Menu

Which read-aloud to start with?? The Lion,Witch and Wardrobe, or Anne of Green Gables

Which read-alouds??  

1. 1. Which read-alouds??

• Anne of Green Gables
    • Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe
    • Little House in the Big Woods.

I would start w/ the Little House books, followed by the Narnia series, and then Anne of Green Gables. I think you need to be a little older to truly appreciate Anne.

:iagree: Your oldest is nearing the "outgrowing" years for Little House, while your 4 year old is right at the beginning stages of loving Laura and her life. Chronicles of Narnia next... then Anne. Anne is a good book when you're really young - but it is a beautiful coming-of-age story when you're just-the-right-age. :) FWIW, my older girls read Anne when they were 13 and 11 and are as in love with her as I was...

I would start w/ the Little House books, followed by the Narnia series, and then Anne of Green Gables. I think you need to be a little older to truly appreciate Anne.

:iagree: Yours are at such a great age for the Little House books. We are starting On the Banks of Plum Creek tomorrow (the boys have been not-so-patiently waiting ;) ). We are also listening to the Chronicles on audio (began with Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe), though I know we'll go through them again as ds#3 gets a bit older. I have Anne on the shelf, but I think we'll read it next year with the older two boys are a bit older and have a few others under their belts.

:iagree: Your oldest is nearing the "outgrowing" years for Little House, while your 4 year old is right at the beginning stages of loving Laura and her life. Chronicles of Narnia next... then Anne. Anne is a good book when you're really young - but it is a beautiful coming-of-age story when you're just-the-right-age. :) FWIW, my older girls read Anne when they were 13 and 11 and are as in love with her as I was...

What a great way to explain it!

Because your kids are younger, I would start with Little House.

Then I would read The Lion, the Witch. . .

and I would wait on Anne.

They are all among my top 5 books. I have never read Anne of Green Gables aloud (but do re-read it myself every few years.) I had considered doing it as an audio book this summer for our long trip. When I was previewing it, I realized a lot of the topics/problems are ones that would appeal to kids who are 10 and up. The language is also very rich.

Because your kids are younger, I would start with Little House.

Then I would read The Lion, the Witch. . .

and I would wait on Anne.

They are all among my top 5 books. I have never read Anne of Green Gables aloud (but do re-read it myself every few years.) I had considered doing it as an audio book this summer for our long trip. When I was previewing it, I realized a lot of the topics/problems are ones that would appeal to kids who are 10 and up. The language is also very rich.

:iagree:

I 2nd Little House for the reasons others have listed, but it's a good idea to be prepared to point out and discuss some of the racist elements throughout the series - especially because Ma and Pa Ingalls, the source of some of it, are presented as such heroic figures.

A few things I recall offhand:

*Ma's obvious fear and dislike of Native Americans, and her actually saying, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian."

*Lots of questionable 'Indian' stuff throughout, in both dialogue and exposition.

*Pa puts on dark face and acts in a minstrel show; the description of this is absolutely cringe-worthy.

*The general setup of 'braving the wild frontier,' which the Native Americans more prosaically called 'home' ;)

That's what springs to mind, but I'm sure there's more. You might want to skim ahead. I was pretty shocked when I read them as an adult. I also decided that Pa is actually a rather hapless and irresponsible guy, but that's another discussion :D

I personally do think they are still worth reading, if it's done with some awareness. The fact that the Ingalls are "the good guys" and yet still very prey to prejudice actually makes for great discussion, imo.