Menu

Dr. Hive, please HELP! My 13 yo ds has the chicken pox...EVERYWHERE!

He is absolutely covered head to toe with them! He's miserable, not sleeping, not eating, just miserable.

I don't know what else to do for him other than what I'm already doing. They are on his eyelids, his bum, his privates, his upper lip....everywhere.

We're doing oatmeal baths, benadryl (oral), calamine. What more can I do?

I feel awful. My other 2 kids had them when they were little, and while it was bad, it wasn't as bad as this! He can't get comfortable.

HELP!

I forgot to mention that he's already been to the doctor and is on an antibiotic. His symptoms started Sunday night. I took him in on Monday. At that point, he only had a few spots and the doctor was more suspicious of lyme's than chickenpox (based on the appearance of 1 spot in particular). He swabbed a few of the spots and sent a culture off to the lab to check for chickenpox, but those results haven't come in yet. Yeah. He should see my boy now :glare:

Anyway, I did call him yesterday to let him know the spots quadrupled overnight Monday night. He said to just continue with the antibiotic anyway because it "can't hurt."

I just wish there was more I could do to put him out of his misery!! :(

No, no, no. Antiviral. Acyclovir. Call the doctor and ask if it's too late for it.

ok thanks. I'll call and ask tomorrow. I wonder if he'll go ahead and give it without official "proof" that it's chickenpox though.

Like I said, he only had a few spots on Monday. He was head to toe yesterday morning, when I called and updated them, and he has even more now. It's unbelievable...

Are you giving him tylenol and advil? That will help with the pain and inflammation.

My son had them at 13 also. He was pretty miserable.

No, I'm not. If he runs a fever, which he does on and off, I want the fever to do its job and burn out this virus. Unless, of course, the fever gets too high. Then I'd give him something to bring it down a bit.

He is also just so fatigued, and he got really dizzy and a little nauseous when he got out of the tub earlier. I'm wondering if that's from not sleeping, not eating, and just being worn out from the virus. Plus he was warm, but I was putting the cold calamine on his spots on his back.

UGH. I just want him to be ok. Now.

:grouphug: He will be soon. It's hard watching our kids when they are sick. We just want to make it better. Don't you wish you could just give a little kiss and the hurt would go away?

My friend got cp when she was 13 and she was also covered everywhere. She also was on her period during the worst of the outbreak. She was very miserable. I guess you can be glad he's a boy and doesn't have to worry about starting his period now.

:grouphug: He will be soon. It's hard watching our kids when they are sick. We just want to make it better. Don't you wish you could just give a little kiss and the hurt would go away?

My friend got cp when she was 13 and she was also covered everywhere. She also was on her period during the worst of the outbreak. She was very miserable. I guess you can be glad he's a boy and doesn't have to worry about starting his period now.

Now there's a silver lining if ever I saw one!! :grouphug: Thanks :)

Thanks, I'll go look for that lotion tomorrow when the stores open. A friend recommends witch hazel, but she's the only one who's mentioned it. Anybody else have experience with that? Did it help? Because honestly, NOTHING seems to be helping!

I wonder if a stronger antihistamine would help....

No, I'm not. If he runs a fever, which he does on and off, I want the fever to do its job and burn out this virus. Unless, of course, the fever gets too high. Then I'd give him something to bring it down a bit.

He is also just so fatigued, and he got really dizzy and a little nauseous when he got out of the tub earlier. I'm wondering if that's from not sleeping, not eating, and just being worn out from the virus. Plus he was warm, but I was putting the cold calamine on his spots on his back.

If it were my son, I would give him some advil to help with the pain. You say he is miserable and not sleeping, some pain medication would help with that.

When my son has cp last year, he had a sore throat, body aches, fever, nausea, and tons of spots. The advil/tylenol helped him to sleep so his body could heal.

I think it's too late for this. It has to be given right away, and you are on day 4.

This upsets me since I brought him in the day the spots popped up (he came in my room at 12:30 Monday morning and woke me up. That's when he first noticed them). He was at the doctor at 3 Monday afternoon :glare: ... and I called at 9:00 in the morning, when the office opened!!

I just wanted to suggest having him have cool baths rather than too warm and having him pat dry rather than rubbing at all - those things help reduce irritation to already irritated skin. Hope he feels better soon.

He has been air-drying, just wrapping a towel around his waist. Once he's dry, we put the calamine on.

I'll try making the bath water a little cooler. Thanks!

thank you! I will keep that in mind. Did the doctor prescribe the mouthwash?

I don't remember if it was a prescription or just a certain brand he recommended. But it was the doctor who told her I needed to use it. He didn't want the pox breaking open in my mouth.

I had a bad case when I was 22. I remember practically living in oatmeal baths. My dds had the chickenpox last year. The Aveeno lotion that has already been recommended is great. It seemed to help the itching. I also put a tea tree oil balm on their pox. They did not like the smell, but I read that it helps reduce itching and infection, as well as scarring. I also gave them sulfur tablets, which I bought at the health food store. These were to help reduce the severity and help the skin heal quickly. If you are interested, you might google it to find out more information.

I had a bad case when I was 22. I remember practically living in oatmeal baths. My dds had the chickenpox last year. The Aveeno lotion that has already been recommended is great. It seemed to help the itching. I also put a tea tree oil balm on their pox. They did not like the smell, but I read that it helps reduce itching and infection, as well as scarring. I also gave them sulfur tablets, which I bought at the health food store. These were to help reduce the severity and help the skin heal quickly. If you are interested, you might google it to find out more information.

I know absolutely nothing about herbal or more natural remedies, but we have a fantastic health food store nearby. Maybe I should stop there tomorrow when I go for the Aveeno lotion and ask them? They seemed knowledgeable, the few times I've been there (they make the most wonderful sweet treats! My vegetarian daughter loves it there).

Thanks!

If it were my son, I would give him some advil to help with the pain. You say he is miserable and not sleeping, some pain medication would help with that.

When my son has cp last year, he had a sore throat, body aches, fever, nausea, and tons of spots. The advil/tylenol helped him to sleep so his body could heal.

Just gave him 2 advil. He hasn't had a fever all day, so you're right. It will help him to feel better, and he desperately needs sleep! Thank you!

He is absolutely covered head to toe with them! He's miserable, not sleeping, not eating, just miserable.

I don't know what else to do for him other than what I'm already doing. They are on his eyelids, his bum, his privates, his upper lip....everywhere.

We're doing oatmeal baths, benadryl (oral), calamine. What more can I do?

I feel awful. My other 2 kids had them when they were little, and while it was bad, it wasn't as bad as this! He can't get comfortable.

HELP!

If he just got them within the last day or so, you can still get an antiviral that will help.

I gave him the 2 advil last night, and he was much more comfortable. He is still itchy, but there doesn't seem to be any new spots today! :party:

He slept better last night, but he still doesn't have much of an appetite. I am praying the worst of this is behind him now; that yesterday was the worst of it.

Thanks for all your help last night! I appreciate it :)

Too late for the anti-viral -- that's a shame.

Phenergan is a good idea - he apparently can use a stronger anti-histamine.

Oatmeal baths - my kids loved these and they worked.

Domeboro solution -- in the first aid aisle in CVS or wherever -- This stuff is the best!!!!! Make compresses, make a towel compress -- this will dry the spots, and totally relieve the itching.

So sorry this has happened.

So sorry he got the pox. I had a bad case as a teen and missed 2 weeks of school. The worst ones were near my eyes. I remember putting calamine lotion all over and feeling miserable. This was before advil was available.

I hope your son reaches the turning point soon where it starts to get better each day. Keep the doctor informed -- I would ask for phenergan also, to help him sleep through the discomfort.

Also, when it starts to dry up...especially, but you can before that... Keep him oiled up. I used a witches brew of different oils. You want some coconut and other oils. I used Jojoba, lemon grass, and others... It was a while ago.... The oil keeping it moist helps with not scaring. My Dr actually said, "Good thing he's a boy!" I was aghast ;( He said it was because he would have scars all over his face. Seriously, you can't see any of them.... PS. My kids found the oatmeal bath horrible. It made them itchier :(

My dc's had really awful cases last summer. Naturally they did it individually so that was summer. Lots calamine lotion and cool showers. The one trick I learned the first time around was as soon as the blisters start to dry put zinc oxide on them. It makes the clear up so much quicker. Dd (the second case) actually looked better then her brother did one week post chicken pox-- ds was 3 weeks past at that point. I used the zinc on ds but started a bit later. Both had it between toes, on fingers etc.

I gave him the 2 advil last night, and he was much more comfortable. He is still itchy, but there doesn't seem to be any new spots today! :party:

He slept better last night, but he still doesn't have much of an appetite. I am praying the worst of this is behind him now; that yesterday was the worst of it.

Thanks for all your help last night! I appreciate it :)

Glad he's feeling better, the bad news is they tend to come up in crops for several days. I didn't get them till I was 13, missed 3 months of school:(

I had chickenpox when I was 24. I totally sympathize!

If he gets them in his mouth and throat, something that helped me was to drink a combination of lemonade and cranberry juice (seriously).

Other than that, I don't have any advice. It took me something like two weeks to feel normal again. That's by far the sickest I've ever been.

My dc's had really awful cases last summer. Naturally they did it individually so that was summer. Lots calamine lotion and cool showers. The one trick I learned the first time around was as soon as the blisters start to dry put zinc oxide on them. It makes the clear up so much quicker. Dd (the second case) actually looked better then her brother did one week post chicken pox-- ds was 3 weeks past at that point. I used the zinc on ds but started a bit later. Both had it between toes, on fingers etc.

So Desitin?

So Desitin?

That should work. I have a tube of generic that just says zinc oxide. If you have to buy it -- pick the one with the highest percentage of zinc. Also it isn't overly kind to clothing and sheets. My kids were already in oversized tshirts for their attire and I prefer white sheets so it was not too messy for us.