Menu

Being around lots of people makes me dislike people

We went to a large pumpkin patch yesterday. The weather was beautiful so it was really crowded.

I don't understand how people can smoke when there are "no smoking" signs everywhere.

I REALLY don't understand litter. What kind of person, walking through a corn maze, thinks, "Mmm, that bottle of water sure was good. Guess I'll just drop my bottle right here where I'm standing."

There was a hay ride. This normal looking guy was at the front of the line with two little girls (I'd say both under 10). The wagon pulls up and he and the girls sit at the very back of the wagon instead of walking to the front. Every person that got on the wagon had to literally step over them to get on. Then, as we're riding, one of the little girls starts to fall off. He holds on to her just enough to dangle her from the end and laugh. It is a moving vehicle, you stupid arse!

I've had my fill of the general public for a few days.

We went to a large pumpkin patch yesterday. The weather was beautiful so it was really crowded.

I don't understand how people can smoke when there are "no smoking" signs everywhere.

I REALLY don't understand litter. What kind of person, walking through a corn maze, thinks, "Mmm, that bottle of water sure was good. Guess I'll just drop my bottle right here where I'm standing."

There was a hay ride. This normal looking guy was at the front of the line with two little girls (I'd say both under 10). The wagon pulls up and he and the girls sit at the very back of the wagon instead of walking to the front. Every person that got on the wagon had to literally step over them to get on. Then, as we're riding, one of the little girls starts to fall off. He holds on to her just enough to dangle her from the end and laugh. It is a moving vehicle, you stupid arse!

I remember having the same thoughts the last time we did a pumpkin patch/hayride day. My Dc now don't really care to have the hayride b/c they feel the same way. If we get pumpkins we just go to our favorite garden center during the day when everyone else is in school.

Well I am one of those people. I like the aisle seat so I arrive early to get the aisle seat.

I hate lateness. :D

Yup. The hay ride people sat at the back on purpose. That's where they wanted to sit.

I'll sit on the aisle on purpose, too, with the kids. Doesn't bother me one bit to move aside for people to get to the middle. If it's not stadium seating, it's the only way the kids can see, in the event that someone tall sits in front of them.

But the smoking and littering would have bothered me--esp. if there were signs posted about smoking. If there were no signs, then I wouldn't have liked it, but I wouldn't have gotten upset over it.

Edited by Garga

Don't you love it when you go to your children's concerts or plays and the people that arrived early alll sit next to the aisle? Later arrivals must cllimb over lots of people.

If there are not assigned seats, I get there early so we can be on/near the aisle. We do what we can to make it easy for people to pass. If assigned seats, I try to purchase on the aisle too.

Don't you love it when you go to your children's concerts or plays and the people that arrived early alll sit next to the aisle? Later arrivals must cllimb over lots of people.

:confused:Isn't that why we make an effort to get there early? So that we can get the seats we want?:confused:

Another multipottytripping mama.

well, it makes more sense to fill the rows in completely. people who come later sometimes cant find seats with their kids because people wont fill in the rows. which drives me nuts. i dont care if i'm late or early, i want whats best for the most people

but i also generally hate people, crowds, and festivals. and live in the south.

I've made a conscious decision to not let it bother me. I had too many outings spoiled by others' behavior and finally decided to make it a "me" issue because I can change me, but I sure can't change them.

Smoking is not something I enjoy being around, but it wouldn't ruin the day for me. I just practice avoidance when at all possible.

Litter bugs me, so I pick it up. It makes me feel better, and again, while I marvel at the dorks that think they can drop their water bottles and wrappers where they want and *someone* will pick it up, I make it something *I* can do. Besides, we own a business where people will litter and it always does my heart good to see someone else not step over trash, but pick it up, and throw it away.

Seating on the hayride, while it's annoying to have to step over them, they were there first. The dad sounds like a winner. Hey, but you'll probably never see him again!

All this to say, I find our outings much more pleasant if I keep focused on my own family. Deep breaths :D.

:confused:Isn't that why we make an effort to get there early? So that we can get the seats we want?:confused:

:iagree: I have no issue with letting people in and out, but I want that aisle seat! :D Anyone can show up early to get the seats they want.

I've made a conscious decision to not let it bother me. I had too many outings spoiled by others' behavior and finally decided to make it a "me" issue because I can change me, but I sure can't change them..

Me too! That said, I do try to do outings during school hours whenever possible because behavior doesn't bother me, but fighting large crowds is definitely not my favorite things. I rarely see people smoke in my parts in public places, so that's not an issue here.

:iagree: I have no issue with letting people in and out, but I want that aisle seat! :D Anyone can show up early to get the seats they want.

Me too! That said, I do try to do outings during school hours whenever possible because behavior doesn't bother me, but fighting large crowds is definitely not my favorite things. I rarely see people smoke in my parts in public places, so that's not an issue here.

Me too! While I'm trying to be all zen, I do know my limitations :D.

If there are not assigned seats, I get there early so we can be on/near the aisle. We do what we can to make it easy for people to pass. If assigned seats, I try to purchase on the aisle too.

:iagree:

I get panicky sitting in the middle of a row- I need to feel like I have a quick "out." I arrive early specifically to get the aisle seat.

I also have to have the very end seat on a hayride if it's pulled by a tractor- I get very ill from the fumes.

But littering and smoking? Nope- not me! :D

I get the wanting to sit on the aisle thing. I like it, too, for ease of getting out. But, the one place it drives me nuts is at church. People sit at the end of every aisle and my family of 8 has to crawl over everyone. Fortunately, we don't have to leave with our youngest as much anymore, but the climbing over kneeling people or disturbing them because the little one has to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW makes me crazy.

Well I am one of those people. I like the aisle seat so I arrive early to get the aisle seat.

You can get a better view and/or better pictures from an aisle seat. BUT you will have to deal with everyone crawling over their legs and stepping on their feet, so, punishment enough? :D

That's what we do too.

I am chronically early. But I've never complained to get up and allow people passage.

I also try to avoid "people" as much as possible :lol:

I arrive early so I can get an aisle seat. It is my preference and if the seating is not assigned I will take the seat I want.

We were once at a movie theatre and we arrived early to get the seats we wanted. The theatre filled up and a couple of minutes before it was supposed to start an employee asked my dh if we would all shift over one space so there would be 2 seats together. Dh politely told him we would not be moving. We arrived early to get the seats we wanted and were not about to be penalized because someone else decided to arrive 2 minutes before it starts.

I am also one of those people and I make no apologies for it. There is a claustrophobia issue. We get there early so we can sit near the aisle. I do my best to let people get by and have the kids do the same. But I'm not sitting in the middle of the row.

I do sit near the aisle. I have a small bladder and lots of little kids. Sitting in the middle makes things VERY inconvenient, even for those who sit near the aisle. I do teach my kids to move and let people out/in, though.

OP, I feel the same way every time I leave my house. :lol:

I will say that smoking at kids' sporting events makes me see red. People who smoke on school property next to pregnant women, little kids, and kids running at soccer really, really ticks me off.

I'm one of those people who sit on the end, and I will move for you to get in.

Unfortunately, this is necessary because of the number of people who do not understand the dynamics of perfume usage. They drive me out.

I totally get it, OP. I work on an airplane and see all kinds of head-scratching behavior.

Mostly I'm amused, occasionally I'm annoyed, and rarely I am wondering if I'm Truman existing in some fake-reality world where everyone is in on the joke except for me (because there's no way some of these people are for real LOL).

This is reason I don't go to Walmart.

:lol::lol::lol: I feel the same way. I'm tired of listening to people scream at their kids, ram me with carts, swear up and down the aisles, let their kids run like screaming banchees all over the store, and bump, shove, push, and reach in front of me without ever saying, "Excuse me" and then stare at me with a dirty look for just being alive and in the same area.

Sigh....I HATE THAT PLACE! I wait until ds has his guitar lesson in the city and go to Target. I never have this trouble in Target.

Faith

I hate smoke and littering too. I dont' see public smoking a ton though and I'm in the south. Our one local patch I think must enforce this because I don't recall seeing anyone smoking there. Mostly I've seen it at the entrance to Wal-Mart but I rarely go there. Oh, and sit down restaurants but going out to eat costs too much and is too much hassle.

We are aisle people as well. Dh likes to arrive at church at least 15 min early so we get our exact seats we like, up front on the aisle. I've had small kids so long now I don't want to be trapped and I feel bad having to walk in front of people. I feel if you arrive late to something you might be losing the right to sit next to your companions due to a lack of seats. You might have to sit in less desirable seats, first come first serve.

:lol: I'm the same way. I try very hard to avoid leaving the house on weekends!

Agreeing about the aisle seats too--and I'm usually a late arriver. If I'm there early enough to get an aisle seat, I'm more than willing to squinch and twist to let people in and out past me. I have tummy issues, and I can't be trapped in the middle of a row, just in case :( If I know I'l be needing to use the bathroom, it's much less disruptive for everyone, including any performers, if I can get out easily and quickly.

Now, I do take issue with aisle sitters who get there early, choose their aisle seats, and then glare at every person who needs to pass them to get in and out of the row. If that's your attitude, don't sit on the aisle!

Also not a fan of crowds.

There are lots of very legitimate reasons for people to arrive early and/or get in line early to take the aisle seats; so that doesn't bother me.

Smoking in general doesn't bother me either. BUT when there are no smoking signs, it does bother me if some people ignore the rules. And at a pumpkin patch... It's not just an annoyance... It's a safety issue! Aren't most pumpkin patches stuffed full of straw bales? It's like a tinderbox, and full of kids. Ugh. That would make me really mad.

I will say that smoking at kids' sporting events makes me see red. People who smoke on school property next to pregnant women, little kids, and kids running at soccer really, really ticks me off.

This one gets me too. Like our little league games here moms will just light up and smoke right next to the kids playing. :glare: Upsets me so much! Honestly they cannot wait an hour? chew some gum or something, but leave the air clean for the rest of us.

I have family who smoke and I ride on them like no other if they try to smoke in public when I am there. Just not fair to the rest of us who do not smoke.

Try living in the south. :glare:

Do people smoke and litter less in the north?

I think I live pretty near your area and in a rural part of Virginia. Nothing gets to me more than stopping somewhere outdoorsy and smelling cigarette smoke instead of fresh air. We get tons of litter around here and it must be from locals. I just don't understand. How hard can it be to throw your trash away at home, or in the nearest trash can. We do have trash cans around our little town, but people still throw their cans and fast food containers out their car windows.

Do people smoke and litter less in the north?

I think I live pretty near your area and in a rural part of Virginia. Nothing gets to me more than stopping somewhere outdoorsy and smelling cigarette smoke instead of fresh air. We get tons of litter around here and it must be from locals. I just don't understand. How hard can it be to throw your trash away at home, or in the nearest trash can. We do have trash cans around our little town, but people still throw their cans and fast food containers out their car windows.

I think smoking in public is more frowned upon and more commonly illegal/against facility rules here. It's seen as less of a personal right and more of a public health issue. As for litter, no, we have PLENTY of that :glare:

:iagree: DH believes in moving to the middle. We have constant battles over this. I think if you can't get there in time to get a decent seat, then that's not my problem. I get claustrophobic when I'm penned in like that; I arrive early so I can sit where I'm most comfortable.

I arrive early so I can get an aisle seat. It is my preference and if the seating is not assigned I will take the seat I want.

We were once at a movie theatre and we arrived early to get the seats we wanted. The theatre filled up and a couple of minutes before it was supposed to start an employee asked my dh if we would all shift over one space so there would be 2 seats together. Dh politely told him we would not be moving. We arrived early to get the seats we wanted and were not about to be penalized because someone else decided to arrive 2 minutes before it starts.

Shift over one space would really make that much of a difference in your view? Your answer hurt my feelings. I just think it is considerate to move over so that a party can sit together. For whatever reason people always leave a seat empty between themselves and someone they don't know in a theater. In order for everyone to fit you have to fill all the seats. That is the issue not that someone got there 2 minutes before the movie started.

Shift over one space would really make that much of a difference in your view? Your answer hurt my feelings. I just think it is considerate to move over so that a party can sit together. For whatever reason people always leave a seat empty between themselves and someone they don't know in a theater. In order for everyone to fit you have to fill all the seats. That is the issue not that someone got there 2 minutes before the movie started.

If people show up late enough that the only seats left are singles, IMO, they have to take the chance that they won't get to sit together. It stinks, yes, but why should the people who arrived on time be inconvenienced so the people who arrived late don't have to be? What if the person who didn't want to move didn't want to sit behind a tall person? Or sit in a broken seat? Or sit next to someone who smelled unpleasant? Or...? I think that's the early bird's prerogative, really.

Also, I'm not sure why this would hurt YOUR feelings. People have the right to make decisions for themselves.

I feel this way when I am in public too. It really dampens my enjoyment of these sorts of activities. Smoking in general in crowded public areas is enough to ruin it for me.

This was us at Assateague Island this past summer. The group of people sitting forward of us were all chain smokers. The moment I would see a cigarette burning low and think, "Good, I'll be able to breathe in two more minutes," the next one would light up. Eventually, I just told dh I had to go hang by the water for a little while.

:iagree: DH believes in moving to the middle. We have constant battles over this. I think if you can't get there in time to get a decent seat, then that's not my problem. I get claustrophobic when I'm penned in like that; I arrive early so I can sit where I'm most comfortable.

Fascinating! In church we are early-comers. I swear 70% of the church fills in after the music begins. We used to sit by the aisle, but I stopped. I don't want to be bothered moving all the time for the inevitable late-comers. We file to the center now. It is much better. :D

I've seen people who try to light up at parks. :glare: I always ask them to put it out. Some do, others just glare at me and keep on puffing.

There was once we took the kids to a Colbie Caillait concert at our amusement park. The area was PLASTERED with no smoking signs and directing people to a designated smoking area. The lady next to us lit up - NEXT to my kids and myself (I was a few months from due with a baby). My husband asked her to put it out and she had the nerve to tell him how rude he was. :001_huh:

I also detest smoking right in front of a door so I have to walk through a plume of smoke to get into a store. :glare:

:lol::lol::lol: I feel the same way. I'm tired of listening to people scream at their kids, ram me with carts, swear up and down the aisles, let their kids run like screaming banchees all over the store, and bump, shove, push, and reach in front of me without ever saying, "Excuse me" and then stare at me with a dirty look for just being alive and in the same area.

Sigh....I HATE THAT PLACE! I wait until ds has his guitar lesson in the city and go to Target. I never have this trouble in Target.

Faith

I LOVE Target :D

We live in WA state (in a farming town near the middle of the state) and I would fall over if I saw someone smoking at a pumpkin patch. It's been forever since I've seen someone smoking in common areas. They are good about abiding by the rules on this issue, or less people smoke, not sure which.

I get the wanting to sit on the aisle thing. I like it, too, for ease of getting out. But, the one place it drives me nuts is at church. People sit at the end of every aisle and my family of 8 has to crawl over everyone. Fortunately, we don't have to leave with our youngest as much anymore, but the climbing over kneeling people or disturbing them because the little one has to go to the bathroom RIGHT NOW makes me crazy.

:iagree: My least favorite: the pious little old lady who stands at the end of the pew until you feel guilty and move the whole family over to let her sit at the end, which she clearly needs to do (which is why you feel guilty), and who then kneels throughout the liturgy eyes-closed with her rosary, deep in prayer and no doubt joining St. Teresa in the Ninth Mansion of the Interior Castle, while you try in vain to draw her attention to the screaming toddler you wish to remove from the pew but can't because she is in the way. Yes, she is on the threshold of heaven, and I am living the other place.

I have yet to see much of a difference in the behavior of people at Target vs. Wal-Mart. :confused:

I have seen a considerable difference between people at thrift stores and people at Wal-Mart.....

I don't know that I see much litter and smokers in public seem to pretty rare. Unless I'm out near the bars, but that's kind of expected. Even then they area all outside, so it doesn't bother. I'm trying to think of the last time I saw someone smoke in public.

OK, since we passed the medical marijuana law I've smelled way more pot than I used to in public. It's Colorado though, so it's relative. :lol: