Menu

Cleaning a stainless saucepan?

I burned canola oil on the bottom of the pan and can't get it off. I tried soaking it in dish soap and hot water and a little came off. Then I tried letting a baking soda paste sit on it overnight and a little more came off.

The remainder won't budge! Any suggestions besides a belt sander? :D

:bigear:

I use baking soda to scrub the burnt stuff. I pour all the water out of the pan and squeeze my sponge until it's only slightly damp before I put in a generous amount of baking soda. If the baking soda gets too wet, it doesn't scour as well. I usually have to repeat the process two or three times with fresh baking soda before everything comes off. You could also use steel wool, but that will scratch the pan.

Add water to the pan and then reheat it on the stove, or pour boiling water into the pan and let it sit. Use salt and baking soda as the abrasives.

I have not tried it, but a friend swears by using oven cleaner for anything like this. She said it removed everything, and then with a good heavy, soapy cleaner she can wash off the oven cleaner so the pan is safe to cook in again.

Oven cleaner sounds like a good idea. I have never tried that.

I usually have dh scrub those as he can add more strength than I can.

I have heard that almost anything can come off by taking a garbage bag, put in some ammonia, place pan inside, seal shut, leave over night. I don't remember if I tried this.:tongue_smilie:

Smells awful, and you may have to repeat a few times, but fill it full of distilled white vinegar and boil for at least 10 minutes. Dump, scrub, repeat if necessary. No chemicals & very effective.

ETA: this was the ONLY thing that was effective when DH burnt a batch of canola oil and popcorn in one pan... Pan turned black nothing helped, tried everything, boiling vinegar started taking it off in sheets of black gunk.

Edited by Katy

Another vote for Barkeeper's Friend. They have it at Walmart & Target, too, as well as many grocery stores. If you can't find that, Zud also has oxalic acid in it. That seems to be what makes it work so well for cleaning burnt on stuff and metal marks on porcelain, etc.

bar keepers friend might work. That sticky burned oil is SUCH a pain! I have also used one of those razor blade scrapers to take stuff off a pan. Sometimes a combo of Barkeeper's Friend and the scraper.

I would make a past of barkeepers friend and let it sit a good long time and then scrape it off.

Another vote for Barkeeper's Friend. They have it at Walmart & Target, too, as well as many grocery stores. If you can't find that, Zud also has oxalic acid in it. That seems to be what makes it work so well for cleaning burnt on stuff and metal marks on porcelain, etc.

:iagree: Love Barkeeper's Friend! I use it to clean my stainless sink, too.

:iagree:

Barkeeper's Friend is amazing. We get it at the local grocery store.