Menu

What is the most you'd spend on a single subject K-8?

Mommy22alyns

I know, I know you can do a fabulous job of homeschooling for free or cheap, and my hat is off to those of you who can make it work! But what would you consider reasonable for one subject and what's too much (provided your budget allows)? What's your most expensive subject and what do you use? Do you think it's worth it? :bigear:

The most I've spent so far has been ~$150 for Right Start B and the manipulatives. But I have youngish kids. I presume as they get older, we'll start running into bigger $ programs.

I have paid more for classes, but to me that's a bit different because you're paying for the time & expertise of the teacher.

I think I have a line at about $100 for a single curriculum. Cheaper is better, obviously, but when things get to be around $75 I start to get antsy, and at $90 I spend a few days sitting on my hands.

I spent about $90 on Atelier Art, I think. That's been the most expensive thing I've bought. Debating Wordly Wise which is another $90.

I don't mind spending a nice chunk of change if I'm going to use something, but I'm just starting out so I'm really wary of spending $90 on something... and then something else fantastic comes along and I decide to supplement for another $90... and then I'm meh about it, and HSBC has a great deal on a 3rd thing, for only $90! And I've suddenly spent almost $300 on a single subject for early elementary school. It just seems that so many people here switch around curriculum to find what works, and I kind of have that personality, so I don't want homeschooling to bankrupt us!

Hmm... Well, I am spending 250$ for an online pre-algebra class through Art of Problem Solving. That covers one semester. Yeah, I pretty much had to breath into a paper bag for that one.

I have always spend the most on science and math. I drop a chunk on science materials. I like to actually do hands one stuff for science and I buy it all at once. I generally expect to spend 100$ every year at Home Science Tools. It could be a bit more or less depending on the year.

For this year, I bought the Kolbe 7th & 8th grade literature course for 120$. But that will be used for two years so I could justify it as 60$ per year. But, that was the most expensive curriculum I ever bought.

IEW TWSS/SWI-A combo was $249. Yep, had to breathe into a paper bag before pressing that buy button, but they have an awesome return policy, so I knew that if it didn't work, I could just send it back, no questions asked. Thankfully, it's working out fabulously and was worth every single penny to get my son to actually put words on paper. :D Plus TWSS can be used for several years and is excellent teacher training.

I regularly spend over $100 on math. Singapore is $120 (HIG/TB/WB/IP/CWP). Then I've added in LoF, Beast Academy, and other such things. Next year, I should only have to buy LoF books for DS1, as I have what I need for his main math curriculum already.

I guess history made it up there this year at probably around $200, but that was buying ALL the books for a Sonlight core so I wouldn't have to rely on the library. I get them all used as well. I spent more on P4/5, but again, it's books, and my kids will read them and read them and read them, so I'm good with that. Technically, Sonlight covers history/literature/read-alouds also, so that's not really just "one subject". ;)

Then some other subjects are very cheap. R&S Spelling? $10.70 for TM and student workbook combined. Pentime handwriting? $5.50 for a workbook. KISS Grammar? FREE! :D

I usually try to make sure that what I'm spending my money on is worth the money. My main thing that was a waste of money for us was Rightstart A. I did sell the TM and kept the manipulatives, but I don't even use the manipulatives, so I probably should have sold them too. :tongue_smilie: That was $100. Everything else I've spent money on has been worth it, either for my student or for teacher training. I don't let price stop me most of the time, though I did have to back off the idea of TOG when I realized that it was going to be possibly $1000+, and history was going to be a main focus in our homeschool at that price. I didn't want that. My son loves history, so we definitely do plenty of history, but I don't want all of our school revolving around history.

So anyway, how much am I willing to spend? I don't know. However much I need to spend to educate my children in a way that makes both of us happy? :) Really, anything I buy is nothing compared to private school, and our private school was cheap at $5k/year. So when I spent 20% of that this year for 2 kids, while that seemed like a lot, we were saving tons of money! :tongue_smilie:

Really, anything I buy is nothing compared to private school, and our private school was cheap at $5k/year. So when I spent 20% of that this year for 2 kids, while that seemed like a lot, we were saving tons of money! :tongue_smilie:

I like the way you think! :D I do agree.

I forgot about our time with RS, so that wasn't cheap. Some of my subjects are pretty cheap, all things considered. I buy MFW new, but that's several subjects all together. Maybe ~$400-450 after I buy a selection of book basket books. LFC is my current most expensive at just over $100. Some awful (;)) person just suggested Latin For the New Millennium though, and that's over $200 just for Latin! *breathing into paper bag* So I guess the question for me is, how important is Latin?

I gulped at spending $175 for the lab kit etc for Rainbow Science this year. I managed to get the text and the teacher guide used so it brought the total price down from what it would've been, but it was still much more that I'd previously spent on one subject. I rationalized that it has a high resale value if we didn't like it and I still have 2 younger students who could potentially use it (for the price of the consumables).

I figure it evens out in the wash since some of my other subjects are so inexpensive (Abeka Spelling was around $8 for the book and GWG I purchased for around $30).

I used to compare things to the price of our former private school but somehow that didn't lessen the sting of the science! LOL

teaching textbooks was 109 per grade (i think). i could have bought it used, but chose not too. so that 2X for both kids. i can use my daughter's TT with my son though, so it will save there. the resale is supposed to be good as well.

my hooked on phonics K-2 set was a little pricey, as i bought it new too. but i used it with 2 kids and it was good for 3 years, so i felt it evened out in the end.

if i really thought about it, i'm certain i could go on. we use othe expensive curriculum (like IEW and BJU w/ dvd's) but i have found those used for very fair prices - so i won't count those.

as a point of reference, anything over 100 per subject i consider pricey.:)

$119 for teaching textbooks book and cd. It was a lot but compared to private school it's pocket change so I don't mind. I also think about things in terms of what it costs to use, not what it costs to buy. If five kids use a $100 program then it's resold for $50 then it only cost $10 per child to use which is quite a bargain.

I guess if you call them 'subjects' then gymnastics class and music lessons cost the most.

I do tend to spend a lot on art supplies and durable items like a globe, atlas, encyclopedia, microscope, etc. Those purchases probably equal my curriculum spending.

Last year AoPS was about $500 plus books for two semesters. I'm not sure if we will do one semester or two this year, since the Algebra book is Algebra I and II my budget is hoping for just one. DS's math tutor runs $100 a month. Next year Honors Chemistry will run about $800 for two semesters. If I'm not using online classes then it's hard to say which is more, science or history/lit.

I spend a lot upfront for my TOG year plans but I think that will average out over all my DC and the number of years I will get out of it, kind of like my SL books have so far. IEW and PR are expensive upfront as well ($250 and $220) but again the law of averages is in my favor with five children. We don't discuss swimming costs. ;)

I do think it is worth the cost, both for materials that help me teach well (TOG, PR) and subjects that the kids have passions for or that I cannot otherwise teach with that caliber (math and chemistry).

Edited by melmichigan

All three REAL Science Odyssey ebooks were about $105.

All About Spelling with the tiles and everything is about $70.

I bought all 6 years of Math Mammoth for $65, use Spectrum Language Arts, Writing and Reading workbooks that I bought for $1 at a used book store, Explode the Code - $8 a book, The Complete Book of US History - $10. So most of my specific curriculum purchases have been pretty low. I like to spend most of my money on books and encyclopedias.:D

I think I will end up spending most of my money on science supplies. I'm seriously considering convincing dh that we need to buy the Lego Mindstorms set, which appears to run about $300.

I buy what works. Science is important to us, but I can spend $30 on BFSU and get 3 years out of it. OTOH, I spent $200 on TOG, which is less important to me, but is very important to dd. Plus, I get 3 years out of it times 2 children. My math is free, but I use it because it is what works. Spelling was $120 for K-12 for both kids.

I think I spent around $500 on history this year. But, that was mostly books, AND I hope to never have to spend that much again. :tongue_smilie: On the other hand I spent $65 on 6 years of Math Mammoth. Divide that by 3 kids (at least) and you have one amazing deal. I spend what I need to in order to have the best year we can. I do cheap when I can, but I am mostly willing to spend more on books than curriculum, though for the right curriculum I am willing...

I think that Artistic Pursuits (including art kits purchased through miller pads and paper) was our most expensive curriculum, aside from MFW ECC.

Like a pp said, it all seems like such a bargain compared to private school tuition. We were able to purchase all of their curricula, supplies, a large Expedit bookcase, as well as 2 Ikea desks & chairs for a bit less than 1 month of tuition for the girls last year.:tongue_smilie:

If funds were unlimited I would have no problem spending several thousand dollars on a subject. But, I would have to really feel like the expenditure was worthwhile. There are plenty of curricula out there that I think are overpriced.

But my funds aren't unlimited so I try to stick with more reasonable expenditures. ;)I have spent quite a bit on an all in one online acess program before, but the cost per child per class was actually pretty low. Because I have so many students at so many levels I like to purchase items that can be used by all of them, or have lots of options for one price (buffet style). I am willing to spend more on something that can be dollar cost averaged.

History is most expensive in my house. This year I'm looking at spending about $700. :001_huh: A base curriculum, several Jackdaws, living books, document reproductions......it adds up QUICK. I think last year was even worse, with using the Oxford Middle Ages series and a historical fiction book for each subject PLUS document reproductions/Jackdaws.

On the upside, we'll have a beautiful collection for when the 2yo gets old enough, and very few of the middle school resources will be outgrown.

Violin!

annual costs for older boy:

private lessons: $2200

quartet and theory classes: $600

prorated cost of violin and new strings $200

exams including accompanist and practice with accompanist: $250

music and theory books: $150

Younger:

lessons and string group: $150 (very cheap b/c subsidized by gov't)

prorated cost of violin: $150

exams (w/ accompanist costs): $200

music: $100

annual cost for both children: $4000! :001_huh: Younger will cost same as older in about 2 years! :001_huh::001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

Is it worth it? I wish I knew. Apparently my children have some skill (the older is being taught by the concert master of the NZ orchestra). But I have a serious heart attack every time I think of the $$! I should move it up to the front of my siggy!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I'd say in total either history books or science books. On specific curriculum Right Start B holds the title for most expensive so far, as I bought it new, full price. I've used other levels of RS though and been able to find them used, so they haven't been too much. I just bought the lessons for A and that was just $25(used) and since I already have the manipulatives it makes it pretty cheap. I've bought one section of Beast Academy so far and all told it will be $108 + shipping for the year for all the books.

I would spend as much as I could afford if I thought it would be something worthwhile for my kids. Sometimes I hesitate too much based on cost as I hate the thought of dropping major cash and then regretting it. I always try to find used, but it doesn't always work. I could spend an unlimited amount on our personal library. It is a high priority for me.

:grouphug:

I feel your pain, I love bookdepository.com because of their free shipping, I love it when companie decided to sell workbooks as download (printing is cheaper then shippings) but otherwise I think 1/3 of my budget is up to shippings and custom charges

:grouphug: Me, too. Just spent going on $200 to get basic 1st grade materials over here. I love .pdf versions of teacher's manuals. Just bought the math mammoth blue series workbooks for math supplementation as downloads.

I know, I know you can do a fabulous job of homeschooling for free or cheap, and my hat is off to those of you who can make it work! But what would you consider reasonable for one subject and what's too much (provided your budget allows)? What's your most expensive subject and what do you use? Do you think it's worth it? :bigear:

I dread to think how much I would spend if I could. I was actually thinking about this when I read about Suri Cruise going to the $40kpa school. According to Reuters,

Cruise will pay $4.8 million in child support by the time little Suri Cruise reaches the age of 18. That's about $400,000 per year in addition to expenses covering Suri's medical needs, education and extracurricular activities.

What kind of awesome home school could Katie Holmes do with that sort of money?

OK, even assuming I won't ever manage to marry and then divorce Tom Cruise, even if we were in the more "normal" rich category, I'd have plenty of fun. I'd go through SOTW supplementary reading lists, and instead of scouring the library's barely adequate selection, I'd just order every single title straight off Amazon. I'd get my kids a fully kitted out science lab. Hire a non English speaking mother's help for LOTE immersion two or three days a week. Really swanky art supplies. Equipment for all those sports we'd love to do but can't afford to buy the gear. Regular educational travel.

(It's weird, but I don't seem to apply the same financial filter to things for the kids. Generally, I'm a tightwad personality. I saw ready-to-eat pumpkin soup for about $7 in the shop and was appalled at the idea that anyone could be so extravagant as to squander $7 because they couldn't be bothered to chop and cook some pumpkin. But I'll happily spend any money I can scrape together on better paint or another math resource.)

Edited by Hotdrink

$119 for teaching textbooks book and cd. It was a lot but compared to private school it's pocket change so I don't mind. I also think about things in terms of what it costs to use, not what it costs to buy. If five kids use a $100 program then it's resold for $50 then it only cost $10 per child to use which is quite a bargain.

I guess if you call them 'subjects' then gymnastics class and music lessons cost the most.

I do tend to spend a lot on art supplies and durable items like a globe, atlas, encyclopedia, microscope, etc. Those purchases probably equal my curriculum spending.

I am NOT adding that up! :svengo: Rebecca alone is $185 a month, plus booster club dues, meet fees, and other associated meet expenses! :svengo:

Gosh, I didn't even think about art supplies. I had Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 1 and dropped about $100 on supplies alone. We also tried TT and it didn't work, but the resale really is excellent. I got about $80 each.