Menu

Spelling.. does a program like this exist?

DragonflyAcademy

I have yet to find a spelling program that I feel is worth it's salt..

We have tried teacher directed spelling..

All About Spelling (which I think is very good)

Phonic Road

We have tried Student directed spelling

Soaring with Spelling

BJU

Abeka

Wordly Wise

Steck Vaugn

The problem with the teacher directed programs is that they take too much time.. I have 4 kiddos to manage.. and I cannot devote the time or energy into them... My fault.. yes.. totally...

The problem with the student directed ones are they they really seem to gloss over the spelling..

I loved the ease of SwS.. but felt that the daily activities lacked for spelling practice and my kids were not retaining the words..

This year I tried BJU spelling and feel that it is even worse...

Does a spelling program exist that is largely student directed.. but that actually offers daily work that focuses on the spelling.. as in.. write missed words X times.. etc..?

or do I just need to make my own out of the lists I have in BJU...?

(for kids in upper elementary.. 3rd, 6th)

We use aas with two kids and aar with one. Yes, it's a hassle with five kids to deal with and takes a lot of time but learning how to spell is a skill they will always have. I've always been bad at spelling and don't want that for my kids.

Since you already have and like the program what about doing abbreviated aas lessons with student workbooks as a supplement? I'm finding that some of the lessons are excessively long, they could easily be shortened. You could also spread them out more - a lesson once every few weeks with workbooks in between.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S) is intended to be done independently, although it doesn't require the children to write misspelled words x number of times. There's no reason you couldn't require it, of course. :-)

Anyway, the children use and analyze and syllibicate and alphabetize and more with their spelling words. By the time they get to the end of the week, they're intimately acquainted with their spelling list. :)

Rod and staff spelling is a nice balance. I was at AAS level 5 this year and we are taking a break from it. Rod and staff does go overrules. I particularly like that it mixes up words that do and don't follow the rule in the same lesson. This makes it a little more challenging than in AAS where all the word lists of a particular lesson follow one or two basic rules.

Spelling by Sound and Structure (R&S) is intended to be done independently, although it doesn't require the children to write misspelled words x number of times. There's no reason you couldn't require it, of course. :-)

Anyway, the children use and analyze and syllibicate and alphabetize and more with their spelling words. By the time they get to the end of the week, they're intimately acquainted with their spelling list. :)

This is what dd12 has switched to this year after doing Spalding for several years. It is working great!! If I had a time restraint and could not do the Spalding program with dd9 R&S is the only other things I would use.

I think Spelling City will allow you to type in your spelling list and then it will make a set of practice exercises for you. Abcteach may do this as well.

For our family this year, I have typed up the spelling rules on little "flash cards" and we do the lessons together, 2nd through 6th. I go over the rule, then offer examples on the whiteboard. The 2nd grader would only be expected to try and remember the easiest ones, the 3rd grader more, and the 6th grader gets the challenge words. ;) But then again, I don't really do too well on the whole "they can spell it later part". :glare:

no, it really won't work..I've tried.. It is just way too teacher directed for us..

Rod & Staff has been my spelling answer. It requires little from me, but requires the student to really work with the words. I'm juggling 5 and even spending 15 minutes on spelling was too much. I wish I would've tried R&S when my oldest was in 2nd.

I think you could combine your kids for spelling. Keep in mind I haven't done this so I'm just playing it out in my mind. But, it is what I would try if I was in your situation. :D

Every child studies the same rule, but you would have a different list for each kid (words that follow the rule but on their spelling level). Get your list by searching the internet or Spelling Power or Spelling Plus. Play spelling activities together and just adjust the activities to make it work for both spellers.

If you want an actually program to buy I suggest Spelling Power since it's short and sweet and will only take about 10 minutes of your time per kid and they do their studying/activities on their own. Sequential Spelling has a CD (separate purchase) so the kids can listen and test and check their own answers. Spelling Plus is pretty kid directed too. These last two programs lack activities.

How to Teach Spelling with the How to Spell books are independent and rule based. In fact with the how to spell workbooks you don't really NEED the HTTS manual, but it is useful for dictation exercises and word lists.

:iagree: Just be aware that the workbook numbers do not correspond to grade.

On the flipside, if you are willing to work alone with the manual for a bit, you might be able to devise a spelling program for all the kids and still tailor the words and dictation to their level. My suggestion would be to read past chapter three in the TM and up through the chapters that would include your 6th grader. (I don't have my copy handy, or I would tell you where that falls.)

How to Teach Spelling with the How to Spell books are independent and rule based. In fact with the how to spell workbooks you don't really NEED the HTTS manual, but it is useful for dictation exercises and word lists.

:iagree: I use this with my visual learners. I use Phonetic Zoo with my audio learner which he seems to like well enough. I personally prefer HTTS (probably because I am a visual learner). One thing I really like about Phonetic Zoo though is every fifth lesson you give the child 15 spelling word that he/she has had trouble spelling in their other work.

Edited by kayinpa
correct spelling errors

We love AAS too (it's one of the few things I've managed to do consistently), but...and I hesitate to say this out loud....but...

I'm looking into ACE Word Building 4 for my DD to work on after my new baby (#5) comes (due in a week). It's independent, seems to be pretty phonetic, and will both review what we've already covered in AAS to date and take her further.

Just throwing this out there. :)

What about the Phonetic Zoo by IEW? Isn't that one independent? I'm not sure of the ages for that.

My 9 yr old just started using IEW Phonetic Spelling Zoo A this year. Otha's worked out well for us. Very independent he listens to the lesson(rule) each day and spells out the word. He works on each spelling list until he gets them all correct two days in a row. I highly recommend it.

What about the Phonetic Zoo by IEW? Isn't that one independent? I'm not sure of the ages for that.

Yep, I would definitely look into Phonetic Zoo. I think it might start at a 3rd or 4th grade level (?) but you'd have to check. I believe it's an audio lesson and the kids collect cards with animals on them for each spelling rule they master, thus collecting their "phonetic zoo." I think my boys would like it and I plan to consider it when I think they are ready to use a program like that.

Like some others, my solution was R&S. Independent, focuses on how and why of spelling, teaches rules very similar to those in AAS. I've been very happy with it.

There are 3 sections to each lesson, so you have an extra day in there that the kids can study words in whatever way you want. We combine sections B and C right now (grade 3 section C is quick), so Monday he does A, Tuesday B and C, Wednesday and Thursday study words on his own, Friday test. I'm only needed for the test.

We love Apples & Pears. It definitely requires parental involvement, but it is open-and-go so there is no prep time. Most of it involves spelling words and sentences from dictation. I almost always prop up the spelling book and call out the words/sentences while I'm unloading the dishwasher or cooking. So even though I need to participate, I don't have to be sitting right there-- that makes a big difference for me.

I haven't seen Sequential Spelling listed yet in this thread. It is NOT direct phonics, if that is what you are looking for, but it is based on patterns and structures. If you get the DVDs it is totally independent (and all you need is the DVD, you can make the student response books easily out of a spiral notebook by folding the pages). :hurray:

Check out AVKO's website for more information about their program. I don't think I am dyslexic, and this is how I wish someone would have taught me spelling!! It's working really well for DD10, who spells horribly in context but fair-to-middling on a spelling test. She'd already been through two levels of AAS, and three years of spelling in her public school classes. We started her on level one, which is deceptively simple but includes more complex words built from a base word (ex. base word is "all" and complex word is "installment").

Have you looked at Spelling Power yet? We just started the program this year and I love it. The nice thing is that I only spend 5 minutes going over words with dd (that is what they tell you to do) and then she takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to do her corrections. Spelling takes a max of 15 minutes a day. I love that it goes over the phonics "rules", They say to have the kids write them out but we just read it over each day and that seems to work for her. I am so glad I found this.

I second the recommendation for Sequential Spelling. There is no reason why the kids could not be working from the same level. But note that there is pre-test to help with placement. Or if you want to have them use different books, the older kids could lead the spelling lessons for the younger ones. I have not tried the DVDs.

I had both of them do lesson 1 of level 1.. and there was a lot of eye rolling.. lol..I'll use the free download until our materials arrive

I do think that this will work.. as my 6th grader is awful in spelling.. and we've tried so many different programs over the years.. AAS, Phonic Road, SwS, Spectrum....(not all in 1 year of course.. sticking with a program for a year)