Menu

LDS Moms ~ It's that time of year again!

Xuzi

Can I ask another question?

How do your kids get involved in the conference? Do you watch it all together and at what age did you start involving them or making them sit and watch? When they are toddlers etc, do they just play around you while you watch??

We try to have them watch with us, but 8 hours of sessions (2 hours Saturday morning, 2 Saturday afternoon, and the same on Sunday) is an awful lot for most pre-teens. We try to make sure we get in at least one session as a family, usually Sunday morning. Otherwise we kind of let the kids come and go.

There are lots of ways to get the kids more involved and interested, I just discovered this blog that lists tons of ideas and resources others have put together.

ETA: I just started exploring the resources on the blog I linked to. I like the ideas in this one.

Edited by thegardener

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got a Roku this year, so we'll be watching it via the internet on our tv, because Roku has a BYUtv channel.

My girls LOVE conference. It is probably because my 4yo is weird and gets incredibly excited about the Tabernacle Choir. Every Sunday she begs to watch Music and the Spoken Word (our church isn't until 1:00). In April, she sat and watched probably 6 out of the 8 hours and she is excited for conference this year too. My 2yo will probably be in and out. We only require that they listen to the prophet at their ages, but they usually watch more. One of their favorite things to do is dance like crazy whenever the MoTab sings. Even if it is a really reverent song, they are still dancing like animals. It cracks me up.

We will be having home made cinnamon rolls. Mmmm. Also my husband told me he might smoke some pork ribs.

I used to like to work on a handicraft (like cross-stiching) while listening, but since I've had kids, that's pretty much impossible.

Conference is such a fun time!

ROTFLMHO....When I first read your post, I thought it said, "My husband told me he might smoke some pot"! :lol: :lol: I thought, "Wow, that's a different way to mark Conference weekend. They must have a REALLY liberal bishop!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

How do your kids get involved in the conference? Do you watch it all together and at what age did you start involving them or making them sit and watch? When they are toddlers etc, do they just play around you while you watch??

With my kids ages I am still not up to making them sit through General Conference at home. I do try to take my two oldest to church to watch one session. Other than that, if we are at home, I put a movie on for the kids so I can hear GC on the computer.

Sundays are so hard trying to get the kids to be quiet and reverent. I can't help but see General Conference weekend as a blessed break!

I usually download some of the aforementioned 'conference packets'. My kids especially like the bingo (and especially if I provide something like MnMs or Froot Loops for markers :D). My kids are 9,7 and 4. The goal is to get the older two to listen to at least some of the Sunday sessions. The littlest is sort of in and out of the room. She likes the music! We DVR and sometimes watch/re-watch after the kids are in bed so we can re-listen without all the distractions. It's a process. I like to crochet during conference. I listen better if I have my hands busy with something.

The nice thing is that the talks are available to stream or print online soon after conference, and the church magazine, the Ensign uses the next month to reprint all the talks. So even if you don't get a chance on the day to sit down and listen, you can always listen or read later. Plus, they're good to use for Family Home Evening lessons or other lessons/talks you might have to put together for church :)

My daughter went around with a note pad this afternoon and took "orders" for conference snacks from all the family members. Then she begged so very sweetly to PLEEEEEEEZZZZZZE go to the store with me to get them. I was tired. I was cranky. I was SO done with kids for the evening. But she was so sweet and cute and enthusiastic that I said yes.

I think she'd asked for about 15 extra things by the time we made it halfway down the first aisle ("This is AMAZING! Can we get one? Just one? I hafta show Dad! OOOooh! I haven't seen THAT flavor before, D would LOVE those! Couldn't we get them for him? I saw a commercial for these. They look super yummy, and they're on SALE too! Can we please try them?). When I pointed out she was doing it, she apologized so very sincerely (that's the thing about her, she is always completely, guilelessly sincere about everything. And half the time she's not even asking for herself anyway, so it's hard to get upset with her. But it does wear on a body after a while). And spent the rest of the trip chanting "Not going to ask, not going to ask..." under her breath every time something exciting caught her eye. She even made sure we got an extra special treat for the dog, "because we want HER to look forward to conference TOO!"

So tired. Glad I get to sleep in tomorrow. ADHD level enthusiasm can really wear a body out.

My daughter went around with a note pad this afternoon and took "orders" for conference snacks from all the family members. Then she begged so very sweetly to PLEEEEEEEZZZZZZE go to the store with me to get them. I was tired. I was cranky. I was SO done with kids for the evening. But she was so sweet and cute and enthusiastic that I said yes.

I think she'd asked for about 15 extra things by the time we made it halfway down the first aisle ("This is AMAZING! Can we get one? Just one? I hafta show Dad! OOOooh! I haven't seen THAT flavor before, D would LOVE those! Couldn't we get them for him? I saw a commercial for these. They look super yummy, and they're on SALE too! Can we please try them?). When I pointed out she was doing it, she apologized so very sincerely (that's the thing about her, she is always completely, guilelessly sincere about everything. And half the time she's not even asking for herself anyway, so it's hard to get upset with her. But it does wear on a body after a while). And spent the rest of the trip chanting "Not going to ask, not going to ask..." under her breath every time something exciting caught her eye. She even made sure we got an extra special treat for the dog, "because we want HER to look forward to conference TOO!"

So tired. Glad I get to sleep in tomorrow. ADHD level enthusiasm can really wear a body out.

I have to say that sounds adorably annoying! :lol:

We went to Costco today and I completely forgot to pick up any of their take-and-bake Cinnabons! :( BUT I did manage to snag one of their new chocolate chunk cheesecakes. :tongue_smilie: (choc. chip cookie crust with cookie dough cheesecake topped with chocolate frosting and choc. chip cookie crumbles. It's super healthy! :D )

We also got pretzel rolls for sandwhiches, some dried coconut, and a big ol' bag of tortilla chips to make nachos with.

But I'm mainly looking forward to the cheesecake. :D

Have you seen this? Had to giggle. (Especially after that viral seminary teacher video that was going around at the start of the school year. You saw that one, right?)

I've seen the thumbnail for both of these. :tongue_smilie: I'm a bit over the whole "call me maybe" montage meme.

ROTFLMHO....When I first read your post, I thought it said, "My husband told me he might smoke some pot"! :lol: :lol: I thought, "Wow, that's a different way to mark Conference weekend. They must have a REALLY liberal bishop!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I told him about this and he thought it was funny. We have this problem often when he tells someone or me that he "might smoke something this weekend." But apparently it is supposed to rain here, so no ribs for me. I guess I'll just have to make do with his homemade cinnamon rolls. Poor me. :)

I made these last night for our Conference treat: http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/triple-dipped-smores-apples-recipe-clv1012

They are delicious, but oh my gosh, the marshmallows are a sticky mess! Dipping them was fairly easy (melting them was awkward), but then I put them on parchment (like they said) and stuck them in the fridge while I melted the chocolate. Trying to get them off the parchment paper became a bad Saturday Night Live skit. The marshmallow was like hot glue and those babies were STUCK. Then if you get the marshmallow on you while trying to pull it off the apples, it's like those fly paper strips my grandma used to hang in her kitchen. Seriously, more and more of me kept getting glued to the marshmallow coated parchment. I was looking around for a hidden camera the entire time. :lol:

Anyway, the chocolate layer and the graham crackers were a cinch. Super yummy as well...we tested one last night. Although if you really want it to taste like a s'more, use milk chocolate chips. The semi sweets aren't very reminiscent of a s'more.

Happy Conference everyone!!!

I have to say that sounds adorably annoying! :lol:

That is an incredibly apt description!

I've seen the thumbnail for both of these. :tongue_smilie: I'm a bit over the whole "call me maybe" montage meme.

Yeah, I can understand that. It made me giggle, I think, because these men are generally so solemn and dignified when speaking in conference, but every now and then you get enough of a glimpse of a sense of humor that I can imagine them laughing at it too.

A few months ago. But our hearts are still there.

I bet it's quite an adjustment!

I made these last night for our Conference treat:

Those look yummy!

where is this being held? That church is HUGE and beautiful

Okay back to laundry. Have fun, Ladies!

If you're watching "Music and the Spoken Word", they are generally in the Tabernacle on Temple Square. It isn't a church...it's a meeting house that was used more historically than it is today. It used to be where Conference was held until our new Conference Center was built. It is also the home of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir...affectionately known as the MoTab around these parts. :lol: Now the Tabernacle is used for musical presentations and other special happenings on Temple Square. You can watch the choir rehearse there every Thursday night, I believe. They are AMAZING in person.

Ooops..."Music and the Spoken Word" is a Sunday program. They are in the new Conference Center right now.

Edited by DianeW88

Well the missionary age thing is neat. :001_smile:

I'm super excited! For non-LDS friends listening in, church policy has until now allowed young men to serve missions at age 19 and young women at age 21, President Monson just announced that young men will now be eligible at age 18 if they are high school graduates and young women at 19. I think it's great for our sons that they can plan to finish high school and go straight into missionary service--I think they will be so excited to move on with that step in their lives, and when they come back in two years they will be ready to dive into college. I also predict that with the age lowered for young women to serve missions we will see many more of them going.

Well the missionary age thing is neat. :001_smile:

Eta, I totally would have gone on a mission at 19.

Didn't you just love the faces of the young men and women in the audience when he said that?! :lol::lol: The young men were slack jawed, while the young women were all smiling and grinning. :lol:

Do you realize this is being broadcast live in 62 languages? That's got to be one amazing simultaneous interpretation effort!

Not too difficult. All of the talks are pre-written (they're using teleprompters), so likely they were pre-translated as well. :)

My brother worked as a Hungarian translator for conference for a little while while he was in college. They have little translation booths up in the back of the conference center where they listen and interpret. Here's an article from 2010: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/general-conference-interpretation-fact-sheet

Hey, did any of you watch the press conference about the change in missionary age requirements? It sounds like the church is expecting a significant surge in the number of missionaries sent out in the next year or two. someone from the press asked if BYU is going to have an all-female freshman class next year--I have to admit I was wondering the same thing. Along with wondering if the bishops in student wards are going to be mobbed by 19 and 20 year old women interested in putting in mission papers this week...Elder Holland talked very, very positively about more young women serving.

Hey, did any of you watch the press conference about the change in missionary age requirements? It sounds like the church is expecting a significant surge in the number of missionaries sent out in the next year or two. someone from the press asked if BYU is going to have an all-female freshman class next year--I have to admit I was wondering the same thing. Along with wondering if the bishops in student wards are going to be mobbed by 19 and 20 year old women interested in putting in mission papers this week...Elder Holland talked very, very positively about more young women serving.

Ya, I had that same thought about BYU. :tongue_smilie:

I caught part of the press conference, and it does sound like they're expecting a surge. I hadn't thought about the BYU freshman class..lol. I did like that they also emphasized that missionaries are expected to PREPARE before their missions, and that they should not go until they are ready. As the mom of a boy who may or may not EVER be ready, I love that they are judicious about pressuring young people regarding missions. I like that they are firm that for young men it is an obligation from the Lord (and that the Lord deeply appreciates young women who are willing to serve even though they are not obligated to), but that at the same time they recognize that the Lord understands their individual circumstances and that they may take the time they need to prepare. And that those with physical or mental challenges that severely interfere with their ability to serve are honorably excused from service.

I thought it was great that they mentioned the *why* of the difference in the ages. (why the young women are older). I have to admit it makes sense, although I still think this new adjustment will mean more post-mission marriages of couples who met while serving. :lol:

I thought it was great that they mentioned the *why* of the difference in the ages. (why the young women are older). I have to admit it makes sense, although I still think this new adjustment will mean more post-mission marriages of couples who met while serving. :lol:

I missed that part. What reason was given?

(I love whys.)

I missed that part. What reason was given?

(I love whys.)

I think it was more implied than spelled out--they said they have found it works better if the young men and young women are not quite the same age and best if the young women are older, presumably to prevent flirtations/romantic associations from developing--at least, that is what I took away from it (and what I have always assumed was the reason) although honestly a lot of the sister missionaries will be the same age as a lot of the Elders now.

It sounds like the church is expecting a significant surge in the number of missionaries sent out in the next year or two. someone from the press asked if BYU is going to have an all-female freshman class next year--I have to admit I was wondering the same thing.
Ya, I had that same thought about BYU. :tongue_smilie:
For the first year or two! Then there will be a freshman class made up of newly returned 20-year-old missionaries and 18 year old girls. Watch the "young marriage" rates go up then! :lol:

Even now, though, there are Elders out who didn't go to college first, and will come in as older Freshman next fall.

Edited by Maus