Menu

Baby Carrier Recommendation Needed

Hi All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a new baby carrier for my 19 month old.

The baby carrier is the only way that she makes it through the grocery store or amusement parks (and we spend a lot of time at both of those!)

Baby is about 25lbs and 32" - only likes to ride on the front, facing me. She'll often nod off in the carrier - so I'd prefer something where I can fold up some head support.

I am tall (between 5'8 and 5'9"), but very small top frame (120ishlbs) - so it has to accommodate both tall and a very narrow chest without feeling like I am wearing a space suit!

We live in FLorida - so anything lightweight or airy would be GREAT.

And it has to have buckles/clasps - I have tried "wraps" and I pretty much stink at them!

The main reason I want something other than my Butterfly 2 is:

Butterfly 2 has no real head support - so her head end up flopping (while napping) unless I hold it, which then defeats the purpose of being hands free.

Now that she is a bit older, I find the "insert" in the butterfly to be cumbersome - I'd rather get something where she is directly against me instead of in a "pocket" in the carrier.

I was thinking of just ordering the gemini, since i was happy with the butterfly - but I thought I'd throw this out there first incase something new has come out since I bought that one.

Oh... and I'd love for it to have a cute but classic pattern - but plain would be fine if it's the right carrier!

Have you tried the Ergo? Very plain but I LOVE mine. I use the hood for when mine fall asleep. My last baby lived in that until 18 months, often for multiple hrs. I find the Ergo super easy to put on and very streamlined. I tried wraps- from plain to super fancy, slings, mei-teis but now I only use the Ergo.

Have you tried the Ergo? Very plain but I LOVE mine. I use the hood for when mine fall asleep. My last baby lived in that until 18 months, often for multiple hrs. I find the Ergo super easy to put on and very streamlined. I tried wraps- from plain to super fancy, slings, mei-teis but now I only use the Ergo.

:iagree:

My favorite, FAVORITE thing ever was a Baby Hawk.

The only reason I don't like the Ergo is the bottom that goes around you is stiffer and I don't like buckles.

The top of the BAby Hawk can be folded down, but when up it will support a head. They have toddler sizes that have a longer body. I miss my littles :crying:

I wanted to add I wore dd pretty constantly until 18 months but found the Ergo super comfy even for our 4 yo but we didn't have as much of a reason to carry her. I know Ergos are not as cool in baby wearing circles but I wish I'd bought mine sooner instead of all the other carriers. There are so many adjustments that can be made as well I didn't really get into the Ergo love until I really worked on adjusting the various straps. Now I can adjust it super easy and dh and I can go back and forth quickly as well. Dh has actually been on me to get another Ergo ordered for hiking, so we can wear both dd2 and dd3. I tried a very fancy back-up last year and had to return it as it just wasn't nearly as comfortable.

Edited by soror

I think any mei tai would be perfect! I found my DD was cooler since they sides let air flow through & a light color is a must. As far as a brand...Im sure you could pick from hundreds. I liked the ones that had been thin with little padding. Very lightweight. The satin style fabrics reverse with cotton worked especially well here in s. florida.

I love my Ergo and would recommend it (just make sure you're getting a real one and not a fake; there have been a lot of issues with fake Ergos lately), but if you can find a local group so you can try a few different ones, that would probably be good, as the Ergo isn't right for everyone. There is also a Boba that some of my friends like for toddlers, a Patapum, a Tulia or something like that. . . Someone just told me that PaxBaby has a rental program too.

A mei tai might also be a good choice, though it doesn't have buckles; I am a fan of the Kozy (which is owned by a homeschooling mom).

I'd suggest finding a group that is into baby wearing and trying them all on. I love my Ergo, but there are baby carriers that are for toddlers.... One starts with a "P" but escapes me at this point :)

Toddler patapum maybe?

I haven't tried it myself but my sil loves her ergo. I just saw them at target yesterday, maybe you could check it out before buying there.

• 3 weeks later...

:iagree:

Of course I am a wrapper so I am going to vote for a sturdy woven wrap that can grow with your LO. I have friends that swear by ERGO, but I started wearing later and needed / preferred a more custom fit.

Brands are:

Didymos - German

Girasol - Guatemalan

Storch - German

Nati - Eastern European

Ellville - not sure where these are made

Hoppediz

If your 5'8, I would go for a size six or seven, there are ton of tutorials on youtube.

You could continue wrapping with a front cross carry, but as you baby gets older for the sake of your back I strongly recommend trying to convert to a back carry either using and ergo or using a BWCC.

There are lots of great wraps and carriers. Check out THE BABYWEARER fourms you will have more information than you could ever hope to...its a complete lifestyle for people like me..lol....:D

Edited by kerryfrank73

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Kanga XT by Bloo Kangaroo. My baby technically fits in it and it has a stiff (but not too stiff) headrest. It's about as light as I think you can expect a structured carrier to be. And it's freaking gorgeous.