Menu

Have you painted your cabinets?

I would love some suggestions if you have. I am wanting to redo our bathroom that has 20 year old very hard pine cabinets. They are in great shape, but I want to paint them white. I was planning on all new silver hardware, new paint, new towel ring and the like. I have a style of curtain I'd like to get, haven't found it, but I can make one from some material that I've seen and like which I will probably do.

I have a lighter blue vanity top that I can't replace right now. I think I can pull off a cute beachy theme if I paint the cabinets white...but I'm afraid that it'll be too much. The cabinets to the left of the sink go almost to the ceiling and are about 3 feet wide and almost 2 feet deep.

Here are some pics:

post-32706-1353508744829_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087448053_thumb.jpg

We painted our kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets. The first time I was very thorough with the prep work. Tons of sanding, washed with TSP, etc. They came out great. The second time, we got lazy. We barely sanded (just scuffed them) and wiped with a wet cloth. They came out just as great:). Both times we primed first. They held up nice and are easy to touch up when needed. Good luck!

I am selling my house and I had similar question on the cabinets in the kitchen. as I researched around town, the experts told me if I wanted to do it, I had to use a sprayer to evenly paint them, or it would not look good. I painted all the doors white, I cannot tell you how hard that was, I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to get all the groves even.

Another suggestion that I got was to re-stain it redish, dark red. I have seen bathrooms and kitchens that color and are gorgeous! Staining is easier seems to me... I had to paint those doors so many times, primer, then white (please use satin) any thing less looks terrible. at the end use a roller, to even out the strokes.

Good luck

ps. I left my cabinets alone, I used a revitalizing wood treatment, and they look just fine.

Our cabinets were already painted when we bought the house. I have since repainted them twice in 14 years. They are wonderful! We have great, solid cabinets. Someone before us put boxes of trim on each cabinet to add detail. They also textured them. When I have to patch dings, I add a little sand to the paint and it works great. I am thinking about painting our vanity in the boys' bathroom as well as the cabinet above the toilet. I just don't have the energy. My brother, a union painter, sprayed our vanity with his compressor before we moved into the house and it turned out amazing, especially since he was covering up hunter green!

Thanks y'all. I really am up in the air about this...I could always replace the vanity top...but to what?...the typical cream color? I don't know. I thought, yeah paint would be work, but it might be cheaper. I just want it to look nice either way and a beachy theme might brighten that hall bath that has no window in it and is narrow. It seems cramped in there to me. I want to make it feel and if I can, look, more open. I've been scouring the net for ideas. I guess I also don't want to lose the storage I have in that cabinet. I don't have a large home and the cabinets that are built in around the house are pretty much it for storage solutions. All the linens are in that closet along with TP/Tissues, beauty products and the like...

I painted my kitchen cabinets black and bathroom white. The black looks so much better. People always comment on them. I took the doors off the upper cabinets or replaced the panel with smokey glass so it is not too dark. The black is so forgiving of dirt and smudges.

We painted our kitchen cabinets white because if we want to redo our kitchen it's going to be a full gut out, ripping plaster, 6 layers of floor etc (our house is almost 100). Our cabinets look SO much better cleaned up and we bought nice chrome hardware at restoration hardware. I personally think your cabinets would be really cute in white.

Our neighbors are professional painters and gave us good tips on painting them. We used an oil based primer and paint. We did this several years ago and they have not chipped at all and scrub up really well.

Because the bathroom cabinets have so much texture, I would use a "soft white" color instead of a "bright white".

I also agree about buying and using a super nice primer and follow standard prep.

Thanks! I think I'm just going to do it. I actually think the crazy blue sink would look cute with the white cabinets, but that's just me...lol. I don't like the blue sink all that much, but I figured...it can be changed later. I am however buying a new faucet. I hate the one there. Oh and we have one of those huge mirrors on the wall...depending on how it was put on there, I may frame it or remove it and hang another. Most likely I'll frame it though. I does help with light in there as it comes down the hall and bounces off of it into the bathroom.

I have some pretty blue ball canning jars that I want to fill with beachy stuff to put on a shelf above the towel hooks. I also found a cute storage idea using square baskets above the toilet for extra towels or washclothes rolled up and other odds and ends...I love Pinterest, :D

We painted our kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets. The first time I was very thorough with the prep work. Tons of sanding, washed with TSP, etc. They came out great. The second time, we got lazy. We barely sanded (just scuffed them) and wiped with a wet cloth. They came out just as great:). Both times we primed first. They held up nice and are easy to touch up when needed. Good luck!

White paint makes anything look good. We painted some natural cabinets that are part of a mudroom area...finally. Made a huge difference in the room.

Since they are finished, you need to sand first.

We paint cabinets a lot. I like to first go over them with Kilz, then you can use any color you want! I have used a good brush when I did my own at home and it still looked fantastic! Have fun! Also, we just painted our new office kitchen with a very shiny black. It is just gorgeous. The office is actually a 1985 ranch home and the cabinetes were golden oak. The counters are now granite and the floor is tile. I want to move in but ... we need an office.

Edited by Mad Charity

We painted our kitchen cabinets white because if we want to redo our kitchen it's going to be a full gut out, ripping plaster, 6 layers of floor etc (our house is almost 100). Our cabinets look SO much better cleaned up and we bought nice chrome hardware at restoration hardware. I personally think your cabinets would be really cute in white.

Our neighbors are professional painters and gave us good tips on painting them. We used an oil based primer and paint. We did this several years ago and they have not chipped at all and scrub up really well.

My house is over a 100 and we have flat panel cabinet doors. I wondered if that's what you painted over and I'd love to see a pic if it is.

We paint cabinets a lot. I like to first go over them with Kilz, then you can use any color you want! I have used a good brush when I did my own at home and it still looked fantastic! Have fun! Also, we just painted our new office kitchen with a very shiny black. It is just gorgeous. The office is actually a 1985 ranch home and the cabinetes were golden oak. The counters are now granite and the floor is tile. I want to move in but ... we need an office.

Do you just use Kilz over the varnish and then repaint. Or do you do the sanding and prep, then use kilz, then use paint? Thanks!

And does anyone know how to white wash. It sounded interesting..

Do you just use Kilz over the varnish and then repaint. Or do you do the sanding and prep, then use kilz, then use paint? Thanks!

And does anyone know how to white wash. It sounded interesting..

I I would do a quick once over with some sandpaper just for kicks. I think Kilz is magical so it would probably work without it, but it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway.

Ok - here's a shot of a few of our painted cupboards. These are super ugly, cheesy 80's cabinets that had no hardware, white Formica, and hideous oak trim before. The walls were dirty white too. I want to gut the whole thing someday, but it's at least not painful to look at any more (except the flooring - yikes, that is a nightmare!).

Excuse the toothbrushes on the counter - we're having 2 bathrooms remodeled right now. We usually don't mix dental care with cooking. ;)

I painted an 80's oak bathroom cabinet white and it came out great. Then I put new brushed nickle knobs and hinges on and matching towel ring and light fixture. First I wiped them down with a "deglosser" and then used the Kilz to prime them. I used this great paint from Benjamin Moore called "Satin Impervo." It is low lustre enamel and "stands up to repeated washing and scrubbing." :001_smile: A friend recommended the paint when she had done her entire kitchen with it. Almost four years later it still looks great. I didn't sand at all; the deglosser prepared the wood enough for the Kilz. Take your time with each step and be sure to allow enough drying time between each step/coat. Being patient can make the difference between a beautiful job and a big, messy disappointment!

Have fun painting!

Mary

I painted a TV cabinet, coffee table and a stand using chalk paint. It is the easiest and needs no sanding when you use it. I used the Anne Sloane paint, slightly price but well worth it if you are doing the job herself. Its been 6 months now and the paint has stood the test of time esp my coffee table. Varnish is required to make sure the paint last and Anne Sloane has its own range.

I really like my new look furniture and so I would say DO IT, unless its very expensive furniture that you don't want ruined.