Menu

Need a new NON-HE washing machine

Our Maytag served us well for nearly 10 years, but as of this afternoon, it is deceased. We need a new one, a top loader, just a regular old washing machine. I've been all over town, and everything is HE, and very expensive. How do I find the more traditional machines, with agitator, the kind you can open up and just fix when there's a problem? I've looked at Kenmore, which I heard was a good name, but the non-HE machines aren't rated very well. Maybe that's because they're not fancy and don't do much except wash clothes? Or, are they actually poor?

Please help. Everytime I find a non-HE machine, I discover that the ratings are awful. I don't mind spending the money -- $750 to $1,000, I could live with that. Most of the ones I'm finding are $500 or so, but I wouldn't mind spending more to get a better traditional machine, if there is such a thing out there...somewhere.

Sandy

I have an HE machine and I very much just open it up and fix it of there is a problem. It comes with a manual and the few issues we have had have been easy fixes (usually we just have to clean out a little gunk screen because with 2 boys a lot of randomness ends up in the machine.) our water bill is tiny and we use very little soap.

Edited by kijipt

Speed Queen? It might have to be ordered depending on your area.

Speed Queen all the way. :001_smile:

Speed Queen!! I love mine. Mine cost about $750.

Speed Queen. Right around $600. You'll have to find a mom and pop appliance store in your area.

Love our Speed Queen! It was around $750.

:iagree: When my beloved Maytag bit the dust I did lots of research on just what machine to replace it with. We ended up purchasing a Speed Queen and have been so pleased. The man who delivered it told me that it's what he bought his own mom. I bought the floor model because I didn't want to wait weeks for the store to get a shipment. :)

We have a Whirlpool washing machine. Not HE. I bought it here, early in 1995, but it was intended to be sold in the USA and it was not an export model. After watching service people work on it, 2 or 3 times, my wife learned how to fix it. :lol: I can buy parts for it, about 10 minutes from where we live. Possibly in the USA, you can get easily get parts for an HE machine, but where I get parts for our Whirlpool, when I asked the woman about parts for HE machines, she said it can be difficult or impossible, for her to get parts for them, depending on the make and model.

There are 4 tiny plastic pieces in our Whirlpool that my wife has replaced, twice. So far, she hasn't needed any other parts. :001_smile: The set costs approximately USD$6.

One thing the Whirlpool service man told us, years ago, the first time the machine had service, was NEVER to change the brand/kind of detergent that you use in a washing machine. We had always used FAB (and still do) and he couldn't believe how many years the machine had been in use, because it was so clean inside.

Our next door neighbors have a non HE machine, made here in Colombia, that has been in use for about 30 years. I doubt that any HE machine would have a long life like that. GL

• 2 weeks later...

LOVE my new Speed Queen. It replaced an 18-year-old Magic Chef that had never had a single repair. I did not want electronic ANYTHING. I couldn't cope with any type of mildew smell and I grew weary of reading things like "I love it! I just leave the door open, clean the seal regularly, use special detergent, and it's ONLY been serviced twice in five years!". No thanks. I just want to get my clothes clean in under an hour and not think about the machine for a decade or two.

Even top loaders have water restrictions now, but the Speed Queens let you override that manually if you have a load that needs more water. They also have a three-year warranty. Go to their website to find where to get one in your town. I thought going to the local mom and pop place would be pricey, but they were very close to the best price I saw online.