Menu

Encouragement for you, and an update on us ...

I haven't been around much because we have transitioned out of homeschooling. After 13 years, it was time. We have two in college now, four in a classical Christian school, and Katya is in the public school. My one sadness really is that Katya was not academically ready to join the others. The hope is that she will get the support she needs to catch up, particularly in math, and be ready to join her siblings next year.

Now, I want to tell you moms that what you are doing is AMAZING. You are doing an absolutely incredible thing in homeschooling your children. We didn't start homeschooling because we had this long-developed vision for it. Rather, I sent my firstborn to kindergarten at the local public school. She had a fabulous year. But over the summer before 1st grade, I began to sense that God might have something different for us. When she was in kindergarten, I became pregnant with our sixth child. I looked into the future and saw massive amounts of energy being expended to be alongside my children and be the presence in the classroom that I would want to be. In my quiet times I began to sense that God might want me to use my energy to teach my children rather than support them in public school. But, I didn't listen very well. As a matter of fact, I went to Wal-Mart and bought school supplies for 1st grade.

The morning after I bought school supplies, God slammed me in my quiet time. I knew he wanted us to homeschool. However, our life was very full. I had a house full of children AND we were church planting. So, I came to my husband. Instead of vetoing the idea, he said, "If God wants us to do it, we will."

I never would have DREAMED I would do this past elementary school. But I did. And now, even though our homeschooling days are done, we still really are a homeschool family. Here are the characteristics present in our family that I attribute to years of homeschooling:

1. Connectivity. We are together. Of course there is plenty of bickering, but we really are together. Family Nights are just part of our culture. From years of homeschooling, there is just a sense of togetherness, comraderie, and enjoying each other.

2. Reading. We are a family that reads, and reads together. Read-alouds and then just everyone gathered in the same place but very much into their own book is part of our family dynamic.

3. Curiosity. When something strikes someone's interest, he or she researches it, even now with heavy homework demands. They love to go beneath the surface and figure out "why" and then also dig into very specific subject matter.

4. Lack of grade prejudice. They are simply not concerned with what grade other kids are in. They'll connect with anyone.

5. Mission. We have been in church ministry forever. First we were church planting in C-ville. Now we are in church revitalization in Raleigh. They've had time to do more than just go to church on Sunday. They've been vital participants in all that we have done.

6. Flexibility. We've enjoyed the flexibility we've had by not having to buy into the school calendar. We enjoyed beautiful weather and the opportunity to visit grandparents. Perhaps most significantly, they partnered with us in the adoption process and were able to go to Ukraine with us when Katya began to get cold feet. During the year after the adoption, which was so very hard, they were able to be part of the process of helping Katya adjust and finding our "new normal."

I'm sure there's more, but these are the first ones that come to mind. I'm sure I'll pop in occasionally, but would love to stay connected with you on FB and on my blog. So … persevere, keep your chin up, and KNOW that what you are doing is absolutely AMAZING!

Edited by Cindy in C-ville

What a beautiful post, Cindy, Thank you. You're words are encouraging to veterans, newbies, those in it for the long haul, and those of us that are in the process of putting ours back in schools. I'm glad you are all doing well, and that you plan to pop in occasionally. I know I've missed seeing your posts.

I haven't been around much because we have transitioned out of homeschooling. After 13 years, it was time. We have two in college now, four in a classical Christian school, and Katya is in the public school. My one sadness really is that Katya was not academically ready to join the others. The hope is that she will get the support she needs to catch up, particularly in math, and be ready to join her siblings next year.

Now, I want to tell you moms that what you are doing is AMAZING. You are doing an absolutely incredible thing in homeschooling your children. We didn't start homeschooling because we had this long-developed vision for it. Rather, I sent my firstborn to kindergarten at the local public school. She had a fabulous year. But over the summer before 1st grade, I began to sense that God might have something different for us. When she was in kindergarten, I became pregnant with our sixth child. I looked into the future and saw massive amounts of energy being expended to be alongside my children and be the presence in the classroom that I would want to be. In my quiet times I began to sense that God might want me to use my energy to teach my children rather than support them in public school. But, I didn't listen very well. As a matter of fact, I went to Wal-Mart and bought school supplies for 1st grade.

The morning after I bought school supplies, God slammed me in my quiet time. I knew he wanted us to homeschool. However, our life was very full. I had a house full of children AND we were church planting. So, I came to my husband. Instead of vetoing the idea, he said, "If God wants us to do it, we will."

I never would have DREAMED I would do this past elementary school. But I did. And now, even though our homeschooling days are done, we still really are a homeschool family. Here are the characteristics present in our family that I attribute to years of homeschooling:

1. Connectivity. We are together. Of course there is plenty of bickering, but we really are together. Family Nights are just part of our culture. From years of homeschooling, there is just a sense of togetherness, comraderie, and enjoying each other.

2. Reading. We are a family that reads, and reads together. Read-alouds and then just everyone gathered in the same place but very much into their own book is part of our family dynamic.

3. Curiosity. When something strikes someone's interest, he or she researches it, even now with heavy homework demands. They love to go beneath the surface and figure out "why" and then also dig into very specific subject matter.

4. Lack of grade prejudice. They are simply not concerned with what grade other kids are in. They'll connect with anyone.

5. Mission. We have been in church ministry forever. First we were church planting in C-ville. Now we are in church revitalization in Raleigh. They've had time to do more than just go to church on Sunday. They've been vital participants in all that we have done.

6. Flexibility. We've enjoyed the flexibility we've had by not having to buy into the school calendar. We enjoyed beautiful weather and the opportunity to visit grandparents. Perhaps most significantly, they partnered with us in the adoption process and were able to go to Ukraine with us when Katya began to get cold feet. During the year after the adoption, which was so very hard, they were able to be part of the process of helping Katya adjust and finding our "new normal."

I'm sure there's more, but these are the first ones that come to mind. I'm sure I'll pop in occasionally, but would love to stay connected with you on FB and on my blog. So … persevere, keep your chin up, and KNOW that what you are doing is absolutely AMAZING!

I can totally relate to the bolded statement. Even though I officially retired last year I still feel like a homeschooler in my heart. I've even tried other non-Homeschooling forums and it's just not the same... there's just something about having this important part of our lives in common that makes me feel at home here and on other homeschooling forums.

I also have two in 2 different schools because my youngest academics were not ready for traditional school.

I can totally relate to the bolded statement. Even though I officially retired last year I still feel like a homeschooler in my heart. I've even tried other non-Homeschooling forums and it's just not the same... there's just something about having this important part of our lives in common that makes me feel at home here and on other homeschooling forums.

Totally agree!

I was wondering did your little girls friend ever get adopted? I cannot remember her name but I think it started with a P.

Her name was Polina, and no she didn't. Her father disappeared without signing documents and so she is most likely stuck in the institutional system until she "graduates."

But the good news is that the family that wanted to host and then adopt Polina hosted and adopted another girl, and then another, and another, and is now working to bring home a sibling pair.

Thanks for asking!

Her name was Polina, and no she didn't. Her father disappeared without signing documents and so she is most likely stuck in the institutional system until she "graduates."

But the good news is that the family that wanted to host and then adopt Polina hosted and adopted another girl, and then another, and another, and is now working to bring home a sibling pair.

Thanks for asking!

I am very sorry. I am happy that other children found homes though!

I am very sorry. I am happy that other children found homes though!

Me too. I still pull out her picture from time to time ... There are so many children stuck in the system. The ones who can be adopted are called "pure" orphans, and the ones, like Polina, who have guardians somewhere in the picture, or paperwork that will never be signed, or other issues that will keep them institutionalized, are called "social" orphans. :( :( :(

Thank you for the update, Cindy. I do hope you'll pop in now and again and update us. I've followed your journey with Katya and would miss not hearing how you all are doing.

:iagree:

Cindy, I followed your journey with Katya, and it really spoke to me. IDK if my dh will ever be open to a similar situation for us, but I can pray, right? :)

I'd miss you if you weren't around, so keep popping back in, ok?

:iagree:

Cindy, I followed your journey with Katya, and it really spoke to me. IDK if my dh will ever be open to a similar situation for us, but I can pray, right? :)

I'd miss you if you weren't around, so keep popping back in, ok?

Thank you!!! The WTM family was SUCH a critical part of our journey to bring Katya home. And, keep praying, but also keep your eyes open for other ways to care for orphans. I'm guessing your already doing this. :)