after visiting the websites.

Same with college ap deadlines.

And as far as accredited diploma--check with colleges that might be in your kiddo's future, and you will find very, very few that do not accept homeschool diplomas. They are most interested in SATs and ACTs and the like.

The money could be much better spent, imo. :D

And as far as accredited diploma--check with colleges that might be in your kiddo's future, and you will find very, very few that do not accept homeschool diplomas. They are most interested in SATs and ACTs and the like.

The money could be much better spent, imo. :D

Yes, but for me the issue would not be a college accepting transcripts and work, but the local high schools if we had a family or work situation that necessitated a change mid-stream. I've heard too many horror stories about our area, and if there was a serious issue, I'm not sure we could afford to finish it out at private school. That may or may not be a concern for the OP, but I do think there are more options in that situation coming from an accredited program and I do see some reasons why this kind of umbrella would be worthwhile.

We don't get classes. We just get accountability, Counselling, and record keeping.

Yes, but for me the issue would not be a college accepting transcripts and work, but the local high schools if we had a family or work situation that necessitated a change mid-stream. I've heard too many horror stories about our area, and if there was a serious issue, I'm not sure we could afford to finish it out at private school. That may or may not be a concern for the OP, but I do think there are more options in that situation coming from an accredited program and I do see some reasons why this kind of umbrella would be worthwhile.

FairProspects, I'm assuming you are in WA state based on the Puget Sound location? You are right. Public high schools will not even consider a homeschool class to be valid towards public high school credit. Are you working with an ALE to earn the public school credit on your homeschool classes? Or is there another type of homeschool credit that public schools must accept? I'm curious, because other than ALE's & Running Start, I'm not aware of any other accredited program/classes that public schools must accept.

Also, do not forget that come 11th grade, all students, whether homeschooled, public school, or private school, are eligible for Running Start. There they can earn an AA tuition free, and receive a WA state public high school diploma from the college if they so choose. A WA state public high school diploma is available, for the asking, of any student who completes their AA.... one does NOT have to fulfill the public high school requirements unless they want their diploma from a particular public high school. The AA does not have to be completed in 2 years. It can take longer, but Running Start will only pay for the Jr. and Sr. years. Or, your dc's can take some of their classes through Running Start, some at home, and receive a homeschool diploma. These are other options for you to fall back on if you have to give up homeschooling in the high school years.

I'm sorry to butt in :tongue_smilie: if you are already aware of these options. My local homeschool groups have recently been discussing this issue, and I was surprised at how many people did not know all the high school diploma options (with Running Start) we have in WA state.

Calming Tea, none of this may be helpful to you! This is very specific to the laws of each state.

We don't get classes. We just get accountability, Counselling, and record keeping.
Transcripts, and an accredited diploma as well.

I'm curious about the accredited diploma part. Who is the accreditation through? Based on what you describe them offering, I can't fathom it being a widely recognized accredited diploma. Accreditation usually accompanies specific coursework/syllabi/instruction. Since they don't offer any instruction and let you choose whatever you want to use, what is the accreditation based on? I guess I would be skeptical that the diploma would hold any more validation than a printed at home diploma. (For example, Kolbe offers an accredited diploma, but they have complete courses w/syllabi, tests, grading support, etc.)

FWIW, we have never encountered any issue w/our made at home transcripts. Even at institutions where they have not been receptive of homeschoolers, w/testing affirming coursework (APs, SAT subject tests), we have had our transcripts accepted for admission while in high school. (High school admission w/coursework acceptance is actually more difficult than college admission.)

Ps's in certain areas won't accept high school credits from homeschoolers. That is where parents need to be fully aware of what is the norm in their area. I would want to know that the accreditation that your umbrella offers is actually accepted by the local public schools (which is only reveals anything of value if the schools normally reject homeschool coursework credits). If the ps's accept the umbrella transcripts while rejecting non-umbrella transcripts, then that would be positive for the cost.

Middle States Accredidation.

She worked very very hard to get this Accredidation, so as the kids get older I have to choose more from well known curriculum that uses tests such as CLP, BJU, Abeka, apologia, etc. They take their Accredidation very seriously and I gave to submit paperwork 3 times per year.

Ok. That would be a deal breaker for me. I would not want to use any of the ones you listed for high school coursework, especially for math/science.

There is some flexibility. I can use Jacobs, our states virtual classes, community college/duel enrollment, etc.

But if you are using your state's virtual classes or CC dual enrollment, you are already going to receive separate transcripts with validating grades.

FWIW, PSEO (post-secondary enrollment options) exists in your state and I know from my investigation into it (b/c we almost relocated there) that the universities had no issue w/my homemade transcripts w/test scores for ds's admission.

I don't want you to feel like I am trying to persuade you to not stay w/the umbrella, b/c that is not my intent. Helping you determine whether or not the benefits are real and worth the cost is. Only you can ultimately make that decision.

I know many Catholic homeschoolers that use Kolbe, Seton, or MODG b/c they want an accredited diploma. In my experience, my kids have had more educational freedom with no negative consequences from not having an accredited diploma. However, I also know homeschoolers that do it on their own and their kids' educational experiences are incredibly sub-par and their families using an accredited program would have benefited their children.

For a $100/month, I would expect a lot. I pay that for a tutor. That expense is more than worth it for me. Others might think along the lines of "why pay that for a tutor when you can enroll them in an online class for less?" I know what we are getting from the tutor and for our family it is worth it. It is a personal weighing of the pros/cons. That is what you have to decide for yourself about the umbrella.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

In many states, that a homeschooled student presented transcripts from an accredited umbrella school when trying to enroll in a public school would make no difference...the school still would not accept the credits.

In California, if the school were not a California-based school, there would *definitely* be no credits accepted (for the sake of any members who are in California :)). I owned an unaccredited "Private School Satellite Program" (PSP) for 16 years in California, and students who transferred into public (or private) schools had no problems, but that was because none of the paperwork said "home school" anywhere, and my cum files and transcripts looked like what the schools expected to see. An accredited school not based in California would have no merit at all with a public school.

My point is that accreditation may not count for beans, depending on the state CT lives in.

I go through an umbrella school but the only reaon is that they give me %$1500 a year to buy what ever curriculum and supplies I want, as well as paying for extra curriculars. I would never pay to be a part of one, but that said, I think everyone is different. If you feel it is worth it for your own piece of mind then it is worth it for you.

I think that is quite expensive for what you get, however I don't know where you're located and if that's the going rate. We were part of an umbrella school in TN, and had similar benefits. The cost was about $100 per child (I have 2.), and that included our Stanford 10 testing fee.

Just want to add that my oldest is a senior in high school and goes to a public school, even though I was a teacher for the district it has been helpful to have the guidance for college prep work and all, she's had the chance to take advanced placement classes, etc. and just getting through this year with SAT's and looking at college options (and what colleges may look for) along with what is out there for scholarships and financial aid, has been nice to have.

I know this is not from a home school perspective but wanted to say that yes it can be helpful. Also I know depending on the state, some home school kids may only have the option of getting their GED as their diploma (which bugs me), so I am not sure that applies to you or not and how you feel about that.

I go through an umbrella school and feel no invasion of privacy for home schooling my 2 younger ones, and if we are able to keep doing this I will stay with the umbrella school through high school- but I don't pay for it too. I also, would not worry so much about middle school but would look more closely into high school. But in the end it really will be about preference and what feels right for you and your family! :001_smile:

FairProspects, I'm assuming you are in WA state based on the Puget Sound location? You are right. Public high schools will not even consider a homeschool class to be valid towards public high school credit. Are you working with an ALE to earn the public school credit on your homeschool classes? Or is there another type of homeschool credit that public schools must accept? I'm curious, because other than ALE's & Running Start, I'm not aware of any other accredited program/classes that public schools must accept.

Also, do not forget that come 11th grade, all students, whether homeschooled, public school, or private school, are eligible for Running Start. There they can earn an AA tuition free, and receive a WA state public high school diploma from the college if they so choose. A WA state public high school diploma is available, for the asking, of any student who completes their AA.... one does NOT have to fulfill the public high school requirements unless they want their diploma from a particular public high school. The AA does not have to be completed in 2 years. It can take longer, but Running Start will only pay for the Jr. and Sr. years. Or, your dc's can take some of their classes through Running Start, some at home, and receive a homeschool diploma. These are other options for you to fall back on if you have to give up homeschooling in the high school years.

I'm sorry to butt in :tongue_smilie: if you are already aware of these options. My local homeschool groups have recently been discussing this issue, and I was surprised at how many people did not know all the high school diploma options (with Running Start) we have in WA state.

Thank you for the additional info about Running Start. I did know it was an option, but I was not aware that a WA state diploma was available through the program as well.

I am still concerned that Running Start will not be around by the time my kids need it though. I have had several homeschooling friends with high schoolers comment that they suspect it will be full tuition based by the time my kids are old enough to be eligible. :tongue_smilie:But maybe we'll have charter schools by then, so who knows!

I think I would only enroll during years when I wanted extensive feedback like this. (Or, do you have to enroll for an entire year? Can you enroll for a month, get the feedback you want, and then un-enroll?) I can see how it might be helpful if you have a child who is struggling & you need more help. For the high school years, you can get feedback for less than this by doing something like Lee Binz's Gold Care Club. (her website is homescholar.com).

I see several options for using the umbrella school, but reducing the cost:

1. Wait until you actually have a student in high school to pay for/use the service.

2. Use the service just for one student, and that will help you see how to "do it yourself" for the second student.

3. Use the service for just the last 2 years of high school for each student, when you will get the most "bang for your buck" use of counseling, an accredited diploma, transcript help, and college admissions help

I just wanted help getting through the high school and college process...

Its 1000 for two kids, 500 each. So it's really 4000 for one and 5000 for the younger, by graduation. Which is why I'm really re-thinking this...

We don't get classes. We just get accountability, Counselling, and record keeping... Transcripts, and an accredited diploma as well.

I would suggest preparing a list of questions to ask your umbrella school to see if it will be worth the price for you in high school or not. You may find the umbrella school doesn't provide the help you will most need in those last two years of high school, or that you would already be doing so much of the research yourself to match your student's needs, that the cost isn't worth it. For $100/month, *I* would be having those counselors do a ton of research for me!

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: high school:

- Do they offer suggestions on specific curriculum to match your student's needs/interests?

- Do they have ideas for free or low cost substitutes, or where to buy used?

- The school offers an accredited diploma; where does the umbrella school's accreditation come from? (accreditation is only as good as the group who does the accrediting)

- Do you have to be with the umbrella school all 4 years of high school to receive the accredited diploma?

- Does the umbrella school not accept classes/credits unless their specific curriculum choices are used? Or, what if the work was done before you hired the umbrella school -- will those previous classes/credits count?

- How easy is it to transfer high school credits to attend public high school, in case that becomes the desired/needed circumstance partway through the high school years?

- What about information, helps or suggestions about teaching study skills?

- How do they deal with "home-grown" courses (in which you create your own class)? Or do they even allow these on the transcript?

- What info or help do they provide about participating in high school extracurriculars, sports, or arts programs (such as band)?

- What information or research can they do for you in suggesting on-line / distance courses for high school? How are those credits incorporated into the transcript -- in other words, do THEY monitor and track with the provider of the on-line course on the student's progress and grades, or do you?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: testing:

- What info can they offer on SAT/ACT test prep?

- What do they suggest about *when* during high school to test?

- Is it part of their service to register your student for the SAT/ACT?

- Or do they walk you through the registration process?

- Do they advise your student take both the SAT and ACT? Why or why not?

- What advice do they offer about taking the tests multiple times? Can they tell you which colleges you are interested in view ALL test results?

- What about AP or honors courses? Which should your student do? Why?

- Do they register your student for AP testing? Or do they assist you in that process?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: college credit while in high school:

- Possibility of dual enrollment, and how it works in your state?

- What institutions offer dual enrollment to high school students?

- Can high school students earn an AA degree or vocational certificate through dual enrollment?

- Which do colleges in your state prefer to see on a transcript or ACCEPT as transfer credit: dual enrollment, AP tests, or CLEP tests?

- How open are colleges in your state to accept transfer credits?

- What about free, open-source college classes available for download? How are these counted for credit, or are they even acceptable for either high school or college credit?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: college:

- A timetable of what to do/when for college prep and admissions?

- Advice or helps about how to choose a college?

- Advice or helps about what to do/see/ask when visiting colleges?

- Help in writing admission application essays?

- Specifically make different transcripts to best match what different colleges emphasize or want to see?

- Does the umbrella school provide personalized information about pursuing specific fields, and record keeping specifically geared for your student's needs? For example: A special needs student? A sports student? (NCAA regulations must be followed all through high school for student eligibility to play/earn sports scholarship in college) An arts student? (portfolio needs) An engineering or medical field student? (advanced maths, labs, extra science, etc.)

- What about financial info/helps: Scholarships? Grants? Loans? Work study?

- What about info/helps re: FAFSA?

- What info and helps do they provide about finding and applying for college internships?

You may find that alternative resources will more specifically target your stated needs of help through high school and college -- and for less $$ -- than what the umbrella school can do for you. For example, here are a few resources:

- Lee Binz, Home Scholar

Website on homeschool high school, especially the topics of transcripts, recordkeeping, college admissions. The resources include: website articles (free), video tutorials (free), book ($$), and counseling ($$).

- Transcript Software

Transcripts are not difficult to make. There are several programs out there that track your hours and create a transcript for you. Or, use a free, downloadable template. Best of all, you can create a unique transcript for each college your student wants to apply to, and list your student's credits and accomplishments in the way each college will see your student most favorably.

- Record Keeping Methods

Keeping track is not hard. There are lots of free articles and websites, or books from the library specifically on homeschool high school record keeping.

- Local Homeschool Support

Looks like there are quite a few homeschool groups and supports in the Silicon Valley area. Check around and see if any offer an evening or weekend seminar, or has a website with articles on homeschooling high school in YOUR state, on all those topics you want to know more about.

- Well Trained Mind High School Board

There is a wealth of information on all the high school and college topics from many BTDT moms -- a number who live in your state! Also LOADS of past threads on all of these topics. You can often get fast, free, and specific counseling/mentoring that is just as good if not better than what a paid service offers. :)

You sound like you do an awful lot of research yourself, so that would be my concern about using the umbrella school -- what are they providing for you that you aren't already providing for yourself? It can certainly save you a lot of time in high school if the umbrella school will do not just the transcript / record keeping, but do a lot of that research FOR you...

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! And if you have any specific questions on high school topics, pop on over and ask, or try a tag search or subject search on your question -- loads of great past experience on the high school board! :) Warmest regards, Lori

Edited by Lori D.

Thank you so much for taking the time! Basically going through your list this umbrella school provides every single positive you described- Everything. Counselling, record keeping, transcripts, middle states Accredidation (accepted at every university in the US), SAT, ACT, all college admissions time tables and Counselling with one on one phone calls to ensure its getting done, scholarship finding and preparedness (our state has a state scholarship program), they accept all major publishers - basically if it's in rainbow resource they probably accept it though I have to get approval if its really off the beaten track, and she accepts, helps, and and counsels for dual enrollment, as well as working with and accepting any outside classes.

I see several options for using the umbrella school, but reducing the cost:

1. Wait until you actually have a student in high school to pay for/use the service.

2. Use the service just for one student, and that will help you see how to "do it yourself" for the second student.

3. Use the service for just the last 2 years of high school for each student, when you will get the most "bang for your buck" use of counseling, an accredited diploma, transcript help, and college admissions help

I would suggest preparing a list of questions to ask your umbrella school to see if it will be worth the price for you in high school or not. You may find the umbrella school doesn't provide the help you will most need in those last two years of high school, or that you would already be doing so much of the research yourself to match your student's needs, that the cost isn't worth it. For $100/month, *I* would be having those counselors do a ton of research for me!

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: high school:

- Do they offer suggestions on specific curriculum to match your student's needs/interests?

- Do they have ideas for free or low cost substitutes, or where to buy used?

- The school offers an accredited diploma; where does the umbrella school's accreditation come from? (accreditation is only as good as the group who does the accrediting)

- Do you have to be with the umbrella school all 4 years of high school to receive the accredited diploma?

- Does the umbrella school not accept classes/credits unless their specific curriculum choices are used? Or, what if the work was done before you hired the umbrella school -- will those previous classes/credits count?

- How easy is it to transfer high school credits to attend public high school, in case that becomes the desired/needed circumstance partway through the high school years?

- What about information, helps or suggestions about teaching study skills?

- How do they deal with "home-grown" courses (in which you create your own class)? Or do they even allow these on the transcript?

- What info or help do they provide about participating in high school extracurriculars, sports, or arts programs (such as band)?

- What information or research can they do for you in suggesting on-line / distance courses for high school? How are those credits incorporated into the transcript -- in other words, do THEY monitor and track with the provider of the on-line course on the student's progress and grades, or do you?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: testing:

- What info can they offer on SAT/ACT test prep?

- What do they suggest about *when* during high school to test?

- Is it part of their service to register your student for the SAT/ACT?

- Or do they walk you through the registration process?

- Do they advise your student take both the SAT and ACT? Why or why not?

- What advice do they offer about taking the tests multiple times? Can they tell you which colleges you are interested in view ALL test results?

- What about AP or honors courses? Which should your student do? Why?

- Do they register your student for AP testing? Or do they assist you in that process?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: college credit while in high school:

- Possibility of dual enrollment, and how it works in your state?

- What institutions offer dual enrollment to high school students?

- Can high school students earn an AA degree or vocational certificate through dual enrollment?

- Which do colleges in your state prefer to see on a transcript or ACCEPT as transfer credit: dual enrollment, AP tests, or CLEP tests?

- How open are colleges in your state to accept transfer credits?

- What about free, open-source college classes available for download? How are these counted for credit, or are they even acceptable for either high school or college credit?

What help or advice does the umbrella school counselor offer re: college:

- A timetable of what to do/when for college prep and admissions?

- Advice or helps about how to choose a college?

- Advice or helps about what to do/see/ask when visiting colleges?

- Help in writing admission application essays?

- Specifically make different transcripts to best match what different colleges emphasize or want to see?

- Does the umbrella school provide personalized information about pursuing specific fields, and record keeping specifically geared for your student's needs? For example: A special needs student? A sports student? (NCAA regulations must be followed all through high school for student eligibility to play/earn sports scholarship in college) An arts student? (portfolio needs) An engineering or medical field student? (advanced maths, labs, extra science, etc.)

- What about financial info/helps: Scholarships? Grants? Loans? Work study?

- What about info/helps re: FAFSA?

- What info and helps do they provide about finding and applying for college internships?

You may find that alternative resources will more specifically target your stated needs of help through high school and college -- and for less $$ -- than what the umbrella school can do for you. For example, here are a few resources:

- Lee Binz, Home Scholar

Website on homeschool high school, especially the topics of transcripts, recordkeeping, college admissions. The resources include: website articles (free), video tutorials (free), book ($$), and counseling ($$).

- Transcript Software

Transcripts are not difficult to make. There are several programs out there that track your hours and create a transcript for you. Or, use a free, downloadable template. Best of all, you can create a unique transcript for each college your student wants to apply to, and list your student's credits and accomplishments in the way each college will see your student most favorably.

- Record Keeping Methods

Keeping track is not hard. There are lots of free articles and websites, or books from the library specifically on homeschool high school record keeping.

- Local Homeschool Support

Looks like there are quite a few homeschool groups and supports in the Silicon Valley area. Check around and see if any offer an evening or weekend seminar, or has a website with articles on homeschooling high school in YOUR state, on all those topics you want to know more about.

- Well Trained Mind High School Board

There is a wealth of information on all the high school and college topics from many BTDT moms -- a number who live in your state! Also LOADS of past threads on all of these topics. You can often get fast, free, and specific counseling/mentoring that is just as good if not better than what a paid service offers. :)

You sound like you do an awful lot of research yourself, so that would be my concern about using the umbrella school -- what are they providing for you that you aren't already providing for yourself? It can certainly save you a lot of time in high school if the umbrella school will do not just the transcript / record keeping, but do a lot of that research FOR you...

BEST of luck, whatever you decide! And if you have any specific questions on high school topics, pop on over and ask, or try a tag search or subject search on your question -- loads of great past experience on the high school board! :) Warmest regards, Lori