Menu

Moms of many, Is this normal?

Help!

I've got 4 kids ~ they're in 4th, 3rd, K & pre-K, so I naturally divide them into two groups for schooling. This year, more than ever, I feel like I'm constantly rushing from child to child to child to child and back again, helping with an assignment or making sure letters are formed properly, answering questions and doling out the next bit of work ... and then there's the inevitable interruptions, like this morning when my neighbor's crazy friendly dog came bounding into our driveway (where I was doing a reading lesson in chalk), so the next 15 minutes were lost.

I think I've failed at instilling a good work ethic in my older kids too, because it seems that unless I'm hovering over them, they'll quickly finish one assignment and then run off to read or play ... and it's frustrating to have to call them back so many times a day...

Is this just the way it is, schooling multiple kids?

It feels like it's all I can do to get through Language Arts and Math with everyone everyday (if even that!!). And that's not the really fun, this-is-why-I'm-homeschooling- stuff.

Anyone with many kids have any advice?? I really feel exhausted and on edge and not fully present because I'm having to shift gears in my brain so frequently that I can't keep up!

I know I tend to have (absurdly) high expectations of myself ...

Thanks in advance, seasoned mommas!

sarah

I teach 4 levels at the same time, by myself, but in a school setting totaling between 10-15 students. It somewhat helps that they know that they can't run off and play because it is "school time." Don't know if that would work for you, to tell your kids that from "9am to 12pm is school time" or whatever times you have.

The other thing that has helped me is to have a list of tasks. Whether you choose to do actual workboxes, or just a checklist - something so the kids know what to do next. Tell them, "if you get stuck, or need help, just move on to the next assignment. I'll help you when I get to you." Then go from child to child, working with them, instructing them, and helping them with their questions as YOU have the time to help them. Remind the others that it is rude to interrupt big sister's lesson while you are working with her.

I'll also sometimes have the older one tutor the younger one if I really need to spend some one on one time with, say the middle one on a tough lesson.

ETA: It might help to do the same curriculum with as many as possible when possible. Have them work in pairs to figure stuff out. Especially with LA - the K and PK children can critique the other's letter form. Maybe make this "U" a little less "O"-like, etc. 3rd and 4th could probably do the same grammar/reading/writing lessons and they can compare their answers. Social Studies and Science and everything else except math, really, can be done as a family.

Edited by UmmAbdullah

I'm schooling 3 kids (my youngest isn't ready) and we use a task list on a magnetic board in the school room. Each kid knows what they're expected to finish in the morning and they progress from one task to the next until their tasks are checked off. I just started using these lists this year and it's helped to keep everyone moving. They still come to me all the time for questions and help, but it helps them to be more independent in terms of not waiting for me to start their next subject. The kids also like being able to choose the order of subjects they complete.

I teach 5 levels at the same time, by myself, but in a school setting. It somewhat helps that they know that they can't run off and play because it is "school time." Don't know if that would work for you, to tell your kids that from "9am to 12pm is school time" or whatever times you have.

The other thing that has helped me is to have a list of tasks. Whether you choose to do actual workboxes, or just a checklist - something so the kids know what to do next. Tell them, "if you get stuck, or need help, just move on to the next assignment. I'll help you when I get to you." Then go from child to child, working with them, instructing them, and helping them with their questions as YOU have the time to help them. Remind the others that it is rude to interrupt big sister's lesson while you are working with her.

I'll also sometimes have the older one tutor the younger one if I really need to spend some one on one time with the middle one on a tough lesson.

:iagree:

Teaching 5 grades this year. I school the older kids (8th, 6th, and 4th) grades first, from 6 a.m. -8 a.m. We get to their math and lang. arts subjects. I teach, correct, coach and go over their list of work for the day THEN at 8 a.m. we get up the little people for breakfast, chores, and misc.

At 9 a.m. I start teaching my Kindergardener and 1st grader. No interruptions from the big kids. They're to go on to the next subject. My challenge here is having enough extra for the kids who think they've finished their list. I don't want them wandering off because when I go over their list again we always find something that didn't get done. I keep my computer on and they get to go do educational games until we start History, Science & Music /Art together.

At 9 a.m. when they're all sitting around the table working ---that's the time I start to sweat. So much is going on and I'm the focal point. Sometimes I just have to say, "If you've finished and you can't find anything to do put your head down on the desk and wait until I'm finished here." :D They hate it, but I can't let their need for speed diminish my effectiveness with their sibling.

We finish up by noon. After lunch I get a nap.

My 8th grader continues working on her list until about 3:30 p.m .

Reading The Latin Centered Curriculum saved me. I don't follow the curriculum, but the philosophy behind multum non multa really helped me focus and get things done.

We also have had great success with workboxes, as long as I stay disciplined and fill the boxes :tongue_smilie:.

Thanks, oh seasoned ones :) . I so appreciate the encouragement and the suggestions! It's helpful to know that our house is pretty "normal" (ha!!) ... Perhaps one of my greatest obstacles is in my own head and heart ~ I need to slow down and be fully awake and alive in the moment and realize how quickly these years are f l y i n g by ... ack!!

grace,

sarah

Oh, and I sent the K, 1 and 6th to PS this year. That helped. :lol:

Seriously, I couldn't hs a dyslexic 6th, gifted 4th, dyslexic 2nd, ADHD 1st, a very rambunctious K and a preschooler at the same time. At least not to the standards I expect from schooling.

So we're just doing half this year. Next year we will see.

I have a 3rd, a 1st and a K, along with an infant. What helped me most was to set aside specific one-on-one time with each kiddie. The general routine around here is

Group Bible/History

One-on-one with 3rd - LA, Latin, Math (1 hour)

One-on-one with 1st - LA, Math (30 min)

One-on-one with K - LA, Math (30 min)

Lunch

Group Science, Geography, read aloud

done by mid- to late-afternoon

When I'm doing one-on-one, the other two have to be upstairs or outside playing. If the really want to be in the kitchen, they have to be doing a quiet activity. I haven't found it difficult to call my 1st and K back to schoolwork once they've played the majority of the morning. I liken it to ps PM K. If they can do it, so can we :) i was hoping I could teach my 3rd first then have him do his individual work while I worked with his sisters, but he's not ready yet. So sometimes his time with me is longer, which is fine. But i'm working toward making him more independent! Aren't we all, right? :)

I think the routine and knowing expectations ("my turn with mom is next") helps my kids to come back to schoolwork after play.HTH!

Hello! I have 9 children, hs 8 of them (as1 is just 3). I have a schedule and the older ones definitely help to play and work with he younger ones!

I do workboxes as well, but I rotate~doing 2 kids school at one, 2 others doing school and the others playing or keeping track of younger kids.

So 4 kids schooling, me helping the younger w school, while 4 with the younger ones, chores, piano, trumpet, etc. We do this for about 1 hour, then rotate.

I'm also blessed to have a husband who helps the older ones with Algebra, etc, and that is left for daddy in the afternoons when he gets home from work.

Last year I had a mommys helper. She came 2 hours a day, and worked just with the younger kids, phonics and then entertained the preschool on down kids. This year we pay the older kids to help out more with the younger ones.

You will find what works best for you. One thing that took me YEARS to learn,,,,,,its NOT about getting 3 R'S IN DAILY,,,BUT learning to love each other, love God and work and play together. When the love and right appetites are created, which IS done mainly by mama, then the kids learn the schooling much better!!! Its NOT about scholing asuch as its about having wholesome, loving relaionships with each other, and growing together in Gods wisdom and grace.

I love Steven and Teri Maxwells resources, http://www.titus2.com as well as Doorposts!

Keep press toward the mark! Don't give up and seek the Lord, only HE can direct your path

Yes it's totally normal, but there are a few things you can do to help.

I have 12 kids, all homeschooled all the way through. 5 have graduated and gone off to college and beyond, but at our height we were homeschooling 9 at one time. This year I'm homeschooling the 7 still at home. Off the top of my head, here are the things that have been most consistently helpful.

As soon as my kids are reading well, they get a weekly checklist every Monday morning. I spend the entire day referring them back to that checklist. This is how we've functioned for about 15 years. Without the checklists, almost nothing gets done. I have 5 for whom I make checklists this year, and I can get them all ready in about an hour on the weekend. This is the only advance preparation I do besides reading the great books the older kids are reading. (I can e-mail you sample checklists if you pm me.)

We have a schedule. It's posted and we follow it as a very rough guideline, but each child has a time in the day during which they know I'm available specifically to them.

We meet together everyday for about 1-2 hours for a "morning time." For more information about how something like this works I highly recommend this audio download: The Long Haul: Using Morning Time To Educate For a Lifetime by Cindy Rollins The way she explains it is very similar to how we've done it for many years, but she says it so much better than I could have, plus she's funnier than I am. :-)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Luann in ID

i'm wondering what you are trying to do with the K and pre-K? those were magical years for us. when youngers were that age, elders were a senior and sophomore.

what we did:

for youngers, i used Five in a Row + singapore earlybird math + teach your children to read well + a theme of the week.

our days started with youngers crawling into bed with me and me reading a five in a row book. (i kept them in a basket beside my bed). the night before, i had glanced over the lessons for that story, and so could do one of them as we read. then we snuggled, and talked about what we read, or our dreams or sang or ..... then up, and made breakfast for everyone. woke up the elders. we all sat at the breakfast table together and i read aloud. at that age, it was little house on the prairie.... simple enough for the littles, nostalgic for the elders.

then everyone did 15 minutes in their rooms, while i brought in laundry and delivered it to them to put away. (this also allowed me to help get them back on task if they needed that, just by showing up).

then it was circle time. i had one of those pre-school books that had a theme of the week, with finger plays, songs, crafts, foods, activities. we would do a finger play or three, a song or two, and then the elders would get their books while i started the littles on their tasks. (NOT their school work). tasks included things like playing with playdough at a little table in our main area, or making patterns with pattern blocks, or putting sequencing cards in order. they would work on those and call me to see when they were done. while they were working on that, i got the elders started on things. usually, one academic, one music practice. after an hour, they'd switch.

after sequencing things, i'd start the youngers on one of the themed crafts, or on a five in a row art activity. then they could play. at about 9:30am, i would do math with the youngers.

at 10am, every day, we had "coffee break". i hid, they watched a magic school bus, elders read or watched, their choice.

at 10:30, elders went back at it for another two hours, and i took youngers for a nature walk. with elders the age yours are, i'd take all of them.

lunch, with a read aloud.

happy horizontal hour.... everyone in their rooms, horizontal, no electronics, and happy ; ).

then i'd start elders, wake one younger if they weren't up, and do learning to read with them, which included some printing. then check in with elders. then wake other younger if not up. read with them while other younger played on their own. then littles would listen to story of the world on cd, with the appropriate activity sheet or a themed colouring page in front of them. they loved this. elders just kept going until they were done.

your elders will need more guidance, but at those ages, school shouldn't take hours.... we were done in ~ three hours. so i'd be inclined to teach them in pairs. depending on personality, you could do that elders/youngers, or one of each. it would mean 5 hours a day for you, but not so much for them.

i also had things like enchanted learning, keyboarding, math games, reading games, etc, bookmarked on the "school" computer, and the littles knew to ask me if they could do that if they were finished before i was ready to do the next thing with them.

hth,

ann

sarah

Yes and no.

It's not like this long term. Yes, you need to aim at the goal of having them be more independent. Try establishing a routine with your oldest of having a list of things to do independently. This way she can move onto the next thing.

They ought not be leaving the area on a school day without permission.

I have been learning (and am still learning) that it is just as important to get curriculum that can be done independently (SOME teacher dependent things are okay, but not a lot.) as curriculum that I like. Some times, independent work must come over preference. Sometimes preference triumphs, but there must be a balance there.

The best thing you could do:

Teaching time with oldest.

Checklist for the oldest

Everyone stays in the immediate vicinity

No one wanders

Teach them to play at one thing happily without switching until they are given permission.

Save intensive things for naptime.

HAVE a naptime.

I started a daily list in 4th grade (I had 4th, 3rd, 1st, and prek at the time). I put everything on the list. If she needed help with something while I was busy with someone else, she moves on to do something else until I could get to her. I started her off with math because she needed one on one help, but vocab, reading for lit, spelling workbook could all be done independantly. Now my oldest two have their lists dailyand hardly need me. (6th and 7th). Fourth and 1st obviously still need me but we're getting there!

I'm only doing school with two kids but with three little ones too I have to divide my attention. The older ones used to up and run off the second they finished something. Now something is taken away if they do it. It's their choice to run off but if I have to call them back when they didn't have permission to leave the work area (except to use the bathroom) there is a punishment. In school they would be punished for running to the playground as soon as they finish their math quiz so there are punishments at home too. Usually a privilege is taken away, often going outside to play that day. Sometimes they are given an extra chore instead. It used to drive me nuts to have to call them back to the table over and over, they don't always stay put but running off is uncommon now.

I do find that they need to have something to keep them occupied while they're waiting. Handwriting pages, flashcards, math review, map puzzles, and reading assignments all work. They've realized that it's best to work diligently on what they're doing to avoid extra work.

Help!

I've got 4 kids ~ they're in 4th, 3rd, K & pre-K, so I naturally divide them into two groups for schooling. This year, more than ever, I feel like I'm constantly rushing from child to child to child to child and back again, helping with an assignment or making sure letters are formed properly, answering questions and doling out the next bit of work ... and then there's the inevitable interruptions, like this morning when my neighbor's crazy friendly dog came bounding into our driveway (where I was doing a reading lesson in chalk), so the next 15 minutes were lost.

I think I've failed at instilling a good work ethic in my older kids too, because it seems that unless I'm hovering over them, they'll quickly finish one assignment and then run off to read or play ... and it's frustrating to have to call them back so many times a day...

It feels like it's all I can do to get through Language Arts and Math with everyone everyday (if even that!!). And that's not the really fun, this-is-why-I'm-homeschooling- stuff.

Anyone with many kids have any advice?? I really feel exhausted and on edge and not fully present because I'm having to shift gears in my brain so frequently that I can't keep up!

I know I tend to have (absurdly) high expectations of myself ...

sarah

I have had similar ages and grades at one time. When mine were 4th, 3rd, 1st, and pre-k, I felt like a ping pong ball. My big kids needed to learn to multi-task and to follow through with quality work. My littles needed me constantly for the teaching. I did start a daily plan and student planners for the bigger kids. I recommend a set schedule with an order for the subjects-not necessarily times for each thing but a routine. We also did educational games for when they got through early or needed me while I was schooling the others.

Now I have a 7th, 6th, 4th, and k'er. My big kids are very independent with their work from their daily plan. My 4th is learning time management this year.

I would suggest a-

daily plan

student planners

clear expectations of their work

follow through

reward system

Our reward system was simple. We had a treasure box filled with stickers and goodies from the dollar store and dollar section of Target.

I do think it took training that year for my biggers to become more independent of me without taking advantage of the lack of constant oversight.

I often got my big kids into a routine with school several days to a week before adding in my littler ones. That way they had a good feel for their work and what was expected of them when I could devote my attention to them. I also could tweak their routine during that week.

Was it the one-room schoolroom homeschool that I daydreamed about in the beginning? No, but it is ours and I feel the good, fun times have outweighed the rough patches. You just have to find what works for you and what makes your home school work for your family. These are some things that worked for us.

For the most part, I'm schooling 2 levels. My dds do have separate maths and some separate writing, but everything else is together.

My K'er gets my undivided (well, mostly undivided, considering the toddler) attention for an hour each morning, and then "his school" is done, and I focus on the girls' work.

You will find what works best for you. One thing that took me YEARS to learn,,,,,,its NOT about getting 3 R'S IN DAILY,,,BUT learning to love each other, love God and work and play together. When the love and right appetites are created, which IS done mainly by mama, then the kids learn the schooling much better!!! Its NOT about scholing asuch as its about having wholesome, loving relaionships with each other, and growing together in Gods wisdom and grace.

I love Steven and Teri Maxwells resources, http://www.titus2.com as well as Doorposts!

Keep press toward the mark! Don't give up and seek the Lord, only HE can direct your path

So grateful for this true reminder ~ thank you!!! It's the whole reason we started homeschooling in the first place ...

Yes it's totally normal, but there are a few things you can do to help.

Thank you, thank you, Luann! I appreciated all you said. I'm pm'ing you now ...

And thanks again, moms. Your truth-speaking and ideas and experience are greatly helpful. Many of you are AHH-mazing, too ... I wish I could be a fly on your wall for a few days, and have some of your energy. whew.

grace.

We now homeschool year round and 6 days a week. I just could not get it all done in 5 days a week. And, someone would get sick or I would be pregnant or there was a job loss or someones special needs would make their brain stop working for 13.75 days and they would forget every single hygiene habit they had already learned or I was a student and had a big paper I was working on. I always Burnt out, freaked out and things got behind. My kids are happy to work a little on Saturday if it means their week is not so overwhelming.