Menu

Do you teach cursive?

Quiver0f10

I am on the fence with this one. My boys ages 12 and 10 haven't mastered cursive and the 12 yo's printing is still messy, so I am trying to decide if I should work on printing and just forget about cursive. Most things now adays are in print and on screen. Are they really ever going to need anything beyond being able to sign their names?

What do you think?

I did teach my older because she asked. I wouldn't have done it this early but probably would have gotten to it around 8-9yo otherwise. I think it's important to know how, even though it's not used all the time; it's easier to read cursive if you can write it too.

I like to use cursive in written letters, especially to older relatives. I have heard some grumbling from ladies at church that the thankyou notes for scholarships were printed (or forgotten), and that kind of stuck in my head, so I'll insist dd's use cursive for "more formal but too personal to type" correspondence.

I am on the fence with this one. My boys ages 12 and 10 haven't mastered cursive and the 12 yo's printing is still messy, so I am trying to decide if I should work on printing and just forget about cursive. Most things now adays are in print and on screen. Are they really ever going to need anything beyond being able to sign their names?

What do you think?

I'm in the same situation with my ds11. I decided we are dropping cursive this year and going back to working on legible printing. All I need him to be able to do is read cursive and sign his name, and he can do that. I don't see a need for it beyond that.

I teach cursive, but only so my kids can read it and sign their names. Once they have learned the letters and learn how they join, they are free to stop their cursive instruction. I do not require any of their assignments to be in cursive.

My college professors required out of class assignments to be typed and in class assignments to be printed. Cursive wasn't even allowed. I also have not seen too much cursive used in work places. Personally, I print all of my notes, cards, messages, etc.

I guess it is just one of those things that I'm not interested in pushing because I feel the need for cursive has declined. I have so many other things I would rather focus my attention on. Now if any of my kids show an interest in continuing their cursive instruction, I would be more than happy to help them.

If you are looking for some free cursive pages, Learning Page has some. You would have to sign up for a free membership to access all the pages.

There's only one other time when you might need cursive: on the SAT, you have to write a sentence in cursive, then sign your name. I don't know how strict they are about that though.

Calvin learned cursive with HWT - he needed the structure of the programme after bad teaching of printing at school. His printing still stinks but his cursive is okay.

Hobbes is learning UK-style joined up writing, which is more like italic. His printing is good, so I didn't feel the need to start him over with a completely new style. He's a perfectionist, and I felt that making him relearn everything would be cruel and unnecessary.

Laura

I had ds go through HWT cursive last year as a 2nd grader. We still have done very little practical use of it though. He forms his letters so beautifully, but it stresses him out a little, so I haven't pushed it too much.

I do think it is a necessary skill to a degree. You really need to be able to at least READ cursive and as someone said it is easier to read if you know how to write it.

DD12 did the HWT cursive books, and she's going to do HW 6 with Homesat this year - because it's got calligraphy as part of the class. I figured that would hold her interest in trying to neaten things up. She did K4-1st in a private school that did Zanner Blosser and she did well with that, but when we got home in 2nd, she apparently "forgot" how to write!

My middle one has been doing HWT, but she's really wanting to do the HW on her PHonics 1 DVDs with Mrs Walker, SO, apparently i'm ordering that book for her. SHe's never been in love with writing, so i'll take what i can get :D

I've been debating on what to do with the youngest, i guess i'll just have her do BJU Italic since we are doing homesat. I'm all about ease this week!

I am using Italic which teaches cursive, but I don't plan to get too concerned about it. I write with a style between cursive and print -- close to italic cursive but much less structured. People always say I have very neat handwriting. Most people I know have their own style of writing, anyway. My husband writes in all capitals!

For an audience, I write about 1 % compared to the 99 % I type.

DD12 did the HWT cursive books, and she's going to do HW 6 with Homesat this year - because it's got calligraphy as part of the class. I figured that would hold her interest in trying to neaten things up. She did K4-1st in a private school that did Zanner Blosser and she did well with that, but when we got home in 2nd, she apparently "forgot" how to write!

My middle one has been doing HWT, but she's really wanting to do the HW on her PHonics 1 DVDs with Mrs Walker, SO, apparently i'm ordering that book for her. SHe's never been in love with writing, so i'll take what i can get :D

I've been debating on what to do with the youngest, i guess i'll just have her do BJU Italic since we are doing homesat. I'm all about ease this week!

Tracey,

Have you used BJU phonics yet? I am debating between using the beginnings with my 5 yo or Reading Made Easy. I have bought both and can't make up my mind. I feel she will be reading quicker with RME and then we can move onto real books, but the Beginnings looks so fun and easy for me! I am curious what yout thought of BJUs' phonics program in general.

Thanks! :)

I will have my boys continue their cursive--I just ordered the Z-B handwriting books. One ds is very sloppy so I'm hoping it helps. I had to write in cursive/ and or print all through college and grad school. Most tests involved writing by hand, and I'm sure that legible writing is a help for getting better grades. Lots of note-taking too.

I am doing cursive first. I think it's important to learn at some point b/c I want my kids to be able to easily read old documents from the Dec. of Independance to letters written by great-grandma.

I am doing cursive before printing b/c my ds has fm delay and I don't want to go through this same hard work in 2-3yrs. Amazingly, even though I am "teaching" cursive, he spontaneously writes things in print so I know he will pick up printing without much effort.

eta: cursive is faster when taking notes in class, jotting down the grocery list, or scribbling down your ideas....just another pro on the list for cursive :)

it is how English is *written.*

I wanted to give my dc every advantage. Reading and writing cursive is an advantage, regardless of the fact that public schools have dumbed down everything, including requiring good penmanship.

Not that I'm the least bit opinionated about it, lol.:D

My DS has severe fine motor LD's, he is 12, with fine motor capabilities of a 5 year old.

We are now using the computer for all writing other than spelling lessons. I will teach him to sign his name, but that's all the cursive he will learn.

If DS didn't have severe LD's, I would spend a brief time teaching cursive. I wouldn't labor over it though, as most writing will be done in printing, or on a computer these days.

I'm not concerned about SAT or similar tests, as DS will need and qualify for various accommodations anyway.

Michelle T

Tracey,

Have you used BJU phonics yet? I am debating between using the beginnings with my 5 yo or Reading Made Easy. I have bought both and can't make up my mind. I feel she will be reading quicker with RME and then we can move onto real books, but the Beginnings looks so fun and easy for me! I am curious what yout thought of BJUs' phonics program in general.

Thanks! :)

We have been doing it with self teaching - and then i registered and ordered the Phonics/Reading/HW 1 DVDs from DLN. DD's learning issues mean that we go sloooowwwwwww (she struggles doing a full lesson each day- i wish i'd gone with Beginnings for her), but it's clicking with her, and that is all that matters.

I have to say, i'm BEYOND pleased with the Homesat presentation - we are only on day 4 of using it, but it's great. She has a great composition lesson to start off, then phonics, HW is like 5-10 minutes, then reading. Mrs Walker makes it great fun. And in i was already on board with the BJU approach to phonics, i'm probably going to be very biased in my opinion. I can say that the set of DVDs i bought was $212 with shipping, and it was worth EVERY. PENNY. Even DH is amazed at her "opening up" in the 3 days of lessons. I made her back up a week to use it as a review to get used to the format. Last night was the first night EVER she would read to DH though, so he thought that was cool.

I think i recorded the sample lessons of K5 - did you get to see that? I haven't watched it, but i could figure out where it is and send it to you if you want. They will replay them the first week in August too.

ANYWAY, i'm guessing either approach would work great, and the Phonics in 1st grade goes faster, but she will get it all if you switch her to it next year.

Of course...

it is how English is *written.*

I wanted to give my dc every advantage. Reading and writing cursive is an advantage, regardless of the fact that public schools have dumbed down everything, including requiring good penmanship.

Not that I'm the least bit opinionated about it, lol.:D

Wow -- this seems a little harsh -- essentially saying that those not enforcing cursive writing (1) do so because they copy the public schools and (2) are dumbing their children down.

I really want my children to spend time on those things which are essential and necessary. We are using the Italic program, and though they will be required to work through the program, beautiful cursive is not necessary in our society -- not even to read documents. This is what I like about the italic program -- it lacks all of the fuss that traditional cursive requires. Though I do not write with traditional cursive, I have no problem reading it. In fact, many children learn to read before learning how to write neatly.

Wow -- this seems a little harsh -- essentially saying that those not enforcing cursive writing (1) do so because they copy the public schools and (2) are dumbing their children down.

Well, the public schools have not seriously taught cursive in many, many years. Don't you think it's possible that many hsers today are products of those public schools, and that's why they don't see the need for it?

Well, the public schools have not seriously taught cursive in many, many years. Don't you think it's possible that many hsers today are products of those public schools, and that's why they don't see the need for it?

I would disagree with this. We had to learn cursive when I was in school, and the schools around here still teach it. I still don't see the need for cursive. I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to spend a lot of time learning and perfecting their cursiving handwriting. However, it is not something that I choose to spend a lot of time on with my kids. I would never tell my kids that couldn't use or practice cursive, but it is not something I will require beyond the basics.

My oldest is a reluctant writer, so we took handwriting very slowly. I focus on quality rather than quantity. When we switched to cursive, I used Cursive Connections, because I loved the simplicity of it. We did about 10 minutes a day. He'd write only one or two letters, and then we'd talk about it. He started in 3rd grade. He's starting 5th. He's not quite finished with cursive, but his penmanship is really nice (in the cursive book... we're still working on notebook paper) and more importantly, he's really proud of it. Most days in the beginning, he'd only do 1 line total. We'd find the best one together, and put a star under it. He was always proud of his work. Super small baby steps helped us get through. I don't expect as much trouble with my 2nd born (a daughter) but cursive is one hill that was tough to climb and we both are pretty glad we kept at it.

We have been doing it with self teaching - and then i registered and ordered the Phonics/Reading/HW 1 DVDs from DLN. DD's learning issues mean that we go sloooowwwwwww (she struggles doing a full lesson each day- i wish i'd gone with Beginnings for her), but it's clicking with her, and that is all that matters.

I have to say, i'm BEYOND pleased with the Homesat presentation - we are only on day 4 of using it, but it's great. She has a great composition lesson to start off, then phonics, HW is like 5-10 minutes, then reading. Mrs Walker makes it great fun. And in i was already on board with the BJU approach to phonics, i'm probably going to be very biased in my opinion. I can say that the set of DVDs i bought was $212 with shipping, and it was worth EVERY. PENNY. Even DH is amazed at her "opening up" in the 3 days of lessons. I made her back up a week to use it as a review to get used to the format. Last night was the first night EVER she would read to DH though, so he thought that was cool.

I think i recorded the sample lessons of K5 - did you get to see that? I haven't watched it, but i could figure out where it is and send it to you if you want. They will replay them the first week in August too.

ANYWAY, i'm guessing either approach would work great, and the Phonics in 1st grade goes faster, but she will get it all if you switch her to it next year.

I didn't get to see the sample class because we got our stuff set up too late. I would love to see it if you could email it somehow? Thanks for the review!

I plan on teaching my kids cursive. I really debated between transitioning to cursive eventually or do Italic (because I think it looks beautiful!). I decided to teach cursive because I have found it is it is much easier and faster to get your thoughts down on paper with connected writing. My own handwriting varies depending on what I am writing or how fast I need to write. Sometimes it is more like Italic - sometimes more like Calvert Script. Eventually, they'll tweak their handwriting to what is most comfortable for them anyway so I just want to introduce a basic cursive and see what happens from there.