Menu

Chicago? Really?

So the news at 9 out of Chicago was just on, and the news reporter was saying how they "Will get high winds on Lake Michigan from Hurricane Sandy"

Really? High winds from the arctic front maybe, but last I checked (two minutes ago) the hurricane wasn't going to be anywhere near Chicago. :lol:

Throw tomatoes if I'm wrong, but....really?!

National Weather Service seems to think so:

NORTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE ON AND NEAR LAKE MICHIGAN THIS

AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT AS THE REMNANTS OF HURRICANE SANDY MOVE

WESTWARD ONSHORE ACROSS THE NEW JERSEY SHORES. WINDS COULD GUST

AS HIGH AS 50 MPH NEAR THE INDIANA LAKE MICHIGAN SHORE LATE THIS

AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. WIND GUSTS COULD INCREASE FARTHER TO

NEAR 60 MPH LATE TONIGHT NEAR THE LAKE SHORES. THESE STRONG

NORTHERLY WINDS WILL ALLOW WAVES TO QUICKLY BUILD ACROSS THE

SOUTHERN END OF THE LAKE...WITH WAVE HEIGHTS REACHING 18 TO 25

FEET BY LATE TONIGHT. THESE LARGE WAVES WILL LIKELY IMPACT AREAS

IMMEDIATELY NEAR THE LAKE...INCLUDING LAKE SHORE FLOODING AND

BEACH EROSION.

We could have up to two-story tall waves crashing down on the lakefront - including Lake Shore Drive. Yes, the winds are reaching far enough to really kick up waves on the Great Lakes.

:eek:

Oh! Maybe I will be taking the Edens Expressway instead.

Edited by MBM

My mom just called me with the latest weather updates. We've been out of town and out of touch, so I wasn't aware. We are in a high wind advisory and it's supposed to be NUTS this afternoon...tree limbs down, etc. We are on the east side of the state near Lake Huron.

I've decided to put our school work on hold and run to the store. We ate the house down to the nubbins getting ready to go on vacation, and the cupboards are bare except for my home canning. We've got the generator to keep the electronics on our wood boiler going so heat won't be a problem, and we'll also keep the fridge and freezer up and running. But, I'd really like to have some lamp oil in the house and some other groceries as well. I'd also like to get laundry from the trip done up and I'm out of laundry soap and ingredients to make it. So, off to the store with me.

Faith

Yes, but that was because the path of the hurricane crossed your area, correct? I'm 150 miles from the coast (TX) and we should have been in the area that got a lot of wind and rain from IKE (cat. 4) and got nothing. Hurricane Rita was a cat 5, and again we had blue skies. Sandy is barely a 1, so Chicago seemed a bit out of her reach.

But that's ok. It's breakfast time, so I'll go eat my humble pie made from crow. :D But I'm eating it w/ lots of chocolate!

This image from 8:30 EDT this morning looks like the outer bands are pretty near Chicago already. We got quite the winds in GA, and it was never anywhere near us.

Wow, that's an amazing picture! We're under the outer bands now according to that image (explains where the sun went, heh), but no wind yet. Under a wind advisory later today though.

Beautiful but chilly day here; a tad blustery. They are forecasting winds of 50-60 miles per hour later today/tomorrow. The lakeshore flooding warning extends from today until the 31st. I bet Lake Shore Drive could be closed. We just visited downtown last week and there were still a lot of boats in the harbors . . . I am guessing a lot of boat owners may scramble to pull their boats out. I know sometimes there is a lot of hype over storms, but I think this one is going to do a lot of damage.

Yes, but that was because the path of the hurricane crossed your area, correct? I'm 150 miles from the coast (TX) and we should have been in the area that got a lot of wind and rain from IKE (cat. 4) and got nothing. Hurricane Rita was a cat 5, and again we had blue skies. Sandy is barely a 1, so Chicago seemed a bit out of her reach.

But that's ok. It's breakfast time, so I'll go eat my humble pie made from crow. :D But I'm eating it w/ lots of chocolate!

No, we're in MO now, like 900 miles from the coast. We were in the south for Gustav and Ike, much closer to the action.

I remember Ike as I never thought I would see a hurricane in the midwest. Wow that hit Ohio as a crazy storm. We didn't have power for a week.

We are a good hour's drive inland from the lake, so no biggie for us. Even downtown Chicago - no biggie. It is just the actual lakefront that will get socked - Lake Michigan is one big puddle! Once the winds whip across it those waves will be huge!

At least it is not cold enough for them to freeze, right?