Menu

Nothing works out!

I was supposed to go up on Sat. to get my DS from his dad's. Due to me, and DD being sick, I couldn't make the trip (We ended up in ER last night with DD). My mom wanted to meet me halfway yesterday, but w/ DD being sick & I have a quiz Mon that I need to study for (and class Mon night). So I said, I would drive up the six hours with DD on Tues AM after she saw the Dr. on Mon.

WELL.... DH car is dead, and we can't afford to fix it. He can't go to work on Mon cause we need to take DD to the Pedi and he has been taking my car, so we can't afford for him to take any more time off work. Fri he doesn't work at his second job, so we planned Sat I could drive up like I planned for this last weekend.

Well, my mom said Friday she could drive halfway down and I could pick him up from her. I can't drive all the way up on Fri cause I have an early AM class Saturday that I can't miss. She called me back and said Fri doesn't work out because she's playing tennis - after she harassed me about making sure I got out of the house "early" because she had to be back at a certain time.

I asked DS's BD if he could drive him home Sunday or meet me halfway and he said "I don't think I can do that." :001_huh: I can't drive all the way up on Sunday because I have class Monday! (and my mom is working that day...)

I am SOOOOOO cranky - DS has been refusing to talk to me on the phone for days, and I miss him so much! I just want things to work out so he can come home. And Monday DH needs the car again sooooo it really has to work out for this weekend......or else when will I see my baby again!?!

DH and I are also planning an IKEA trip... on whatever day that he has off next weekend. IKEA is almost two hours away so that is a journey by itself........I am hoping SOMETHING works out. My car still needs work, and I'm fearing now that DH's car is officially dead that my car will go kaput (what about with travel?!!)

DS's BD and I agreed we would share responsibilities with driving - so it is my turn to go up and get him - but with this ^ STUFF ^ it is so difficult! I am literally freaking out!

WWYD?

I am thinking a rental car may be the best choice.

I think I should be able to make this work out:

Thurs 10a - Fri 10a - Midsize car rental: $60

Fri 10a - Sat 10a - Large Pick up truck rental - $90

We'll save $60 on our IKEA trip delivery (quoted at $150) and we'll "spend" our savings on the car rental to pick up DS. That way it all evens out and I don't end up spending any more money than I intended to spend (on the IKEA delivery) and I get my son back.... aaaaaaaaah!

Now that I think I have it worked out, I'm impatient and tempted to surprise everyone by showing up TUESDAY!!!!!! LOL Now I wanna go ask DH what he thinks...... :cheers2:

Back to studying for that quiz.... I feel a lot better though, now!!!

I want to smack someone! :D

DS's BD told me today that my MOM told him Thurs doesn't work for her either. I don't know what she expects me to do! (Of course, she didn't mention anything to me about it.... :glare:)

BUUUUT.... I rocked the quiz! DD went to the Dr. and all is well. I finally got a sweet message from DS (left on my cell while I was in class) it said: "Hi momma, I miss you. Call me back okay? I love you" :hurray: But being a three year old, by the time I called him back he didn't want to talk on the phone. :glare: But he called a bit ago. ^___^

I did manage to talk to DS's BD about travel arrangements, and basically if I can't work it out with my mom, I think we are going to get to a point where DS is just going to be stuck up there until a.) my mom can bring him down, or b.) ... wait until Oct?! :001_unsure:

One sticking point: While I was on the phone with DS's BD, we were complaining about cars. He was telling me a story that a couple days ago they went out to lunch with a friend of BD's. They had to move the car seat to the friends car, and I guess there was a flower laying in the back seat from a coworker. BD started giving her trouble about leaving the flower in the backseat, cause he said it was going to die. So, DS of course starts backing up BD saying "flower die" and then so BD eggs DS on saying to call her a "killer" you know like "she killed the flower" :001_huh:and so then BD tells me they were calling her a murderer. :mad: NONE OF THAT CONVERSATION IS APPROPRIATE FOR A THREE YEAR OLD!!!!!!!!! I have a feeling I am not going to like some of the words DS has picked up on his trip. Seriously?! I was so flabbergasted, I had no idea what to say. BD has no idea of appropriate sense of humor and has been known to beat even a funny joke into the ground so far you will find bones sticking out of the ground.

I think next time I talk to him tomorrow I need to tell him what is and isn't appropriate - I tried to have these conversations with him before but he was less than cooperative. Maybe it's time for another attempt? Or just give up and wait until DS is back with me? :chillpill:

If it were me, I'd go get the boy at night when DH was off work to stay with DD, OR, drop him at work, make the trip, and pick dh up later/after work. Also, I'd consider skipping Ikea altogether because then you save Ikea money, shipping, AND rental fees and that would be a nice chunk to put into repairing DH's car.

I feel for you in the auto dept. We're sharing one car now. It's been easier to share than to make a decision about fixing Dh's car or going back to the world of car payments. (We haven't had one in ten years.)

Unfortunately, the IKEA trip is necessary at this point as our couch is falling apart and we have like 10 people coming over in two weeks.

My glasses broke this morning, so now I can't drive. :glare: My DH's boss just said that he needs to do 15 hours (from home) by Monday. :glare: He has to do paperwork for his new job on Fri :glare:

:thumbdown:

Unfortunately, the IKEA trip is necessary at this point as our couch is falling apart and we have like 10 people coming over in two weeks.

My glasses broke this morning, so now I can't drive. :glare: My DH's boss just said that he needs to do 15 hours (from home) by Monday. :glare: He has to do paperwork for his new job on Fri :glare:

Ikea is not necessary. Borrow some chairs from neighbors, friends, etc. Use camping chairs. Your friends or family will not care. Ask them to bring a few chairs. They want to be with you and your family not a couch. Fixing the car and your glasses are necessary.

:iagree:

THINGS are never as important as people, particularly your child. It is not necessary.

I would not be spending money on Ikea. Spend it on the car. Nothing in Ikea needs you or you need it. No desk/bookcase/chair/whatever is worth it when you need to have reliable transportation to get your son and your partner needs a car for work.

We just had 20+ people over, we have no couch. Not a necessity.

I would not be spending money on Ikea. Spend it on the car. Nothing in Ikea needs you or you need it. No desk/bookcase/chair/whatever is worth it when you need to have reliable transportation to get your son and your partner needs a car for work.

Or drop DH off at work and then go pick up DS.

Or go late, late at night.

If it's really important to you, you will make it work.

Did those people sleep over? :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, my mom isn't able to drive halfway on Sat. so Sat was never an option unless we drove all the way up. Aaand driving all the way up isn't an option.

But we figured it out. Until something else goes wrong. Watch, come Sunday, the car won't start.

ETA - No one can/would meet me halfway in the evenings during the week - I tried. Late night isn't an option because my DH has to leave for work so early, I don't have a 12hr gap between when he gets home and when he has to leave for work. I could do it if someone would meet me, but.... well, they won't.

Dropping DH at work is same issue.... he doesn't have enough time to come home inbetween his two jobs (he goes straight from one to the other and barely makes it on time) so that would be a nightmare.

Edited by A.Balaban

Even with quests coming over it is still a want not a need. New glasses and fixed car are a need.

Ikea is not necessary. Borrow some chairs from neighbors, friends, etc. Use camping chairs. Your friends or family will not care. Ask them to bring a few chairs. They want to be with you and your family not a couch. Fixing the car and your glasses are necessary.

:iagree:People are coming to see you not your furniture, make due with what you have on hand or borrow lawn chairs. When I had everyone here for my kid's birthday party I had them each bring their own lawn chair. With my renos I no longer have a couch and only enough kitchen chairs for my immediate family. Everyone brought a lawn chair and we set them up in the livingroom and had a great time.

I am glad to see it is working out. Your kid being home trumps new furnishings. Before reading the newest update I was going to suggest using the money you would have spent at ikea towards those 2 things, and then selling anything else off you could to get the money faster to fix up the car. I could not imagine putting a shopping trip ahead of bringing my baby home. I am very very glad your dh came through and your ds will be home.

I could not imagine putting a shopping trip ahead of bringing my baby home. I am very very glad your dh came through and your ds will be home.

I am so glad that your guests are realistic and kind. Iwish we were in similar situation....Our families...not so much! Not everyone can be so forgiving.

We also have a return to do at IKEA- we only have another couple weeks left on the return slip (I think...I hope!) so I need to get the return done or we're out $$$.

None of this matters because I lost my debit card sometime in the last 24 hours. :tongue_smilie:

If it were me I would tell the guests that it was not a good time and an emergency had come up. Fixing the car and getting your son are at the top of the priority list and trumps everything else. Can you borrow a car? Do you know what's wrong with the car that needs to be fixed? Maybe it's a simple thing? I would be going crazy if I couldn't get to my child and doing everything possible to get him home if I had to hitchhike to get there.

I am so glad that your guests are realistic and kind. Iwish we were in similar situation....Our families...not so much! Not everyone can be so forgiving.

We also have a return to do at IKEA- we only have another couple weeks left on the return slip (I think...I hope!) so I need to get the return done or we're out $$$.

None of this matters because I lost my debit card sometime in the last 24 hours. :tongue_smilie:

Either your guests like you and are willing to use whatever chair you borrow or they are not welcome in your home. You are giving them too much say in your own home. If they don't like don't come. Just because they are family doesn't mean you need to go above your means to please them.

Either your guests like you and are willing to use whatever chair you borrow or they are not welcome in your home. You are giving them too much say in your own home. If they don't like don't come. Just because they are family doesn't mean you need to go above your means to please them.