Menu

LDS Moms ~ It's that time of year again!

Xuzi

I think it was more implied than spelled out--they said they have found it works better if the young men and young women are not quite the same age and best if the young women are older, presumably to prevent flirtations/romantic associations from developing--at least, that is what I took away from it (and what I have always assumed was the reason) although honestly a lot of the sister missionaries will be the same age as a lot of the Elders now.

Gotcha. I thought maybe they'd said something more explicit this time. I don't have a problem with the age difference, for a number of reasons, but I don't know that I've ever heard them spell many of them out over the pulpit. :)

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got it to work, yay! We loved Elder Oaks's talk. You don't mess with children. :tongue_smilie: I also appreciated how he said not to ostracize children with same-sex attraction. Seriously. That's been a big problem with some families, IMHO. And hubby is a product of divorce and it most definitely had a negative effect on him and his younger brother, so that part was interesting as well.

Me, me, me!!! I'm hoping for Elder Bednar this morning. I love his talks. They make me think. Not quite as much as Elder Maxwell's did...but close. :D

I miss Elder Maxwell :sad:

Love Elder Bednar's talks as well though. And President Eyring. And Elder Scott. And...

:001_smile:

No wonder I love General Conference!

Elder Holland. Wow...just...wow!! So incredibly powerful. Love him.

Definitely! His talks are always the best.

And I got a thrill when they announced "Called to Serve" for the intermediate hymn. I taught it to my Primary this past month (because *none* of them knew it!!!:001_huh: ). I hope my Primary kids were listening and singing along! :D

Oh boy, these names are hard to keep up with. I have it running on my IPad this morning, hmm, and this afternoon I guess. I am on the first speaker the little old man with glasses. He is so cute. I can relate to the pavillions.

I can see why you love Conference...

President Eyring?

henry-b-eyring-large.jpg

He's the 1st Councilor in the 1st Presidency (which consists of the Prophet and his two councilors. Pres. Uctdorf, the 2nd councilor, spoke yesterday). He's also awesome! :lol: His dad was a really awesome physicist as well.

Oh boy, these names are hard to keep up with. I have it running on my IPad this morning, hmm, and this afternoon I guess. I am on the first speaker the little old man with glasses. He is so cute. I can relate to the pavillions.

President Eyring! He reminds me of my dad (and they look almost identical) so I like his talks even more. And as for keeping up, I end up relistening to these talks over and over in the following months, and almost always hearing/learning something new.

My DSL couldn't handle it and kept freezing, so I'll listen to everything after Pres Eyring hopefully this evening! I can't wait to hear Elder Holland's talk. He's my favorite apostle. I did hear the missionary announcement and press conference!

Edited by LittleIzumi

YES that is him. I love his story. I love all of the personal stories and teachings and did I mention we are gong to our local LDS next week? I'm in love. I feel like I"ve been a closet LDS person for awhile going to the Protestant christian church and discarding most of what is taught because it didn't totally line up with my beliefs but I couldn't find any place that did.

Okay enough rambling off to nurse a sweet baby boy to sleep.

YES that is him. I love his story. I love all of the personal stories and teachings and did I mention we are gong to our local LDS next week? I'm in love. I feel like I"ve been a closet LDS person for awhile going to the Protestant christian church and discarding most of what is taught because it didn't totally line up with my beliefs but I couldn't find any place that did.

I like President Eyring a lot too. I hope you have a good time at church next week. :001_smile:

Oooh, have fun at church next week! :)

That's fantastic! I hope you have a fabulous time, and aren't too overwhelmed by all the new stuff and people!

There is a chart on lds.org with pictures of all the General Authorities (First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, First and Second Quorums of the Seventy). Generally, all of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve will speak at some point during General Conference, along with some members of the Quorums of the Seventy. Some members of the General Auxiliary Presidencies will also speak--you can find them here. If you click on any of those pictures it takes you to a page about that person. And along the left side of the page there are links with explanations about the responsibilities of the different organizational units (i.e., First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, etc.)

It's definitely a lot of names and just overall a lot of information to try to take in at once! I too am grateful that General Conference is recorded and available to watch/listen/read over and over again while we wait for the next Conference.

That talk spoke to my heart so much. Just what I needed today.

(and doesn't he have the kindest face?)

Welcome! And remember we are always here to answer questions as they come up!

Elder Scott made me cry--reading from his wife's journal about her experiences with family history work, then addressing her directly and with great emotion: "Jeanene, I love you" --and knowing that she passed away more than 15 years ago. There is no question that he feels the reality of ties to family members on the other side.

Ack! Ancestors....baptizing the dead? Help me understand?

What is family search.org? Older deceased Mormons?

I was taught that you get baptized before you die...or you go to hell

I'm going to quote from lds.org to save typing time:

Jesus Christ said, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God" (John 3:5). Even Jesus Christ Himself was baptized (see Matthew 3:13–17).

Many people have lived on the earth who never heard of the gospel of Jesus Christ and who were not baptized. Others lived without fully understanding the importance of the ordinance of baptism. Still others were baptized, but without proper authority.

Because He is a loving God, the Lord does not **** those people who, through no fault of their own, never had the opportunity for baptism. He has therefore authorized baptisms to be performed by proxy for them. A living person, often a descendant who has become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is baptized in behalf of a deceased person. This work is done by Church members in temples throughout the world.

Some people have misunderstood that when baptisms for the dead are performed, deceased persons are baptized into the Church against their will. This is not the case. Each individual has agency, or the right to choose. The validity of a baptism for the dead depends on the deceased person accepting it and choosing to accept and follow the Savior while residing in the spirit world. The names of deceased persons are not added to the membership records of the Church.

The New Testament indicates that baptisms for the dead were done during the time of the Apostle Paul (see 1 Corinthians 15:29). This ordinance was restored with the establishment of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In essence, this is God's way of providing, in his great mercy, the opportunity for salvation to every person who has ever lived or will ever live on the earth. Because the ordinance of baptism through proper authority is necessary to return to the presence of God, and because the opportunity to receive such baptism has not been available in life to every person on earth, this seems to me to be the only way God could be both just and merciful in his dealings with his children.

--Sarah

Bickery kids today. I keep missing the sentence that contains the whole "point" of the story. In every single story...lol. So glad they'll have it all up in the archives in a day or two. Sigh.

This is me this time around. I don't know why I bother printing off 30 pages of those conference packets so the kids can do one maze and leave them neglected on the floor for Grandma to trip over while they come to physical blows over which Lego pieces belong to whom. Awesome day.

I'll have to study and pray about that. I always thought it was horrible that those hwo have never heard the truth of Jesus go to hell. But that has been pounded into my brain for 35 years.

Here is an article that gives a fuller explanation of the doctrine of redemption for the dead. Please feel free to ask us publicly or privately if you would like further discussion or explanation. This is one of the doctrines of the restored gospel that I hold dearest, because I cannot imagine how a God who is a loving father would reject millions of his children because the circumstances of their lives prevented them from learning of and accepting the ordinance of baptism.

The following is a quote from the article I linked above that speaks to my feelings on this issue:

In the scriptures, the spirits of the dead are sometimes referred to as being in darkness or in prison. 40 Contemplating God’s glorious plan for the redemption of these, His children, the Prophet Joseph Smith penned this psalm: “Let your hearts rejoice, and be exceedingly glad. Let the earth break forth into singing. Let the dead speak forth anthems of eternal praise to the King Immanuel, who hath ordained, before the world was, that which would enable us to redeem them out of their prison; for the prisoners shall go free.†41

It's a doctrine I hold dear, too. :iagree: ALL can experience the joy and freedom the Gospel brings, regardless of life circumstances. And as a happy by-product we get to learn about our ancestors and where we came from, and thus more about ourselves. :)

(and boy can you really *feel it* when the name your performing a Temple ordinance for is the name of someone who's been anxiously waiting for their work to be done!)

It's a doctrine I hold dear, too. :iagree: ALL can experience the joy and freedom the Gospel brings, regardless of life circumstances. And as a happy by-product we get to learn about our ancestors and where we came from, and thus more about ourselves. :)

(and boy can you really *feel it* when the name your performing a Temple ordinance for is the name of someone who's been anxiously waiting for their work to be done!)

:iagree: In the temple last week after doing ordinance work for my grandmother, the temple worker assisting me touched my arm after we finished and asked, "Is this person someone close to you?" I nodded and she patted my back and said, "I could feel that." We were both teary-eyed, and it was a very sweet moment. I love doing temple work.

Previous to joining the church, I could never understand why on earth a supposedly loving God would condemn most of his children to hell through absolutely no fault of their own. Now I know that he doesn't.:)

I love doing work for the dead! It makes so much sense and feels so true that God wants all His children to be able to choose to follow him and be baptized, not just those who happened to be born into a Judeo-Christian nation and were able to hear it for themselves. Plus, even Paul talked about baptism for the dead in the New Testament! (My iPad doesn't copy/paste well or I would include it here.)

19yos, leaving on a mission soon, made a mistake while writing his Missionary Acceptance Letter (included with his call). Do any of you know where I can find this online to print it out and do over?

TIA

Honestly I doubt it's online. I would let your bishop know and he can contact whoever needs to be contacted to clear things up.

Good luck to your son! Where is he going? (unless you'd rather not post that)

He's going to the Mississippi, Jackson Mission :D.

Big congratulations to your son! One of my favorite Elders (from my own mission) was from that area. He had an awesome southern accent--even when he spoke Japanese:D He really struggled with the language but was incredibly sincere and humble and just a great example and great missionary all around.

Where I grew up is actually in that mission and my mom was born and raised in that mission. I haven't lived there for 20 years and am now in Montana. My brother is a bishop there though and my mom has a lot of relatives still in the area. None of my mom's relatives are members (she is a convert), so maybe he'll be teaching some of them. :001_smile:

Hey, I had a cousin serve a mission there! He said the Sacrament meetings there are *awesome* because many of the converts there are from the more, uh, "enthusiastic" denominations, and so you'll hear a lot of "Amens!" shouted out from the congregation during talks and such. :lol:

Hey, I had a cousin serve a mission there! He said the Sacrament meetings there are *awesome* because many of the converts there are from the more, uh, "enthusiastic" denominations, and so you'll hear a lot of "Amens!" shouted out from the congregation during talks and such. :lol:

I remember that happening a few times, but not as a general rule. It was usually from new members, and they quickly realized they were the only enthusiastic ones in the bunch ;).

I remember that happening a few times, but not as a general rule. It was usually from new members, and they quickly realized they were the only enthusiastic ones in the bunch ;).

Ya know, I wouldn't personally mind a little more enthusiasm of that sort at church. I know we're all about quiet reverence and listening to the still, small voice, but maybe every once in a while we could have a more lively meeting:001_smile: Seems I've heard there was some of that at early church meetings (with people converting from other denominations and bringing their traditions with them). I wonder if it was all the somber Scandinavian converts that brought the tradition of sit-still-and-listen only to church? (Says the girl with lots of Danish ancestors...)

Ya know, I wouldn't personally mind a little more enthusiasm of that sort at church. I know we're all about quiet reverence and listening to the still, small voice, but maybe every once in a while we could have a more lively meeting:001_smile: Seems I've heard there was some of that at early church meetings (with people converting from other denominations and bringing their traditions with them). I wonder if it was all the somber Scandinavian converts that brought the tradition of sit-still-and-listen only to church? (Says the girl with lots of Danish ancestors...)

Have you ever read Rough Stone Rolling? The early LDS church certainly could be counted among the "holy roller" crowd! :lol: I'm a bit sad too that we lost that, although I think I can understand why it faded out. I think those stronger group-Spiritual experiences were much more needed in the early re-establishment of the Church than perhaps they are now.

And what an amazing experience it must have been to be in the Kirkland Temple when it was dedicated!

Okay...

So how do you know when an ancestor needs to be baptized? I can wrap my heart around all of your doctrine. Its what I've believed for most of my life....however.....THIS is something I'm having a hard time with.

So, Jesus went to the "spirit world" to free those that needed to be freed. I thought he went to desceneded into hell to crush Satan and show him HE is te Lord. Right?

hmmmm

Okay...

So how do you know when an ancestor needs to be baptized? I can wrap my heart around all of your doctrine. Its what I've believed for most of my life....however.....THIS is something I'm having a hard time with.

So, Jesus went to the "spirit world" to free those that needed to be freed. I thought he went to desceneded into hell to crush Satan and show him HE is te Lord. Right?

hmmmm

We believe that one must be baptized with the authority of the Priesthood, so anyone who never had that chance in this life would need to be baptized by proxy. Of course, they can choose not to accept it. So if your ancestor wasn't baptized with Priesthood authority, then he or she would need to have that ordinance performed.

I rarely post about doctrine, mostly because I do not feel like I am a very eloquent person and I desperately don't want to misrepresent the Church, but I want to help you understand, so I will point you in the direction of those who know much more than me. Here are some good articles and scriptures on the subject:

The Redemption of the Dead and the Testimony of Jesus by Elder D. Todd Christofferson

LDS.org section on Baptism for the dead

Mormon.org section on Family History work

The section in the Doctrine and Covenants (another book of scripture for us besides the Book of Mormon and the Bible) that is Joseph F. Smith (nephew of Joseph Smith and also a prophet in his own right) describing a vision about what happened in the spirit world after Christ died. D&C Section 138

I hope that helps.

Edited by MeaganS

Okay...

hmmmm

It's both. Certainly bringing the light of the Gospel to those who had previously been in darkness (because SO many parts of the world went thousands upon thousands of years without the Gospel) is a way of showing Satan who will ultimately be victorious. :D He (Satan) won't win any souls "by default" of someone being born where the Light of Truth had yet to reach.

Okay, this post was originally much longer, but I think Meagan addressed the same subject in a much more informative (and condensed :lol: ) version, so I'll defer to her. ;)

Okay...

hmmmm

I think the missing piece here is that a spirit can't physically be baptized in water. They can learn the gospel and accept it with all their being, but they can't physically perform their own ordinances when in the spirit world. And baptism is definitely a commandment for all--even Christ Himself had to do it and He was perfect! So that's what we're doing with work for the dead--just the physical work they can't perform for themselves. We also look forward to lots and lots and lots of temple work/ordinances being done in the millenium when Christ returns, as it seems we'll never have enough time to do them all! :lol:

Okay, soo...because I wasn't baptized by an LDS authority, my baptism is considered null and void, even if it was done by an ordained pastor?

Yes. All converts to the LDS church are baptized by someone ordained to the Priesthood through what we believe to be the proper line of authority. (all LDS priesthood holders have a card that shows who ordained them, and who ordained that person, etc. all the way down to Peter, James, and John, who were ordained by Jesus Christ).

Okay, soo...because I wasn't baptized by an LDS authority, my baptism is considered null and void, even if it was done by an ordained pastor?

Yes. All converts to the LDS church are baptized by someone ordained to the Priesthood through what we believe to be the proper line of authority. (all LDS priesthood holders have a card that shows who ordained them, and who ordained that person, etc. all the way down to Peter, James, and John, who were ordained by Jesus Christ).

ETA: Perhaps Diane (former Catholic) or some of the other converts can chime in with their experiences with this.

:iagree: It just has to done by someone who holds the Priesthood authority handed down from Christ, and we believe that authority disappeared during the apostasy when the apostles were killed, so it's done with pure intent in other religions but lacks the binding authority. There are many different forms of bptism in the world, from sprinkling to immersion, infants to afults, and we want to make sure it's correct and binding in heaven and on earth. Plus, I dunno, if I joined a new church I'd want to be baptized into that new church anyway, but that's just a personal opinion there! Oh, also, we make specific covenants with God when we are baptized into the church, and I know many churches have different promises or meanings assigned to baptism that aren't quite the same.

I'm trying to find a link that explains it better, because mine didn't make much sense. :lol: Sorry about that. It's harder than expected sometimes to explain things you grew up with! My mom was a convert--I wonder if she was baptized in her mom's church before she was baptized LDS. I'll have to ask her.

Here! Page 77, 78, and 83.

http://www.lds.org/languages/additionalmanuals/preachgospel/PreachMyGospel___00_00_Complete__36617_eng_.pdf

If you haven't yet, I would highly recommend calling either the missionaries or the bishop where you live. They will have these books and scriptures to show you in person, as well! The linked book is actually what the missionaries use to teach people about the gospel, so it has a lot of great stuff explained very well and simply.