Menu

Forget kitchen jealousy, I'm lusting after a coffee maker!

How pathetic is this?

Recently I was visiting my Friend Who Always Has the Best and Coolest new Gadgets and Appliances. She offered me a cup of coffee, which I declined because it was late afternoon at the time. Then I walked into her kitchen and saw this.

It was love008.gif at first sight. Right away I realized that I did indeed want a cup of coffee. She had about 10 different varieties of coffee in these neat little cups. The coffee was really, really good.

So I went home and looked it up and saw the price and gagged.

I have researched it and found the least expensive way to get the model that I want and I know how to get the coffee refills relatively inexpensively.

But there is no room in the budget for this.

In my mind I know that if I have $160 to spend on a coffee maker I should take that money and improve my kitchen.

But in my heart I want that coffee maker.

A freshly brewed cup of delicious coffee in 30 seconds flat!

Small children can be taught to use it.

It can also be used for tea and hot chocolate.

I can get it for Christmas if I want, but my passion is too strong to wait for five more months.

Maybe my French Press will meet an unfortunate demise? Ooops! shocked034.gif

We have one, I am not into cleaning out pots all the time, but it is only two of us. And most of the time , just me.

Love it. But if you have company that drinks coffee all the time. You get to wait and refill instead of just pouring pot.

Jet

It does sound like a good Christmas gift for you...a nice cup of hot coffee in winter time is so nice.

I love my little Gevalia-I've had it for 15 years! I prefer to grind my beans and make a very, very strong pot of coffee, so I don't think the little cups would work for me.

It does sound like a good Christmas gift for you...a nice cup of hot coffee in winter time is so nice.

I love my little Gevalia-I've had it for 15 years! I prefer to grind my beans and make a very, very strong pot of coffee, so I don't think the little cups would work for me.

I know what you mean. I grind my own beans and I like my coffee strong too. I was skeptical at first, but this coffee is really something. They obviously grind those beans and then seal them right up, because the coffee is fresh tasting. And you can control the strength of the brew, alternate between various sizes of cups, etc.

Wait till you come over and taste coffee from my new brewing method. :D (are you still coming over to play?)

Oooooohhhhh, I can't wait. I'll be there in an hour! :D

Yes, yes, yes, I really want to come. I can't believe how quickly this summer is passing by. Can we do it next week? If not, we have to wait til the 2nd week of August. Unreal! :glare:

I love my Keurig!!!! It's perfect for me because I'm a "one-cupper" kind a gal! And it's wonderful how quick it brews! I also use it to run hot water for cocoa or when I need a cup of hot water for oatmeal, etc.

See, that's just it. There are days that I only end up drinking one cup, other days that I happily drink the whole pot. And then there are days when I drink one cup more than I really want in order to avoid wasting coffee I've already brewed. Unfortunately I don't always know what kind of day I'm going to have when I brew the pot.

See, that's just it. There are days that I only end up drinking one cup, other days that I happily drink the whole pot. And then there are days when I drink one cup more than I really want in order to avoid wasting coffee I've already brewed. Unfortunately I don't always know what kind of day I'm going to have when I brew the pot.

Well, there's your answer. Think about how much money you'll save on coffee. It'll practically pay for itself.

Barb

So I went home and looked it up and saw the price and gagged.

I have researched it and found the least expensive way to get the model that I want and I know how to get the coffee refills relatively inexpensively.

But there is no room in the budget for this.

In my mind I know that if I have $160 to spend on a coffee maker I should take that money and improve my kitchen.

I can get it for Christmas if I want, but my passion is too strong to wait for five more months.

Anj, won't it be rather expensive to have to buy those little *pods*? I can see the temptation being able to select all these different flavors. Also, what do you do when you need a pot of coffee? Can it brew more than one cup at a time?

Anj, won't it be rather expensive to have to buy those little *pods*? I can see the temptation being able to select all these different flavors. Also, what do you do when you need a pot of coffee? Can it brew more than one cup at a time?

Liz,

I had no idea you were so practical! :D

Actually, I priced it out and the pods are a little more expensive than the Starbucks that I usually drink. Just a little. But I'm thinking that I'll drink less on average because I won't feel obligated to finish a pot, or just pour one down the drain.

Also, you can buy the pods at Bed, Bath, and Beyond with a 20% coupon, which brings the cost down. Also, my Friend Who Always Has the Best and Coolest new Gadgets and Appliances buys them in bulk someplace along with one of her neighbors, so if I jump in with them I'll get a volume discount. So it's not as much as you'd think.

And I'd keep a pot around just in case. I have a French Press right now, and I'll keep it if I need it. But actually I often find that when I do have guests some want regular and some want decaf (and some want tea) so with this I'd be able to give each person exactly what they want.:001_smile:

I'd like one of those too because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house and frequently drink instant because I'm too busy/tired/lazy to make a pot (some brands of instant are better than others thankfully).

The cold brew technique was under consideration for awhile until I realized how expensive it would be to use way more coffee than usual to make the concentrate. I'm still considering that though. Still cheaper than the local coffee place or Starbucks, which I'm generally too tight to indulge in. Thankfully the parents of my co-op class students know this and shower me with gift cards periodically!

The cold brew technique was under consideration for awhile until I realized how expensive it would be to use way more coffee than usual to make the concentrate. I'm still considering that though.

I'm one of those people that brews 8 cups and drinks 6 (why? I don't know, but whenever I brewed 6 it didn't feel like enough :tongue_smilie:) Anyway, I'm taking that into consideration, no more wasted coffee. 1 pound looks like it's going to last a week here, even with me drinking more iced coffee than usual. We normally would go through 13 oz in a week of auto drip coffee.

I rarely make any at home anymore. I was a decaf girl to begin with. Dh would humor me (and his arrythmia) by taking a travel mug of our decaf with him in the mornings, then he'd proceed to drink 6 or more cups of regular coffee all day long at the shop. Now, with him off coffee completely, I'm just making tea in the morning. Making a single cup of coffee in my big, honkin' Capresso machine is stupid. I'm thinking of selling it in exchange for a French press. Anj, hon', maybe we should talk? Oh, and for the record, our machine was a gift from my MIL, who doesn't even drink coffee.

BTW, is it just me, or does the lady on that Keurig website look like she's just about to take a kitchen knife to someone?

I'm one of those people that brews 8 cups and drinks 6 (why? I don't know, but whenever I brewed 6 it didn't feel like enough :tongue_smilie:) Anyway, I'm taking that into consideration, no more wasted coffee. 1 pound looks like it's going to last a week here, even with me drinking more iced coffee than usual. We normally would go through 13 oz in a week of auto drip coffee.

Yes, I tend to make a pot and throw out half of it. I also like that it's supposedly less acidic, which is an issue for me at times. Maybe I'll consider it for Christmas for me?

And when I woke up this morning literally thinking about this thread and the coffee maker I remembered something.

For another $15 you can buy a little insert that can be filled with your own coffee if you prefer that. So you could still buy your preferred brand of coffee, measure out the right amount, put it in this thing, and voila!

So that takes away the concern about always having to buy the K-cups, you know?

And when I woke up this morning literally thinking about this thread and the coffee maker I remembered something.

For another $15 you can buy a little insert that can be filled with your own coffee if you prefer that. So you could still buy your preferred brand of coffee, measure out the right amount, put it in this thing, and voila!

I was just about to post this. We rarely use the k cups because it does add up. We bought our keurig at target for $109. We've had ours for over a year. Our model doesn't select the strength or size though. Still, I love it. And yes, my dd can operate it and often brings me coffee in bed. How's that for extra credit?

And yes, my dd can operate it and often brings me coffee in bed. How's that for extra credit?

Absolutely!! This is sounding more and more like a school related expense. I don't really need to buy IEW, do I? It can wait, can't it? ;)

It's fun to dream about nifty little gadgets. If I were you, I'd give myself a date/deadline. About 6 weeks out. If I still wanted it at that point, and had saved the money for it, I'd buy it, no hesitation. Lots can change in a month. You may find that you want to enjoy your friend's coffee pot whenever you've over, but not have one yourself. This is like my BFF's hot paraffin bath. I don't need one... we enjoy hers!

Sounds cool though!

It's fun to dream about nifty little gadgets. If I were you, I'd give myself a date/deadline. About 6 weeks out. If I still wanted it at that point, and had saved the money for it, I'd buy it, no hesitation. Lots can change in a month. You may find that you want to enjoy your friend's coffee pot whenever you've over, but not have one yourself. This is like my BFF's hot paraffin bath. I don't need one... we enjoy hers!

Sounds cool though!

This is an excellent point. It's actually been about three weeks since I first experienced hers, so I'm halfway there.

I can put away enough money, I think. I actually still have $50 that mil sent me for Mother's Day. I've been saving it for something special, so there you go!

My mom gave us one of these. As far as we're concerned, the little thingies are too expensive. We only drag it out in the winter for the children to make hot chocolate with. Coffee's coffee.

WHAT??? OMG! YOU NEED A GOOD WHOOPIN'! Coffee's NOT coffee! Please don't tell me you drink that stuff out of a can? OH no! That just won't do! I think I need to come over and give you a coffee lesson. It's all in the bean, roasting, and the grinding. Mess up one, and the rest is shot! :lol: Seriously Remudamom...:scared:

Making a single cup of coffee in my big, honkin' Capresso machine is stupid. I'm thinking of selling it in exchange for a French press. Anj, hon', maybe we should talk? Oh, and for the record, our machine was a gift from my MIL, who doesn't even drink coffee.

BTW, is it just me, or does the lady on that Keurig website look like she's just about to take a kitchen knife to someone?

That Capresso machine is a thing of beauty. Alas, I already have an espresso/cappuccino maker sitting in my basement wondering why it never gets used.

Doran, definitely get yourself a French Press. They make fabulous coffee and you can make just a little. They come in various sizes. I even have a stainless steel FP travel mug. I bought it at Starbucks.

And I agree...I don't like the way that woman is smiling over the top of her cup. Something is not right about that.....

I have the insert too and use it sometimes......mostly when I run out of pods! I keep some Starbucks coffee in my freezer for those little "emergencies"! :lol:

I also wanted to tell you that I always run two cups of coffee with one pod. The 2nd cup is a little weaker, but I like it. I usually give dh the stronger first cup and I enjoy the 2nd.

I have the insert too and use it sometimes......mostly when I run out of pods! I keep some Starbucks coffee in my freezer for those little "emergencies"! :lol:

I also wanted to tell you that I always run two cups of coffee with one pod. The 2nd cup is a little weaker, but I like it. I usually give dh the stronger first cup and I enjoy the 2nd.

Oooooh, I never thought of that!

I just spoke with dh and told him about this thread. He thinks we're pretty funny, especially the part about considering the coffee maker to be a school related necessity. :lol::lol: