Menu

Besides thyroid diseases what causes hair to fall out?

I have thyroid disease (Grave's) but I'm not symptomatic. I wouldn't know I had thyroid issues if I hadn't dealt with it for the past several years. Nothing in the hyper or hypo.

All of a sudden my hair is coming out almost by the handful. Any ideas?

I have thyroid disease (Grave's) but I'm not symptomatic. I wouldn't know I had thyroid issues if I hadn't dealt with it for the past several years. Nothing in the hyper or hypo.

All of a sudden my hair is coming out almost by the handful. Any ideas?

Well, your thyroid levels might be shifting.

Also, hereditary hair patterns can cause this, especially if it's all coming out from the top and crown of your head (like many men experience.)

I had this happen once. It made me sick to look at the drain after a shower.

I was tested for thyroid, ferritin, and hormone levels. All that was normal, but I did have a B12 deficiency. About three months before I got sick with a GI problem. My diet was very limited, and I lost a lot of weight. I think that's what did it for me. Could it have been your weight loss? Was it slow or rapid, as mentioned in Jean's link?

I hope it stops soon. :grouphug:

I apparently was losing hair too due to low thyroid levels. I didn't reaize it because I have very thick hair. Well, now that I'm on medication my hair is even thicker and I can tell (especially since it's the middle of summer).

Of course, it could be the kids they're causing you to yank it out. ;)

I had this happen once. It made me sick to look at the drain after a shower.

I was tested for thyroid, ferritin, and hormone levels. All that was normal, but I did have a B12 deficiency. About three months before I got sick with a GI problem. My diet was very limited, and I lost a lot of weight. I think that's what did it for me. Could it have been your weight loss? Was it slow or rapid, as mentioned in Jean's link?

I hope it stops soon. :grouphug:

I thought B12 too, but I eat eggs almost every day so that shouldn't be a problem. The weight loss was very slow.

im sorry...I am having a lot of hair falling out too...but not handfuls. I just increased my synthroid but I am waiting to see the levels friday. I figured it would have lessened with the increased meds but mine is falling out more now. :confused:

Are you using Wen products on your hair? They're sold on QVC and a lot of people rave about them, but my experience was that it caused hair loss. I read on the QVC forums that many other people have had the same problem, so that's why I thought I'd mention it.

If you've changed hair care products in the last few months, the new products might be the culprit. (If not, and you are in otherwise good health, I would suspect that stress might be the issue.)

No. Not really. We became vegetarian and I lost 10 pounds but pretty much holding steady for about 2.5 weeks.

Make sure you are getting some good fats. I was following McDougall and lost a lot of weight, but my hair started falling out. I am pretty sure it was due to the extreme low fat diet. Once I added some healthy fats back into my diet the hair loss stopped. I added nuts, seeds, avocado, flax seeds etc.

stress

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can definitely tell when I am at my max for stress absorption. Handfuls.Scary.

Getting a trim helps, even if it's just half an inch or so.

Also try switching shampoos. Pantene is a real culprit. Not sure which ingredient causes the fallout, but it always starts happening about a third of the way into a bottle.

Do you have any other symptoms of low iron? Crunching/craving ice? Fatigue? Usually by the time my hair starts falling due to low iron, I'm already having other symptoms.

stress (me)

diet (me)

thyroid issues

low iron (me)

post pregnancy (me)

vitamin D deficiency (me)

AND

*I know you didn't specifically ask so...disregard at will.

get yourself some Marlyn Formula 50

Stops loss in a couple of days and promotes growth.

No "take for months and wait and see" (I'm a tad impatient - need results YESTERDAY)

(but you take 6 a day. not necessarily all at once. This is not unpleasant- they are soft and smell like a hint of vanilla.)

Other options:

Ultra Nourish Hair GNC

biotin

MSM capsules

iron supplements

garlic

healthy fats - flax, fish oil, ***COD LIVER Oil

and WATER

(this info. may be a help to someone)

Edited by Karis