Menu

VBS snack question - am I being a freak?

So our church does "neighbourhood kids clubs" (aka VBS) and I'm hosting one. I'm really looking forward to it and I think it's going to be a lot of fun. We've got some great kids coming and my kids are very excited as well.

The church does everything. It's super that way because I just have to play hostess. They come in and do songs and stories with the kids, they supply the snacks and they even supply the craft materials and instructions. After all of the scheduled stuff is over everyone will get into the pool for a swim.

Now, here's my issue... I talked to the snack coordinator and she's dropping off the snacks tomorrow. One of the things she's dropping off is a big case of potato chips - and I'm wondering whether the mothers of the kids (particularly the little kids) who are being dropped off at my house are going to appreciate their little ones eating potato chips at 10am? I've mellowed out quite a bit since my first kid, but there was a time where I would have been quite upset if someone had handed my 5 year old a bag of chips at any time of day; let alone 10am.

I have no idea what the other snacks are. I'm also realizing that I'm starting to see faults with a lot of people/things in my life which means I'd better start dealing with the log in my own eye. You know when you start looking around and thinking everyone else is crazy at some point it's time to realize it's you; not them.

So, I'm posting a poll to see if I'm the crazy one or if this is actually a scenario that I should seek a solution to.

it would bother me, too, but I wouldn't say anything b/c I doubt the snack person would agree :glare: I would doubt most parents would object. With as much junk as most people feed their kids, I doubt they'll care at what time of day they get the potato chips. They're just as bad for you at 10 am as they are at dinner :tongue_smilie: Any other snack they want to substitute will be just as unhealthy unless it's veggie sticks and trail mix. :001_huh:

It wouldn't be my first choice to feed chips for a snack. That said, it is only for a short time and it won't kill them under the circumstances. If it were a daycare situation and the provider consistently fed my children chips every day that would be different. For VBS, I'd wink at it and let them enjoy the treat.

I might offer some fruit, too, but realistically, 1 bag of chips won't kill the kids and if parents have serious food concerns (like allergies), they'd certainly alert you.

I think it sounds like fun and if anyone complains you can always say "sorry, I simply served what the church provided. You are certainly welcome to have your child bring something else."

If I was concerned about it, I'd provide a healthy choice, in addition to what VBS provided. However, I attend a relatively large church where sometimes the snacks are junk food (either sugary or salty) and no one complains. I think it's not an issue to most people, especially at a fun event at someone else's house.

Ok, ok, it's me; not them :D

I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were my kids attending somewhere else.

Some of the moms are hanging out for coffee so I was going to make the carrot muffins anyhow. I may make some extra to have on hand and we've got to find a way to eat all of those cherries anyway so I'll probably bring those out too.

I think most people would probably see nothing wrong with the chips and they would think you're being a pain in the patootie. I'm not saying I think this about you btw. :) We try to stay on the healthy side of snacks for our VBS, soft pretzels, Italian ice, home made cookies, apple dippers, but it's hard to please everyone.

While it is true that chips at 10:00a.m. will not kill the kids, it is far from ideal. And unless parents are told ahead of time what the snacks are going to be, they might not think that there is any need to send something more appropriate along.

I would voice your concerns to the snack coordinator. If nothing else, it might give them reason to think about what is being served and why. Maybe they'll choose differently for next year if they know that parents aren't thrilled with what is being served.

I was thinking that I could make carrot muffins. Plus, we've got a cherry tree that's ripe now so I could offer bowls of cherries for snack. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of watermelons or maybe some oranges...

Sarah,

I think offering healthy alternatives is a wonderful idea. I dont want my kids eating chips at 10 am.

Jet

As long as the chips were peanut/tree nut free, it wouldn't bother me. If a mother feels that strongly about healthy snacks (or has allergies like my ds) she will probably send him with his own snack. The muffins and cherries will be nice though:001_smile:

Do you think most people would consider it rude if you send your kid with his own snacks?? Someone mentioned their church...one of the reasons it bothers me is b/c junky snacks are everywhere! Sports snacks, birthday parties, sunday school, treats from grandma, etc.....we try to eat really healthy and for now we're at 'these are once in a while snacks'.....but really, they're not since they are getting them all the time. I've thought about having them take their own snacks, but I figure it will come across as rude :001_huh:

Our VBS serves healthy snacks at the beginning of the week and gets gradually less healthy as the week progresses. I think it is funny. They might have veggies and dip on Monday and then on Friday have ice cream sundaes.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about serving chips. (Hopefully that won't be the only food the church provides???) When I send my kids to VBS or someone's house, I don't care what is served. I'm just happy to have some peace and quiet. :D:D

I was thinking that I could make carrot muffins. Plus, we've got a cherry tree that's ripe now so I could offer bowls of cherries for snack. I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of watermelons or maybe some oranges...

If you have fresh fruit - the kids will eat it up!

Most kids don't even know they like fruit because they've never been offered fresh fruit - just 3 week old, prematurely picked, heavily pesticided, grown in depleted soil fruit.

You are not crazy. They are!

And you might want to point out to them their own verse which states our bodies as temples and yada yada. Set a good example.

But - on the other hand - this is our crazy world. We did not create it - we were just born into it. So don't let the insanity of world who eats crap make you crazy. If you had to offer it - bless the food first.

But - I would offer the fresh homegrown at 10am! And save the chips for another event.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were my kids attending somewhere else.

Some of the moms are hanging out for coffee so I was going to make the carrot muffins anyhow. I may make some extra to have on hand and we've got to find a way to eat all of those cherries anyway so I'll probably bring those out too.

It's not you!

Food is meant to nourish and heal.

Yes - I agree with the poster who said something like "who really cares what they eat - as long as they eat and I get peace and quiet?"

I know my kid eats crap elsewhere. My whole thing is - I wish people would offer whole foods and nutritious foods sometimes SO THAT EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE - IIIIIIIIIII COULD BE THE ONE TO GIVE HER CRAP! KWIM?

I know we all eat crap - but let me be the one to give it to her!

When she was a toddler people would want to feed her cookies - it's their way of love. But to a toddler - an apple is lovely! Or some frozen blueberries. whatever.

Rant over.

I'd offer the carrot muffins, too. I'd feel so much guilt about giving other kids potato chips at 10 a.m. I wouldn't sweat it though if it were my own kids. We rarely have potato chips. They are a rare treat. So I'm weird, too.

I think it is a good time to teach moderation. "We don't usually eat chips in the morning but since it is a special week, it is okay".

I wouldn't worry a bit about what the other parents think. Have you looked in other people's shopping carts?!? The vast majority of people think chips are a veggie.:lol:

I agree. I think the majority of parents are aware that it is typical for children to eat somewhat unhealthy foods at events like this. I am assuming other items will be served along with the chips that will balance that out. I also like the comment someone made about chips being just as bad at 10am as 3pm. Time isn't an issue, it is the food that is an issue.

Having run a VBS for several years, there are several reasons they may have picked that snack: cost and/or convenience, and they may go with the theme for the week or the day's Bible story. We had a variety of snacks through the week; sometimes they were not as nutritious as other days. Last year we had homemade Christmas cookies that the kids frosted one day, but they went with the story of the birth of Jesus. Another day we had Doritos 'cause they had '3' corners, and face it, they were easy to prepare.

Sometimes the snack size of something is easy to hand out without prep work. The kids don't necessarily finish the snack either; sometimes they just eat a couple chips and drink half their juice. Sometimes it's hard to get the volunteers to make things, too. Lots of reasons...

I'd just go with the flow. It's just one week in a kid's life, and a special treat never hurt anyone. (If there was an allergy problem or something, I'm sure that would already be known and handled differently.)

I think that you should just chill out and serve the chips. For Pete's sake, what's a few chips going to hurt? I think it's presumptious/judgemental to add your snacks to something they are in charge of providing. The only exception would be a child with allergies.

Well, I voted to just serve the chips. I wouldn't love my kids eating chips at10 a.m, but the bottom line is that whenever they go anywhere nowadays they are given a crummy, unhealthy snack. It doesn't surprise me and I doubt anyone else will be surprised either.

It would be very kind of you to offer fruit (watermelon will go far), but not necessary.

As an aside, we recently visited a local church for the first time, and when we went to pick up Peyton from her Sunday school class, they asked to wait. We couldn't figure out why, because they weren't really doing anything. Turns out they were waiting for the Man Who Brings the Donuts every Sunday. At 11:30. :banghead:

Make sure that you take the pits out of the cherries. I wouldn't do that for my kids at home, or for my kids and their friends, but for groups of other people's kids, since some are young, you don't want the choking hazard. It may be healthy, but you gotta think liability. It's the way it is.

One thing that you might consider is checking with the moms who come: "This is the snack food we're offering. Is this all ok for your child? " That helps cut back on the liability issues in case of allergies, etc.

The snacks wouldn't bother me - but the swimming in the pool afterward would!

Are the VBS organizers providing a lifeguard or someone trained in CPR to supervise? It would make me very nervous to have children from families I do not know swimming in my pool just in case something tragic were to happen. To me that's a huge liability to take.

But maybe its a small number of kids and you already know them well enough?

I'd like to know what else they're bringing before I fuss about the chips. They're a rare treat for my kids too, so, personally I wouldn't worry about it. In the VBS's we've helped with or been to, they always had fruits and/or veggies as well each day. I wouldn't just assume that they're ONLY serving chips. You'd have to work with the fruits and veggies on the day they were being served, so it's not likely they're dropping those off early.

I also worry about the juice they're serving sometimes--Kool-aide and other drinks that are mostly sugar. BUT, for the week of VBS I go with the flow. It's just a short time and is a hill I choose NOT to die on!

I'd also just serve whatever the church provided. I imagine most parents will expect their kids will be eating more "junk" food than usual at VBS. But as a parent, I would be thrilled if the snacks were healthy! As someone else mentioned, I would be much more concerned about the swimming. Will the parents be signing some type of permission slip or waver? Our church requires everybody to sign a waver before swimming in the pool owned by the church. When we've had church sponsored swimming parties at someone's home, a parent /guardian had to stay to be responsible for their children.