Menu

Post-interview thank you note: would you use personalized note cards?

Unless you are interviewing for something very hands-on or crafty or a very small business, most professional communication is done by email these days.

Not to be argumentative, but I'll present the opposite opinion. ;)

Although my husband (in a professional job) does 99% of his communication by email, he feels strongly that a job interview thank you should be handwritten.

I've been out of the job market for so long that I don't really know what is done any more. :tongue_smilie:

Unless you are interviewing for something very hands-on or crafty or a very small business, most professional communication is done by email these days.

Which is one reason why an actual note stands out. DH has been in the habit of writing notes after interviews or when senior people have taken the time to sit down and spend time to discuss his record and make suggestions.

When he was chosen for his last promotion, I was impressed by the senior people who took the time to send an actual note of congratulations.

I do interviews for my alma mater. This is for a college that provides a full ride scholarship, monthly stipend and a guaranteed job after graduation. I'm always surprised by the number of candidates who do not even send an email saying that they appreciated the interview.

I think the notecares described sound lovely.

I disagree. As others said, it's precisely because of the overuse of email that a handwritten note is the way to go if you want to stand out.

I advise my clients to send handwritten notes after a job interview. It's personal, unusual enough to stand out positively, and just plain nice.

If time is of the essence, of course, email is the better choice.

My dh just read this suggestion a couple of weeks ago on a professional website telling prospective employees what they can do to stand out from the crowd. An email can be glossed over, deleted, ignored. A handwritten card however shows class, attention to details, and requires the attention of the recipient.

It is a trend that started about 10 years ago as a way to make oneself stand out among the competition.

Actually, it was part of my professional training 25 years ago. My impression was that it was a longstanding practice. My major was professional writing, so YMMV.

Not to be argumentative, but I'll present the opposite opinion. ;)

Although my husband (in a professional job) does 99% of his communication by email, he feels strongly that a job interview thank you should be handwritten.

I've been out of the job market for so long that I don't really know what is done any more. :tongue_smilie:

Another vote for handwritten. It sends a message that you care enough to go the extra steps of stamping and mailing, after taking the time to write a message.

An email is just so...easy. I wouldn't do that. But I'm old-school.

I think the OP's cards sound tasteful, elegant, and professional, but I know nothing about job interviews, so take that with a grain of salt.

I would think that a handwritten note would be a nice way to stand out over emailed notes, except for two things. One, if your handwriting is really terrible, I'd consider going with email. Two, if there had already been significant email contact (like a questionnaire emailed to you and returned with answers via email) before the actual interview, following up via email might be fine too, though I can't imagine a paper note would hurt. Oh, and three, if the interviewer travels a lot, maybe email would be most appropriate -- I would think the worst would be if the paper note arrives while the interviewer is away from the office, and the interviewer ends up thinking that the applicant didn't send a note at all (especially if other candidates sent email notes).

Interesting the differences between countries. I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Doesn't it make you seem a little desperate?

I hire new staff occasionally and if I got a handwritten note this is what I'd think. It's definately not the norm here.

We typically shortlist a maximum of five people per position, so I would remember everyone I've interviewed.

I've never heard of sending a 'thank you' after an interview... this is an interesting concept.

REally? I think of an interview as a two way street. I want to know if they have a boor doing the interviewing, I want to see how interested they are in me, I want to get a feel for the place. I think a note reaffirming your interest or even a note saying you have decided against it is important. Perhaps not for McDonalds, but any job of any seriousness. It is also a great moment to plug something you forgot to, or to mention, after the meeting, how you would really fit in with the organization, or how pleased you were to find the place well-run and productive.

It is a trend that started about 10 years ago as a way to make oneself stand out among the competition.

I wrote them, or rather typed them and signed them, back in the 70s. After my parents died, I was going through their papers, and my father's mother, widowed and looking to apply her college degree to support 4 young children, had practiced, on both sides, composing and spacing a letter on a typewriter, obviously after an interview. (She got the job. And later campaigned for an elected position in the courts, and my father's very, very elderly cousin said her poster had photos of her four children and the caption: 4 reasons to vote for Florence Steussi. She won that position, too.) This would have been right around 1920.

This conversation has been interesting to me! My assumption was that I would send a thank you note. I have done that for every professional job interview I've had. My question was only about the appropriateness of my stationery, since I don't have any undecorated note cards on hand. (Simplyme99, I remember purchasing Crane ecru cards during college. I should buy more!)

I was taught that it was the right thing to do, and that, even if it isn't typical, employers would notice your good manners at least.

I've done some google searches on getting jobs, and the thank you letter is mentioned on almost every one, usually in the section about acing the interview.

I appreciate your different perspectives. I sent the note yesterday. Wish me luck! :)

Interesting the differences between countries. I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing. Doesn't it make you seem a little desperate?

yes, this is what I was thinking too - if I received a "thank you for the interview" note I'd think "wow, pushy much?". I was discussing this with some friends at work, two of whom have been on hiring committees and one who is a recruiter by profession. They all agreed that it is simply not done here - ok to send something after you've had a response yes or no, but not before.

Isn't it interesting how different things are in different parts of the world.