Menu

Isaac friends check in!

Don't want to resurrect the other thread...please check in if you can. The storm moved closer to my family and we may well end up with the good side AND the bad side. It keeps stalling, looping back around, slowing down, tracking more west (to me). We are expected to have 12 + hours of hurricane force winds. Hope our tree's hold out! Now that it's light outside, I can see that most things around me are fine thankfully.

Please keep us posted, cajunrose! I have relatives in New Orleans who have chosen to stay, as their area did not flood last time. But they've been without power since last night. I'd love to hear from you later today how things are there. Hope your family and home are safe, too.

We have lost power off and on but overall, pretty happy with how the power has been overall. We have large limbs falling on our house right now and it's too bad to go out and look.

PLEASE be thinking/praying for my friend. She's a fellow homeschooler about 30 minutes from me. She has 9 kids and a large tree fell on her home on the children's rooms..she has water pouring in right now. Nobody is hurt. I am concerned because they don't have 2 pennies to rub together. Hope they'll be ok in the long run. I'll keep you up to date on that too.

Overall, things are fine. I took a digger on my bike yesterday and messed up the whole right side of my body and am in a lot of pain (fell on my head..my head hit the grass but jarred me. My neck is very sore, ribs, knee's, wrist, etc) and NOT looking forward to cleanup so I'm hoping it's minimal. Thank you dear husband for yearly maintenance on my bike...tightening up my breaks for me..lol

Please keep us posted, cajunrose! I have relatives in New Orleans who have chosen to stay, as their area did not flood last time. But they've been without power since last night. I'd love to hear from you later today how things are there. Hope your family and home are safe, too.

From what I can see, NOLA is fairing well. SOUTH of NOLA had a levee breach and people are having to be rescued, but it was a mandatory evacuation area. Not discounting the fact that people are in real danger, but they give mandatory's for a reason.

It's all good here so far...power went out around 6:30 am...not starting the generator yet. We'll wait a bit longer. Cow shelter is no longer a viable out of the rain option. The tarp was already wearing out and the calves made a couple of holes even larger with their curious nature...the tarp is beyond repair at this point...that's ok. Thankyou Isaac for making it easier for me to remove.

We have lots of wind gusts, but the rain has been sparse. Its coming down very slowly.

It's all good here so far...power went out around 6:30 am...not starting the generator yet. We'll wait a bit longer. Cow shelter is no longer a viable out of the rain option. The tarp was already wearing out and the calves made a couple of holes even larger with their curious nature...the tarp is beyond repair at this point...that's ok. Thankyou Isaac for making it easier for me to remove.

We have lots of wind gusts, but the rain has been sparse. Its coming down very slowly.

I KNOW...I wish he would just hurry up and move on out!!! Our power went out at 4:30, my husband had the generator on at 4:35. I think he was excited about running it for the first time and wanted to make sure it did what it should

Lol. Hubby is a seasoned pro now...we wait a while or it comes out when he gets hot. :tongue_smilie:Being a Yankee in the south can be a bit too warm for their nature.

I.m probably goong to have him crank it for a half hour or so for the fridge here in a bit. Then we'll hook up the freezers later.

Its baked potato soup for dinner tonight. Got milk I need to use up and fresh potaoes from a friend. Made toast on the gas top with apple cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast. Want to look into a proper toasting fork for campfire cooking now! Tongs don't work as well, lol.

Also reminded DH that we will keep a gas cooktop in our house...just for this reason, lol. We do have a crawfish pot and burner though with two propane tanks. Its good to use the burner for outside cooking when it starts getting too warm to cook inside.

Will be praying for your friend!

My neighborhood is out of power. The water is at about 7 feet now. Our home is at 12 feet, but there are many homes in our neighborhood at 8 feet. We won't know the true water rise until after the storm has passed because the storm at this point is still pushing water into the lake. We know from those who stayed during Katrina, our neighborhood didn't flood until the storm passed and the water rushed out of the lake, since we are at the bottleneck.

We evacuated so we are fine. And our families that live on 'the Landmass' are all fine with this storm.

My neighborhood is out of power. The water is at about 7 feet now. Our home is at 12 feet, but there are many homes in our neighborhood at 8 feet. We won't know the true water rise until after the storm has passed because the storm at this point is still pushing water into the lake. We know from those who stayed during Katrina, our neighborhood didn't flood until the storm passed and the water rushed out of the lake, since we are at the bottleneck.

We evacuated so we are fine. And our families that live on 'the Landmass' are all fine with this storm.

Can you believe that???? The "Landmass"??? I was mad FOR Mississippi!!!

We are in VA, but I'm from LA with lots of family from Slidell to Baton Rouge. All are ok this morning, one aunt is without power in Tangipahoa (sp?) Parish and everyone in Baton Rouge is a bit nervous listening to the winds.

We were supposed to fly down today for a visit, but were rescheduled for Friday. Just in time to help with clean-up.:tongue_smilie:

Hope all you WTM folks stay safe!

My sister is in NOLA at Tulane. She's over the hurricane. I don't think she realized it would last this long. They are on lockdown. They lost power around 8:30 last night. No flooding on campus, but a few windows were blown out. The rest of my family is in the Lafayette area. They are just now starting to get a little rain. Winds are up, but now power outages yet.

My husband's family lives all over the north shore in St Tammany parish. We're worried here about the storm surge since MIL's house is two blocks off Lake Pontchartrain. It flooded badly in Katrina. She rebuilt then, but didn't raise the house any higher off the ground.

Our niece at Tulane evacuated to her family in Covington earlier this week. They're staying put there, as is the SIL living just north of I-12. The third SIL is staying where she works, helping the residents in a nursing home in Mandeville.

Praying that everyone stays safe!

Just got a picture from neighbors that stayed. One neighbor's roof is in our street. The local news is reporting that the worst is still yet to come for St.Tammany. Our neighbors are going to be moving their cars to our driveway, because at 12 feet, we are the highest house on our street. Anxiety is running high for those that have stayed. I really feel for the little ones riding this thing out. We have homeschooling neighbors across from us that are riding it out on a sailboat.

Just got a picture from neighbors that stayed. One neighbor's roof is in our street. The local news is reporting that the worst is still yet to come for St.Tammany. Our neighbors are going to be moving their cars to our driveway, because at 12 feet, we are the highest house on our street. Anxiety is running high for those that have stayed. I really feel for the little ones riding this thing out. We have homeschooling neighbors across from us that are riding it out on a sailboat.

What city/area do you live in? My parents are in Slidell and they are doing well. Granted, they are in one of the few areas that did not flood in Katrina, but they haven't even had the usual street flooding.

Is one of the news stations giving more info on the Northshore?

Hope your home and friends are ok!

Lots of wind, but not much rain so far. We are a little north of BR, so I think our worst is still to come.

Ok, 20 min later and we lost our power. Generator going now. It's crazy that I still have satellite internet signal.

Edited by StaceyinLA

We live in Slidell in a waterfront neighborhood that did flood in Katrina.

The best source of news is to listen to wwl online.

100%:iagree:

I have an iphone radio app so I've been carrying the news around with me all day. The news is straight from the source - Landrieu, Jindall, Yenni, all the local officials giving regular updates.

Hope all are faring well. As I feared, Isaac pulled a stall. The move west also put NOLA on the east side, terrible for all the northshore neighborhoods. Madisonville apparently got hit with much worse flooding than anticipated and the power outages are widespread.

Thinking of you all...

Still no power, but friends 12 miles away had it most of today...dont know if they still do though. The kids are taking a cool shower by choice and heading off to bed ontheir mattresses moved to the living room floor since the breeze is flowing g ood through there. I actually got to finish the afghan I was working on. I may add one more row of edging to it. I have very little yarn left over. I love that when it happens. starting on another tomorrow. Played uno and sorry with DH kids. Wind has died down a little, but could pick back up. Flooding in lowlying areas but they knew that would happen. This giant is moving 5 miles an hour. I can walk faster than that, lol. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Most of my neighbors who stayed were able to evacuate during the day today. The last report that we got was that the houses on our street had still not flooded. We are getting conflicting reports of whether or not the water will continue to rise through the night.

Some of our friends across town had to evacuate by boat this afternoon. In Slidell, however, all areas that are flooding have flooded before. In other parts of our parish, and in other surrounding parishes, there is flooding where there has not been flooding before. I suspect the reason for this is due to the increased levees. Our neighborhood is outside the new levee that was put in Slidell after Katrina. Normally, the floodwaters would disperse throughout the parish, but now the wall is protecting some, at the expense of others.

Now for those who have relatives in St. Tammany, much of the parish is under a boil water notice as the water system has become contaminated. Unfortunately, with most of the power being out, I can't see how people are expected to be able to boil water.

This storm is definitely changing the definition of a Cat 1 storm. Still, nothing like Katrina, but psychologically devastating because it is happening on the anniversary.

Saw the same thing about Slidell on the morning news.

They were saying that, although this was a Cat 1 storm, some areas have as much, some more, damage as fro Katrina. Just unfathomable.

So glad some of you are checking in. Wondering about Cajunrose.

I'm here. We got lucky and stayed on the west side of the storm. We have a mess to clean up but nothing we can't handle. We only got 5.5 inches of rain..no levee breaches, etc. Yes, this storm rocked everybody's world. Crazy. I think that the powers that be have been great at getting everybody safe very quickly though when the levee's breached. We have had storms stall out before, but this one, man...he's just not leaving! Trees can only take so much beating and saturation before they come down.

Wishing everybody my best. I hope everybody faired well and stayed high and dry.

I'm here. We got lucky and stayed on the west side of the storm. We have a mess to clean up but nothing we can't handle. We only got 5.5 inches of rain..no levee breaches, etc. Yes, this storm rocked everybody's world. Crazy. I think that the powers that be have been great at getting everybody safe very quickly though when the levee's breached. We have had storms stall out before, but this one, man...he's just not leaving! Trees can only take so much beating and saturation before they come down.

Wishing everybody my best. I hope everybody faired well and stayed high and dry.

Glad to hear this! My sister is suffering terribly from the effects of Isaac. She has had no Internet access for almost 36 hours. She is soooooo bored. Worst of all, she is making a collage and cannot find any glitter! The horror!

On a serious note, I will be praying for everyone in the path. There is some serious rain with that snail of a storm. Poor Mississippi!

Glad to hear this! My sister is suffering terribly from the effects of Isaac. She has had no Internet access for almost 36 hours. She is soooooo bored. Worst of all, she is making a collage and cannot find any glitter! The horror!

On a serious note, I will be praying for everyone in the path. There is some serious rain with that snail of a storm. Poor Mississippi!

Ha!!! First world problems..lol Hopefully she can find some glitter....rofl Glad she is generally ok though. My daughter was bored out of her mind and we had power!! She's used to being outside though.

Haha! My dd's campus is closed today...she's still in the bed. LOL!

Haha! My dd's campus is closed today...she's still in the bed. LOL!

Tulane doesn't have class until Tuesday, but at least half of the students stayed. Sister opted to face Isaac rather than face being stuck with our crazy mother for days. I don't think she regrets her choice, despite the lack of glitter.

Y'all crack me up. I bet she'll be more prepared for next times collage crafting episode.

The rain has slowed, wind has died down. Kids are sooooooooooooooo bored. We're still schooling and i'm getting the "why can't we be off like the other kids"? To which I replied, "you can, i'll enroll you on monday". That stopped that. I told then earlier that I was just helping them out. They looked at me funny and I said, "now you won't be bored"! They didnt seen to find that amusing for some reason :D

We have no power, and prob won't for at least another day or so, but we have generators and certainly aren't suffering. We have LOTS of trees/limbs down, but other than that, we are really in good shape.

What amazes me is that our satellite tv and Internet have continued to work through the entire storm. Normally we lose both during rainy weather. Strange...

Ugh..they are expecting a dam to break/breech in Mississippi. Immediate mandatory evacuation orders listed. Read here:

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Tangipahoa-Parish-orders-immediate-evacuation-after-potential-levee-breach-167994886.html

I've got lots of kin on that river. If y'all can spare some prayers, they would be greatly appreciated...

We just got word that my mother-in-law in old Mandeville escaped flooding by a matter of inches. The water is almost up to her doorstep, but she'll be fine. So relieved here! We don't think she could have stood rebuilding all over again.

Our niece in Robert wasn't so lucky. She evacuated this afternoon when it became obvious that their house would flood. The water in the street was already waist deep when they got out.

Seasider, I hope your family is OK!

Make sure they know they need to get out NOW. They are opening shelters in Hammond and surrounding area's. I'm keeping them in my thoughts!

Thanks, Stephenie. Glad you didn't get major damage. This big boy parked after all, didn't he? I just had that feeling. Blue Moon Hurricane...

We just got word that my mother-in-law in old Mandeville escaped flooding by a matter of inches. The water is almost up to her doorstep, but she'll be fine. So relieved here! We don't think she could have stood rebuilding all over again.

Our niece in Robert wasn't so lucky. She evacuated this afternoon when it became obvious that their house would flood. The water in the street was already waist deep when they got out.

Seasider, I hope your family is OK!

Oh, Kathy, I am so sorry but glad they got out. One of mine is also in Robert. They did the math, know their elevation and are counting on the controlled water release to save the dam. If it fails, they'll have, what, 90 minutes? They have no kids but horses and I guess that's why they are holding out.

No word yet on the others. I will be glad to see some fb chatter resume, that's the way we've been keeping tabs on everyone with no need for multiple calls. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.