Menu

Societal Assessment; a survey of sorts

A friend of mine wrote these questions on his blog. I found them interesting and thought it would work well here, too. I am slightly altering a couple things, so they fit better with our audience. I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

1. Would you give your life for your country? If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country?

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police?

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway?

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse?

5. Would you die for your faith? If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do?

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene?

Looking forward to your thoughts. :001_smile:

1. Would you give your life for your country? If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country?

No, I do not believe the war is the answer.

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police?

Yes.

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway?

No.

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse?

Probably not but I would talk with my friend about doing so and it would probably put an end to our friendship as well if disclosures were not made. If I was friends with the spouse, I'd tell my friend that by x date I would inform the spouse. I just wouldn't feel comfortable exposing the information if I wasn't friends with the spouse.

5. Would you die for your faith? If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do?

If someone put a gun to my head and asked me to sing the alphabet backwards, I'd give it a try. I don't feel statements made under duress as anything more than a chance to stay alive, my faith wouldn't be impacted by such an action either.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene?

I would absolutely intervene in terms of getting other people to notice and making a scene if it's among a group of people and action would happen (calls made, thugs approached, etc).

If I'm alone, then I'd probably be calling 911, freaking out about what else I could do and then act further based on further information is obtained from the scene or whatever. If major sounds of distress were happening, screaming, whatever, then most likely I would act far braver than I felt and approach the situation while praying that support was going to appear any moment and that we'd all live through the encounter.

A friend of mine wrote these questions on his blog. I found them interesting and thought it would work well here, too. I am slightly altering a couple things, so they fit better with our audience. I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

This sounds like a copout but it depends. I would definitely help in effort, probably as back up, be I would be useless in a gun fight.

Yes, I would also go with them and stay by their side

No

Absolutely not! They might or might not already know and it would be unlikely to be considered kind or useful.

That seems like a useless way to defend my faith. I would lie and denounce. If you asked if I would risk my job or societal acceptance by standing by my faith (something that has a purpose) then yes I would.

Yes, although again I am not very imposing, but I would scream and yell and try to help physically (urgh spelling?)

I can't wait to see what others say.

No

Yes

No

hmmm I'd talk to the friend, and I probably couldn't continue to be their friend if they continued to be dishonest. I'm not sure I'd go to the spouse - might depend on how well I knew him/her

not applicable

I'd call for help / get onto the police. If there was anything I physically *could* do I would, but no, I wouldn't run in there on my own if I were just going to become a victim too. If I could make others see and hear I would also make sure the thugs knew they were being seen and heard, if that makes sense?

Interesting questions!

To defend people, maybe, to defend my country, no. In other words, are the invaders interested in ethnic cleansing or our oils and gas reserves? I'd fight against the first, not the second.

Yes

No

Probably not, but I would also no longer associate with the friend.

I don't have a spiritual figure, but I would probably fake it rather than die for my (non) beliefs.

I think I would intervene in the way that promised the best outcome for both the victim and myself. I would hope that I would not stand by and do nothing if the only way to save the stranger was at risk to myself, but I can't be sure on that one..

Yes!!

Yep, although I would stay with my child and give him moral support if he wanted/needed me.

Knowing how the system works here, that is a hard one to answer. I might.

No I wouldn't, and I've been put in that position before. It's not my place, I talked to my friend, I offered to go with her if she needed, but she talked to her dh and then called me to cry after.

If only I could be so lucky. I would like to say I wouldn't, but odds are I would.

YES!!!!

:001_smile:

Depends.

Yes.

No.

No.

I dont know what i would do.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene?I hope i would.

Answers above in color.

I answered my friend, but I'll answer here, too.

I am not sure about this one. Some of it would depend if I knew where my kids were and if they were safe and hidden. OTOH, dh would be willing to defend me and would probably want me safe and hidden, so I'm not sure how that would play out.

Yes.

No. I would not create an alibi. I would tell the police if I thought it was possible or very unlikely that my child was involved, but I would not lie.

I might if it was on-going. I would probably not if it was a one-time event. I have been in this situation before, but not in any recent years.

I would not denounce Jesus. I would rather be a martyr than a traitor. That is my gut response, though I feel almost amused with myself, because I consider myself a poor example of a Christian. But to turn on my "faith" because someone is pointing a gun at me? If I survived, I would die of shame.

I would intervene. I'd like to be all logical and say I would call the police, yell, do all this sort of Big and Loud stuff, but I don't think I would behave that way. The instinct to intervene would be stronger than the logic of who I needed to call, etc. I have intervened in less dire situations a few times, i.e, drunk guy ruffing up his gf, ranting street person at a city bus stop. It wasn't really logical that I intervened, but I wasn't going to just walk away.

Yes. I was in the Army, so I was trained to do so and I would. I would take down as many bad guys with me on my way out.

Yes.

No.

Yes. I absolutely HATE and ABHOR adulterers and as soon as I found out, I would be disgusted with that "friend" and I probably couldn't be friends with them after that.

I want to say yes, I REALLY want to. I would hope that I could do so... but, I have always wandered if I could silently pray in that situation to let the Lord know that HE knows my heart and I was only speaking those words (denouncing my faith) because I was scared for my life and didn't want to leave my child(ren) without a mother. Also, if the gunmen let me live, and I could find a way, I would take them out, even if I might die trying... I know, it makes no sense.

Yes. If my young child(ren) was with me, I would stay out of sight and call the police. Unless I had a gun, then I would shoot first andmaybe ask questions later. If they my kids) were not with me, I would call the police, keep them on the phone and then try to kill those thugs or at least beat them to within an inch of their lives. I hate thugs. I hate criminals. I'm normally not a violent person, don't pick fights, etc. but I could *absolutely* kill a thug/criminal/murderer/pedophile, etc. without thinking twice, and I would never regret it.

My answers may not be PC or popular, and may not be very Christian of me, but they are honest.

1. Would you give your life for your country?

Not if I didn't have to. I'm very happy to live somewhere this sort of thing isn't commonly required!

If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country?
Not if I didn't have to. There are other roles to play in war that I'm better suited to.

Yes.

No.

The friend and I wouldn't be good friends for much longer after I'd said what I would say and that'd include telling this friend that they'd better spill before I did. I wouldn't inform the spouse without talking to "friend" first.

Heck no. Would I die for myself? Nope, that wouldn't do me any good. But this question doesn't really apply to my situation.

I don't know. I wouldn't do nothing, but I don't know what I would do.

Rosie

I would fight to protect family, friends, neighbors, whether the invader was from afar or was my country itself. I would not willingly give my life, but I would fight tooth and nail to keep those I love and myself free from tyranny.

Depends on the reason why my child murdered someone, really. Although even if my child was in the right (say murdering someone that attempted to rape or kill them), I would encourage them to go to the police.

I'm assuming this one actually means they are suspected of murder. I probably wouldn't provide an alibi, just truthfully state I do not know where they were.

So hard! Definitely would if the spouse asked me directly. But then, the cheater could be putting the spouse at risk for STDs. Cheater would have to deal with a harsh talking to from me, at the very least.

I have no faith, so easy enough to denounce nothing I guess! I will fight to keep my right to remain free from religious rule, though, so if the gunman wants me to denounce and give in to their religion he better pull that trigger fast before I can get my hands on him!

Yes. Maybe not rushing in and fighting them barehanded, but I would yell at them from the street in hopes they disperse, calling to passers-by for help, and dialing 911.

So few things are black and white!

No.

Yes, though I'd encourage them to do so first.

No, I would provide honest answers.

Scripture gives protocol for handling a friend whose gone down that road.

I would pray. I wouldn't denounce my faith. Anything man does, God is more than capable of handling.

I'd call the police, holler, blow the horn, whatever I could. Obviously the situation would determine how far was necessary. I wouldn't walk away, of course!

Not knowing what I know about the government and the reasons we go to war. I'm not throwing my life away so that some rich guy can get a bit richer. I would take up arms to defend the country if we were invaded, though. Or in the case of zombies. Or aliens.

Yes. Of course, I can't imagine my daughter hurting someone unless out of self defense.

Not if I knew she killed someone, unless it was in self defense.

Yes, because I would want to know if it was me.

No, but my version of God doesn't really get offended over stuff like that. Life is more sacred to me than acts of verbal bravado.

Assuming my dd wasn't with me, yes. I would risk my life to save someone else, but I wouldn't risk her life.

Edited by Mergath

Probably not for my country as such. I'm not really into the whole nationalist/patriotic thing. I believe all humans are my brothers and sisters, no country is better than another (although many could undoubtedly be run better), and it's just luck that I was born where I was. If my country were invaded, I would work to promote peace and/or alleviate the harm of war in whatever way made sense under the circumstances. This might involve taking up arms, but would more likely involve some kind of work looking after wounded or displaced people.

I would ask her/him to give her/himself up, and do everything I could to support her/him through the consequences.

No. I don't think they'd even ask.

Depends.

N/a.

Trying to think about it the other way around, if the masked gunman was a religious extremist who threatened to kill me if I didn't swear allegience to his deity... When I was younger I would have said no way, I would rather die than say something I don't mean. But nowadays my life is worth more because of my kids who'd be orphaned. So I think I'd squirm out of it by answering sure, I'd say anything he wanted because (a) it doesn't actually help anyone for me to resist and (b) he's the one doing wrong, not me.

Depends. I wouldn't enter a physical fight I have virtually no chance of winning if I had a child with me who was too small to run away. Provided my kids were safe, I'd do whatever I could to help the woman.

Edited by Hotdrink

Maybe. Survival of my child is my top priority. For example, if Canada were to invade with their ideas of socialist health care and an official bilingual government I'd welcome them with open arms. If it were say, North Korea, I'd be part of the resistance.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Yes, I would die for my faith. It'd be very hard because I would be afraid for my child.

Yes, and I have done this in the past. My lesson was that I need to call 911 first and then go help out the victim.

1. So much would depend on the circumstances that I can't give a definite yes or no.

2. If my child murdered someone, I would go to the police.

3. I would not lie to provide an alibi.

4. I would probably give my friend the opportunity to tell first, then tell myself if she didn't.

5. I don't know. I would probably say whatever it took to keep myself alive.

6. In that circumstance, I would call 9-1-1. I'd be afraid of making things worse if I jumped into the fray. The police would be far more effective in that situation than I would, and they would be dealing with only one victim instead of possibly two. I'd be yelling for help, trying to call as much attention to the situation as possible, but unless I was armed (and trained) or had some other way to effectively intervene I probably would not follow them into the alley. In general, I do believe I would risk my own safety to help another person in distress.

Cat

1. Only if Americans invaded. I already know a little Russian and could live with them just fine. Them, I like. The others. No thanks. ;):tongue_smilie:
  2. Yes. I would be grieved about it, but yes.
  3. No. Again, it would grieve me, but no.
  4. No. It's not my story to tell.
  5. I don't have a "faith" per se, but I wouldn't die for that either.
  6. Yes. I don't know what I would do, but I know I wouldn't do nothing.

Edited by Audrey

Maybe. Survival of my child is my top priority. For example, if Canada were to invade with their ideas of socialist health care and an official bilingual government I'd welcome them with open arms. If it were say, North Korea, I'd be part of the resistance.

LOL. :iagree:

Yes.

No.

Not likely. I would advise my friend to admit to his/her infidelity, and end the friendship if he/she continued in the deceit.

No, I don't think verbal statements are the stuff of faith anyway. I'm not a confessional Christian. My faith is based on the way I live my life, and how I treat others. For me, a more relevant question would be, "Would you quit living your faith to save your life?" And I think the answer to that would have to be "No."

Yes, I would, but I would not do so recklessly or without taking whatever precautions I can to reduce the risk of harm to myself. I have my husband and my son to think of as well.

I served in the Navy, so yes.

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police?Depends. If it was cold-blooded, yes. If they murder an abuser, nope. That's just street justice.

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway? Nope. Tough love.

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse? Yes. Real friends help their friends become better people.

5. Would you die for your faith? If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do? I'm more scared of God than a lunatic with a gun.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene?Yes. I would hope someone would do the same for me.

Answers in red.

1. Would you give your life for your country? No

If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country? No

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police? I would not, but i would urge them to

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway? No, I would tell the truth and hope my child did the same

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse? No, I would urge them to be honest

5. Would you die for your faith? Yes

If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do? stand strong in my faith. I may not stand up to the gunman, i would not denounce my god.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? Yes

If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene? Yes

1. Would you give your life for your country? If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country? Sure

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police? Yes

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway? Don't know. Do I know for sure she murdered someone or is it alleged?

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse? Yes

5. Would you die for your faith? If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do? I'd be a martyr.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene? Yes to both counts as long as it did not put my child in danger

My answers may not be PC or popular, and may not be very Christian of me, but they are honest.

Well, that is the point.

May I ask the purpose of the survey?

Seems to me that people might answer differently depending on all different factors, including how they feel when you ask. Plus we are notoriously poor at predicting how we'd act in given circumstances anyway.

It's really just to enjoy seeing what people think about these questions that challenge what you (general you) will stand for.I do agree that projecting what you would do and actually having the situation happen is not necessarily the same thing. But, if you answer with your gut feeling, it is probably pretty likely to be correct. I think it's enjoyable to consider these questions when I came across them and I thought it might be interesting to others to think through these questions themselves. :001_smile:

No, I do not believe in violence as a solution to problems.

Of course. I would do my best to make sure my child got every opportunity for fair treatment and mercy, but I would never hide such a thing.

No. See above.

No, I don't think so. If it were the other way around, if I knew for sure my friend's spouse was cheating, I might strongly consider informing the friend. But I would not rat out a friend just because.

I don't believe I would lie to the spouse if I were asked, though.

My religion does not demand faith in a specific spiritual figure. I also don't believe that any supreme power worth worshiping would punish a person for speaking words under duress to "denounce" the power. In that situation, I would say what the aggressors demanded I say and do my best to get home to my family.

This is a tough one for me. I would intervene in the sense that I would call 911, yell for help, etc. However, I don't know for certain that I would rush into the fray to physically defend a stranger. I'm not all that much use in a fight, honestly. And I do believe I have a responsibility to my children and my loved ones not to put myself in danger unnecessarily.

Obviously, I would not stand by and watch someone being hurt simply to save my own skin, but I think there's a rather enormous grey area in terms of appropriate responses to the hypothetical situation.

1. Would you give your life for your country? Maybe. Depends on what we were fighting for. If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country? Absolutely.

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police? It depends on the circumstances.

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway? Probably not.

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse? No. I have never met anyone who was having an affair. I would be shocked, that is for sure. Other than that, I don't know what I would say to my friend -- but it would be a first for me to be close friends with someone who I didn't think had integrity. The circumstances would matter to me.

5. Would you die for your faith? Not if it could be avoided.If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do? I don't think it makes any difference - the gunman will likely shoot me no matter what I say.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? Maybe. Depends on the circumstances. If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene?I'd call 911 and try to get bystanders to help. If I got directly involved, I'd likely just become a second victim. Now, if I had a gun and was a good shot, could move easily, was in good shape, and was younger, yeah. Sure.

Edited by RoughCollie

As a Canadian..yes.

Without a single shadow of a doubt...and my kids all know that my loyalty lies with what is right...not who someone is to me.

No!

No, however I would strongly encourage my friend to tell her spouse. I would also have an extremely difficult time keeping the friendship.

I'd deny, deny, deny.

A child, yes. An adult woman, my conscience would force me to..but, I'd like to think I wouldn't. I have three children to raise. I would however do whatever it took to get help for that woman immediately. Having two dead women I do not think would help.

1. Would you give your life for your country? If you were invaded, would you take up arms, whether you are civilian or military, to defend your country? I would give my life, but I wouldn't take up arms. I don't think I could shoot anyone under any circumstances.

2. If your child murdered someone and told you about it, would you inform the police? Yes

3. If your child murdered someone and you had no idea where they were that day, would you provide an alibi for them anyway? No

4. If you knew a good friend of yours was cheating on their spouse, would you inform the spouse? It depends on the circumstances. I would probably threaten to tell the spouse to force the friend to confess on their own.

5. Would you die for your faith? If masked gunman invaded your house of worship and threatened death for anyone who would not denounce their Spiritual Figure (i.e, Jesus, Mohammed, G-d, etc.), what would you do? I wouldn't denounce my faith even if I was threatened.

6. Would you risk your life to defend a stranger? If you came around a corner just in time to see 3 thugs drag a woman into an alley, would you intervene? Yes, but I'm hotheaded that way.