Menu

Being around lots of people makes me dislike people

I have yet to see much of a difference in the behavior of people at Target vs. Wal-Mart. :confused:

I think the biggest difference from Target to Wal-Mart is that Target is so much less crowded (at least in my area) that even if people were rude, I wouldn't notice. On average, in the middle of the day, only one or two checkers are at the registers at Target. At Wal-Mart, there's only two in the middle of the night. I love Target because I can shop in peace, any time of day.

On the Target vs. Walmart thing, do you think it's the location that makes a difference? Our Walmart here is in a location where it will attract the kind of shoppers that make me want to run screaming from the store (and I have!), whereas the Target is in a "better," nicer area and is far, far more pleasant to shop in. Is that their demographic plan, do you think? All but one of the Walmarts I can think of in the area are in unpleasant neighborhoods, while the Targets tend to be in nicer neighborhoods. I wonder if it's like that in most places...

Mu husband's parents threw their trash out of car windows all the time when he was growing up. I cannot believe anyone thinks that is normal behavior.

Yes, when I go to an outdoor event, I go in nice weather, and I want to enjoy the fresh air. Same with outdoor dining. I am limited to indoors because outdoor smoking is still allowed.

Smoking -- tobacco is big in the South. I remember when people used to smoke in department stores.

Do people smoke and litter less in the north?

I think I live pretty near your area and in a rural part of Virginia. Nothing gets to me more than stopping somewhere outdoorsy and smelling cigarette smoke instead of fresh air. We get tons of litter around here and it must be from locals. I just don't understand. How hard can it be to throw your trash away at home, or in the nearest trash can. We do have trash cans around our little town, but people still throw their cans and fast food containers out their car windows.

Edited by nestof3

We live in WA state (in a farming town near the middle of the state) and I would fall over if I saw someone smoking at a pumpkin patch. It's been forever since I've seen someone smoking in common areas. They are good about abiding by the rules on this issue, or less people smoke, not sure which.

Isn't Washington a more health-conscious state overall than some of those in the South? I love the scenery in the country, but it is so difficult finding restaurants that don't overcook vegetables or serve healthy options. VA finally passed a law banning smoking in restaurants. Now, I am not limited to two restaurants to frequent. Some other public areas have become non-smoking with smoking limited to small areas.

I've seen people who try to light up at parks. :glare: I always ask them to put it out. Some do, others just glare at me and keep on puffing.

There was once we took the kids to a Colbie Caillait concert at our amusement park. The area was PLASTERED with no smoking signs and directing people to a designated smoking area. The lady next to us lit up - NEXT to my kids and myself (I was a few months from due with a baby). My husband asked her to put it out and she had the nerve to tell him how rude he was. :001_huh:

I also detest smoking right in front of a door so I have to walk through a plume of smoke to get into a store. :glare:

People are always congregating around the front of the library. It is so annoying! We hold our breath going in and are bombarded going out. I like hospitals -- they limit smoking around the building as well.

I think smoking in public is more frowned upon and more commonly illegal/against facility rules here. It's seen as less of a personal right and more of a public health issue. As for litter, no, we have PLENTY of that :glare:

It annoys me how smokers do not think throwing their butts out on the ground constitutes as littering. One winter, my husband cleaned a parking lot for extra money. Most of the litter was cigarette butts, and it took quite a while to clean it all up.

The smoking thing is timely for me, I went to the post office today and a guy was out front, on the lawn, smoking. He had just blown a big puff of smoke, wind in my direction, when I walked out with my boys. He apologized, and started backing up, and I was like "it's fine, really." we were outside, he wasn't blocking the sidewalk, it was a random wind gust, we aren't going to drop over dead, you know? Poor guy was so apologetic, I guess he's been chewed out a time or three.:lol:

I get that cigarette smoke is not pleasant smelling, but neither is baby poo, Dog doo or car exhaust. I have friends who just freak out if a smoker is visible, and I just don't get it. Maybe my nose is defective? :tongue_smilie: then again, we lived in Asia with toxic yellow dust- give me a little cigarette smoke over that mess any day!

Now littering, I hear ya!

Hm, has then been fairly recent?

Yes. We moved to NC in 2003 from CA and were befuddled when asked smoking or non in restaurants. They have since passed smoking bans for restaurants and bars.... that was in 2010 that it went into effect. We live in a very health conscience area of the state and I go for months without seeing anyone who smokes.. we were at the state fair on the weekend and I had the sudden reminder! But it is so much much better than when we first moved to NC. Many of the old tobacco mills and farms have been repurposed.

The smoking thing is timely for me, I went to the post office today and a guy was out front, on the lawn, smoking. He had just blown a big puff of smoke, wind in my direction, when I walked out with my boys. He apologized, and started backing up, and I was like "it's fine, really." we were outside, he wasn't blocking the sidewalk, it was a random wind gust, we aren't going to drop over dead, you know? Poor guy was so apologetic, I guess he's been chewed out a time or three.:lol:

I get that cigarette smoke is not pleasant smelling, but neither is baby poo, Dog doo or car exhaust. I have friends who just freak out if a smoker is visible, and I just don't get it. Maybe my nose is defective? :tongue_smilie: then again, we lived in Asia with toxic yellow dust- give me a little cigarette smoke over that mess any day!

For a lot of people it is not a huge problem just a yucky smell possible toxic inhalation. For a mom of 2 asthmatics it can mean having an asthma attack. Also its the fact that some other person can cause me to have to breath their known cancer causing agent in order to enter a building or enjoy playing at a park with my children is not right. They have the right to kill themselves, they do not have the right to kill my children with their addiction.

If I choose to own a pet or have a baby, I accept the unpleasant odors associated. Also, the odors are not as invasive to me. I never place the diaper up to my nose to sniff, and that's what happens when the smoke drifts into my face. I do complain about horrible smelling exhaust fumes. A properly-running vehicle using standard gas does not stink like diesel or an improperly-running vehicle.

Exactly. It puts me into a rage really to think someone finds it ok that people spew their toxic cancer causing vile fumes in my face in the name of personal freedom. What the heck ever. :glare:

I'm actually surprised that smoking around children has not been addressed as a form of child abuse. I realize it is a slippery slope with food and everything else that can be considered, but I just hate seeing parents blowing smoke in their children's faces. I lived around smokers who smoked in the car with the windows rolled up and in the house. I cannot help but wonder what this did to me. My mom even smoked with me in the womb.

I live in NC and we have very strict public smoking laws. I rarely see anyone smoking.

Good. I remember being there in the late 90's, and people were still smoking in department stores.

I live in Va. Beach, and every day when I drive, I am behind more than one person smoking in their vehicle. So much for having the windows down. :glare:

In group settings, if smoking is not prohibited, it is very prevalent here. Last time I was at a baseball game (which I stopped b/c of smoking) people were smoking all around us. Same for amusement parks, carnivals, etc.

I'm actually surprised that smoking around children has not been addressed as a form of child abuse. I realize it is a slippery slope with food and everything else that can be considered, but I just hate seeing parents blowing smoke in their children's faces. I lived around smokers who smoked in the car with the windows rolled up and in the house. I cannot help but wonder what this did to me. My mom even smoked with me in the womb.

:iagree: The difference between dirty diaper stink or whatever is that smoking is toxic and cancer causing. I don't even understand how one can compare them. Many of us can NOT BREATHE around smoking.

I know how you feel. My children get really excited when public school starts again for the year cause they know we will start going places again. My husband works a lot so I usually take the kids out myself during the week when places are less crowded, it's just easier to keep track of the 5 of them and lines are shorter for things.

Other than the litter, rudeness and smoking the language of people really bothers me. I can't believe what people think it's okay to say around children.

On the Target vs. Walmart thing, do you think it's the location that makes a difference? Our Walmart here is in a location where it will attract the kind of shoppers that make me want to run screaming from the store (and I have!), whereas the Target is in a "better," nicer area and is far, far more pleasant to shop in. Is that their demographic plan, do you think? All but one of the Walmarts I can think of in the area are in unpleasant neighborhoods, while the Targets tend to be in nicer neighborhoods. I wonder if it's like that in most places...

I don't think location matters. In my very diverse neighborhood, Target and Walmart are across the street from one another. The shopping experiences are still VERY different. In Target, I linger. I go to Walmart when I HAVE to and get out as fast as I can.

People are always congregating around the front of the library. It is so annoying! We hold our breath going in and are bombarded going out. I like hospitals -- they limit smoking around the building as well.

I took my son to his pediatrician today. The building is near a hospital. For the first time, I noticed signs declaring it a smoke-free campus. I take that to mean you have to drive off the property to smoke. Nope, I had to go past a lady in scrubs hiding behind this big metal thingy to smoke. :glare:

Good. I remember being there in the late 90's, and people were still smoking in department stores.

I live in Va. Beach, and every day when I drive, I am behind more than one person smoking in their vehicle. So much for having the windows down. :glare:

In group settings, if smoking is not prohibited, it is very prevalent here. Last time I was at a baseball game (which I stopped b/c of smoking) people were smoking all around us. Same for amusement parks, carnivals, etc.

In TN, thankfully, restaurants are all non-smoking. I do see people smoking in their cars, and unfortunately our neighbors smoke outside, so I can't open the windows.

We went to a Braves game in June and were at the back of a section, so there was a lot of smoke from people on the balcony area. And it's always miserable if we go to a fair.

I don't think location matters. In my very diverse neighborhood, Target and Walmart are across the street from one another. The shopping experiences are still VERY different. In Target, I linger. I go to Walmart when I HAVE to and get out as fast as I can.

I have the same experience. We have a Target right across the street from a Walmart. I love the Target and happily stroll around for as long as I have time available. I try never to go to the Walmart, but on the rare occasion that I have to get something there, I pop into the one across the street and am shocked about how different the shopping experience is there. VERY different and not pleasant at all. The clutter, the customers, the workers... all of it. I feel like I'm in a different world than the Target across the street. It has probably been a year or two since I have stepped foot in a Walmart. I avoid them like the plague.

A woman was smoking at a neighborhood playground. I asked her to move away from the children because one of my children was going to have an asthma attack if exposed to the cigarette smoke. She looked really surprised but eagerly agreed to move. She moved about 5 feet and stood under the monkey bars. :001_huh::angry::smash: She really looked like she was doing a nice thing. She kind of appeared mentally unprepared to fully understand/comprehend the situation, but I can't say for sure what was going on. I had to get my 4 kids and leave. Fast.

For the record- I am completely against smoking in public/community places (playgrounds) not just because one of my kids has asthma. I just thought that was the easiest way to get her to stop, but it didn't work. I really don't want my son to feel that there is something wrong with him because of his asthma and I was so very mad that I had verbalized my request politely and yet we had to quickly leave the playground. Ugh!