Menu

simple machines and making toys

We went to a vintage toy exhibit, and it was an absolute blast to see how whimsical and fun older toys were, all while relying on simple machines and basic physics. Battery-powered toys seem so dull by comparison! It inspired me to put together a long unit on simple machines and making toys with my girls (10 and 6 yrs).

Any favorite resources? I'm curious about books, videos, blogs, building sets, materials to have around, whatever!

The vintage toy exhibit was at Roscoe Village in Coshocton, OH, if anyone is interested. Call ahead because that particular exhibit is only open limited hours. It's a private collection and you can't touch the toys on your own, but we had a fabulous guide who gave most of the kids a chance to work with a toy or two, and we got to see many of them in action.

Thanks,

Amy

Are you sure the book doesn't go aside the Lego Simple Machine Set?

That is the name of a Lego School Set here...

It isn't designed for a specific set. It uses the Lego Technic pieces from all of the other sets that our boys collect and helps them to design new creations. Here is a parts list if you are curious.

The contraptions kit just looked fun, and it has some unique pieces.

Thank you so much for all these great resources! Looking at some of the books I realized we are more crafty than handy, so we'll do a wooden toy or two, but I'm happy to have the building set and papercraft ideas too.

I want to open it up to my girls so they can choose projects--this is going to be so much fun!

Amy

I have nothing to add to the original question, but I grew up in Ohio and my parents took my brother and I to Roscoe Village every summer for many years. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a campground within walking distance of Roscoe Village, on a dirt path, through a wooded area, where would camp for several days. Oh, my goodness, I can still picture myself learning how to use stilts, getting to operate a real (dry) lock, being mesmerized by weavers, watching the blacksmith bend metal using only heat and a hammer...thank you for the trip down memory lane!! :)

This lacks the craftsmanship implied in the OP -- but I've had Carol McBride's Making Magnificent Machines for a while and am waiting for the children to grow into it (ie, to approach Logic age more closely). The book is for K-8 but with my perfectionist Button I'm holding out for his construction skills to improve a bit.

also the OP mentioned that it's a crafty family? there are marvelous resources available for moving papercraft machines. Automata is the one I'd most like to use; this beautiful cut-and-assemble Carousel and Paper Models that Move are also likely-looking in terms of interesting & attractive.

ETA: somehow missed Lily-Grace's papercraft suggestion in post #11 and the neat free resource she listed.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Is there a "complex" machines book or course anywhere? We've done Lego simple machines, and catapults, marble runs, inclined planes, etc. and are about to do some engineering work with Lego mini-fig parachutes, but I don't really know where to take ds after this as far as building. Papercrafting is not his thing, but Davinci machines, models, and such are. Any ideas?

Is there a "complex" machines book or course anywhere? We've done Lego simple machines, and catapults, marble runs, inclined planes, etc. and are about to do some engineering work with Lego mini-fig parachutes, but I don't really know where to take ds after this as far as building. Papercrafting is not his thing, but Davinci machines, models, and such are. Any ideas?

I've been looking at this daVinci book; and this 21 Projects for daVinci. This book on Basic Machines is a significant step up from "simple machines" so the title's a bit misleading-- see the first review by a Lego person who loves it. It seems to be aiming at teaching concepts that can be used on platforms of your choice ...

Edited by serendipitous journey
simple machines, papercraft

Has he already done the Mini Weapons of Mass Destruction books?

BTW, our Hobby Lobby has a couple DaVinci models in the kits/education section.