Menu

Please help with father/child gift ideas.

This year for Christmas I want to give a gift addressed to each child plus dad. I want it to be something that will sort of bring them together and give them something to do that involves spending time together. For example, I have decided to give my oldest and her dad a copy of Backyard Ballistics. Inexpensive, but it will give them hours of fun together. And it's not something my dd can do on her own, so she will need her dad's help.

Where I'm running into trouble is coming up with ideas for my youngers---a 5yo boy and a 3yo girl. Does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive gift I can give to the kids and their dad that will promote bonding and quality time? I'm excited...I really think my husband will love this as much as the kids will!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to say that I think your idea is a good one. I'm going to think about how I can implement it! Maybe a cute little cookbook with some stuff you'd need to make the neater recipes. Maybe you could find some cool stuff on pinterest and then make a kit to do the project. There's tons of cool stuff that could match their interests well. Or maybe coupons for things like mini-golf, bowling, swimming, whatever they like to do together. The coupons could say that they are only for the one child and dad. I don't know, just brainstorming.

There are lots of science related experiments or demonstrations even for little kids that you can find online and on pinterest. Could you pick several of those and print up instructions and buy the materials? if you are looking for ideas I have a few websites and blogs bookmarked.

Wow, what great ideas! I could really run with the cooking idea for the 3yo...Matching aprons? Fancy cupcake molds? Child-sized utensils? And so many great boy ideas for the 5yo. I've got about 5 Amazon pages open in other tabs, now to narrow it down. Thanks!

does the dad have any particular hobby that can be shared with the child? my dh likes to box so we got the kids boxing gloves and they love to go up to our gym and exercise with him...

It may be a little wilder than you want, but one year my husband and my son each got a pair of boxing gloves in their appropriate sizes. I think my son was about 5yo, and he thought it was great fun to "box" with Dad. (Dh doesn't box at the gym, however.) This is a fun idea of yours!

does the dad have any particular hobby that can be shared with the child? my dh likes to box so we got the kids boxing gloves and they love to go up to our gym and exercise with him...

It may be a little wilder than you want, but one year my husband and my son each got a pair of boxing gloves in their appropriate sizes. I think my son was about 5yo, and he thought it was great fun to "box" with Dad. (Dh doesn't box at the gym, however.) This is a fun idea of yours!

Actually, I like that idea a lot. My 5yo has SPD and is a sensory seeker. He loves, craves, NEEDS rough physical time. I don't know anything about choosing boxing gloves, though, and this is supposed to be a surprise for my dh too, so I can't ask him. Any tips?

Ooh, I had a great idea for the 5 yo. A remote control helicopter. They're not nearly as expensive as you would think- you can certainly get one for less than 30 dollars. A while back, my bil had one at his house and he, dh, my son and nephew played with that thing for hours. Dh ordered himself one as soon as we got home. The 5 year old will need some practice to get the hang of it, but it's probably just the kind of interaction you're looking for.

Good luck!

Actually, I like that idea a lot. My 5yo has SPD and is a sensory seeker. He loves, craves, NEEDS rough physical time. I don't know anything about choosing boxing gloves, though, and this is supposed to be a surprise for my dh too, so I can't ask him. Any tips?

I just picked them up on sale at a sporting goods section of a department store or something, but if you search 'boxing gloves' on Amazon, it gives you both adult and child-size. If it is just for rough-housing at home, they don't have to be top-of-the line. There are some youth sizes for about $14, but I didn't keep searching.

Also, with your son being sensory-seeking, you might could get him one of those floor standing punching bags for him to also use his boxing gloves on (also, as in not only using them on his dad). If your husband knew about that and your son's gloves, he still wouldn't have to know he was getting some gloves, too.