Menu

What kind of music do you listen to and what are your favorite musicians/cd's?

I happened upon some great celtic music (by way of Plaid Dad's blog) that I would never have stumbled upon myself. And it left me wondering what else I am missing out on. I am a pretty classical girl, myself. I'm really not into pop, country, rock, etc. I check out classical music cd's from the library to listen to while I work around the house and when driving in the car. I really like Yo-Yo Ma, the famous cellist. But I'm certainly not an expert on classical music; I just peruse the library shelves. So what do you listen to?

My favorites haven't changed much in the past 20 years, lol. The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Skinny Puppy, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Front 242, Green Day, The Smiths, XTC.....the list goes on. I also am a big fan of disco, strangely enough, and usually have a few disco tunes in my playlists.

Hope you find more things to enjoy!

Jacqui

My favorites haven't changed much in the past 20 years, lol. The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Skinny Puppy, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Front 242, Green Day, The Smiths, XTC.....the list goes on. I also am a big fan of disco, strangely enough, and usually have a few disco tunes in my playlists.

Thrill kill

thrill kill

thrill kill kult

America's most dangerous cult

I saw them in concert way back when, they opened for somebody I can't remember who. I think I still have a cd too.

I'm not even going to bother recommending the likes I usally listen to ie. Pantera, Mushroomhead, TOOL, System of a Down, Motograter, Trivium, Nine Inch Nails or even Marilyn....but there's some good music from the 70s that is less abusive to the ears and quite diggable.

Janis Joplin for bluesy rock, Moody Blues for 70s progressive rock, Jethro Tull for flute rock, Led Zeppelin for haunting rock that combined a lot of different other genres and is really quite brilliant, Credence for 70s protest rock, there really is some good stuff that came out of the 70s, might be worth checking out. Its not all just disco baybee. :)

I really enjoy Celtic music, too! I also love Paul Simon, John Hiatt, Indigo Girls and most anything from the '70s. I like mellow rock.

I love Pandora.com because you can put in an artist you like and they will play music that similar in style. I have found some new music this way.

As far as type...classical, some pop, some country, folk music from other countries (especially France, Scotland, England, Ireland, ect.), soundtracks (TLOTR, Batman Begins, Beautiful Mind, A Good Year, and others). Oh, and I love Chant.

Love listening to U2, Regina Spektor, Patti Griffith, Norah Jones, Madeline Peroux, Justin Timberlake (why do I want to admit that? I don't know?! But I don't like the "rap" parts of the songs!), Maroon 5, and the Puntamayo cds. Did I mention U2?

I like just about every genre - except rap and hard rock. For the most part I would say I listen to contemporary Christian or easy rock. I love disco and I really like classical as well.

I just downloaded Coldplay's newest album - Viva la Vida last night off of i-Tunes and am loving it. I noticed that John Mayer has a new album too so that will probably be next. But then Mercy Me has an album I'm interested in as well....I'm all over the place. :001_smile:

I love music, all kinds! Classical (ancient to modern), Jazz, Folk, Rock, Alternative, Country, R&B, Punk, New Wave, Dance, Techo, Down Beat, Opera, International/World Music (Celtic, European, African, Mexican, Latin American, Middle Eastern, Asian, etc), Zydeco, Reggie, Ska, Big Band, and more I am most likely forgetting. The one genre I don't tend to like is Top 40 Pop (bubble gum over produced stuff).

Guest Virginia Dawn

I like to listen to older mellow type stuff.

The Mama's and the Papa's, Peter, Paul and Mary

The Beatles, John Denver, James Taylor, Simon and Garfunkel, Billy Joel, Old Mowtown recordings, Gloria Estefan, Old Broadway musical soundtracks.

I also like Big Band and Swing, Spanish guitar, Celtic music, Piano jazz- (Diana Krall is a recent favorite), Latin Jazz.

If the words and tunes are pleasant and don't make my head throb, I usually like it.

I'm weird about music-- I only listen to one CD at a time. Dh thinks it's very odd. But I've always been this way. I'll have a new favorite CD, and I don't want to hear anything else but that. So I play it over and over and over, whenever I want to hear music. Eventually I will get tired of that one, and mope around music-less for awhile until I discover a new favorite, then I'll only listen to that one.

Right now my CD of the moment is Sara Bareilles' Little Voice. I love it! She has a beautiful voice, and writes poignant, insightful lyrics. I think I have a few more weeks left at least before I move on. Previous CDs that have recently held this honor have been the Wicked soundtrack, Jars of Clay Redemption Songs, Awesome God by Sovereign Grace Ministries, Keane, and the Hairspray soundtrack.:)

Erica

I love all different types, not thrilled with jazz or disco, and listened to all different ones, until about five years ago, when I discovered:

Matchbox Twenty, & Rob Thomas, & Matchbox Twenty, & Rob Thomas, & Matchbox Twenty, & Rob Thomas, etc, etc, etc.

I love Nickelback too, they make their way in once in a while.

I'm weird about music-- I only listen to one CD at a time. ... I'll have a new favorite CD, and I don't want to hear anything else but that. So I play it over and over and over, whenever I want to hear music. Eventually I will get tired of that one, and mope around music-less for awhile until I discover a new favorite, then I'll only listen to that one.

Clearly you and my teen are sisters under the skin! Her current favorite (her "rut" as I call the favorite of the day) is Illuminate by Qntal.

See: Illuminate by Qntal

Sometimes I'll insist that she listen to something new at which point she may find a new favorite.

Regards,

Kareni

Yipeee! Old Blind Dogs!!! I thought I was the only OBD fan in my area (Orange County, CA) besides my two kids, until I went to a concert of theirs at a local library that has a great multicultural arts program. Well, I was not alone, but we still got front row seats. Literally, we could touch the stage. One of the best musical experiences of my life....summer night, outside, small venue, the fiddle, the pipes.......

Yipeee! Old Blind Dogs!!! I thought I was the only OBD fan in my area (Orange County, CA) besides my two kids, until I went to a concert of theirs at a local library that has a great multicultural arts program. Well, I was not alone, but we still got front row seats. Literally, we could touch the stage. One of the best musical experiences of my life....summer night, outside, small venue, the fiddle, the pipes.......

LOVE the Dogs! We saw them at the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage (read: awesome FREE venue in DC!), and like you, we, um, were able to get up nice and close. ;) There were some others there, too, though, so that's a good thing. Bummer that Jim Malcolm isn't singing for them anymore, but their newest CD without him, Four on the Floor, is still pretty darn good.

I love all kinds, but my faves are:

Cocteau Twins - ambient dream pop

the Sundays

Sarah McLachlan

Tori Amos

Alanis Morissette

Toad the Wet Sprocket

Simon & Garfunkel

Newer favorites:

Kate Rusby

Paolo Nutini

Les Paul and Mary Ford - recorded in the 50s (a simpler time, but Mary's voice is beautiful)

My 5 year old has renewed my love for the music from Cats.

I think I'll save this thread - you all have pointed out some music I would like to check out!